Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Steven Gerrard is willing to leave Liverpool if he doesn't get a new deal in the summer.

Source: theScore

Cue up Gerrard to TFC rumours!
    I would cream myself, even at 34.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No thanks.

Doesn't fit our needs.

No over the hill guys getting one last pay cheque thank you very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more names. Sign good footballers who do a job and enjoy being here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    I would cream myself, even at 34.
    Anything but English ''stars". I want actually talented players with some integrity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Anything but English ''stars". I want actually talented players with some integrity.
    lol wut? Gerrard has been playing at the highest level for most of his career. Integrity? lol

If you want to question a player due to his age, that's fine. But slamming a player just because he's from England or UK is becoming silly. Nationality does not define how good a player is.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the same camp as many...let's snap up a mid to late twenties south american CAM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    I'm in the same camp as many...let's snap up a mid to late twenties south american CAM.
    Agreed. The odds of getting good affordable CAM is higher from SA than elsewhere. Don't expect instant impact though. Some takes a while to get used to MLS

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One story/rumour making the rounds is Rio Ferdinand being targeted by MLS after announcing he is considering retiring. Just to add a little spice consider the QPR connection.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ke-big-4551759

Not sure how I would feel about that. Talented. Experienced. Yet on the verge of hanging it up?

I forget the comedian that said "It's like when someone asks are you going to eat that? If not, I was going to throw it out. If it is a choice between me or the garbage, I'd prefer you just throw it out."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    One story/rumour making the rounds is Rio Ferdinand being targeted by MLS after announcing he is considering retiring. Just to add a little spice consider the QPR connection.

Not sure how I would feel about that. Talented. Experienced. Yet on the verge of hanging it up?

I forget the comedian that said "It's like when someone asks are you going to eat that? If not, I was going to throw it out. If it is a choice between me or the garbage, I'd prefer you just throw it out."
    Probably be like Nesta at Mtl. Slightly better organized defence, but individually Ferdinand gets beaten for pace
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wesley Sneijder looking increasingly dissatisfied at Galatasaray, at 30 years old would it be too soon for a move to MLS?

Call me crazy, but hey if we got Defoe and Bradley in the past and everyone's looking for a #10, why not him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a move would have to be cultivated over time. Might also have to see him getting spurned by some major clubs to convince him to consider a move. By then he's likely to be 33 or 34. Might still be worth it.

It's theoretically possible that throwing a ton of money at him right now might succeed getting him but I don't think he would get comfortable in the league. Would require overpaying him to give up Champions League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fdasilva View Post
    Wesley Sneijder looking increasingly dissatisfied at Galatasaray, at 30 years old would it be too soon for a move to MLS?

Call me crazy, but hey if we got Defoe and Bradley in the past and everyone's looking for a #10, why not him?
    He's injury prone. It's a big risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    He's injury prone. It's a big risk.
    More injury-prone then Defoe? And he'd be the #10 we're all dreaming of - or that I'm dreaming of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fdasilva View Post
    More injury-prone then Defoe? And he'd be the #10 we're all dreaming of - or that I'm dreaming of
    If this year has taught me anything, it is that if your best players are out half the season, good luck having any model of consistency. Having long-term injuries to Caldwell and Defoe didn't help things, as the team couldn't prevent goals or score their own consistently with them out.

I hope they revisit a previous rumour i heard about, and reach out to Jorge Valdivia; Chileno's got some skill!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    If this year has taught me anything, it is that if your best players are out half the season, good luck having any model of consistency. Having long-term injuries to Caldwell and Defoe didn't help things, as the team couldn't prevent goals or score their own consistently with them out.

I hope they revisit a previous rumour i heard about, and reach out to Jorge Valdivia; Chileno's got some skill!
    Forgot about that. He would be unreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was supposed to go back to the Middle East after the World Cup but the deal fell through and he is still at Palmeries.

He'll be expensive though, the Middle East team that was after him bid $7.5m and he was going to be paid $60k a week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    He was supposed to go back to the Middle East after the World Cup but the deal fell through and he is still at Palmeries.

He'll be expensive though, the Middle East team that was after him bid $7.5m and he was going to be paid $60k a week.
    I remember him being pretty good for Chile during WC. Looks to have retired internationally, 31 so he's got at least few more years.

Sounds like a bit of head case if wikipedia is anything to go by.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Valdivia

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i remember his name coming up before. Think he was at Palmeiras at the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Rio would be the height of stupidity in my opinion. Looks seriously out of place now on QPR. He's too old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    No more names. Sign good footballers who do a job and enjoy being here.
    Here here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Experienced MLS Defender Watch"
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls...le3542452.html

Looks like Collin is done at SKC but we'd need to trade for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    "Experienced MLS Defender Watch"
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls...le3542452.html

Looks like Collin is done at SKC but we'd need to trade for him
    Says he's a free agent so we wouldn't have to traditional anything.

However he was making 275k last season and wants a raise. I'd rather take Caldwell at 300k then what Collin would demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Says he's a free agent so we wouldn't have to traditional anything.

However he was making 275k last season and wants a raise. I'd rather take Caldwell at 300k then what Collin would demand.
    A free agent for foreign teams. KC have extended him a qualifying offer so retain his MLS rights. If any other MLS clubs want to do a deal for him they have to go through KC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing our luck we would pick him up and then he would start actually being called for all the fouls he commits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    A free agent for foreign teams. KC have extended him a qualifying offer so retain his MLS rights. If any other MLS clubs want to do a deal for him they have to go through KC.
    Ahhh forgot about that. In that case then its no thanks. I'd rather try and find a cheaper option as a CB like we did with Morrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Knowing our luck we would pick him up and then he would start actually being called for all the fouls he commits.
    Yep people complained about how Henry would usually give up a gaff once a game. Imagine Collin. Probably get suspended every other game lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh forgot about that. In that case then its no thanks. I'd rather try and find a cheaper option as a CB like we did with Morrow.
    Good, young, cheap. The next Plata? Great with the ball, great passer, better shooter than Plata and stronger, though small. Mostly plays left side but could play under the strikers effectively.

http://ca.soccerway.com/players/romulo-otero/148555/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B3mulo_Otero
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHBwJY4884
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4YmjTMvWk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9zpFD2_Qzs
    Last edited by jloome; 11-03-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Good, young, cheap. The next Plata? Great with the ball, great passer, better shooter than Plata and stronger, though small. Mostly plays right side but could play under the strikers effectively.

http://ca.soccerway.com/players/romulo-otero/148555/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B3mulo_Otero
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHBwJY4884
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4YmjTMvWk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9zpFD2_Qzs
    I'd also try Ariel Rodriguez, the Costa Rican attacking mid. He's never played overseas, I don't think, but has become a regular for their national team and is a really good ball striker, header, passer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wary of these south American options though. I would love to get guys like that ala Laba ect but i hate the fact the majority of these south american leagues have players that are owned by more then one club.

Its finding those that arnt attached to multiple clubs or are coming to the end of thete contracts.

As much as people shit on getting UK players i think we should also be looking at the SPL for players.

SPL is a leauge that is very similar in style of being a physical leauge but not overly technical.

I think we could get some good players out of there at a decent price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wary of these south American options though. I would love to get guys like that ala Laba ect but i hate the fact the majority of these south american leagues have players that are owned by more then one club.

Its finding those that arnt attached to multiple clubs or are coming to the end of thete contracts.

As much as people shit on getting UK players i think we should also be looking at the SPL for players.

SPL is a leauge that is very similar in style of being a physical leauge but not overly technical.

I think we could get some good players out of there at a decent price.
    SPL's not a bad option. Houston has done well there.

Here's something worth considering: U.S. National team attacking midfielder Mix Diskerud is interested in MLS; he would be the perfect midfield partner to Bradley and is a free agent from Rosenborg in two months. He almost signed with the Crew last season and is pretty much exactly what we need, a guy who can play two ways but excels as an attacking midfielder, at the top of a diamond.

From mlssoccer.com:
    Mix Diskerud

Norwegian giants Rosenborg have one game remaining in the Tippeligaen season and less than two months to re-sign the man we all call "Mix" to a new deal. As of New Year's Day, the midfielder becomes a free agent, and there will be no shortage of applicants for his service from all over the globe.
    The rumors are already starting to fly. In the last week, separate Norwegian reports have claimed that a) former MLS suitors Columbus recently sent scouts out to watch him play for RBK & b) teams from Qatar were calling to pitch a lucrative Middle East move.
    Though not one to discuss such matters publicly, Diskerud did tell reporters this weekend that he had no knowledge of a Crew visit. He also politely stated that he would only be pondering his options after discussing his future with Rosenborg.
    So where is he going? Diskerud is a very loyal guy, but he is also one to get excited about the idea of performing in the United States for a while. That said, it seems most reasonable that he would finally grab a chance to try his lot in a tougher league like the Eredivisie, or even the Bundesliga. As nice as the money would be, a move to Qatar would do nothing for his career and Mix has US call-ups to consider.