Page 103 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Gilberto has to be moved to accommodate the early arrival of Giovinco, I can live with that decision, as long as it's not within MLS. That would definitely come back to haunt us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Getting to Europe. MLS to Mexico may be a bit of a sideways move, but if his goal is to get into a decent European team I suspect he will not want to return to Brazil.
    Not sure why you'd say that, it's more of a feeder to Europe than Mexico is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    the fact that TFC is negotiating a new contract with Luke Moore seems to indicate Moore will play a bigger role with TFC this season
    I do like Moore and hope he can bag a few more goals this year, yes.

I like Gilberto because of his intelligent movement, he has both power and finesse. But, most significantly, he links up very well with the more talented players, plus, he clearly has a lot of skill with the ball in the box. I think that he and Altidore, with Giovinco playing to and off of them, could be one of the most lethal strike teams in the league this year. That trio also allows Bradley more skilled options to play off of and will bring out the best in our current crop of mediocre wingers. With only Altidore and Giovinco, I feel like our wingers will be under far more pressure to deliver quality crosses and through balls to only two targets which they may not be able to live up to. With Gilberto up there with Altidore and Giovinco, these 3 will probably bring out the best in the supporting cast as they can be the skilled nucleus and the focal point of the attack.

If we move Gilberto, I think we will be forced to bring in higher quality wingers and maybe even another striker as the season goes on to support Altidore and Giovinco properly anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not sure why you'd say that, it's more of a feeder to Europe than Mexico is.
    It's a bit backwards in the context of his career. I'd be skeptical right off the bat if I was a European club looking at a guy who moved abroad, failed, and immediately returned to where he was comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd actually love to see Giovinco in the attacking mid/playmaker role with Altidore and Hamilton up front. Hamilton is pacey and is no push over in terms of physical attributes. Something about a huge Altidore holding the ball up while J Hams and Giovinco run into space gets my blood pumping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    I'd actually love to see Giovinco in the attacking mid/playmaker role with Altidore and Hamilton up front. Hamilton is pacey and is no push over in terms of physical attributes. Something about a huge Altidore holding the ball up while J Hams and Giovinco run into space gets my blood pumping
    I think it'd be detrimental to Hamilton's development to give him that big a responsibility right away. He was given that opportunity in Portugal and it didn't really turn out that well. I would much rather have him play for TFC 2, get called up for some Voyageur Cup games, and if he does well, put him on for 30 minutes every once in a while. You can't rush a younger player like that, or risk having them burn out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every year my head spins at the turnstile I call TFC off season. This year is, unfortunately, no different. Some might argue.....But we haven't lost 15 players - so this time is different. Maybe.

With the draft and other comings and goings - has anyone done the mathematics yet on where we stand on roster compliance, including international spots?

Maybe this should be it's own 2014 TFC Roster Compliance Discussion Thread.

Thanks in advance.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Every year my head spins at the turnstile I call TFC off season. This year is, unfortunately, no different. Some might argue.....But we haven't lost 15 players - so this time is different. Maybe....
    Not counting the Lovitz dance, we are 8 in and 8 out. That 8 out figure makes us joint least out with LAG.

There are teams with less in then us. But, there will always be some turnover.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2015

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not counting the Lovitz dance, we are 8 in and 8 out. That 8 out figure makes us joint least out with LAG.

Thank you. That's a helpful link.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re the turnstile issue: can we bring Henry back in May on loan?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anybody know where Dike fits into all of this? I know its tough to come off the injury that he had, but the guy was poised to make the Nigerian WC team last year and that's nothing to sniff at......seems like he's just an afterthought in all these mock formations......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GK - Bendik - Bono - Konopka - Roberts
    RB - Bloom - Charpie
    RCB - Caldwell - Hagglund - Thomas
    LCB - Perquis - Zavaleta - Simonin
    LB - Morrow - Morgan
    CDM - Creavalle - Delgado - Mannella
    CM - Bradley - Warner
    CAM - Giovinco - Osorio - Chapman - Aparicio
    RW - Jackson - Findley - Oduro
    ST - Altidore - Dike - Hamilton
    LW - Moore - Lovitz

This is what our depth looks like to me right now. I'm assuming that Moore is going to be taking on a bigger role within the team if he's being re-upped by the FO so I put him at LW. Obviously there are players that are able to play multiple positions, but for the sake of simplicity I went with one player, one position.

Looking at it I think we really need a DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    GK - Bendik - Bono - Konopka - Roberts
    Just nitpicking, but I'd place Roberts above Konopka. Konopka is essentially a rental player here in case of injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh I'd like to see Roberts get a shot some time this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Every year my head spins at the turnstile I call TFC off season. This year is, unfortunately, no different. Some might argue.....But we haven't lost 15 players - so this time is different. Maybe.
    I'd agree with you. They are selling that it's not complete rebuild but let's face it: they've replaced a very large chunk of the roster. This is not an example of working with what you've got; it's more like a house cleaning where the prided possession stays (Bradley) and a few other useful parts are kept while most items are tossed in the garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are returning a starting GK, 3 of 4 along the back line, 2 or 3 in the mid and potentially 1 up top.

This isn't a new team it's a team with a few pieces moved around and a coup upgrades pushing guys down the depth chart.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'd agree with you. They are selling that it's not complete rebuild but let's face it: they've replaced a very large chunk of the roster.....
    No.

See my linked article above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't get it. This has echoes of the love for Tie Domi/Darcy Tucker years ago. People are overrating that NY free kick incident, and his "hustle", in their overall evaluation of the guy. Gilberto was paid to produce, and didn't produce enough, for $1.2M. That is a lot of money in MLS, these other signings have made us numb to that.

He scuffed a ton of chances. As a pure soccer decision, moving Gilberto is defensible.

I can also see the case for keeping him, this wasn't a clear cut call, but I can't really argue that he deserved another chance either. For what he made, that was a pretty iffy year last year.

I share the fear that he might do a lot better elsewhere.

I totally disagree re the Domi/Tucker comparison (although Toronto does have a penchant for that crap going back to Roger Neilson and his love of "honest" players like Jimmy Jones). Gilberto is appreciated as a guy with great skills who also happened to have a good work ethic ... that suggested to people that he would work his way into good form. And he did to the extent that we saw what we were hoping for ... and enough to think he might just have a fantastic year this year, especially with the new talent.

I can also see that moving Gilberto is defensible and it won't be the end of the world if we lose him, but I would love to see him alongside Altidore in front of Giovinco and Bradley.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at that list the players that are out were not really starters last year. Jermaine Defoe and Doneil Henry were the only two that you could consider regular starters and we know the stories behind their departure which were valid and warranted. The rest are guys that started on the bench or didn't make the bench for some games. If you look at the players coming in they look much better on paper anyway because it looks like we added more guys with starter quality. Time will tell but I like what has been done. Always got to trim the fat a bit and fine tune in the offseason. I don't see this as being a big overhaul at all like some claim. Can't wait til they iron out Gilberto situation but I don't have a good feeling about that one and he will be a good size loss on the OUT column in that link.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

18 for us. 20 for KC. So less transactions than an excellent team.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my calculations, our turnover is second lowest to Philly. That's based on how many players went out. We actually signed most players before the preseason. Teams like LA still need to fill in gaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdogg View Post
    Just nitpicking, but I'd place Roberts above Konopka. Konopka is essentially a rental player here in case of injury.
    Agreed, and Jackson was primarily used on the LW but I can't remember if that changed under Vanney. Also Moore is more of a box striker no?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Zavaleta interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q-fnNtH_Co

He is well spoken and seems to have good perspective on where he's been and where he is now.
    Hopefully his game is as mature as his interview skills.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto is gonzo.

Whether Major League Soccer provides its teams with a fourth Designated Player spot in 2015 is inconsequential. Gilberto will be moved for the right price, a well-placed source confirmed to the Sun, adding the Reds have multiple "good offers" for the Brazilian from outside MLS.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/25...gins-this-week

I have no problem with this. he never wanted to stay here long-term, we're just a stepping stone. We bought him with plans to sell at a profit.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't get it. This has echoes of the love for Tie Domi/Darcy Tucker years ago. People are overrating that NY free kick incident, and his "hustle", in their overall evaluation of the guy. Gilberto was paid to produce, and didn't produce enough, for $1.2M. That is a lot of money in MLS, these other signings have made us numb to that.

He scuffed a ton of chances. As a pure soccer decision, moving Gilberto is defensible.

I can also see the case for keeping him, this wasn't a clear cut call, but I can't really argue that he deserved another chance either. For what he made, that was a pretty iffy year last year.

I share the fear that he might do a lot better elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    I totally disagree re the Domi/Tucker comparison (although Toronto does have a penchant for that crap going back to Roger Neilson and his love of "honest" players like Jimmy Jones). Gilberto is appreciated as a guy with great skills who also happened to have a good work ethic ... that suggested to people that he would work his way into good form. And he did to the extent that we saw what we were hoping for ... and enough to think he might just have a fantastic year this year, especially with the new talent.

I can also see that moving Gilberto is defensible and it won't be the end of the world if we lose him, but I would love to see him alongside Altidore in front of Giovinco and Bradley.
    I'm with Ensco on this one. DP money for a forward means you need to score.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm with Ensco on this one. DP money for a forward means you need to score.
    He has skill, but he came in with a "I'll score 25" attitude, was allegedly unfit, got almost immediately injured and then once back scuffed his first twenty or so chances.

I think he could easily be a 12-15 goals per year guy, but his inability to mask his feelings about Defoe and lack of progress in learning English all suggested he'd have ups and downs. He wasn't adjusting the way the successful south American guys generally have. It's always dangerous buying from the big three in S.A.; Tim Vickery has talked about the fact that there's a lot of entitlement that comes with first really big contract, and keeping their heads in producing can be difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Gilberto's likely departure, it's also important to factor in the allocation we would receive, assuming he is sold as opposed to traded. Combined with his salary cap hit, we would probably gain 400-500K in additional money to spend, which could go a long way towards bolstering the roster.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 01-27-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Regarding Gilberto's likely departure, it's also important to factor in the allocation we would receive, assuming he is sold as opposed to traded. Combined with his salary cap hit, we would probably gain 400-500K in additional money to spend, which could go a long way towards bolstering the roster.
    How does this work? Considering we paid a transfer fee for him is the allocation figure based off the net difference between what we bought him for and sold him at? Seems if it is just based on the total transfer fee to sell then it is an easy way for money teams to get allocation dollars. If off the net .... are we really going to get much more than $3.2M for him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with all that money sign a DM and start playing sexy football allowign our attacking players to play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    How does this work? Considering we paid a transfer fee for him is the allocation figure based off the net difference between what we bought him for and sold him at? Seems if it is just based on the total transfer fee to sell then it is an easy way for money teams to get allocation dollars. If off the net .... are we really going to get much more than $3.2M for him?
    There's a cap on what you receive on a sold player anyways, much less than the $3.2M, so doesn't matter.