Page 71 of 134 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    As much as I would love Hutch and would love to see him play for us, I think you might be overstating his marketability here in Toronto. He would be marketable to CMNT fans, and local football nerds, but I think it's not off to presume that all of those are already in the house. I would actually think that most casual/euro soccer fans don't even know who he is.

Also, Michael Bradley is 27. We will be able to build around him for at least another six seasons. Hutchinson though will only last maybe 2 or 3 more.
    Euro soccer fans will never support MLS until it becomes a top tier league. So TFC current market is CMNT and local football nerds who a lot of them stop supporting TFC (either to losing or pricing them out).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Euro soccer fans will never support MLS until it becomes a top tier league. So TFC current market is CMNT and local football nerds who a lot of them stop supporting TFC (either to losing or pricing them out).
    Not sure about that - in my section, somebody always said "So where's Defoe?" when he was injured or "Where's Bradley?" when he was with the USMNT.

The market for TFC is in casual soccer fans who don't know all the news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure about that - in my section, somebody always said "So where's Defoe?" when he was injured or "Where's Bradley?" when he was with the USMNT.

I know Defoe got some EPL fans to get SSH and buy Defoe jerseys, but I haven't come across Bradley fan across the city. It's only this board where I find Bradley fans.

Euro soccer fans in this city don't only support EPL (which TFC is targeting with Defoe signing), but also support other big Euro leagues. I don't see too many non-EPL Euro fans supporting TFC due to quality of the league.

The fact TV numbers suggest non-MLS games still beat MLS numbers (despite being on prime time) should be an issue to MLS.
    Last edited by TFC07; 01-13-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Get off of the soap box for a minute, this only Canary10's perception,ffs
    It's reality my friend. Open your eyes, Bradley runs this team (both on and off-field now). It has been reported all decisions is being run by Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Defoe got some EPL fans to get SSH and buy Defoe jerseys, but I haven't come across Bradley fan across the city. It's only this board where I find Bradley fans.

Euro soccer fans in this city don't only support EPL (which TFC is targeting with Defoe signing), but also support other big Euro leagues. I don't see too many non-EPL Euro fans supporting TFC due to quality of the league.

The fact TV numbers suggest non-MLS games still beat MLS numbers (despite being on prime time) should be an issue to MLS.
    agreed get a player like a Nani or a Giovinco and watch the demographics change. MLS doesnt have to be the best, it just has to be good enough
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 01-13-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's reality my friend. Open your eyes, Bradley runs this team (both on and off-field now). It has been reported all decisions is being run by Bradley.
    Yes, you are right.

As I said all of this is water under the bridge, if TFC begin to perform and become competitive no matter whom is running the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    agreed get a player like a Nani or a Giovani and watch the demographics change. MLS doesnt have to be the best, it just has to be good enough
    funny you mention Nani, I'm a Utd fan and would love to get rid of him, but problem is he signed a 5 yr contract in 2013 at approx 76k quid per week. Anyone who wants him has to meet those wages but also pay a transfer fee of prob 10-15 million quid. He's doing very well in Portugal right now on loan but there is no way Sporting can afford him.
    He'd be different class in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

In the same vein, had a guy and his son behind us at the final game of the season wondering why Julio Cesar wasn't in net for TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Defoe was playing primarily in the Europa League before he left Spurs (due to a stupid 30 million pound buy of Roberto Soldado who has been a complete dud). He was scoring just fine in Europa (7 goals in 5 games I believe).
    Against A Georgian team, a Norwegian team, a Russian team (Anzhi, who were in some stage of their free fall at the time) and a moldovan team. All of whom would be in or around mid-table in the championship in terms of talent. Maybe lower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC manager Greg Vanney said the situation with Jermain Defoe "seems like it changes every 15 minutes. I can't keep track." Vanney added that there were new scenarios and new clubs entering the conversation every day. Given how in flux the situation is, Vanney says the plan is for Defoe to still to report to Toronto when training camp opens.
    "The scenario that changes things [for Defoe] hasn't really been finalized, so we'll see where that goes," he said.
    Vanney added that in terms of Jozy Altidore, TFC is waiting on the league to complete the negotiations.
    "It's the league that is driving that process to get [Altidore] signed," he said.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...w-york-city-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you are right.

As I said all of this is water under the bridge, if TFC begin to perform and become competitive no matter whom is running the team.
    I heard Bradley has asked for the ball 'n net to be removed from the urinals. Whaddya think of him now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not like he's out there telling Bez who he may and may not sign and telling Vanney where he can fucking sit when the team gets lunch. Bradley gets input, a voice, because he's the most talented player in the league and is more committed to getting decisions right and bringing in the right people than anyone else, but he's not making the final decisions and ordering around his employers. There's no one reporting or suggesting it's anything more than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley also probably has the longest contract on organization

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, but MLSE is going to except use these signings as an excuse to jack up prices. So yes, signing someone like Bradley and Jozy for $6 million does affect us. If they're going to spend that much, than they can get better and higher profile players that this city would actually rally behind and support this club. If you look at Bradley signing, how many people jump on bandwagon? If you go around the city and ask who Bradley is, how many of them know about him? If not a lot, then can you agree Bradley is failure in marketing POV? Since Bradley was crap on the field last season, it's easy to understand why people don't consider him worth $6 million. If Bradley doesn't play well in this upcoming season, then what is your excuse going to be this time around?

My ticket stayed the same last season despite The Bloody Big deal. It's the same this season too. it'll go up when we win, which I'm fine with within reason.

And no, They actually can't really get better and higher profile players. Bradley makes a similar amount to Thomas Vermaelen, less than Mikel Arteta, just as random points of reference. any player playing in a big league and is an international and of similiar stature to the Bradley's are going to want a massive pay rise similiar to the 200-300% Bradley got and Altidore might get. We could only pay people like this that much because the teams interested in them can't offer the money we can and they aren't quite good enough for the big, big teams who wouldn't blink at paying their players that much. For instance, Bradley could easily slot in at a mid-table PL team. But it's really not a good idea for a mid-table PL team to pay a dude 70K a week. So we have to overpay guys on who are already on 20-30k a week. We can't tell a guy making 80k and in contention for champions league football to come to us for 85k a week, we'd have to give him a fucking insane raise, like north of 180k a week to get him to come, and even then I think it would be very difficult to get the guy, especially if he's in his prime like Bradley and Altidore are.

honestly when the signing happened the general reaction from every single person I talked to not on this board was "well TFC have two stars now but the team's still shit and they'll always be shit." Many of the people I talked to around that time who didn't follow TFC or football in general knew we got Bradley, and that he had a high pedigree to some degree and he was pretty fucking good, because we marketed the fuck out of him and people got the idea. What will get people in the stadium is winning more and more games, that's all people care about. It was obvious during the summer even. The stadium was more full than I've seen it in years on not the best of days weather wise but people were there because we were successful for at least a short period of time. We sold out the stadium for three straight years when literally the only product we had to offer was a great atmosphere and some hope for the future. People want to see a winning team here above all else.

Excuse for what? I don't know what you're asking. It doesn't really matter regardless. Bradley will be an MVP contender and all will end well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case anybody was taking the Leicester in for Bradley thing seriously, thus sayeth his agent:

Ron Waxman
    ‏@RonWaxman 30m30 minutes ago .@TimPearsonMedia I can unequivocally state that there has been no contact by #Leicester regarding Michael Bradley. #TFC #LCFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all of the insightful analysis and comments, and I do not claim to be as insightful and have all the right answers as some here, I must say one thing, You know this will all be forgotten and water under the bridge if TFC start winning, god how fickle we as supporters have become.

It's the syndrome dude, I'm telling ya. If something bad can happen, most people are going to think it will, and everything that's good actually is the worst thing ever. It's like some sort of perverted Murphy's Law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Bradley also probably has the longest contract on organization
    I 100% want my best player to be in the know of the moves that are being put forward and to have input. He's want makes this group tick. Well he wasn't last year but if he's playing at his true form he can and will move this team forward. He doesn't need help though.

When Defoe I was signed I remember thinking ... and then the news came that Bradley signed: .

I hope we manage to get rid of Defoe this month and pave the way for some new talent to come in. People that want to play for the CREST on the jersey.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a 2.5 year contract according to my Google translation. This is the one rumour that truly excites me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone know when CBA talks are actually supposed to start? have they already? pre-season starts at the end of the month...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    does anyone know when CBA talks are actually supposed to start? have they already? pre-season starts at the end of the month...

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-s...6-season-start

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's honestly really discouraging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    that's honestly really discouraging.
    It is however, I'm pretty sure the league and there reps know what is at stake here.

Any stoppage at all would be close to fatal for this league. I see this being a forward move in terms of what the MLSPU will get but there not going to get anywhere near what their demanding.

The MLS holds all the cards because in reality if there is no deal and there is any stoppage at all the longer it takes the more the coffin closes IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grain of salt but...JERMAIN DEFOE has agreed a whopping £14million pay deal to return to English football with Sunderland

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Cat-Defoe.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    Grain of salt but...JERMAIN DEFOE has agreed a whopping £14million pay deal to return to English football with Sunderland

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...Cat-Defoe.html

don't ever read the fucking ***. Cunts, all of them forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Defoe to Sunderland is all over twitter now, but no mention of a transfer fee. If this report is legit, it's safe to assume that we have swapped Defoe for Altidore with no transfer fees exchanged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what to believe just yet. I'm hopeful this will just keep progressing because this is the first domino that needs to fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're paying Altidore $6m a year then I've lost all hope in the FO. The guy has no marketability and hasn't scored in a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointing if we gave up Defoe and used a DP spot and bags of cash on Altidore. I understand it's not my money, but MLSE is not going to spend unlimited amounts of money. Eventually they'll skip on a better player because we tied up a ton on Altidore. That's my concern. Don't waste the money. I also wonder what every TFC player is going to think when they learn that the new guy on the team is Altidore who scored 1 goal in his last 40 or so, and is taking in 6 million bucks. I don't like this at all. The only good news in this (if it's true of course) is that we got rid of Defoe. Tired of hearing about that disaster.