Page 104 of 134 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juventus are considering to sign Pazzini in case they sold Giovinco in January [Sky].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    There's a cap on what you receive on a sold player anyways, much less than the $3.2M, so doesn't matter.
    Well it would matter ..... if it is based on net and they sell him for $3.2M or less it means that other than freeing his $375k cap space and dp slot there is no net benefit. If they get off the total sell then they are looking at at least couple hundred thousand in allocation that can be used to buy player or pay down a new contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that we would get allocation based on the amount of the transfer fee, regardless of the amount we initially paid to acquire him.

Based on the reported allocation allotted from previous transfers, my guess is that if we sold Gilberto for 3 million dollars, we would receive approximately 180K in allocation, in addition to freeing up his salary cap hit.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He has skill, but he came in with a "I'll score 25" attitude, was allegedly unfit, got almost immediately injured and then once back scuffed his first twenty or so chances.

I think he could easily be a 12-15 goals per year guy, but his inability to mask his feelings about Defoe and lack of progress in learning English all suggested he'd have ups and downs. He wasn't adjusting the way the successful south American guys generally have. It's always dangerous buying from the big three in S.A.; Tim Vickery has talked about the fact that there's a lot of entitlement that comes with first really big contract, and keeping their heads in producing can be difficult.
    There's no question he has skill and I think you have to have that attitude as a striker, even if you don't live up to it. I'd rather have a forward who goes out there thinking he'll score every match than one who is sort of sure, but maybe not.

My concern with Gilberto was always that his career past seemed to indicate he always teased managers but never quite delivered. In the lower leagues in Brazil, he scored just fine, but on the higher level teams he always seemed to show a drop in production. Of course, I freely admit I haven't watched a whole lot of Brasileirao matches.

But if he's on a DP contract and he doesn't give you a DP goal total, then he goes. I can live with that, even though I liked him.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    There's no question he has skill and I think you have to have that attitude as a striker, even if you don't live up to it. I'd rather have a forward who goes out there thinking he'll score every match than one who is sort of sure, but maybe not.
    There's confidence, arrogance and straight up delusion. Letting yourself get out of shape while thinking you're going to walk in 25 goals is a poor attitude no matter how confident or skilled one is.

Regarding the bolded part, that's basically what we've got with Altidore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    My understanding is that we would get allocation based on the amount of the transfer fee, regardless of the amount we initially paid to acquire him.

Based on the reported allocation allotted from previous transfers, my guess is that if we sold Gilberto for 3 million dollars, we would receive approximately 180K in allocation, in addition to freeing up his salary cap hit.

Ok thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    No.

See my linked article above.
    I don't think that tells the story. It's not just the number of pieces but the importance of those pieces. Two DPs alone is a big adjustment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My concern with Gilberto was always that his career past seemed to indicate he always teased managers but never quite delivered. In the lower leagues in Brazil, he scored just fine, but on the higher level teams he always seemed to show a drop in production. Of course, I freely admit I haven't watched a whole lot of Brasileirao matches.

But if he's on a DP contract and he doesn't give you a DP goal total, then he goes. I can live with that, even though I liked him.
    The more I think about it, the less I'm able to refute the last point. It's probably too risky to assume he'll be a consistent producer next year, whereas selling him gives us significant ability to make other improvements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    There's confidence, arrogance and straight up delusion. Letting yourself get out of shape while thinking you're going to walk in 25 goals is a poor attitude no matter how confident or skilled one is.

Regarding the bolded part, that's basically what we've got with Altidore.
    Show me a nice striker and I'll show you someone that doesn't score often. These guys come with attitude more than any other position.

I don't see the self belief as the problem. He worked hard on the field. If we heard something different about training or his general attitude towards being here I might criticize, but we haven't seen much in that regard. He's not the only one on the squad to clash with Defoe.

I will give just about anybody a pass on fitness under the previous managment. Everything we heard slip through the cracks made them sound like a bunch of rank amateurs stuck in the past when it comes to training.

I just see it as him not having a strong start and TFC taking the out rather than potentially see his value go even lower. Hard to argue with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don't think that tells the story. It's not just the number of pieces but the importance of those pieces. Two DPs alone is a big adjustment.
    Did I miss something in "while most items are tossed in the garbage" that meant just Gilberto and Defoe?

Come on, this isn't a rebuild. Now, is it going to be successful? That I'm not sure of.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro tweets

FWIW, via @RennerMonnerat: #TFC's Gilberto wearing a Vasco de Gama jersey

#TFC official tells me reports of Gilberto being sold to Vasco are FALSE. He's just training there. https://twitter.com/RennerMonnerat/status/560134579244498944 …
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-27-2015 at 02:49 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Molinaro tweets

FWIW, via @RennerMonnerat: #TFC's Gilberto wearing a Vasco de Gama jersey

#TFC official tells me reports of Gilberto being sold to Vasco are FALSE. He's just training there. https://twitter.com/RennerMonnerat/status/560134579244498944 …
    Wearing their jersey with a big-ass smile on his face. The text, as best as I can make it out, reads something like "Looks happy to be of/with Vasco da Gama. Don't think small, Vasco's the world's biggest club"

There are several tweets welcoming Gilberto to the club in the guy's feed. He also makes a comment that states Gilberto is going there on a free.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Oh FFS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Zavaleta interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q-fnNtH_Co

He is well spoken and seems to have good perspective on where he's been and where he is now.
    Hopefully his game is as mature as his interview skills.
    As mentioned in the YouTube comments -- he kinda looks like Soolsma...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing their jersey with a big-ass smile on his face. The text, as best as I can make it out, reads something like "Looks happy to be of/with Vasco da Gama. Don't think small, Vasco's the world's biggest club"

There are several tweets welcoming Gilberto to the club in the guy's feed. He also makes a comment that states Gilberto is going there on a free.
    There is 0 % chance of this happening

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    As mentioned in the YouTube comments -- he kinda looks like Soolsma...
    I remember Zavaleta from the 2013 draft. He was being hyped up a lot before the draft and was in the top 5 of most mock drafts.

The strange thing is that in college football he was a striker - highest scorer 2 years in a row (scoring almost 40 goals in two years). but by the time he got to the draft, he was a defender!

Sounds like he can play multiple positions well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wowzer:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/01...oduro-montreal

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that the club has acquired allocation money from the Montréal Impact in exchange for midfielder Dominic Oduro. As per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    “This deal provided an opportunity to acquire financial assets that will allow us to continue to strengthen our squad,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “We’d like to thank Dom for his contributions to our club and wish him all the best.”
    Oduro, 29, has made 258 combined appearances across MLS league and playoff matches during his career. He was originally acquired in a trade on June 6, 2014 from the then Columbus Crew; and made 24 appearances, scoring two goals and added five assists for Toronto FC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a big loss. Probably the same amount of allocation NYRB sent to Montreal earlier today.

We need a winger though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big chuck of salary room freed up in that move

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duane Rollins seems to think that Gilberto is gone and the TFC FO is just TFCing about the whole situation.

<edit: now that Oduro is gone, it looks like things are starting to snowball. When is the real opening of training camp?>
    Last edited by Initial B; 01-27-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Wowzer:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2015/01...oduro-montreal

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that the club has acquired allocation money from the Montréal Impact in exchange for midfielder Dominic Oduro. As per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    “This deal provided an opportunity to acquire financial assets that will allow us to continue to strengthen our squad,” said Toronto FC General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. “We’d like to thank Dom for his contributions to our club and wish him all the best.”
    Oduro, 29, has made 258 combined appearances across MLS league and playoff matches during his career. He was originally acquired in a trade on June 6, 2014 from the then Columbus Crew; and made 24 appearances, scoring two goals and added five assists for Toronto FC.
    Now we are really thin on the wing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't like the Oduro move. It's always useful having a guy with that pace.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Riddance

Can't pass

Can't score

That's 200K of cap hit we can play with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I miss something in "while most items are tossed in the garbage" that meant just Gilberto and Defoe?

Come on, this isn't a rebuild. Now, is it going to be successful? That I'm not sure of.
    I'm not judging that side of it. But look, how many different starters do you think we'll see opening day? I'm going to ballpark 4, maybe five. That's a pretty large amount of change. They don't have to replace the whole starting 11 to meet that threshold.

Edit: Oduro is gone too? List continues to grow.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-27-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big chuck of salary room freed up in that move
    Very true. 250k salary off the books and even if we get 50k allocation back that's 300k to spend on new players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or cover the players we've already signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Don't like the Oduro move. It's always useful having a guy with that pace.
    We re-signed white boots this off season. He's got some pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We re-signed white boots this off season. He's got some pace.
    Ha, I haven't heard white boots before. But I knew exactly who you meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe billy whiteshoes jackson