Page 118 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 3992
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Neil Davidson's article back in November

We need more good players, to put it simply,” the star midfielder told reporters Friday. “Guys who can come in and, in a footballing sense, add something. “And the other side of it is we need more guys with personality, more leaders, more competitors, more men. And that’s not meant as any sort of disrespect to anyone who’s here. But when you have a season that went the way ours did, we’d be naive if we didn’t think all these things needed to be better, needed to improve.

“The goal here is to not just scrape through a season and maybe make the playoffs and maybe not on the last day. Yeah, we want to make the playoffs but there’s much more to it. And to do that, to get to where we want to be, we need more good players and we need more winners, leaders, competitors — guys who come in every day ready to spill everything they have into it.”

We will see once the season opens, but the 4 big acquisitions all seem to fit that description.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    From Neil Davidson's article back in November

We will see once the season opens, but the 4 big acquisitions all seem to fit that description.
    There's a story on mlssoccer.com that Philly is trying to move former rookie of the year Austin Berry.

Given the potential frailty of our two older CB starters and the relative inexperience of their replacements -- and Philly's need for a backup keeper after loaning mcmath out and losing their starter to the African nations cup -- we should deal Konopka and a draft pick for him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There's a story on mlssoccer.com that Philly is trying to move former rookie of the year Austin Berry.

Given the potential frailty of our two older CB starters and the relative inexperience of their replacements -- and Philly's need for a backup keeper after loaning mcmath out and losing their starter to the African nations cup -- we should deal Konopka and a draft pick for him.
    Is Philly really in the need for a GK? I could see them recalling McMath if they really had a need?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, they are trying to sell Valdes AND trade Berry? Who the hell is gonna play CB for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Wait, they are trying to sell Valdes AND trade Berry? Who the hell is gonna play CB for them?
    I kid you not:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...5-hes-not-sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly will be the first team in history to field 2 goalkeepers at CB.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    True, but it feels like there is more substance to the moves this off season. I think we have a much more balanced squad now. A natural winger would be nice though.
    Absolutely..... This year is the opposite of last year....thin team with many holes and 1 ,overpriced lazy ass mid range striker ,that blinded everyone and whose only factor was to sell tickets . Anyone looking for instant success is crazy , in any sport . Just looking for an entertaining , strong developing TEAM .Of course there has to be ups and downs but hopefully they simply grow and we see a team of young and old enjoying themselves . We'll make the playoffs but after that , the coaching and systems may be a huge determining factor in our progress . Can hardly wait for our 'footie' . BTW, in all fairness , I don't think all this would be happening if we weren't owned by a large $$$ corp . As much as I hate to say THAT . I'm going to give credit where it's do for once . Otherwise maybe Giovinco would have been an 'Limpact'..etc...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some news on Gilberto, from what I get from the translation is that they are waiting for MLS to approve.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebo...da-semana.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Absolutely..... This year is the opposite of last year....thin team with many holes and 1 ,overpriced lazy ass mid range striker ,that blinded everyone and whose only factor was to sell tickets . Anyone looking for instant success is crazy , in any sport . Just looking for an entertaining , strong developing TEAM .Of course there has to be ups and downs but hopefully they simply grow and we see a team of young and old enjoying themselves . We'll make the playoffs but after that , the coaching and systems may be a huge determining factor in our progress . Can hardly wait for our 'footie' . BTW, in all fairness , I don't think all this would be happening if we weren't owned by a large $$$ corp . As much as I hate to say THAT . I'm going to give credit where it's do for once . Otherwise maybe Giovinco would have been an 'Limpact'..etc...
    They went out and got a CAM (kinda), CDM, CB our 3 biggest holes. They bring in 4 different types of talents from 4 different leagues. They saved face on Defoe and get a much younger talent and really put TFC on the international market. They did everything they could and more. TFC failing last season was the best thing that could have happened to this franchise... a true blessing. Adding Giovinco will bring a lot of italians in. I was pessimistic at first but with adding Cheyrou and Perquis i'm sold. If they add a winger, great... If not i'm not to worried. They did more then any MLS fan should expect. Win or lose I will stick by this team. It will take time just like it does when you put any new team together, but I feel like its the right guys. Hopefully starting on a long road trip will help the team bond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Some news on Gilberto, from what I get from the translation is that they are waiting for MLS to approve.

As much as I like Gilberto and wish we could keep him, the good thing is that I won't have anymore Giovinco/Gilberto confusion. Whenever I read quickly I mix up their names. Clicked on that link expecting it to be about Juventus releasing Giovinco, and it was about us getting rid of Gilberto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post

Basically says that Vasco and Gilberto have an agreement in place. Vasco are looking for a loan move. should be done by Monday or Tuesday. In the MLS, it's tough to move deals along.

Basically he's as good as gone

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    Basically says that Vasco and Gilberto have an agreement in place. Vasco are looking for a loan move. should be done by Monday or Tuesday. In the MLS, it's tough to move deals along.

Basically he's as good as gone
    If it's a loan , then he's not gone, even better , we still retain his rights ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    If it's a loan , then he's not gone, even better , we still retain his rights ???
    Just like Laba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If its a loan, that probably means TFC is eating some of his wages. That don't bother me as long as it doesn't affect the cap space.

If the new CBA does include a new "DP-lite" slot (sal up to $1M or something) like some have been talking about recently, I'm inclined to bring him back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So from, "Good offers" to a loan deal? Nice spin job again by Bez/Vanney.

Unless they want to bring him back in the summer then its a bad deal, just get a fee for the guy and get him off your books if you don't want him.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-31-2015 at 10:20 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So from, "Good offers" to a loan deal? Nice spin job again by Bez/Vanney.

Unless they want to bring him back in the summer then its a bad deal, just get a fee for the guy and get him off your books if you don't want him.
    Why so cynical? Maybe they had offers but are choosing a loan deal because they want him back. I also have no idea why a loan deal could be considered bad in any way unless we eat a big chunk of his salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Why so cynical? Maybe they had offers but are choosing a loan deal because they want him back. I also have no idea why a loan deal could be considered bad in any way unless we eat a big chunk of his salary.
    Not cynical, just annoyed because of the whole Laba deal, you know with the whole "significant hurdle" comment.

According to a few articles TFC don't want to keep him even if there was a 4th DP spot available, so that tells me they don't want him around.

Loan deal doesn't exactly sound like "good offers" to me, I mean that's a nice secondary option but its not equal to receiving a transfer fee which is what im thinking of a good offer.

A loan deal could also potentially shift the problem(DP allocation shortage) to a later date, who knows if Gilberto stinks and were stuck with a bad contract with 4 designated players. Better to cash out now.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-31-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then again, Bez might just be hedging his bets. Say Altidore goes down with an injury around June. We could really use Gilberto back in July. And if they allow a fourth DP, then there is no rush to move him, especially if they can't get a better DP in the summer transfer window. But if they get a better player, then they could move him. I just see this as incrementally upgrading with every trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC have done a great job in the off season of improving the defence, midfield, and spine. However if we assume we need 50 goals as a team, where are the goals coming from?
    Altidore 15
    Moore 5
    Findley 5
    Giov. 5
    Bradley. 5
    Osorio 4
    Jackson 4
    Lovitz 2
    Defence 3

We have improved service into the box and play makers but not a lot of snipers. Will we score enough? Would like to see one more double digit scorer on the team but do not see it at this point. Some one may emerge through the season.
    Last edited by SKB; 02-01-2015 at 07:58 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....maybe Gilberto is as homesick as Defoe (without the Mommie issues).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hmm....maybe Gilberto is as homesick as Defoe (without the Mommie issues).
    He does have a kid in Brazil, so good chance he does.

A loan move could be putting him in the shop window for a bigger move in the summer too.

And bear in mind, we are going off Gils agents comments. Vasco's president is on the record saying the deal might be too expensive for them.

https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    TFC have done a great job in the off season of improving the defence, midfield, and spine. However if we assume we need 50 goals as a team, where are the goals coming from?
    Altidore 15
    Moore 5
    Findley 5
    Giov. 5
    Bradley. 5
    Osorio 4
    Jackson 4
    Lovitz 2
    Defence 3

We have improved service into the box and play makers but not a lot of snipers. Will we score enough? Would like to see one more double digit scorer on the team but do not see it at this point. Some one may emerge through the season.
    Come on now, you need to budget at least more than 5 goals for giovinco, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SKB View Post
    Altidore 15
    Moore 5
    Findley 5
    Giov. 5
    Bradley. 5
    Osorio 4
    Jackson 4
    Lovitz 2
    Defence 3

We're going to be playing with inverted wing forwards. If Giovinco only gets five goals, he'll be a hell of a bust. Moore scored seven last year in a truncated season so he might be better than five to the good. Also, Vancouver made it in last year with 42 goals; so you don't need to hit 50. It's more about goal difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole team is going to be built around Giovinco. Vanney will use him as CAM although he will push him up higher, and with Gio taking most of the set pieces, he will score between 25-30 goals by the end of the season.

The only concern I have is injuries, as many defenders will try to kick Giovinco after he humiliates them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    The whole team is going to be built around Giovinco. Vanney will use him as CAM although he will push him up higher, and with Gio taking most of the set pieces, he will score between 25-30 goals by the end of the season.

The only concern I have is injuries, as many defenders will try to kick Giovinco after he humiliates them.
    I think he's going to play a 4-3-3 with Giovinco as one of the wide forwards, coming inside from the right on his left foot while Findley/Osorio are used on the other side. It matches what he's been doing and saying at camp, using normally central strikers as wide forwards (Jordan Hamilton), saying he expects Moore to backup Jozy as a target forward, bringing in Findley, mentioning Colin Warner several times, indicative of a three-man mid.

I think we're going to see another wide forward come in, if we see another signing. THen it'll be something like:

---------------Altidore----------------
    ----Findley----------------Giovinco
    ----------Cheyrou--Bradley--------
    ---------------Warner-------------
    -Morrow---Cald---Perq.-----Bloom
    --------------Bendik

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not MLS or TFC related, but an agent talks about some of the intricacies of transfer deadline day

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30923145
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    not MLS or TFC related, but an agent talks about some of the intricacies of transfer deadline day

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30923145
    Quite interesting. Thanks for posting.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think he's going to play a 4-3-3 with Giovinco as one of the wide forwards, coming inside from the right on his left foot while Findley/Osorio are used on the other side. It matches what he's been doing and saying at camp, using normally central strikers as wide forwards (Jordan Hamilton), saying he expects Moore to backup Jozy as a target forward, bringing in Findley, mentioning Colin Warner several times, indicative of a three-man mid.

I think we're going to see another wide forward come in, if we see another signing. THen it'll be something like:

---------------Altidore----------------
    ----Findley----------------Giovinco
    ----------Cheyrou--Bradley--------
    ---------------Warner-------------
    -Morrow---Cald---Perq.-----Bloom
    --------------Bendik
    My impression from hearing Vanney talk about Warner was that it would be Warner or Cheyrou partnering Bradley, or Warner and Cheyrou when Bradley is gone to the Gold cup. Which seems more indicative of a double pivot midfield. He also talks about Giovinco playing between the lines, which I think would be in the middle rather than out wide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds 4-2-3-1 with an "almost" double pivot but with cheyrou staying home more often and Bradley naturally pushing forward. Of course in practice we simplify things too much as coaches will tweak formations in-game.

I'll be interested to see what role Hamilton plays this season. The way things are shaping up there is a lot of competition for spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard not to get excited. The way the team is turning out for this year seems better in all aspects. Distance shooting, set pieces, experiance/leadership, depth, skill. Seems to me that goals should be plenty in areas that lacked last year. Teams will have problems it seems playing 2015 TFC