Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 3992
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://the11.ca/2014/12/19/atiba-hut...n-to-mls-move/

he may just be being polite, but Hutch says he's open to move to MLS
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I'm sorry, but you don't do a 90 minute, academic/conference style discussion of things like the protective coating around nerve fibres in the central nervous system to a bunch of (as jloome correctly points out) cynical and stupid sports reporters. Ever.
    And the only media person in the room with any knowledge to comment on that sort of thing was DeVos and his article was probably the best of the bunch yesterday

http://www.tsn.ca/future-plans-for-t...ccess-1.163159

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hutch + Bradley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shea signs for orlando but not as a dp
    what was stopping us last year then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    shea signs for orlando but not as a dp
    what was stopping us last year then?
    They are paying down his salary with their mountain of allocation.

Also that the Orlando and Stoke have strong links given who their president and coaches are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry, but you don't do a 90 minute, academic/conference style discussion of things like the protective coating around nerve fibres in the central nervous system to a bunch of (as jloome correctly points out) cynical and stupid sports reporters. Ever.
    Oh, I'll agree with that. TFC has never had solid media advice, as far as I can tell.

This is the kind of thing you do one-on-one with a reporter you know also follows the team. I'd have given Armen an exclusive on that stuff; he's knowledgeable enough to turn it into fascinating sidebars and not rely on it for his day-to-day.

But day-to-day deadline sports guys just want the next day's headline. If you don't give them a decent one, they'll make one up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ur old fashioned.
    Thanks Og I'll go and get my walker and buy some laxatives now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah at the very least it seemed a bit town deaf. But it also struck me how low-brow sports can be at times with people shunning intellectual arguments in favor of gossip rag material.

i find it ironic that a guy like Kelly, who readily grandstands, as if writing from his thesaurus, falls back on really basic themes. Sports coverage in this town has zero depth, for every team not called the leafs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they should have targeted it to Off the Record with Michael Landsberg. Would have been perfect for that show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arry saying Defoe is too expensive now...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ain-Defoe.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah at the very least it seemed a bit town deaf. But it also struck me how low-brow sports can be at times with people shunning intellectual arguments in favor of gossip rag material.

i find it ironic that a guy like Kelly, who readily grandstands, as if writing from his thesaurus, falls back on really basic themes. Sports coverage in this town has zero depth, for every team not called the leafs.
    There are three types of sports guys, generally:
    * Daily beat guys. These guys are NEWS reporters, first and foremost, who just happen to cover the thing they love, sports (buy not necessarily THE sport they love). So they're tasked with the same job of finding a new scandal daily to write the most salacious, sellable headline; and yet their employers harness their passion for the game to get better prose, which also unfortunately biases the reporting.

* The columnists. These have multiple subcategories but suffice is to say that after a few years, they're generally privileged, whine incessantly about travel issues, get paid salaries most in the biz would dream of, and haven't done any real reporting that wasn't basically handed to them by a drinking buddy or beat reporter since Glenn Sather was a rookie coach.

* The involved. These are people who started as pro players or heavy-duty fans and then harnessed that desire to cover something they love. They couldn't develop an investigative piece or a clever sidebar if their life depended on (because they've never been a NEWS person, so they've never had the insane, soul-crushing pressure of winning daily), but they'll cover everything the team gives them, be critically fair and balanced, and generally not piss off fans, who don't give a shit about selling newspapers.

If we could combine these three people, we'd have ... well, the odd good reporter. They exist but typically, after fifteen or twenty years of putting up with an industry that is completely mediocre in every way, they take a buyout in frustration and find something else to do; so the species is dying out, generally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Arry saying Defoe is too expensive now...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ain-Defoe.html
    I said it before. I don't see the market for Defoe in the EPL. I don't think we'll have any takers on his salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jloome.. 100% on point. Thank you for that wonderful piece there. That read, ladies and gentlemen, gives you more relevant information on what transpired yesterday than what Kelly's article had.

btw.. I thought I was the only Edmontonian TFCer on these forums. Nice to have some company!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    jloome.. 100% on point. Thank you for that wonderful piece there. That read, ladies and gentlemen, gives you more relevant information on what transpired yesterday than what Kelly's article had.

btw.. I thought I was the only Edmontonian TFCer on these forums. Nice to have some company!
    Cheers. I'm a Beaumontian these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it before. I don't see the market for Defoe in the EPL. I don't think we'll have any takers on his salary.
    If he is going to leave I could see a scenario where a QPR/Leicester/Palace pay maybe $2m to take him on loan for six months and if they stay up a clause kicks in to make a deal permanent.

He'll end up in England but it'll be done at the end of Jan and won't necessarily be an outright transfer - that's my prediction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    If he is going to leave I could see a scenario where a QPR/Leicester/Palace pay maybe $2m to take him on loan for six months and if they stay up a clause kicks in to make a deal permanent.

He'll end up in England but it'll be done at the end of Jan and won't necessarily be an outright transfer - that's my prediction
    Will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out. He's on 90,000 pounds a week. I just can't see anyone near the drop zone willing/able to spend that kind of money. I think if he does go it might be a team higher up the table. Maybe even City with their striker problems right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we all hope the ground is frozen solid morning of the 25th and we get a few torn striker ligaments for Christmas. To be followed by inflated prices in the transfer window of course

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me this is the same sort of thing as a discussion about our training facilities. Jeremy Hall running around our world class facilities means nothing to me.

In a few weeks, nobody will care what the stupid reporters thought. Agents, players....moms (well apart from Defoe's Mom).....might be another story.

Its information. It got out there. That Kelly got bored.....meh.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-19-2014 at 05:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Villa TFC View Post
    Thanks Og I'll go and get my walker and buy some laxatives now.
    I'm so old I played in a 2-3-5 formation before we knew what the word formation meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm so old I played in a 2-3-5 formation before we knew what the word formation meant.
    Ah, English schoolboy football in the 70s...the eighteen-pound wet leather ball, the studs that could crack bone....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Ah, English schoolboy football in the 70s...the eighteen-pound wet leather ball, the studs that could crack bone....
    while chainsmoking filterless cigarettes on the side line

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

inbetween shifts at the mine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    inbetween shifts at the mine
    Luxury! We didn't get shifts, they just worked us til we could stand no longer, let us sleep for twenty minutes, then it was back down the hole!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Luxury! We didn't get shifts, they just worked us til we could stand no longer, let us sleep for twenty minutes, then it was back down the hole!
    We used to have to walk 4 miles to work and 10 miles back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luxury! Me dad would wake us up before we went to bed.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Cooorr, your father talked to you?!? Bloody luxury. Our would let us know when it was bedtime by striking us three times over the head with a cast-iron skillet. Twenty minutes later, he'd light our toes on fire to let us know it was time to get back down the hole.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    You had a bed? You were lucky....there was 40 of us huddled together in a cardboard box.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    You had a bed? You were lucky....there was 40 of us huddled together in a cardboard box.
    You had a cardboard box? We lived in a shoebox... AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok. back on topic
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh yeaaass.

Just beginning the day with a fresh coffee and going to the RPB forum to catch up on transfer speculation....well that escalated quickly.