Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, wern't people screaming about the lack of a DP for a long time and wondering when this team would finally bite the financial bullet?
    This is true. First few years, I remember fans wanted to sign some "world class" players while Paul B claim they were in talks with some of them. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Based on what? Sneijder is all about money not glory.

Based on the fact that he turned down the chance to join Van Gaal at Man Utd simply because he wanted to play in Champions League, which ManU wasn't qualified for and Galatasary was.

He is ALL about glory!
    Last edited by gdg_9; 11-07-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Based on the fact that he turned down the chance to join Van Gaal at Man Utd simply because he wanted to play in Champions League, which ManU wasn't qualified for and Galatasary was.

He is ALL about glory!

where do you people get this info from, that is pure and absolute nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman@LukeWileman 4m4 minutes ago
    Montreal Impact's Frank Klopas confirms to @TSN690RadioMtl that Toronto FC was the club that tried to sign Matteo Ferrari during the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Guffaw.

This cannot be serious. Nobody here, least of all lame duck Leiweke, has the ability to deliver this. Plus no player of the stature of these guys is coming into a situation where they don't know who the boss will be.

This highlights the mistake Bogers is making in not canning Leiweke right away.

Leiweke is just doing favors for the agent for Gerrard and Sneijder, while he can.
    I dunno dude, Gerrard has looked old and tired this year. Unless LFC gives him a contract to retire with them as a bencher, I don't know if another club at that level would come in. And Sneidjer's injury history -- his career was deemed done at one point -- limits him, too.

Both of these guys might be looking for a last payout. Either way, they're exactly the players this team SHOULDN'T pursue. Stevie G might still be good enough for MLS but he's a stopgap, not a long-term contributor, and Sneidjer is just too risky.

We should shoot for a quality SA attacking midfielder, either a fringe from Europe who wants a better deal back here and more playing time, or someone out of the SA leagues. Enough with gambling on crocked Europeans. After Danny and Defoe you'd think we'd have learned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If he's trolling he's doing a good job. NBCSN had now picked up on this story
    WHich means nothing. No one sources anything properly anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Luke Wileman@LukeWileman 4m4 minutes ago
    Montreal Impact's Frank Klopas confirms to @TSN690RadioMtl that Toronto FC was the club that tried to sign Matteo Ferrari during the season
    If we have the cap room and he was willing, I would sign him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Rollins source is this very thread.

Both names were mentioned a few days ago.

He's trolling.
    I made the post on Page 6 or 7 about Sneijder... and that was just me putting it out there since I read he was unsettled at Gala. Wanted to see what people thought about a 30 year old international coming to play in a position we desperately need.

In that case, I read Messi is unsettled at Barcelona *cough*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abderrazak_Hamdallah
    http://wildeastfootball.net/2014/09/...ls-not-europe/

This guy is pining for a move to MLS. 22 goals in 22 games in the Chinese league as a lone striker in Sven-Goran Eriksson's team. Good record when he was in Norway and Morocco was well. Young at only 23 yrs, plays for Moroccan NT (5 goals in 9 according to Wiki). Not a name though and probably won't come too cheap depending on how long he has on his contract, given he cost 4.5m Euros just last year. Given that he hasn't settled in China and specifically targets MLS, perhaps it's a possibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez was just on TSN Radio, mentioned looking at South America when re-investing any funds they may receive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Bez was just on TSN Radio, mentioned looking at South America when re-investing any funds they may receive.
    I think we will be selling Gilberto and finding another Gilberto. Can't see us bringing in a plethora of South Americans.

There will be a big name European / Brit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there's one thing that will stop Sneijder from coming here more than anything else, it's that he is currently still in the Dutch NT picture. I don't know what Hiddink's opinion on MLS is, but I know that the Dutch in general don't think very highly of MLS at all. If he doesn't plan on retiring from international duty (and I'm quite sure he doesn't), then he's sure to ask the NT manager's advice, and they'll tell him that his place won't be guaranteed if he goes to MLS. And on the flipside, if he is able to keep his place in the NT, do we want another DP who will be called up at every international break?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I dunno dude, Gerrard has looked old and tired this year. Unless LFC gives him a contract to retire with them as a bencher, I don't know if another club at that level would come in. And Sneidjer's injury history -- his career was deemed done at one point -- limits him, too.

Both of these guys might be looking for a last payout. Either way, they're exactly the players this team SHOULDN'T pursue. Stevie G might still be good enough for MLS but he's a stopgap, not a long-term contributor, and Sneidjer is just too risky.

We should shoot for a quality SA attacking midfielder, either a fringe from Europe who wants a better deal back here and more playing time, or someone out of the SA leagues. Enough with gambling on crocked Europeans. After Danny and Defoe you'd think we'd have learned.
    My point is: these guys may move to MLS or wherever, but they ain't coming here until mgmt vacuum is resolved.

Harry Potter can't get something like this done with the MLSE board, neither can Leiweke as a lame duck.

Players of this caliber are coming for top dollars, but there's always a relationship angle (ie Koevermans and Frings had connections to Winter/Klinsmann). That part can't possibly work in the current vacuum.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I am a firm believer in life that you have to find things that you are passionate about and you have to be then ready to go all in. Ideally you want to do that with people who have that same mentality, hunger and commitment and if you don't have that feeling and that focus and commitment to do something then its going to be difficult to ever enjoy yourself and be all in."
    Bradley today as quoted by Kristian Jack

http://www.tsn.ca/jack-no-ordinary-n...peaks-1.127648

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm personally not interested in either of these names. It seems unlikely to me that these moves result in 1) fans who actually provide TFC with repeat business, which is what's needed, not one offs who come for spectacle of a former star who is past his best years. 2) A situation where the player / club can co-exist and be happy.

It's a waste of money. And I know "it's not our money" but in the end they count of the fans to recover costs and we'll pay for it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed.

People here need to accept what TFC is now. Also given salary cap is going to increase and potentially have another DP slot means bigger clubs like TFC can spend their way to win trophies.

Based on what? Sneijder is all about money not glory.

Gerrard makes sense because he probably looking for last big pay cheque (which he isn't going to get in Europe) before hanging his boots.

Based on the fact he is still in European/World form. He's 30, but he is not over the hill.
    Players like him will not come when they still have something to offer to top European clubs.

Gerrard makes more sense. After this or next year the only teams that will go after him with big-ish money would be mid tier clubs.
    I don't see someone like him going from Liverpool to, oh I dunno, Stoke City or West Brom. He'll either finish it Liverpool - eventually being a bench player - or he goes to another league a world away and make some cash and get some life experience with his family for a couple years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Liverpool will do with him what Utd did with Giggs, graudaly reduce his playing time and eventually move him into some coaching role. The day Gerrard came out and said he might move, his boss came out and the next day and said they want to keep him. Couldn't they have discussed that in private, Gerrard just looking for best deal he can get with Liverpool, he know the status the fans hold him in.
    I'm a utd fan and have no love for Gerrard, but I cringe at some of the comments on here re him (not directing this at you but in general). He's a complete team player, his long range passing is still top class, he can score free kicks, he takes penatlies, he scores from distance, he'a a born leader. Sure he doesn't get up and down like he used to, but he has modified his role now, and he wouldn't be coming to play that role anyway. He would be a stop gap, you'd easily get 2 possibly 3 yrs out of him, but here's the thing, if we unearth some hidden gem in South or central america, they will be snapped up either by a top mexican side or a european team anyway within 2-3 yrs.
    Moot point really on Gerrard, as I say, I don't see him going anywhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a Livepool fan, but I'd hate to see a guy of Gerrard's class coming to the morass that is TFC. Somehow it would all end with our fans hating Gerrard and the name he built for himself in all these years would be dragged through the mud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    where do you people get this info from, that is pure and absolute nonsense.
    This "absolute nonsense" is a direct quote from the player himself.

Sneijder: 'Louis (Van Gaal) is one of the most intelligent men in football - and I knew of Manchester United's interest in the summer.
    'It was flattering - but I am very happy in Turkey - and it is very hard to leave Champions League football.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Sneijder.html

Maybe next time try doing a bit of research yourself before blindly bashing information provided.

Even the most basic Google search would have given you plenty of hits for other articles with this same info.
    Last edited by gdg_9; 11-07-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Why?

It's a revenue shared league and the real prize is the share of ownership within MLS/SUM . MLSE only keeps half it's ticket revenue for MLS games. The big money is in Friendlies where teams keep 100% of proceeds. As long as MLSE has access to a soccer stadium to book events and shares in TV rights for USA/Mexico NT games through SUM, it's fine.
    Why what?

I don't get the point you are trying to make.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?

It's a revenue shared league and the real prize is the share of ownership within MLS/SUM . MLSE only keeps half it's ticket revenue for MLS games. The big money is in Friendlies where teams keep 100% of proceeds. As long as MLSE has access to a soccer stadium to book events and shares in TV rights for USA/Mexico NT games through SUM, it's fine.

8000 empty seats without factoring in those that need another star to stay interested.

Only have so many dates for friendlies. Especially a year like this one.

I know you don't care for star DP's. People here don't need them but we aren't the majority.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If that's the case, then why do we have clubs like L.A., Seattle and newer teams (NYCFC and Orlando) spending big on players?
    Well, they don't spend more than TFC did this year. But you are right, they do spend. Why? Who knows. Egos? Part of a handshake agreement within the overall business to boost interest in big TV markets?

Reality is that MLS is changing where we are going to have and have not teams because teams have freedom to buy "world class" players.
    "Former World Class Players" is a more accurate label based on the names that are being thrown about.
    Given TFC history, I highly doubt they will stop spending money (TFC always had DP's).
    I agree there. They don't have a plan so, like the Leafs prior to the salary cap, spending is their only real advantage. At the same time, they are also not used to losing money. TL has indicated they are losing.

The notion that TFC will always need to spend big is based on what?

There is no overriding profit motive based on the way MLS is structured. In fact, they spent record dollars this year and attendance dropped off through the season. Interest wasn't sustained. TV ratings were crap. They can't raise ticket prices for fear of losing everyone and it didn't boost performance.

If the new President steps in front of the Board to argue for more of the above, I suspect that s/he won't be long in that job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    If there's one thing that will stop Sneijder from coming here more than anything else, it's that he is currently still in the Dutch NT picture. I don't know what Hiddink's opinion on MLS is, but I know that the Dutch in general don't think very highly of MLS at all. If he doesn't plan on retiring from international duty (and I'm quite sure he doesn't), then he's sure to ask the NT manager's advice, and they'll tell him that his place won't be guaranteed if he goes to MLS. And on the flipside, if he is able to keep his place in the NT, do we want another DP who will be called up at every international break?
    Yes, but for how many more national team games does Sneijder have? His replacements are on their mark, getting set....

I agree that he will want to stay as long as he can. But just think about how great it would be if he came here. Haha, I can barely type that last line without bellowing. Just think about it though. So sweet. Yolanthe could do her Mrs. Beckham thing too.

I would buy Seasons.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    8000 empty seats without factoring in those that need another star to stay interested.

Only have so many dates for friendlies. Especially a year like this one.

I know you don't care for star DP's. People here don't need them but we aren't the majority.
    Yes, they will have 8,000 empty seats. But if the premise is that they are profit hungry, there are a couple of ways to make a profit.

Increase revenues OR reduce expenses.

2014 will have taught them that spending big doesn't lead to sustainable long term interest (as evidenced by the empty seats through the second half of the season). It doesn't lead to massive TV audiences. It doesn't lead to automatic playoff dates. There is a lot of risk in spending big and there are no guarantees of increased revenues.

They could be profitable next year overnight by reducing expenses on at least 1, maybe 2 contracts. The minute Defoe is sold, is the minute that they start to look at a break even point.

To say that we will always keep spending the big bucks based on a profit motive may be true. But equally plausible, for a profit hungry team, is the idea that spending will be cut back to the point that profits can be sustained.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, they don't spend more than TFC did this year. But you are right, they do spend. Why? Who knows. Egos? Part of a handshake agreement within the overall business to boost interest in big TV markets?

"Former World Class Players" is a more accurate label based on the names that are being thrown about.

I agree there. They don't have a plan so, like the Leafs prior to the salary cap, spending is their only real advantage. At the same time, they are also not used to losing money. TL has indicated they are losing.

The notion that TFC will always need to spend big is based on what?

There is no overriding profit motive based on the way MLS is structured. In fact, they spent record dollars this year and attendance dropped off through the season. Interest wasn't sustained. TV ratings were crap. They can't raise ticket prices for fear of losing everyone and it didn't boost performance.

If the new President steps in front of the Board to argue for more of the above, I suspect that s/he won't be long in that job.
    You said above the team keeps half the gate, the other half goes to the league. So you think half of gate receipts means there is no incentive to get bums in seats? Half of gate receipts is a hell of a lot of money!

ed: I see from your post above where you are going with this. Never mind.
    Last edited by Canary10; 11-07-2014 at 01:55 PM.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As TFC continues to sign these old Euro's who ride the gravy train to injury-land, I fully expect TFC to miss the playoffs again in 2015.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they will have 8,000 empty seats. But if the premise is that they are profit hungry, there are a couple of ways to make a profit.

Increase revenues OR reduce expenses.

2014 will have taught them that spending big doesn't lead to sustainable long term interest (as evidenced by the empty seats through the second half of the season). It doesn't lead to massive TV audiences. It doesn't lead to automatic playoff dates. There is a lot of risk in spending big and there are no guarantees of increased revenues.

They could be profitable next year overnight by reducing expenses on at least 1, maybe 2 contracts. The minute Defoe is sold, is the minute that they start to look at a break even point.

To say that we will always keep spending the big bucks based on a profit motive may be true. But equally plausible, for a profit hungry team, is the idea that spending will be cut back to the point that profits can be sustained.
    2014 is the first time they tried spending big. AND had they spent big and been successful, we wouldn't seen empty seats. So again, isn't this more about have good players than it is cost?

Big names put buts in seats. Big names build a brand. They should also be part of team success and the latter was the only part lacking this year.

They can't just throw out the Dp baby with the bathwater based on one bad execution.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    You said above the team keeps half the gate, the other half goes to the league. So you think half of gate receipts means there is no incentive to get bums in seats? Half of gate receipts is a hell of a lot of money!
    Sure getting bums in the seats is nice. But it isn't the only way to make a profit.

Spending less while bringing in the same number of people leads to profits too. TFC doesn't just make money when the stadium is full. Their own financials show that they were going to be very happy at 14,000 attendance levels. Of course, that was on a different budget.

Just simply pointing out that attracting more "customers" isn't the only way a corporation can turn a profit. I'd also guess that a corporation that has spent a lot to get bums in the seats and finds itself still losing money will be a little cost conscious going forward… don't you?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    2014 is the first time they tried spending big. AND had they spent big and been successful, we wouldn't seen empty seats. So again, isn't this more about have good players than it is cost?

Big names put buts in seats. Big names build a brand. They should also be part of team success and the latter was the only part lacking this year.

They can't just throw out the Dp baby with the bathwater based on one bad execution.
    It's not one bad execution though. Koevermans - injured. Frings - injured. Defoe - injured.

Key players. Big contracts. Difference makers. On the bench at times when they could have had an impact on performance. Just as the odds predicted.

Chasing retirement bound players will result in the above more often than not. It's the fundamental flaw in the plan

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not one bad execution though. Koevermans - injured. Frings - injured. Defoe - injured.

Key players. Big contracts. Difference makers. On the bench at times when they could have had an impact on performance. Just as the odds predicted.

Chasing retirement bound players will result in the above more often than not. It's the fundamental flaw in the plan
    +1

I bet TL is saying Yes and Harry Potter is saying No but is being overruled.