Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Sounds as if Farre is going to happen
    http://mundod.lavoz.com.ar/futbol/gu...to-de-belgrano
    Can anyone translate?

Could be similiar to Seattle picking up Pineda last year though . He did wonders for there counter-attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone wants Farre's (sort of) highlight tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPEjMnlEok
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-09-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Can anyone translate?

Could be similiar to Seattle picking up Pineda last year though . He did wonders for there counter-attack.
    Dudes their captain and much loved. Could be a good add. Bet he comes cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's crazy how enticing getting paid on time is when it's never happened to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does seem to have a good pedigree, but I hope he comes cheap too. I'm a bit concerned about his age and am hoping there is another, younger midfielder in the plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He scored the goal that sent River Plate down for the first time in forever and is described on his spanish wiki page as "tactically disciplined and a surpise arrival on goal." sounds alright.

His stats on Football Manager are really good too. For whatever that's worth.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-09-2014 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone translate?

There's a lot of drama in the article haha. I'll just interpret each paragraph:

1 - Suggesting Farre's last game marked his last appearance for Belgrano
    2 - Scored the goal that relegated River Plate, he appears to be on the eve of signing a 2 year deal with Toronto
    3 - Toronto was interested months ago, gave him an offer he could hardly refuse (yet he still appears to be interested in going back to Belgrano one day)
    4 - He confirmed interest and said the contract is there but it is yet to be finalized, so until it is everything is uncertain. Pretty much said "we'll see how it plays out".
    5 - He wants to finish his career at Belgrano (bolded in the article). Said he definitely wants to end there, but wants to try out a new culture and superior contract
    6 - His intermediary will call him this week. Says he's anxious but still says things won't necessarily be finalized this week.

Rest of the stuff is more about the end of the season for Belgrano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He scored the goal that sent River Plate down for the first time in forever and is described on his spanish wiki page as "tactically disciplined and a surpise arrival on goal." sounds alright.
    I am not denying his pedigree, but rather questioning how much he has left in the tank due to being on the wrong side of thirty. Because I don't know much about him, its a legitimate question to ask. If he is going to last only a season or two here than I hope that tfc has another midfielder in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evermorian View Post
    I am not denying his pedigree, but rather questioning how much he has left in the tank due to being on the wrong side of thirty. Because I don't know much about him, its a legitimate question to ask. If he is going to last only a season or two here than I hope that tfc has another midfielder in mind.

Oh no I totally agree, I just think that if this team is committed for a playoff run this year we have to stock our team with a guy or two like this. Just dudes who are ringers who can totally hold down there position for a year while grooming a guy to take his place after he's gone. I doubt we'd be signing this guy without another younger guy who can play CM too.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-09-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also from my googling of "volante central" and the fact that he's #5 I think w're looking at a CB/CDM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SoccerWiki has him as a DM(C) & M(RC)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Also from my googling of "volante central" and the fact that he's #5 I think w're looking at a CB/CDM.
    Think it suggests he's a holding mid of sorts, probably defensive as well. Aka the guy who we'll count on to get the ball off the backline without Bradley dropping too deep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure it's in the highlight vid posted above, but here is that goal that sent River Plate down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q65PU8buX4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evermorian View Post
    He does seem to have a good pedigree, but I hope he comes cheap too. I'm a bit concerned about his age and am hoping there is another, younger midfielder in the plans.
    He's a ninety-minute warrior; started 32 of 34 appearances last season, finished every appearance, picked up fifteen yellow cards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's a ninety-minute warrior; started 32 of 34 appearances last season, finished every appearance, picked up fifteen yellow cards.
    Somebody else for the refs to pick on then....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Ferre story makes no sense. We don't have the cap space to spend $300-400K on a player like this, and I don't see him coming for less.

We have major cap issues, and will forever. Defoe will need to be replaced by a major signing for marketing reasons (this ain't it) .... and with Bradley, Gilberto, Caldwell, Oduro, that is half the cap for 5 players.

If Oduro gets miraculously picked up by someone, maybe they could do this, but I believe I'll see Santa coming down the chimney before that happens.

You need to be on the Columbus/SKC/RSL payroll model to play for these types of guys. Unless the cap goes to $4M or above. I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-10-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id agree but we dont know our current allocation due to Laba, what the cap is going to be raised to etc etc. Ill wait and see

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This Ferre story makes no sense. We don't have the cap space to spend $300-400K on a player like this, and I don't see him coming for less.

We have major cap issues, and will forever. Defoe will need to be replaced by a major signing for marketing reasons (this ain't it) .... and with Bradley, Gilberto, Caldwell, Oduro, that is half the cap for 5 players.

If Oduro gets miraculously picked up by someone, maybe they could do this, but I believe I'll see Santa coming down the chimney before that happens.

You need to be on the Columbus/SKC/RSL payroll model to play for these types of guys. Unless the cap goes to $4M or above. I'm not holding my breath.
    Well, between the Laba deal, others that we technically *don't* know about (they freed up money at the end of last year through some behind the scenes moves) and the anticipated increase in the cap.....we probably do have more room than we think.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Well, between the Laba deal, others that we technically *don't* know about (they freed up money at the end of last year through some behind the scenes moves) and the anticipated increase in the cap.....we probably do have more room than we think.
    yeah heard this from several people too

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is murky at best, TFC is no different when it comes to money/allocation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're probably (hopefully) not paying Ecks' salary anymore. Plus Bez said he anticipates the cap to go up $1 million.

I'm interested to see how much Farre makes though. That article mentions a significant pay increase. How much does the average midfielder in Argentina make?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    (they freed up money at the end of last year through some behind the scenes moves)
    You've piqued my curiosity. You mean like the Henry sale+loan back? Were there other weird moves like that that haven't become public yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    We're probably (hopefully) not paying Ecks' salary anymore. Plus Bez said he anticipates the cap to go up $1 million.

I'm interested to see how much Farre makes though. That article mentions a significant pay increase. How much does the average midfielder in Argentina make?
    Only $1 million? Wow! If that's the case then we're light years away from being a top 20 league in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO we could be signing dudes today, right? the window opens after the draft is done. I'm hoping for some activity. I crave news.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    So was Caldwell before the calendar turned over to 2014.

Risky business this aging thing. Buying stock right before it plummets isn't advisable.
    Last edited by Pookie; 12-10-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Risky business this aging thing. Buying stock right before it plummets isn't advisable.
    True, but that wasn't a problem with DC United this past season. LA also had it's share of wily veterans.

I think management just has to do their due diligence in terms of evaluating an older player's injury history prior to making any commitments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although long forgotten, I assume Eckersley's contract is now off the books. No way in hell NY was paying 100% of that.

But I assume they are budgeting for a decent increase in cap room + players to be moved out. I don't think we're going to be too tight.

Might be the first time in history the books aren't a complete mess. Thank you KP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

He has no injury history and is a defensive player, so he's on the lower end of that risk, as speed isn't his biggest issue. As for risk of injury, it increases with age but is still generally indicated by prior history and he has none.

Ensco, the everyday wages in the Argentine league are actually quite low unless you're a standout (he is), and even then they're not spectacular, very second/third/Scandinavia.

If he's like a lot of veteran starters there, he's probably making about $250K. Since they'll try to save money on him there as he ages and wins new contracts, moving to a parallel level to what he used to get might be what he's looking for, ala Higuain when he joined the league (and was on 180K).

I can see it, but not for more than $250K a season.

The one that would surprise me now is Bloom to Orlando, unless they want him to back up Dan Gargan, who they'll take early (despite mls' mock draft results, which are a bit puzzling.) After Gargan's last two seasons of consistently good play they'd be crazy not to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    How much does the average midfielder in Argentina make?
    I think the higher paying leagues in South America follow: Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Columbia, Uruguay, Ecuador. Even then, a top Argentine midfielder should go for around $300,000 US in their league. If the cap is raised to where the starters can all be paid in the $300-400K range, I think we could be seeing a dramatic upswing in the quality of play in MLS next year.

I get the feeling the CBA will be ratified sooner than later - clubs will need to start signing players for the new season by the end of January transfer window. That will be hard to do if the budget isn't set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovitz is gone to NY.