Page 47 of 134 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 3992
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    QPR is pretty much the only suitor for Defoe. I'm sure discussions are well underway.
    I'm sure they are underway (although the Leicester rumours persist and the bookies obviously know something). But there is an already acknowledged difference when it comes to loan vs. transfer and the longer this takes, the more leverage QPR will feel they have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Scottish teams need money and St Mirren are no different. To be honest, if I were MLSE I'd buy a team like them if nothing else, just to expand their scouting network and develop a partnership to benefit both the team they buy and TFC. A relationship like that would help them unearth gems like 18 year old midfielder Stevie Mallan who scored his first senior goal today. Just the kind of player TFC should be looking for ...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152963912680429
    Nothing against Scotland, but that would be the last place I would buy a team. Get a team in South America(BRZ/ARG), and you can unearth some real superstar gems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Scottish teams need money and St Mirren are no different. To be honest, if I were MLSE I'd buy a team like them if nothing else, just to expand their scouting network and develop a partnership to benefit both the team they buy and TFC. A relationship like that would help them unearth gems like 18 year old midfielder Stevie Mallan who scored his first senior goal today. Just the kind of player TFC should be looking for ...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152963912680429
    Too costly, but I can see TFC partner up with an Euro club and give some money/resources in return Euro club will develop our players by giving them playing time. We sort of saw this with Jordan Hamilton going to second division Portuguese club earlier in the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    given the type and size of his contract and the fact that he's moving not to a different MLS club but back to Europe, would there be anything holding us back from eating a portion of the salary the same way we did with Eckersley to move him? If Defoe were to say I want 80K a week to go home and we paid 20K and QPR paid the other 60K, would that be a problem? would it still count against the cap?
    why would we do that? He is a goal scoring machine. If someone wants him, and will pay for him, that's life, but if not he'll score huge amounts of goals for us. No need to lose money on it at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    why would we do that? He is a goal scoring machine. If someone wants him, and will pay for him, that's life, but if not he'll score huge amounts of goals for us. No need to lose money on it at all.
    the idea is that he wouldn't score lots of goals for us, sulking and being injured and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure we all had our concerns when Defoe signed, but who knew that it would become this ugly.. The guy literally can't wait to never be seen on this side of the world ever again.

I hope there's at least some repercussion for him in terms of salary or having to fade away in the championship after relegation, he deserves it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of rumors on twitter of Mauro Zarate going to QPR on loan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    the idea is that he wouldn't score lots of goals for us, sulking and being injured and all.
    if he hasn't recovered from his injury he won't be bought. And I think this "sulking" is way overstated by people. He was hurt and tried to recover, using the best medical assistance he knew, specific to his injury, which happened to be in England. On the field for us, he has been excellent, the only caveat being his injury. If he wants to go and there is a good offer, let him. Otherwise, take the goals. We don't need to dump an incredibly prolific scorer, they are hard to find.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-29-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    Whether it was TFC's crap or the league in general, the gold rush for aging DPs in the MLS may be losing lustre.
    Despite all the money, once reality sets in, only a few (eg. Keane, Frings) can park their ego.
    Maybe it's better this way.

MLS needs guys who want to be here and want to be a part of what this league is. Not about the superstardom.

Tim Cahill, Obafemi Martins, Clint Dempsey, Juan Pablo Angel, Thierry Henri, Michael Bradley there are others who have come here and showed how to be a true professional footballers. That is what the MLS and it's teams should focus on. Bring in guys who still want to play and prove that they can contribute to the sport.

I think the way MLSE went about it was wrong. Selling glitz and glamour has proved not to work in truly securing a player with this club and to be honest I don't think most clubs can really offer that level of pomp that some of these guys could achieve in Europe.

You need Ego to be the best. It just depends on what your ego is focused on. Is it your T-shirt and hat company or is it on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    QPR is pretty much the only suitor for Defoe. I'm sure discussions are well underway.
    I think if a deal isn't done by mid Jan we could end up seeing a team like West Brom become interested who could sell Beharino for a sizeable fee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Lots of rumors on twitter of Mauro Zarate going to QPR on loan.
    I posted this a couple pages back, but I think he would be a great player for Toronto to pick up. I will be sad that I no longer get to see him play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC will have to eat a sizable portion of the transfer fee they paid (like maybe all of it), and Defoe will have to take a significant pay cut, for a transfer to happen.

Suspect there will be window dressing for TFC/MLS (ie a big $10M transfer fee that is simply returned to QPR quietly via Cyprus or something)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling that a lot of you are going to lose your shit when Montreal announces their DP signing or 2 soon. Rumours say Borriello or Giladino plus a high quality CB
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Just in case this has not yet been posted.....

Drive-by hyper link - FC Dallas ends up with a first round SuperDraft pick after Toronto re-signs Jackson

Is Jackson worth a bottom first rounder? I figure that this is worth at least a dozen opinion posts or so.....

EDIT: Oh fuck - is this old news? Please advise.... never mind- answered.
    Last edited by DOMIN8R; 12-28-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Question answered 3 edits in total
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Drive-by hyper link - FC Dallas ends up with a first round SuperDraft pick after Toronto re-signs Jackson

Is Jackson worth a bottom first rounder? I figure that this is worth at least a dozen opinion posts or so.....

Jackson is a good option off the bench. He can also start a game or two here and there.

I think TFC should be able to get what they need with the 6th, 9th and 11th picks that they have - so the 19th pick shouldn't be too much of a loss for an already established MLS depth guy.

However TFC are fucking dumb and they will probably pass up on the next MLS Superstar for 3 shitty bench players. Oh and that future MLS Superstar will be picked 19th overall as well.

So to answer you question - yes TFC fucked up with this one.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 12-28-2014 at 07:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post

considering bottom first rounders don't end up being worth much... *shrug*
    I'm assuming Vanney thinks Jackson has a role for next season, and/or Bez thinks he can get something of value for Jackson. As much as we need a new scapegoat to beat on now that Wiedeman and Jeremy Hall are gone, Jackson can play a role.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    considering bottom first rounders don't end up being worth much... *shrug*
    I'm assuming Vanney thinks Jackson has a role for next season, and/or Bez thinks he can get something of value for Jackson. As much as we need a new scapegoat to beat on now that Wiedeman and Jeremy Hall are gone, Jackson can play a role.
    Jackson better have been signed to a conservative deal. He pisses off everyone around him and if we want to be a possession team, he looses the ball far too often. Just a turnover machine.

Hopefully he'll just be some trade bait..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling that a lot of you are going to lose your shit when Montreal announces their DP signing or 2 soon. Rumours say Borriello or Giladino plus a high quality CB
    Meh on Gilardino or Borriello

Their potential CB intrigues me though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Meh on Gilardino or Borriello

Their potential CB intrigues me though...
    imo there is only 1 realistic CB that would be worth signing from an overall (PR, skill level, impact) perspective and that's Pepe so i dont really fear any team with a dp CB, especially montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wynne is on the move from san jose trade to be announced in the coming days

how anticlimactic would it be if he was our big MLS veteran CB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you imagine a Wynne/Caldwell paring? There would be a penalty for handball per game with their Albatross like flapping of arms.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Can you imagine a Wynne/Caldwell paring? There would be a penalty for handball per game with their Albatross like flapping of arms.
    lol. instruction for opposition will be shoot on sight and draw a PK for handball.

if Wynne is coming to Toronto, it does make sense to compensate for Caldwell's lack of pace with Wynne's. strong physical CB + athletic pacey CB combo tends to work well in MLS. and Wynne works best at CB with someone telling him what to do, though Wynne has gotten a little better footy IQ wise

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dike is back but I must bring something up.
    He claims to be a Nigerian international. He was called up a few times.

How on earth is he in the team but Obafemi Martins is not? Martins is one of the top strikers in the league while Dike can't even get minutes on a non-playoff team. Is this a failure of Nigerian scouts, did martins piss someone off, or is there more to Dike's game then pushing people around and getting injuried?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Dike is back but I must bring something up.
    He claims to be a Nigerian international. He was called up a few times.

How on earth is he in the team but Obafemi Martins is not? Martins is one of the top strikers in the league while Dike can't even get minutes on a non-playoff team. Is this a failure of Nigerian scouts, did martins piss someone off, or is there more to Dike's game then pushing people around and getting injuried?
    Martins and the Nigerian FA had a falling out a while ago. Can't remember the exact details though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chilean international LW Mark Gonzalez is released from CSKA Moscow. Russian league might be a good place to look for DP level talent as Russian clubs release their expensive foreign imports

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chilean international LW Mark Gonzalez is released from CSKA Moscow. Russian league might be a good place to look for DP level talent as Russian clubs release their expensive foreign imports
    It'll be interesting to see WHO is released by these clubs as they are not self-sustainable at all. They can either get rid of 1 or 2 big players or a host of lesser players. If MLS is smart they will raid Russia for DP talent this off-season but then again this is MLS and their stingy with money and transfer fees unless your American

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why should MLS teams go after more mercenaries. The only reason the Russian league has international players is because of overpaying wages, MLS doesn't need more of that attitude.

Besides, most of those players are staying in EU, MLS has no value to them unless teams decide to overpay which is foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Jackson better have been signed to a conservative deal. He pisses off everyone around him and if we want to be a possession team, he looses the ball far too often. Just a turnover machine.

Hopefully he'll just be some trade bait..
    everyone seems to be forgetting Jackson's defensive work. earlier in the season, other teams could not score down our left. He and morrow were an excellent partnership. plus he's tough, not easy for other teams to play against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why should MLS teams go after more mercenaries. The only reason the Russian league has international players is because of overpaying wages, MLS doesn't need more of that attitude.

Besides, most of those players are staying in EU, MLS has no value to them unless teams decide to overpay which is foolish.
    I'm not saying grab every guy under the sun, make attempts for players that are committed, of which a lot of them are, and if those players want to keep their wages somewhat similar than they'll have to move abroad (they are already being paid exbortant amounts) I think you're underestimating the Russian league and the quality of players they possess. There are solid young talents there in addition to the older crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demy de Zeeuw, formerly of Spartak Moscow, is apparently on Linkedin looking for a club, open to MLS as well.