Page 42 of 134 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I disagree Hanglund is better than Henry. Hanglund's mistakes are less obvious to the naked eye, but they are just as frequent. On the upside, he is nowhere near as physically dominant. Statistically, Henry lead or was near top in a lot of defensive stats. Hanglund has a better nose for goal in the attacking end, but that's small compared to what your expecting from a CB.

I'm not certain Henry will ever be a starting prem defender, but 10 years down the line I'd put my money on him turning into the better player.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-21-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if porto's interested in Henry then he must have some kind of top level potential because the goal in Portugal with nearly every acquisition is to buy low and sell high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What with all the hate on Henry? If he was not injured and started more then 18 games we probably would have been in a playoff spot.
    And how many games did we lose by 3 or more goals when Henry did not start? it was several games,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    What with all the hate on Henry? If he was not injured and started more then 18 games we probably would have been in a playoff spot.
    And how many games did we lose by 3 or more goals when Henry did not start? it was several games,
    He statistcally led the team in clearances, tackles per game, balls won in the air. I pointed this out midseason and got shouted down by people who could only see the boneheaded young guy stuff. Henry was near the top of the league in tackles won, challenges won. On top of that, physically he's a monster athlete.

I think there's a good chance he makes it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He statistcally led the team in clearances, tackles per game, balls won in the air. I pointed this out midseason and got shouted down by people who could only see the boneheaded young guy stuff. Henry was near the top of the league in tackles won, challenges won. On top of that, physically he's a monster athlete.

I think Henry makes it, if not with WHU, he will get onto another club in Europe and be a mainstay. There are very few CB's that can distrubute the ball.. but Henry has the ability to play solid, aggressive D. Of course he's made mistakes... he's 21.. This transfer proves how wrong a lot of us were about him and for judging him based on his mistakes.

Congrats to Doneil and I truely hope this all works out for him because it will only benefit Canadian soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How anybody could be against this I have no idea. This gives TFCA some exposure and proves that yes, we DO have the talent and players here in the GTA that are capable of making it big. Great job Doneil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really excited for Doneil, he seems a genuinely gracious local talent.

Hope he can continue to develop and lead the National team for years to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a west ham supporter I am really happy for Doneil. Word from inside the training ground was that they were really taken by his athleticism, and they (the coaching staff) believe with the right coaching he could really be a great find. Apparently they were also quite pleased that he seemed to be off everyone else's radar, and relatively cheap for such a good prospect.

However, it must be noted that west ham, along with many other prem teams, have a history of bringing in these promising youngsters, and then they're never heard from again until they are released 2 years later. It's one step to get the opportunity, it's another, major step to take that opportunity and make something of it.

But I'm pretty sure we're all rooting for Doneil to make a name for himself.

COYI / COYR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post
    As a west ham supporter I am really happy for Doneil. Word from inside the training ground was that they were really taken by his athleticism, and they (the coaching staff) believe with the right coaching he could really be a great find. Apparently they were also quite pleased that he seemed to be off everyone else's radar, and relatively cheap for such a good prospect.

However, it must be noted that west ham, along with many other prem teams, have a history of bringing in these promising youngsters, and then they're never heard from again until they are released 2 years later. It's one step to get the opportunity, it's another, major step to take that opportunity and make something of it.

COYI / COYR
    Well he is coming in weaker than Reid who really did struggle in the EPL initially and only mature with a season in the Champ. See him being loaned out and hopefully doesn't get lost in the process...

If WHU stays top four, Reid is going nowhere..reduces Doneil long term prospect further.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When this goes through (I think it will) he'll be loaned out immediately, standard operating procedure. In fact, that would be the best outcome, the alternative is getting stuck on a U21 squad playing vs other U21 squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats the key

he is extremely athletic and for large man.

He can get up so high, he has size and strenght and can run too. He made errors, but they weren't anything out of place for a young CB on a team that left its D out hanging so often.

Im excited for his career. This is very good for CMNT and the TFC Acad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will never forget Henry hugging the fans in 112/113 after the last home game of the year. Tears in his eyes.

Damn proud of him!

(I will always hate West Ham)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see Henry get his work permit. Hope he does well and at least gets a good look at WHU. Either way this is a big plus for the CMNT & for the TFCA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I'd be very shocked if Henry gets a work permit. very. Canada's ranking just isn't high enough
    Well he got it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of Luck to him, from the day he first stepped on the pitch at BMO in the Canadian Championship vs. Vancouver to now, he has worn the badge with All-Heart. Watch him succeed.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best of luck to him. Hope he does us proud and becomes a rock at the back for the CMNT for the next decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skies At Night View Post

COYI / COYR
    So do you think will be given a chance at the first team or be loaned out to Championship club the rest of this season or something like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think playing in the championship is better for his natural progression, he isn't really even a bench player in the EPL considering his mental side of the game is subpar at this point in time.

Looking forward to how he develops. Hopefully TFC didn't get fleeced but I doubt it.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-22-2014 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    thats the key

he is extremely athletic and for large man.

He can get up so high, he has size and strenght and can run too. He made errors, but they weren't anything out of place for a young CB on a team that left its D out hanging so often.

Im excited for his career. This is very good for CMNT and the TFC Acad.
    Yeah, the size / strength thing can't be understated. Easily top 5 in MLS. I remember when we played Van and he tossed Hassli aside like a rag doll; EH just looked back in disbelief that this kid just out muscled him by such a large margin.

If a club like Porto wants to take a flyer, that's enough for me to eat my hat on any criticism. They probably have the best scouting department on the planet, at least as far as finding under valued players goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, the size / strength thing can't be understated. Easily top 5 in MLS. I remember when we played Van and he tossed Hassli aside like a rag doll; EH just looked back in disbelief that this kid just out muscled him by such a large margin.

If a club like Porto wants to take a flyer, that's enough for me to eat my hat on any criticism. They probably have the best scouting department on the planet, at least as far as finding under valued players goes.
    I would assume now that the visa issue is cleared up, West Ham is a done deal. Henry has talked in the past how his goal was to get to the EPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing from TFC yet....wonder if they will deny it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HeyToronto View Post
    So do you think will be given a chance at the first team or be loaned out to Championship club the rest of this season or something like that?
    West Ham have a few highly rated young defenders in reece burke, leo chambers, and reece oxford... and they have generally been kept at the club to play with the development squad. I suspect that will be the same for Doneil, then down the road if they think his development may be aided by a loan spell then it will probably happen. However, west ham have a high opinion of their youth development system (rightly or wrongly) and think they can develop players there as well as anywhere. IMO, given Doneil's age and physical size, after a period of settling in and basic training, I think he'd be best served by getting out and playing against men, as he would physically dominate against many of the u-21's he'd be up against, which can mask technical deficiencies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ well said

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    In fairness, can West Ham say its real until their transfer window opens?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's not a Toronto FC player -so they may not say anything...
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what i have heard TFC still have a say on this transfer....it would be nice if any of the media that covers the club would ask the odd question about this kinda stuff,instead on what DEFOE had for lunch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what i have heard TFC still have a say on this transfer....it would be nice if any of the media that covers the club would ask the odd question about this kinda stuff,instead on what DEFOE had for lunch?
    Dichio mentioned on SN that Toronto gets a 1.5 Million fee for this which will go directly back into the academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Dichio mentioned on SN that Toronto gets a 1.5 Million fee for this which will go directly back into the academy.
    Given that that's about 80% of the suggested transfer, it's clear Cyprus was just a passport dodge, enabling him to get a work permit quickly. Expect other players from low-ranked countries to start using this route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that that's about 80% of the suggested transfer, it's clear Cyprus was just a passport dodge, enabling him to get a work permit quickly. Expect other players from low-ranked countries to start using this route.
    There are no reports that say he got a passport. It appears as if he had to apply to UK immigration to get a working visa and that is why there was a decision to make. If he had a passport there would be no decision to make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    There are no reports that say he got a passport. It appears as if he had to apply to UK immigration to get a working visa and that is why there was a decision to make. If he had a passport there would be no decision to make.
    Might just as easily be like Yedlin; they knew he'd be getting an estonian passport, so they approved him even though he didn't meet the technical thresholds.

Likely why he went to Cyprus, which changed its passport regulations last year essentially making it possible to buy one with stated net worth. He would not have come close to meeting the threshhold without it, as Canada's ranking is nowhere near good enough.