Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My biggest worry with Tim L. is that it seems (and I know I am dealing with perceptions of Tim L. through the media) everytime he talks about TFC, any sense of strategy in the area of player acquisition goes out the window.

So Tim L says Defoe was not a mistake, he could be great in MLS, we have his contract and anyone who wants him will have to pay BIG, I tell you BIG money (I just imagine the QPR owner hearing that and adjusting the offer downwards).

So Tim L says IF we sell Defoe, we already know exactly, precisely the guy we are going to sign as a DP in his place ( I just imagine that somewhere the agent for said player, hearing that all eggs are heading to his basket, just adjusted the contract demands upward).

And Tim L. says that TFC fans will be happy when all the dealings done....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And we end up with the buying power of Columbus, or if we are lucky, SKC.

Not sure I like that idea at all.
    I don't think that's true, unless we get purchased by someone really small and rinky-dink owner (which I would think is unlikely given the size of our market).

MLSE outside of putting the stadium downtown has been a huge negative to this team. We need people with a direct vested interest, not bloated and disconnected corporate boards where management is preoccupied and hugely political.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't think that's true, unless we get purchased by someone really small and rinky-dink owner (which I would think is unlikely given the size of our market).

MLSE outside of putting the stadium downtown has been a huge negative to this team. We need people with a direct vested interest, not bloated and disconnected corporate boards where management is preoccupied and hugely political.
    You can say same for Raptors who have suffer a lot from MLSE ownership, but I highly doubt Raptors will ever be sold due to new US TV contract that makes NHL TV contract look like minor league.

Point is: TFC is going to suffer same fate as Raptors until the league grows financially. These board members think money not on-field results.

Larry T is rumour to behind Tim L firing because Larry didn't like how much money Tim Leiweke was spending on TFC and Raptors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two main issues with Tim L.

1) The guarantee. You never issue a guarantee unless you can guarantee that you'll honour that guarantee! I'm all for confidence and positivity. He should have said something like "Our aim this season is to make the play-offs. Anything short of that would be an unimaginable and catastrophic failure..." etc etc. However, having given 'the guarantee' he should back it up not just with words but with something tangible. A "free" something of real value or a cash refund for 10% of the cost of a 2014 season ticket, or a genuine and valuable discount, etc. Words are cheap. MLSE have very deep pockets. Words do not cut it, something that has a direct cash value is necessary (and I'm not talking about a barbecue, a tuque or a magnetic fridge calendar).

2) Tim L publicly calling out Defoe for wanting to leave: “My attitude if you want to be here and you want to buy into what we’re doing, let’s go. Roll up your sleeves and we’ll fight together. And I will be there with you every day.If you don’t want to be here, get the hell out of our way” when just a few days earlier Tim L had himself quit MLSE: "...with new opportunities on the horizon, it’s time for me to begin the transition from sports and entertainment executive to entrepreneur.” Regardless of what really happened between Defoe and TFC and what happened between Leiweke and MLSE, I found then and still find now Tim L's public words hypocritical and ridiculous. I agree with his comments on Defoe but even if Tim L wanted to stay here long-term as some have suggested and he is actually being forced out, the optics of his comments on Defoe reek of hypocrisy and showboating. You can't call out someone for not being committed to the cause when a few days earlier you quit that cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I just don't see the value in guaranteeing an outcome that you don't control.

I can see value in setting a goal. I can see value in motivating people to achieve the goal. That's different than a guarantee.

Since the future isn't written the guarantee is worthless because there is no consequence of not achieving it.

You can guarantee that a product will work. If it doesn't, the promise is to replace it. The consumer is assured of a working product over the term of the guarantee.

You can't guarantee a sports outcome unless you are featured in a Declan Hill book.
    from that perspective, i cannot disagree ... and loved your last line.

personally, i was speaking specifically about adding pressure; which a goal or, in this case, the 'guarantee', was intended to do. again, i think it was poor judgement but then there is the marketing or selling perspective also, which leiweke was clearly aiming for here. in any case, i don't see his guarantee as a significant factor in the team's failure to make the playoffs. too many other distractions and failures thrown into that mix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I know exactly who we will sign if Defoe leaves" is not a credible statement, and it's a childish thing to say even if it were true. The guy's need to be an all seeing, all knowing deity is kind of pathetic.

1) Leiweke is a lame duck. Who says he can deliver anything?
    2) By definition, the unnamed player could back out
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    "I know exactly who we will sign if Defoe leaves" is not a credible statement, and it's a childish thing to say even if it were true. The guy's need to be an all seeing, all knowing deity is kind of pathetic.

1) Leiweke is a lame duck. Who says he can deliver anything?
    2) By definition, the unnamed player could back out
    I'm pretty sure if Tim L has someone in mind that he would want to bring in too replace Defoe he would express to said player that he would be leaving.

I think they've had targets lined up even after they signed Defoe and Bradley.