Page 90 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
    You know I wasn't referring to immigrants from the UK with my statement. It sounds very natural when someone like yourself uses those terms. It sounds forced to me when people born and raised in Canada do it.

There are so many words that are primarily used in British English (rubbish, lad, lorry, advert, bollocks) that are quite endearing when speaking with someone from that part of the world, but sound odd when a born and raised Canadian or American uses them, so please don't take offense to a comment that wasn't directed at you.

If Gilberto is out the door, I hope it was on his own terms and not the decision of management. If so, it could be another case of watching someone out the door and on to greater success.
    No problem man, we are all here for the same reason,lol Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Way to qualify who's relevant.

You know what we need to get over this? Acceptance. This country is a mosaic, this game is the Worlds game. Regardless of the terms one use we should all be capable of getting to subject we all love.

TOO MANY DAMN qualifiers in NA.

I don't care where you or your relatives grew up as long you love the game enough to talk about it and what we have in common.

If Gila leaves this team I can't see him giving another in MLS a try. We'll see. Hopefully this will become a goalapalooza amongst the forwards all trying to prove themselves. Lots of pressure for all of them.
    Guy can be a Borneo bushman for all I frigging care, as long as he can create goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thinking of Gilberto. What if we sell him and have him loaned back to us until the end of the season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Just thinking of Gilberto. What if we sell him and have him loaned back to us until the end of the season?
    Yeah, I jokingly suggested TFC2 in the Giovinco thread; but we could always pull a Reverse Cyprus (tm).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time TFC announces any signing or new info about the stadium expansion the Season Seats info pops back up on the TFC site. It is always there but gets buried a bit until an announcement. I don't know why I find that amusing but I just do. Marketing at work....why not.

Nice to see some signings....hope we keep Gilberto because I think he will get better the more time he has in the league and I like his character. Seems to be a good team guy and loves our city. We have a truckload of allocation I would think they could maybe buy down his DP status or they bring in the 4th DP slot with the CBA so they don't have to worry about that. Definitely need another strong CB and I think we can make it just fine with Hagglund filling in as backup. Looking forward to the season again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Because the team that we sold him to would have to pay the majority of his salary while on loan here for him to not count as a DP. Maybe would could give him away and have the other team pay his salary while he's on loan here instead of paying a transfer fee

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well scalpers liked this move. Bought 1000 tickets overnight apparently.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Interesting info. Evil, shitty info. but glad to know it.

Makes sense. A whole bunch of people that will try a game and see if it's worth their while. I'm glad few of them will be near me. IF they feel the need to disparage the team unnecessarily. Which is most times the case.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope we keep Gilberto. His work rate is one of the best I've seen from this team since it's inception and he is mentally a soccer player. A lot of MLS players still lack that mental aspect of the game, but this guy has it ingrained in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Guy can be a Borneo bushman for all I frigging care, as long as he can create goals.
    Probably the same height as Giovinco...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post
    I really hope we keep Gilberto. His work rate is one of the best I've seen from this team since it's inception and he is mentally a soccer player. A lot of MLS players still lack that mental aspect of the game, but this guy has it ingrained in him.
    That mental quote is very, very accurate. The guy grew up watching and playing football and nothing else, no baseball, American football, basketball etc. He knows the ins and outs of the game very well, and with this sudden talent spike we have found on our roster I believe he will truly be able to shine. If he leaves now because of some stupid MLS DP rule I will feel genuinely sorry for wasting a year of his young career when he could have been proving himself in a lower league somewhere in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. He took the piss in preseason and then tried to make up for it later on in the season. That's unacceptable for a million dollar DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Meh. He took the piss in preseason and then tried to make up for it later on in the season. That's unacceptable for a million dollar DP.
    Does anyone know if Gio will earn 3.5 million or 7 million? Imagine if he came for 19 games got 7 million the went back lol!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was injured preseason
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    he was injured preseason
    Based on Greg's response in the Jozy presser, he didn't take of himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on Greg's response in the Jozy presser, he didn't take of himself.
    Think he said Gilberto arrived out of shape, thinking the league would be a Sunday walk in the park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Think he said Gilberto arrived out of shape, thinking the league would be a Sunday walk in the park.
    Yep. My outlook changed completely after hearing that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had a hip flexor either before he got here or right after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Does anyone know if Gio will earn 3.5 million or 7 million? Imagine if he came for 19 games got 7 million the went back lol!
    According to Larson it's halved this season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Particularly annoying since this will probably affect my options for relocation, which has not yet happened this year...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Particularly annoying since this will probably affect my options for relocation, which has not yet happened this year...
    Aren't they mostly selling the new seats to newcomers, which are comparatively more expensive anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after Perquis, do we sign yet another CB? I think that's not likely the case. I wonder if another offensive player is in mind or if they'll get another CDM. My preference is to pick up another CDM to help/free Bradley and give him the ability to move up when desired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Pretty much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone asked John Molinaro of Sportnet on twitter about Perquis and John's response was that hes all but signed hes told.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The Dutch model - Now lunchpail football.

oops isn't it called soccer?

So petty.

The Dutch approach to football far exceeds the British system as far as development and overall tactical knowledge.

Was winter the guy? No!, probably not. But this team had zero quality to show in those years.

If you're British, sorry!. But besides the foreign heavy (players/coaches) Premier League(money) The whole approach to the game is not the model to follow.

The international record shows that.

Only thing I give the British system is the overall fitness of the players. Style of play and tactical knowledge of the game is weak.

And there's nothing petty about what I said its the truth. I been following TFC since inception and well aware of how the club has been run since that time.

I have watched people chase skilled footballers out of town, to champion hacks and water carriers because they came their favourite hometown team.

Does it matter where a player comes from?............No!!

But when you keep bringing the same type of player/coach to fit some rudimentry outlook to the game and appease one segment of the Toronto footballing community, then thats where the problem is.

While Talented footballers like Urruti, Silva, and Laba some how find their way out so we can play with track stars and water carriers with a whole lot of "Pace and power" but no IQ and awareness to show.
    Last edited by DoubleUp; 01-19-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    The Dutch approach to football far exceeds the British system as far as development and overall tactical knowledge.

Was winter the guy? No!, probably not. But this team had zero quality to show in those years.

If you're British, sorry!. But besides the foreign heavy (players/coaches) Premier League(money) The whole approach to the game is not the model to follow.

The international record shows that.

Only thing I give the British system is the overall fitness of the players. Style of play and tactical knowledge of the game is weak.

And there's nothing petty about what I said its the truth. I been following TFC since inception and well aware of how the club has been run since that time.

I have watched people chase skilled footballers out of town, to champion hacks and water carriers because they came their favourite hometown team.

Does it matter where a player comes from?............No!!

But when you keep bringing the same type of player/coach to fit some rudimentry outlook to the game and appease one segment of the Toronto footballing community, then thats where the problem is.

While Talented footballers like Urruti, Silva, and Laba some how find their way out so we can play with track stars and water carriers with a whole lot of "Pace and power" but no IQ and awareness to show.
    Maybe that's QPR but I see great things from Swansea, Southampton and even West Ham... and that's not even mentioning the big budget teams like Chelsea.

I also think you're over valuing Urruti and Silva. We got a like for like with Gilberto (still disappointing) and I'd rather take Osorio than Silva given where our ambitions lay. Yes, getting rid of him when we did was a mistake, but Payne got fired in part for that. I'll give you Laba, but he was swapped out for Bradley, hardly a one dimensional water carrier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Maybe that's QPR but I see great things from Swansea, Southampton and even West Ham... and that's not even mentioning the big budget teams like Chelsea.

I also think you're over valuing Urruti and Silva. We got a like for like with Gilberto (still disappointing) and I'd rather take Osorio than Silva given where our ambitions lay. Yes, getting rid of him when we did was a mistake, but Payne got fired in part for that. I'll give you Laba, but he was swapped out for Bradley, hardly a one dimensional water carrier.
    Once again top flight has foreign investment you want to judge british football check the record of the national program in major competition.

Anyways the pravailing approach to the game and players around here has been a failure. I dont no who's fault it is but our football is crap and has been crap........because we chase technical players out of town and Reward water carriers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this attacking umph we are adding won't mean that much if our defence barely improves from last season.

If we only get 1 more CD, we are going to be relying upon the drafted kids + Hagglund at some point this season. That's not good enough.
    I'd rather see us get the one signing everybody is talking about and either an MLS CD with some experience or an MLS DM who wants to be just a DM.

It seemed to me that last season we went into the season really relying upon Henry and Orr to work with Caldwell. That didn't work so well.

This season, we seem to be relying upon the probable new guy and Hagglund. That's still not good enough, especially if Caldwell gets injured again or slows down even more.

If we don't fix our defence, all this offensive firepower means nothing.

And don't get me started on how nobody but Bradley knows how to play central defensive midfield on this team - all the rest of the midfielders want to run forward like DeRo in his prime. Warner, Creavalle (I suspect Delgado too) - all of them prefer bombing forward. Osorio doesnt track back consistently enough and Bekker ball watches expecting the CD's to do the work.

I love what has happened so far. And the draft gives us potential for a few years from now.

But we are a LOOOONG way away from being a solid defensive team.

The goal this year is playoffs - this team, even with the expected changes, isn't good enough to get far in the playoffs - our defence just isn't that good.
    This is so accurate surprised it hasn't been beaten to death . And oh ya if Jackson or Oruro are even thought of ALL the offense forwards will be so pissed at horrible crosses and last minute desperation passes, or simply shots into the lake . But at the moment the 'D' actually looks weaker than last year . Don't want to jinx , but I think our polish CB , or someone else is a certainly.......esp with the way things have magically evolved lately .......and I miss Henry .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    True, but it's going to be way more fun watching TFC lose games 8-7, 6-4, 7-6 than it will be 1-0, 2-1, etc. The confetti cannons might have to be reinforced though.
    Funny.......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Perquis has his contract terminated with Betis http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actua...e-betis/529414

I don't know about this one, him and Caldwell have disaster written all over it imo
    Even funnier.....