Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Jones finally saw the fountain pic...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    If we are worried about rewarding the highest seed, we may as well cut the crap and get rid of the playoffs altogether.

Highest seed should just get to host the second leg of the Final. That way we get two sellouts and not only one.
    MLS is not the only football league in the world to have playoffs, and playoffs is part of North American sporting tradition. Just because the EPL/Serie A/etc. don't have it doesn't mean it's not legitimate. Mexico has playoffs, and Brazil had them until 2003.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    MLS is not the only football league in the world to have playoffs, and playoffs is part of North American sporting tradition. Just because the EPL/Serie A/etc. don't have it doesn't mean it's not legitimate. Mexico has playoffs, and Brazil had them until 2003.
    Not sure where I mentioned any other league in my post but thank you for bringing up Mexico's Liguilla which employs a 2 legged Final which was precisely what I was advocating for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    And yet polls of MLS fans in successive years on their own site have favored single table for the title.

That doesn't mean getting rid of playoffs, you just use them to award a cup instead of the MLS title; to me it just makes sense to award it to the team that performed best over the longest portion of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And yet polls of MLS fans in successive years on their own site have favored single table for the title.
    But that's not possible unless you either limit the number of teams or increase the number of games. I think 34 is about the most the league can fit into our seasonal climate. Most cities in North America want to be considered "Major League", hence the need for more than 20 teams. I'm thinking MLS will stabilize at 28 teams for a while (since there is more interest in franchises than there are spots available in a 24 team league), moving those teams around to new locations if required. For teams to play each other at least once in a season and also have home-and-away rivalries, you'll have to divide the clubs into conferences and divisions. Once you get beyond 32 teams, you'll pretty much have to play one game against each team per season anyways, so the upper limit on League size is about 35 teams.

Anyways, the playoffs will probably be held at 12 teams since that matches the NFL's format (so it's expandable all the way to 32 teams if they want [Hmmm, 8 divisions of 4 teams each? That would be just like our own little World Cup!]). The top two teams in each conference will have a bye while the next 4 teams will have a play-in round. Then the rest of the format will continue the same as it is now.

But no matter the format, it really shouldn't concern us since TFC will never make the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet polls of MLS fans in successive years on their own site....
    Self selected poll - worthless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meeting up with some friends to watch the game at Football Factory.

Where's everyone else tuning in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Meeting up with some friends to watch the game at Football Factory.

Where's everyone else tuning in?
    From the comfort of my own home. YEAH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post
    From the comfort of my own home. YEAH!
    Same here. Popping open a fine Belgian beer, and, watching some football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope LA wins the cup today as I think they have been the best in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit... TSN...enough of the women's curling. The match is over, switch to the football already!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doesn't mean getting rid of playoffs, you just use them to award a cup instead of the MLS title; to me it just makes sense to award it to the team that performed best over the longest portion of the season.
    This is the biggest dilemma facing MLS - do they want to appal to these fans and remain at this level of popularity (and the current level of TV ratings) or do they want to be as popular as other North American leagues?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mullins having an unreal game.

He was taken right after Hagglund.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL...reminded me of Bendik picking up Felipe in the Montreal game.

Wasn't the prettiest game, but, some decent drama in the end.
    Now let's get TFC there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

During the game yesterday, ESPN announced coverage of their first MLS game in March 2015.
    Last year the schedule was released in November . . .
    We haven't found the 2015 schedule anywhere. Does anyone know where the new schedule may be found?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayMolly View Post
    During the game yesterday, ESPN announced coverage of their first MLS game in March 2015.
    Last year the schedule was released in November . . .
    We haven't found the 2015 schedule anywhere. Does anyone know where the new schedule may be found?

They likely haven't announced any schedules for next year yet, because there isn't a new CBA yet.
    Still potential of a lock-out causing delayed start to the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone watch the game. I completely lost interest during that two week break. I thought the mls cup was Saturday not sunday. Any word on ratings? If beckham couldn't break a million in the US doubt this years game could have.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Did anyone watch the game. I completely lost interest during that two week break. I thought the mls cup was Saturday not sunday. Any word on ratings? If beckham couldn't break a million in the US doubt this years game could have.
    0.6 rating
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    They likely haven't announced any schedules for next year yet, because there isn't a new CBA yet.
    Still potential of a lock-out causing delayed start to the season.
    ^
    Good point. Thanks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    http://www.empireofsoccer.com/increa...wership-30763/

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we'll see a really big rise in ratings with the arrival of NYCFC and the new TV deal. Much more incentive for everyone to market the shit out of their games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about canadian ratings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    how about canadian ratings

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...194124449.html