Page 107 of 134 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem with TFC has been the constant turnover in management and therefore players. We sure better hope that Vanney is the right guy because I don't think there is too much room for changing this roster again. It would have been terrific as a supporter to see Gilberto develop this season, and despite his erratic finishing, Oduro was electric on the field and class off it. Is Findley actually better than him, after major knee surgery? I doubt it. If he gives us three goals we should be happy.
    In MLS almost every player has noticeable weaknesses and the secret is knitting their strengths together in a way that hides the weaknesses. That's highly Manager dependent. I sure hope that Vanney's abilities are shown by his press conferences and not last years results, or we will have a new manager next summer and end up shedding Findlay, Perquis, etc etc etc and starting the process all over again. Not sure I can do this too many more times, myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    The biggest problem with TFC has been the constant turnover in management and therefore players. We sure better hope that Vanney is the right guy because I don't think there is too much room for changing this roster again. It would have been terrific as a supporter to see Gilberto develop this season, and despite his erratic finishing, Oduro was electric on the field and class off it. Is Findley actually better than him, after major knee surgery? I doubt it. If he gives us three goals we should be happy.
    In MLS almost every player has noticeable weaknesses and the secret is knitting their strengths together in a way that hides the weaknesses. That's highly Manager dependent. I sure hope that Vanney's abilities are shown by his press conferences and not last years results, or we will have a new manager next summer and end up shedding Findlay, Perquis, etc etc etc and starting the process all over again. Not sure I can do this too many more times, myself.
    Your penchant for turning every thread into a Vanney shitfest is getting tiresome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to disappoint, Mr Loome, but cheering on the departure of players is tiresome in itself. Go back and you'll see several pages in this thread of that. Ultimately, the wisdom of this depends on Vanney and Bez, and the jury has to be out on them, and needs to be said after five pages of Oduro and Gilberto bashing. I'm not going to join in and cheer for the departure of Gilberto - I'd far rather be able to see him overcome his first mediocre season next year in a TFC shirt, and sure, Oduro couldn't finish, but loved having him on the team. If we don't support the players, we are just cheering for laundry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turnover is inevitable. It happens with every football club during every off season at every level around the world. Granted, TFC has lacked any sense of stability since the inception of the franchise, but I believe that we finally have a solid core in place to build around for several years.

Bradley, Giovinco, Altidore, and Morrow are all capable of being starters on a championship contender, and they are all in their mid 20's. We have a very promising crop of young talent with big time potential in Hagglund, Chapman, Bono, and Hamilton. We also have a solid group of young players that can provide quality depth in Osorio, Creavalle, Lovitz, Delgado, and Zavaleta.

We have veterans and journeymen in Caldwell, Perquis, Jackson, Findley, Moore, and Warner that are not likely in the long terms plan of the organization, but aside from Caldwell, they are still young enough to stick with the club for a few years if they contribute.

The key to stability will be patience with Bez and Vanney. If there is another change in management soon, the player turnstile will most certainly continue, and I am also growing tired of it. For better or worse, I think that the current regime should be given at least two years to build a club that we can finally be proud to support.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-28-2015 at 12:41 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fact is 161 players have played at least one game for the Reds since their first ever game against Chivas USA, so yes we have been faced with a revolving door. I am looking forward to this season, will be a fun ride, I hope at least.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be excited but can't be because I am too bothered by what I saw on the field after Nelsen was fired. Perhaps J Loome is correct, this isn't the place for those sentiments. Let blind optimism prevail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gareth Wheeler @WheelerTSN · 8h 8 hours ago Believe more roster moves of substance on the horizon for @torontofc - more in the coming days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be excited but can't be because I am too bothered by what I saw on the field after Nelsen was fired. Perhaps J Loome is correct, this isn't the place for those sentiments. Let blind optimism prevail.
    "Blind optimism"?
    Taking backhanded condescending shots at people who disagree with you is not exactly an endearing trait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    "Blind optimism"
    Taking backhanded condescending shots at people who disagree with you is not exactly an endearing trait.
    fellers it' too late for this, agree to disagree. This is a forum where there are many different views. Whether you agree or disagree, it doesn't make anyone's point more valid.

This is what anticipation does!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    just read something about Vasco wanting us to eat some of Gil's contract?!? What kind of BS is that! we shouldn't have to pay a penny of his contract especially when we're supposed to have multiple offers for him!
    Twitter stuff from South America is not to be trusted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Fact is 161 players have played at least one game for the Reds since their first ever game against Chivas USA, so yes we have been faced with a revolving door. I am looking forward to this season, will be a fun ride, I hope at least.
    161 seems like a high number but how does that compare to the rest of the league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Twitter stuff from South America is not to be trusted.
    While true, everything that was being reported yesterday came directly from Gils agent who spoke on the radio in Brazil yesterday.

Every report was just recycling what he said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost suspecting we bring in Farre followed by the obligatory "well our denial was true at the time we last spoke!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so he is going back on a free??if true how long can BEZ keep his job...HENRY,DEFOE,and now GILBERTO,he is way over his head.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so he is going back on a free??if true how long can BEZ keep his job...HENRY,DEFOE,and now GILBERTO,he is way over his head.
    I wouldn't be so fast to believe everything you read on the internet.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    But the interwebs are never wrong!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How dare you speak of the Internet that way!!!!!! The Internet told I'm it's always factual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with TFC and BEZ,we may never know the truth anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's fair to judge Vanney based on last year's extremely limited sample size, especially when you consider the circumstances surrounding the club at the time. He deserves the opportunity to start with a clean slate, with players that are more suited to his preferred tactical approach, and a training camp to prepare his squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canucks Abroad@Canucks_Abroad 51m51 minutes ago Breaking News: Marcel de Jong's contract with @FCAugsburg has been terminated. The Canadian LB is now unattached: http://www.transfermarkt.de/fc-augsburg-loest-vertrag-mit-linksverteidiger-de-jong-auf/view/news/186355

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't think it's fair to judge Vanney based on last year's extremely limited sample size, especially when you consider the circumstances surrounding the club at the time. He deserves the opportunity to start with a clean slate, with players that are more suited to his preferred tactical approach, and a training camp to prepare his squad.
    Even though I am almost positive that he will be fired before he really gets a fair shot to succeed, I am with you that he deserves a clean slate heading into this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Even though I am almost positive that he will be fired before he really gets a fair shot to succeed, I am with you that he deserves a clean slate heading into this season.
    And I agree with this... so we can see that Vanney is not the guy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    What do you mean? It's England 1966 all over again. Diamond 4-4-2 wingless wonders...
    Hmmm, you have a point, I was thinking mid-1970's through late 80's England, I wasn't watching in the 60's I'm older but not that old! I guess the proof will be more in the style of play than in the formation.

Having Bradly and Giovinco would tend to point to a more technical playing style.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-28-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring de Jong in at lb and move morrow to the right and have bloom as back up??

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    with TFC and BEZ,we may never know the truth anyway
    How is that different than ANY sports GM?

I am sorry but Mo told the truth? Mariner was upfront? Payne was super clear?

The fact is the media and fans are all over TFC's ass on players and movement - and rightly so. How many times did Manchester United say that Ronoldo wasn't moving and there were no talks....or Garath Bale from Tottenham....same thing.

The tell was in the Giovinco presser. They asked about a transfer fee and TFC said clearly - no fee involved as its a free. When asked about the Jozy and Defoe exchange they said its strictly forbidden under MLS rules to discuss transfer fees. Leads me to think there was a tranfer fee no?
    Last edited by Phil; 01-28-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    Julian de Guzman makes sense for this team.
    Interesting thought, at least that type of player would be perfect. I wouldn't want JDG though, his day is done. Unfortunately the JDG we saw wasn't the quality la liga player and CMNT star that many of us remember, it was some injured version playing on the wrong type of team, missing his wife and kid (who remained in Europe).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are more than willing to be in the dark if deals done in the dark result in a better deal for us.

However, if they are keeping stuff under wraps and screwing the pooch, (and that comes out later) man oh man, are these guys gonna take heat.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    People are more than willing to be in the dark if deals done in the dark result in a better deal for us.

However, if they are keeping stuff under wraps and screwing the pooch, (and that comes out later) man oh man, are these guys gonna take heat.
    Mo was VERY guilty of the screwing the pooch stuff. Hence supporter anger and distrust at anyone in that position.

I just don't get how a GM is supposed to (in any sport) tell the world every detail about what the plan is and how they will achieve it - especially in the MLS which is about as transparent as a 30 foot thick block of cement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo was VERY guilty of the screwing the pooch stuff. Hence supporter anger and distrust at anyone in that position.

I just don't get how a GM is supposed to (in any sport) tell the world every detail about what the plan is and how they will achieve it - especially in the MLS which is about as transparent as a 30 foot thick block of cement.
    I agree with that. And as hard as I am on the guy, I think every GM should be granted a chance to work in silence and do his job. Bez, to his credit, has tried to keep leaks to a minimum for this express purpose. The downside to this is when this part of the season rolls around and everyone is looking for scoops from their normal insider, it's harder to get. Which also, give credit to the journos who go to the other end of the deal / world to get confirmation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Canucks Abroad@Canucks_Abroad 51m51 minutes ago Breaking News: Marcel de Jong's contract with @FCAugsburg has been terminated. The Canadian LB is now unattached: http://www.transfermarkt.de/fc-augsburg-loest-vertrag-mit-linksverteidiger-de-jong-auf/view/news/186355
    Great player, but not the right fit under the current setup, unless you shop morrow and place him at LB, which is needless.