Page 21 of 134 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/19...son-in-ukraine

I wonder about this O'Dea, and what his wage demands would be... a pairing of O'Dea and Caldwell sounds like it should be solid
    He’s open to once again enjoying soccer in MLS, just not in Montreal.“They would need to offer me double (the money) I got in Ukraine,” O’Dea said. “I don’t think they have that.”

That's an ex TFC captain speaking. Tic tac tabernac...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea and Caldwell pairing your kidding me right, O'Dea is crap and you want to pair him with Caldwell who is not much better ya sure why not, please, this team still had one of the worst goals against in the league again this season, this club needs among many things is two center backs and Caldwell and O'Dea are not the answer!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked O'Dea... Unfortunate about how much he cost. I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat at a lower price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think O'dea would be great on something like 325k granted the cap goes up quite a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without wishing to do a disservice to Hagglund, who I rate very highly, I would welcome O'Dea back with open arms at a reasonable wage. He is solid, determined, and obviously has a liking for the club and us fans. Alongside Caldwell as well, we'd lack pace there, but they both have good footballing brains and would work very well alongside each other.

As a complete imbecile when it comes to how the cap works and all the allocation stuff (goes right over my head), what would TFC have to do in terms of sacrifices and trades to get him back on a reasonable salary?

I've lived on this continent for 7 years and still can't get my head around how player transfers and salaries work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea is a free agent so no fee would be involved, just his salary would count against the budget cap. I suspect we would still hold his rights in MLS, I'm not sure if he would count as a discovery signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A player who loves the city, realizes how well the players are treated here and has a wealth of experence? whats not to like. If we can find a cap # that works I would welcome him back with open arms.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody, anybody, PLEASE explain to me what's going on with all this ODea love lately? Where is it coming from?
    People were ready to run him out of town last year, and now it sounds like he's our saviour.

He wasn't good enough then, and he isnt good enough now. And frankly, he's a bit of a douche towards fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Dea for Caldwell maybe.....both starters at centre back? No chance. Caldwell in the air is good but tracking defenders and staying a step ahead of them forget it. He is horrible. If you ask me so is Henry. One of your centre backs need to be a bruiser while the other needs to be skilled with the mind set as an attacking mid would be. Good foot skills who can distribute the ball both short and long and who anticipates before the ball is played. Heck my 13 year old girls team has one of each and what a sight to see. In all the years we have never had a player of this caliber which is why we suck year in, year out. The more people like the pairing together makes me cringe. If this happens then we are in for a long season next year......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be dismissive, but when other teams are readily pulling better defenders out of South and Central America why go after something less?

I don't think bringing back someone in the name of familiarity is the answer. It's like we always say with TFC: don't reinvent the wheel, just do what the rest of the league does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    O'Dea for Caldwell maybe.....both starters at centre back? No chance. Caldwell in the air is good but tracking defenders and staying a step ahead of them forget it. He is horrible. If you ask me so is Henry. One of your centre backs need to be a bruiser while the other needs to be skilled with the mind set as an attacking mid would be. Good foot skills who can distribute the ball both short and long and who anticipates before the ball is played. Heck my 13 year old girls team has one of each and what a sight to see. In all the years we have never had a player of this caliber which is why we suck year in, year out. The more people like the pairing together makes me cringe. If this happens then we are in for a long season next year......
    I get your point but our biggest flaw is the way our players read the game (or rather don'). I don't like the idea of defenders being overly skilled on the ball. All too often last year Hagglund and Henry were caught out when trying to be too cute on the ball. Get rid of the thing.

They're are not pretty to watch. But so many times in recent memory we've chucked games away based on stupid, inexperienced mistakes that simply put older players don't make. Yes, their distribution is poor and they aren't exactly Messi on the ball, but their job title is exactly what they are there to do. Defend. Caldwell and O'Dea would do exactly that. Both are hardly perfect, but I don;t want to nurture young, undiscovered talent anymore. I want to seal out football matches and not piss points away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not to be dismissive, but when other teams are readily pulling better defenders out of South and Central America why go after something less?

I don't think bringing back someone in the name of familiarity is the answer. It's like we always say with TFC: don't reinvent the wheel, just do what the rest of the league does.
    O'Dea is a better-than-MLS-average defender and a much better athlete than most in this league; he can play left back, too.

He has brain cramps though and comes across as not a no. 1. With Caldwell next to him directing traffic he'd probably be quite effective but you run the risk of him not accepting Caldwell as being in charge of the backline, too.

He's a good defender by MLS level. He's not the best we can get and he'd be too expensive for what he brings. If he realized he's probably only going to get league one or below in England for salary, he might come in under 250K, in which case I'd say he's worth a shot as Caldwell's partner IF we can't find someone as good who's cheaper either in the league or from a poorer nation.

In other words, to me, he's a last resort, but a pretty good one. And he wasn't shitty to fans here; not sure where anyone got that idea. He was very appreciative of Toronto and talked frequently about how much he loved the city and fans, even when he'd left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we disagree on this one. O'dea on half the money is still more than what other teams in this league pay for good defenders.

Still consider him average at best. He's gaf prone (still) for a guy in his late 20s. Not what I'd want back there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we disagree on this one. O'dea on half the money is still more than what other teams in this league pay for good defenders.

Still consider him average at best. He's gaf prone (still) for a guy in his late 20s. Not what I'd want back there.
    Agreed 100%. Plus him and Caldwell would be way too slow for MLS.

In any case this is all moot because there has been zero indication from TFC that they want to bring him back. Plus O'Dea said he's close to signing with a club in England.

O'Dea is a nice guy but we need to move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. Our debate is rather irrelevant as he isn't coming anyways!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rated O'Dea but there is a reason the Irish Nat supporters call him O'Dear and I think we all witnessed that. At the right price I'd welcome him back but I don't think he takes us to the next level at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I rated O'Dea but there is a reason the Irish Nat supporters call him O'Dear and I think we all witnessed that. At the right price I'd welcome him back but I don't think he takes us to the next level at all
    He has the skills of a full back and he would be best as a left back, but we already have Morrow in that position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So according to David Rowaan of Waking the Red

This fella will be training with TFC in preseason and should end up on the USLPro squad http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...vante_14012067

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...ising-teenager

http://hvfc.net/news/martin-davis-re.../#.VHSs_fnIamc

Slim pickings for news at the moment but there ya go.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 11-25-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha not one of those articles claims he's coming to TFC for training/Trial. he has however been to france and spain for trials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashavukelich View Post
    haha not one of those articles claims he's coming to TFC for training/Trial. he has however been to france and spain for trials.
    You might want to re-read the last one then.

It's headline, just so you dont miss it again...

Martin Davis returns from successful Toronto FC Academy trial
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 11-25-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha oh dear! i just read the top 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynne has been released. I know many will disagree but I would love to have him back.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Wynne has been released. I know many will disagree but I would love to have him back.
    He just played the most mins in a season in his entire career. It doesn't look like they couldn't use him. Must've been $$$.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has not been released. just his option not picked up. Colorado may renegotiate Wynne's contract. And if no, Wynne goes to re entry draft
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    he has not been released. just his option not picked up. Colorado may renegotiate Wynne's contract. And if no, Wynne goes to re entry draft
    No such thing as free agency in MLS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many ex-TFC players having their options declined in Colorado:

Wynne
    Buddle
    LaBrocca
    Agboss

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-marvell-wynne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nathan Sturgis is available too! Wynne would not be the worst signing, although you could not count on him as a starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

andrew driver available? option off the bench and decent one v one threat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    andrew driver available? option off the bench and decent one v one threat
    Good player but might not take a paycut, given that he can get a decent wage back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    You might want to re-read the last one then.

It's headline, just so you dont miss it again...

[/h]
    Looks like a done deal, he posted this on twitter: https://twitter.com/_MartinDrapes/st...59511841075200