Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
Well.. yes and no.

Not to get into semantics, but before I'd say it's used to "enforce" patriotism, I'd sooner describe it as a mutually beneficial tool; the powers that be in sports use it to channel patriotism, giving their participants, both fans and athletes alike, that extra percentile of enthusiasm. Therein you see the next point I don't quite agree with you on—that it has NOTHING to do with the players; I look at it as them taking a bit of national pride in the country of their employment, as well as infusing that extra step for one or two of the Canadians in the line-up.

I actually don't have a problem with the spirit of the idea, and, thus, don't really want that to change (agree with you that it won't).. I just have different ideas about how it should be implemented, is all. The players often appear to be going through the motions, when you'd like to think hearing the anthem, no matter their nationality, would send chills down their spines; Bradley has said that it really gets them up for the match, but, judging from one or two of their performances, especially down the stretch, one wonders just how much of that is him patronising us (no pun intended).

Maybe, for many of the players new to the country, it's too much, too soon, to be hearing it every week.. whereas, were it to be only on select occasions they could point to, it'd last longer in memory, and really get them going, the next time 'round. This is why I thought that at the season's beginning and end—also perhaps for every playoff and/or cup game—they could reserve anthems for then; in moderation, I think it could really be something special, and as it should be.

That said, I can understand someone maybe preferring to build a tradition of singing it every time.. but, as said, it's just not for me, and for the reasons above; I'd personally love belting it out, as I'm sure many fans do, but to ensure it always means something to all involved, maybe finding a middle ground would make it special for the players, as well as only enhancing the effect on those of whom it never gets old for.

I wonder if there's ever been a thought to break out the national anthem during games—perhaps near the end (to space things out)—if only to engage the crowd with something surely familiar for all. Don't really follow the club, but I always admired the camaraderie shown by Liverpool supporters, to sing "YNWA" towards the conclusion of a match, win, lose or draw. If the anthem could be used to similar affect, then this more organic approach could blossom nicely, as away from how the club now instructs every one to raise their scarves.
it has happened.
one of the last home games this year the bunker belted it out.