Page 116 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the interview with Bono on TFC TV and I was pretty impressed with what I heard. You don't normally get a kid with that much confidence and clarity of vision. See how it comes along but very impressed thus far.

I watched the Bez interview as well and he did a commendable job with the media (credit where it's due).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we now have a formidable starting lineup and adequate depth throughout the roster, with the exception of the flanks. Unless we plan on relying exclusively on Morrow to move forward, we need a quality winger/wide midfielder that can take on defenders one on one and consistently deliver dangerous balls into the box. Our current options aren't going to cut it.

Jackson is solid defensively but his ability to create for his teammates is limited. Osorio is better suited to a central attacking midfield role and doesn't have the pace to be effective out wide. Findley might get a shot there because of our depth up front and because of his pace, but he is not a natural winger either. Our only natural winger is Lovitz, who was impressive at times in his rookie season, but he needs to develop in order to be regular starter at this level.

It would be great to start the season without anyone playing out of position. We're almost there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Look, obviously no one knows how this will work, and it's always fun when they splash out the cash, but we have seen this many times before, the attempt to use cash to buy shortcuts. I actually remember Cheyrou as a stud DM, and if he has anything left, he could be very good. But I also remembered that Robert was a stud, and was excited about him too. I was excited about Mista. And on and on. I am tired of this particular risk/reward proposition.

What happened to finding younger South Americans? We don't even try, why is that? Other teams routinely find very serviceable $150K/year international CBs, but we always spend $300-400K, and midyear we all say the guy is overpaid. Always.

We have spent probably 800K on 3 older guys (Findley plus the Frenchmen). Look at the caliber of younger internationals LA, RSL, Portland, Seattle get. Every year. For those who say our young core is in our DPs, well maybe .... that has other, unknown risks - will players really bond with, and follow, guys that make 100x what they do?

Historically, it's hard to find examples of teams that are serious contender in MLS without a strong backbone of non-DP internationals, and with experienced front office and field personnel.

We just will not follow established models, we always have to blaze our own brand new trail.

We appear congenitally unable to learn from the past.
    I certainly recognize why you see it that way; I also recognize that each case has to be judged on its own merits and this is, on paper, the strongest lineup we've ever fielded by a country mile, with the most depth by a country mile. With respect to talking about preparing the team, I also can't fault what I've heard from Vanney.

I'm not an idiot, as I think you know; I see the same issues, the same possible breakdowns due to age and travel, the places where it can go wrong if players from different cultures don't mesh with each other or MLS football etc.

But on the face, I have to be optimistic not only about the talent level but the approach to team building Vanney is taking. I believe we have a front room of actual competent people for the first time ever; Vanney has enough experience as an assistant ( as did most of the other former players-turned-MLS-coaches), enough help from a respect veteran field coach in Fraser and enough of a skilled, experienced spine in his roster that it's just more logical to be optimistic right now.

Assuming a systemic incompetence exhibited routinely by MLSE on many levels will also bleed down to the team at this point just isn't warranted; and I'd say it's for the first time. I think, frankly, that Lieweke's resignation was demanded by the board after Defoe made it clear he wanted out; that they turned to Bez to fix it and, in somewhat awkward fashion, he did. He also went to Italy and landed Giovinco.

You can choose to believe that Lieweke is masterminding all of this; and I respect why you might think that, as Lieweke is a player, a schmoozer, a business charisma magnet; Bez, on theother hand, looks like Harry Potter's older, nerdier law school brother.

But, in the end, it seems far more logical that we're being bailed out by Bezbatchenko, who had the foresight to set up a coaching successorship as soon as it became clear Lieweke was banking on Nelsen, who, incidentally, probably recommended Defoe, contributing to his own downfall.

Is Bez a great public speaker? No. Is he a "closer" with a record, like Lieweke. No. But that's a narrative, and sometimes that shit is just wrong, man.

I'm optimistic right now because of the facts. Is it necessarily the way I'd proceed financially, or even wise? HELL NO. ANd that will be an issue for MLSE at some point, or maybe in the dressing room. But for now, the reason I follow the club -- the football -- is looking better off than in many a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed jloome.

I'd also like to add that I'm getting sick and tired of looking for updates on twitter and having to sift through an endless barrage of tweets about The Filipino Channel.

Good night all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    for what it's worth, I've always liked Cheyrou, and found the team got better when he came on (he was often subbed in late).

In fact, I think I've seen him play for Marseille at the Stade Velodrome. I want to go back!

They did a wonderful job refurbishing the Stade de Velodrome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the first season I think ever - where we have done our business early before training camp mostly and before the season kicks off. I am very optimistic about that - we've usually treated the first 5-6 games as pre-season. Still have to overcome that brutal away run to start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little write up by a French Football website, bodes well for us if Cheyrou is everything they say he is. Looks like he almost stayed in Ligue Un too.
    http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2015...or-toronto-fc/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw I remember Cheyrou as a mean MF (multiple meanings to that intended), a real legbreaker, if he has anything left he is not going to be someone who fades into the background.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We truly don't know what any player is until we see them take the pitch and deal with the riggers of the MLS for the first time.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ligue Un refs tend to let a lot of rough calls go, he should be well suited to a dirty league like MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice little read, I knew nothing about this guy but looks like he is a legit player. It also looks like TFC ain't done yet, I have a feeling we will see another move

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Little write up by a French Football website, bodes well for us if Cheyrou is everything they say he is. Looks like he almost stayed in Ligue Un too.
    http://frenchfootballweekly.com/2015...or-toronto-fc/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see that Giovinco is joining the Reds for the full season.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expecting another move today or at least a rumor or I will be very disappointed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible to look in either end of the telescope and draw conclusions from what is observed. There are a lot of positives and negatives that aren't mutually exclusive.

Having said that, this team does seem more set up for success than last season's team.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other news / move I was talking about is Giovinco to come early. Seems its out there now.

I am sure there will be other moves, but things seem to be set for Florida on Sunday team wise for now.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The other news / move I was talking about is Giovinco to come early. Seems its out there now.

I am sure there will be other moves, but things seem to be set for Florida on Sunday team wise for now.
    It is great to see such a stable roster compared to years gone past. The prime example is the 2011 pre-season which included only 14 signed players heading into it for the trip to Turkey and a whopping nine trialists plus draft picks and academy players. A mish mash of sorts.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It is great to see such a stable roster compared to years gone past. The prime example is the 2011 pre-season which included only 14 signed players heading into it for the trip to Turkey and a whopping nine trialists plus draft picks and academy players. A mish mash of sorts.
    There are some pretty funny stories around that year. I can tell you JK really fucked that up and Winter / BDK got a hot potato dropped in their lap.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.elfvoetbal.nl/nieuws/3989...euwe-uitdaging

Marcel de Jong, open to MLS and TFC?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman@LukeWileman · 8m8 minutes ago #TSN has confirmed the @DiMarzio report. @Wheelertsn says Sebastian Giovinco is leaving Juventus to join @torontofc for start of @MLS season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    There are some pretty funny stories around that year. I can tell you JK really fucked that up and Winter / BDK got a hot potato dropped in their lap.
    Just having to fulfill the obligation of going to Turkey was a head ache in itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes he comes early andiamo GIO!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol y'all are gonna laugh when you see how short he is in person, I saw him in Italy and was funny...but his quick feet and low centre of gravity, make him a very tough mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

If D jong signs with TFC he would have to be a starter and the only way i see that happening is if they move Morrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

can't read french but please happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    If D jong signs with TFC he would have to be a starter and the only way i see that happening is if they move Morrow
    what about LM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    What happened to finding younger South Americans? We don't even try, why is that? Other teams routinely find very serviceable $150K/year international CBs, but we always spend $300-400K, and midyear we all say the guy is overpaid. Always.
    Problem with this statement is that it's based on our previous low cap system. Not that we know for certain that it will be higher but if it goes up by what the insiders are suggesting then spending this much on certain, important pieces to the starting line up shouldn't be a problem. As for risk/reward, there is as much or even more with S.A players. Sure many teams have good reasonable players from the south but there are many who come here and get overwhelmed by culture shocks, temperatures, travel, etc. They play their whole lives in Columbia for instance and then come here, everything is different. Even more so than Europeans as the Europeans generally will at least be able to communicate effectively. Plus now we have a lot of youth in the squad and to succeed we will need leaders. A young unproven guy from S.A who can't speak English isn't going to be that. I'm all for rolling the dice on projects from down there but unless they are DP quality then I am not banking on anyone from S.A who is coming on a free, at a cheap rate, to be good enough or able to step in and start in MLS. It happens but it's nothing I'd bank my season on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    can't read french but please happen
    It's Dutch, not French. Just says he is interested in coming to MLS and that his kid doesn't see his her grandparents very often (I'm guessing they live in Newmarket?).He also says that reports of him having overly high salary demands are false.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 01-30-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think we need a starter for the wing positions but didn't vanney say he would like to add a piece there but he didn't think we would? I remember him saying something like "the timing has to be right". I think thats all we are missing. I'm not 100 percent convinced of Bloom being a MLS starter either. I guess he has the reigns till at least summer. I remember his crossing wasn't the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I'm not 100 percent convinced of Bloom being a MLS starter either. I guess he has the reigns till at least summer. I remember his crossing wasn't the best.
    Me neither but at least he shows flashes of it. He is just very inconsistent. Hopefully having his family and contract in order will help him to settle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andmat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    what about LM
    Exactly; he could be a wide option, and on either side (allowing him to cut in, from the right).

Some questions about his salary, though.. but, it's hard to gauge, until the C.B.A. is sorted.