Page 1 of 134 123451151101 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2014-15 Off-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

Now that the season has ended, now is the time to start a new thread.

Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings get a separate single thread in the "News" section. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik
    Konopka

Bloom -- Caldwell -- ??? -- Morrow
    Richter Hagglund Henry Morgan

Bradley -- ???
    Bekker Warner

??? --- ??? --- Osorio
    Jackson ??? Lovitz

Gilberto
    Moore

Needs:
    Starting CB - eg: Kendall Waston, Matt Hedges
    Starting AM (DP?) - Higuain, Pedro Morales, Piatti, Valeri etc
    Starting Winger - Nagbe type
    Starting DM - Laba clone
    Bench CM - utility player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clint Dempsey looking for a Jan loan move to PL according to Daily Mirror. How ironic would it be if ends up at the same club as Defoe

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And so it begins.....with the Jays offseason plans and the TFC one, it actually will be quite interesting to see what is going to happen
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now that Chivas USA is officially no more, what players on their roster might TFC be interested in picking up in the upcoming dispersal draft?

By the sounds of it, Torres won't be a part of the dispersal draft. If he stays in MLS, it will likely be as a DP.

What other players could be useful pickups?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    So now that Chivas USA is officially no more, what players on their roster might TFC be interested in picking up in the upcoming dispersal draft?

By the sounds of it, Torres won't be a part of the dispersal draft. If he stays in MLS, it will likely be as a DP.

So what happens to their 1st round pick that we own?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No change.

We have it.

Couple of interesting young players that could be decent depth for us. Matt Dunn, Zavelta, Baptiste and Thomas McNamara was doing well and getting good reviews before getting injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No change.

We have it.

Couple of interesting young players that could be decent depth for us. Matt Dunn, Zavelta, Baptiste and Thomas McNamara was doing well and getting good reviews before getting injured.
    After looking at their roster, Jean-Baptiste and Zavaleta are two young players I noticed.
    Is Zavaleta still property of Seattle though? I believe he originally went to Chivas on loan.

Also, any chance Vanney still has familiarity with any of the younger players from his days at Chivas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right, he is on loan.

I'd Vanney would have some familiarity with some of the players on the roster and still have contacts at their academy so should be able to get the low down on the HGs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro@JohnMolinaro 2m2 minutes ago
    Note from #TFC: Bradley in New York for surgery to correct nerve issue with his foot. Defoe in England to seek treatment on injured groin..........

and hang out at Tesco's taking selfie's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Note from #TFC: Bradley in New York for surgery to correct nerve issue with his foot. Defoe in England to seek treatment on injured groin..........

Perfect, lol
    I like going to Tesco when I am in the U.K. You can always pick up some beer and ciders and few bags of Cheese and Onion Crisps for me and the wife to make the Groin Treatment a bit nicer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default .::3 New Starters & 1 or 2 Bench Improvements

4-2-3-1

---------------------Bendik*-------------------

-Bloom*----Caldwell*---NewCB----Morrow-

-------Bradley------------------Laba2---------

-----Moore---------NewAM--------Osorio-----

--------------------Gilberto---------------------

'Keepers: Bendik (I actually typed out "Bender"; tifo idea, maybe) is good enough, in this league. His shortcomings can be very frustrating, but, with better organization in front of him, I feel like he can continue to improve (which I believe he has done, already, if only slightly).

Defenders: Bloom, like Bendik, has his shortcomings, to be sure.. but, he's serviceable in an improved back four. Caldwell I wouldn't mind replacing, mid-season, after he's had a chance to bring consistency to our back four, at the start of 2015, whilst grooming the new, stud CB to be his replacement. In a worst case scenario, he stays on for the season, but is sometimes replaced with the likes of Hagglund or Henry, if he's here.

Defensive-minded mids: Bradley, despite what some believe, isn't, for me, a pure DM, in that he's not necessarily got a penchant for tackling, which is pretty key for an absolute, stay-at-home DM. Box-to-box is a role that suits him best, imo -- his read of the game is too useful, going forward. The problem is that such a role DOES often lead to him feeling like he's got to do it all; with enough quality around him, however, and in key positions, he won't as often be stuck playing deep, picking up the ball, or be frequently caught up field, as we brace for an opposition counter. He will be able to pick his moments, more, and, just as well, with better quality around him, comes better movement to better exploit his passing/vision. The aforementioned key positions are in bold, above: CB & DM (so he's not overly concerned about getting caught) and an AM (so he's not the go-to guy to create).

Attack-minded mids: Both Moore and Oso have shown they can come central and link play, but not enough to be the main creative source.. hence the need for a bona fide AM, with the other two in support swapping places with him, on occasion, to keep our opposition guessing. With the likes of Jackson, Lovitz, Oduro and possibly DeRo, we have enough options to keep things fresh and ask different questions, with our starting line-up, or with a game-changing sub.

Forward(s): Gilberto is class; irks me how he sometimes gets ragged on.. but, that's pro sports, I suppose. For me, he is the inverse of Bradley: feels he has to do it all, if mostly concerning himself with the attack. Again, with some quality around him, and, thus, better movement, space would more often open up for him to exploit. For me, the front four are interchangeable (Moore, Oso, Jackson and Oduro have pitched in on goals, don't forget); don't agree with the view of lining Gilberto up primarily as an AM, but I understand why there are some calling for this. I think we need a better forward option coming off the bench, if we're to be taken serious; not quite a stud, as it would be difficult to keep the two happy, whilst also being a waste of cap space.

I think it was notthesun that said it best: we have to look at the overall team, when a player is not doing well (especially when said player is already a proven commodity in MLS). Blowing up the roster has got to stop, and what I've proposed gets the most out of what we already have. How we line up could make a world of difference, as well; a shift away from 4-4-2, and some time for the players to settle into it, will play to our strengths more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post

Imagine if Avila somehow ends up back at TFC lol - though seriously, I wouldn't mind having him back. There's a need for a more technical winger.

And I know a lot of people had been calling for Marvin Chavez before, now he's available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    4-2-3-1

'Keepers: Bendik (I actually typed out "Bender"; tifo idea, maybe) is good enough, in this league. His shortcomings can be very frustrating, but, with better organization in front of him, I feel like he can continue to improve (which I believe he has done, already, if only slightly).

Defenders: Bloom, like Bendik, has his shortcomings, to be sure.. but, he's serviceable in an improved back four. Caldwell I wouldn't mind replacing, mid-season, after he's had a chance to bring consistency to our back four, at the start of 2015, whilst grooming the new, stud CB to be his replacement. In a worst case scenario, he stays on for the season, but is sometimes replaced with the likes of Hagglund or Henry, if he's here.

Defensive-minded mids: Bradley, despite what some believe, isn't, for me, a pure DM, in that he's not necessarily got a penchant for tackling, which is pretty key for an absolute, stay-at-home DM. Box-to-box is a role that suits him best, imo -- his read of the game is too useful, going forward. The problem is that such a role DOES often lead to him feeling like he's got to do it all; with enough quality around him, however, and in key positions, he won't as often be stuck playing deep, picking up the ball, or be frequently caught up field, as we brace for an opposition counter. He will be able to pick his moments, more, and, just as well, with better quality around him, comes better movement to better exploit his passing/vision. The aforementioned key positions are in bold, above: CB & DM (so he's not overly concerned about getting caught) and an AM (so he's not the go-to guy to create).

Attack-minded mids: Both Moore and Oso have shown they can come central and link play, but not enough to be the main creative source.. hence the need for a bona fide AM, with the other two in support swapping places with him, on occasion, to keep our opposition guessing. With the likes of Jackson, Lovitz, Oduro and possibly DeRo, we have enough options to keep things fresh and ask different questions, with our starting line-up, or with a game-changing sub.

Forward(s): Gilberto is class; irks me how he sometimes gets ragged on.. but, that's pro sports, I suppose. For me, he is the inverse of Bradley: feels he has to do it all, if mostly concerning himself with the attack. Again, with some quality around him, and, thus, better movement, space would more often open up for him to exploit. For me, the front four are interchangeable (Moore, Oso, Jackson and Oduro have pitched in on goals, don't forget); don't agree with the view of lining Gilberto up primarily as an AM, but I understand why there are some calling for this. I think we need a better forward option coming off the bench, if we're to be taken serious; not quite a stud, as it would be difficult to keep the two happy, whilst also being a waste of cap space.

I think it was notthesun that said it best: we have to look at the overall team, when a player is not doing well (especially when said player is already a proven commodity in MLS). Blowing up the roster has got to stop, and what I've proposed gets the most out of what we already have. How we line up could make a world of difference, as well; a shift away from 4-4-2, and some time for the players to settle into it, will play to our strengths more.
    This is spot on in my view and what I would like TFC to play (happens to be the formation I use in Fifa). However, I am not sure I see Moore as the starting RW/RF, serviceable as depth, but I think we need someone with greater technical ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slot in Oduro or Jackson for Moore and that looks good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    This is spot on in my view and what I would like TFC to play (happens to be the formation I use in Fifa). However, I am not sure I see Moore as the starting RW/RF, serviceable as depth, but I think we need someone with greater technical ability.
    Slot in Oduro or Jackson for Moore and that looks good.
    That's the thing with that formation, isn't it -- the front four are mostly all interchangeable; I've got Moore in there for his ability to hold the ball up and link play, which he has done to great affect, at times (I think he was key to whomever was the main striker, hence why he, more often than not, got the nod).. however, I can see any of those you mentioned slotting in, as well.

Because I, personally, see Moore starting a fair bit, I feel like we need a better option at striker to come off the bench; Moore CAN, do this, but I think it's risky to rely on him as the main back-up for a lone-striker in a 4-2-3-1.

Other than that, if Henry leaves, I think it's essential we get another decent CB depth option (bonus if he's capable of playing at RB, in a pinch).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be surprised if Moore heads back to England. Esp if that report that Burnley were after him was true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right, he is on loan.

I'd Vanney would have some familiarity with some of the players on the roster and still have contacts at their academy so should be able to get the low down on the HGs
    LOL, I imagine he knows Eric Zavaleta fairly well; he's Vanney's nephew. Also Seattle property on loan.

Thomas McNamara looked like the steal of the draft until his knee injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine if Avila somehow ends up back at TFC lol - though seriously, I wouldn't mind having him back. There's a need for a more technical winger.

And I know a lot of people had been calling for Marvin Chavez before, now he's available.
    Avila's going to Mexico next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Issey wants to come back.
    (If they fire Bezbatchenko it would be more likely).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRo Fan #1 View Post
    I wonder if Issey wants to come back.
    (If they fire Bezbatchenko it would be more likely).
    I highly doubt that. Bez was probably the one who brought Issey here to begin with. Nelsen probably didn't like what he brought to the game and moved him out for a player he liked more. He did the same thing with Urruti after Payne spent months to bring him in. So if Bez doesn't bring him back, then it's even less likely that a new manager does. While we the fans may like certain players and want them back, new managers typically don't look at those same players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    4-2-3-1

Other then Bloom this is exactly what I would love to see. Throw in Cubo Torres as well... Torres-Gilberto would be a truly fantastic duo up top... Just by anaylizing the way Cubo plays, I see those two having instant amazing chemistry. He would fit in so well with age of our core... This needs to happen. #dreamoffseason

---------------------Bendik*---------------------

-Creavalle*----Caldwell*---NewCB----Morrow-

-------------------- -Laba2 ----------------------

Bradley -------------------------------- Jackson-

------------------- NewAM ----------------------

---------------- Torres - Gilberto -----------------
    Last edited by Defoe; 10-28-2014 at 04:47 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley ain't no side midfielder. Fits better as the central part of a 4-1-3-2 or in that 4-2-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley ain't no side midfielder. Fits better as the central part of a 4-1-3-2 or in that 4-2-3-1
    Bradley to CDM and get a Shea2 instead of Laba2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe interviewed in The Guardian today...
    Seems to me that shoving Tim L. out quickly (his Ryerson comments still rankle), followed by a new leader who is willing to send a very nice Xmas present (and consult with Team Defoe/Team Bradley about who replaces Bez/Vanney) and a two month loan to QPR will result in a TFC Defoe for 2015.

Some say he is gone. I say his goal scoring talent is hard to replace, his learning curve for MLS will be behind him and TFC fans love a redemption story. Bring on the Bigger, Bloodier Deal !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chavez would be alright. Avila as depth, but no more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading that Guardian article, the whole "I don't really know what will happen" thing strikes me as pure bullshit. Defoe had plenty of opportunities to make his preferences known if he didn't want to get traded. That would have gone a long way to prevent the hard feelings he's so shocked by right now.

I tend to feel his currency is not as valuable as he thinks. There is a good chance he doesn't get an offer he feels worth taking. We'll see what happens then.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 10-28-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    Defoe interviewed in The Guardian today...
    Seems to me that shoving Tim L. out quickly (his Ryerson comments still rankle), followed by a new leader who is willing to send a very nice Xmas present (and consult with Team Defoe/Team Bradley about who replaces Bez/Vanney) and a two month loan to QPR will result in a TFC Defoe for 2015.

Some say he is gone. I say his goal scoring talent is hard to replace, his learning curve for MLS will be behind him and TFC fans love a redemption story. Bring on the Bigger, Bloodier Deal !!!
    if only henry/keane/becks can sit down and have a chit chat about what MLS is all about, but then again I dont want a tempramental DP that will just pick up and leave. Just sitting in the stands while injured is sometimes as important as playing well on the field. Defoe is like the hot GF thats a little loose in head, you want her to stay so bad, but shes terrible for your ego and anxiety cuz there always the chances she'll turn on you and leave for another guy. Loyalty (past 6 months) is worth alot
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 10-28-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    if only henry/keane/becks can sit down and have a chit chat about what MLS is all about, but then again I dont want a tempramental DP that will just pick up and leave. Just sitting in the stands while injured is sometimes as important as playing well on the field. Defoe is like the hot GF thats a little loose in head, you want her to stay so bad, but shes terrible for your ego and anxiety cuz there always the chances she'll turn on you and leave for another guy. Loyalty (past 6 months) is worth alot
    OK I know I have been very negative on Defoe, only because of the shit show that has happened in the second half of the season. If Defoe is committed and plays for pride, I am okay with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There must be a serious lack of Doctors in Canada these days........lol