Page 49 of 134 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

latest from the Pravda. interesting that TFC already held a mini combine
    How does this 'build from the draft' strategy fits with Bardleys assessment, that the team needs more mature individuals?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    How does this 'build from the draft' strategy fits with Bardleys assessment, that the team needs more mature individuals?
    Again, confusing messaging. He should have referenced the need for more veterans as well; better yet, don't even put the video out. Just wait until we're closer to the draft or have something on the go. If reporters are dying for something to write about, give them access to players we know are returning for a little assessment of the upcoming year, or kids going off to NCAA from the academy. Anything but a "vision" statement at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There seems to be a specific push to change the narrative from "the bloody big deal" to the "building towards greatness".

I would put the "we need more men" line more in the realm of Bradley bluntly stating he didn't want chickens running around with their heads cut off or cry babies:

a reference I believe to Orr, Defoe, Jackson, Oduro and Moore and aimed at putting a bit of a firecracker under Haglund, Osorio and Bekker. There have been reports already of some people last season not buying into Bradley's work ethic expectations of his teammates.

On another note:
    Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 55m55 minutes ago TFC expects to sign 10-16 players directly to USL contracts for TFC II ... 4-6 senior players will see time ... Another 4-6 from academy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And another note:

Bez has admitted the transfer is happening so not quite what we have seen before but could somebody at least have tweeted something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And another note:

Bez has admitted the transfer is happening so not quite what we have seen before but could somebody at least have tweeted something?
    No announcement yet at least from my hungover twitter searching today but bez did confirm that they get a portion of the sale.

Which brings the question up: did we get allocation last year and then again this year? I wonder if we found a loophole to get more allocation $$

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    No announcement yet at least from my hungover twitter searching today but bez did confirm that they get a portion of the sale.

Which brings the question up: did we get allocation last year and then again this year? I wonder if we found a loophole to get more allocation $$
    in Henry's case, TFC can get up to 650k in allocation total if I read MLS rules correctly. but the rules can change anytime :P
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-01-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article never stated we would receive more allocation, only more money from a sell on clause because of the transfer.

Rules say;

A club may receive allocation money for:
    The transfer of a player to a club outside of MLS for value
    Can TFC cash in on more allocation for additional transfers of the player because of a sell on clause? Who knows. Cant find the full rulebook anywhere.
    Last edited by Richard; 01-01-2015 at 03:08 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The article never stated we would receive more allocation, only more money from a sell on clause because of the transfer.

Rules say;

Can TFC cash in on more allocation for additional transfers of the player because of a sell on clause? Who knows. Cant find the full rulebook anywhere.
    http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2012...n-money-chase/
    en percent of a transfer fee goes to the player, MLS Players Union President Bob Foose told the Philly Soccer Page. Two-thirds of what remains goes to the club as allocation money, to a maximum of $650,000. The rest goes to the league.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/02/kevin-ellis-signs-home-grown-player
    There is no minimum age for a Home Grown Player, but the players cannot be older than 24. These players are also automatically protected in any necessary expansion drafts, and with expanded rosters this season, players occupying roster spots 21-30 will not count against the club’s salary budget. In the event a Home Grown Player is transferred, clubs keep 75% of any transfer or loan fee paid for the player.
    I think MLS treats future add on transfer fees of a player like a transfer fee received in installments of initial transfer fee

so by my read, in case of Henry and all HG players, player gets 10% of all transfer fees, and TFC gets 75% of what remains after the player cut and MLS gets the rest (or 25%). however, max amount of allocation money TFC gets in total out of all transfer fees relating to Henry is 650k. TFC has whatever is left outside 650k allocation money to spend on club infrastructure and so forth (IE grass from Mo Edu transfer)
    Last edited by Yohan; 01-01-2015 at 03:32 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Stevie G to TFC rumours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    No Stevie G to TFC rumours?
    Liverpool players have him going to LA, can't see him going anywhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Liverpool players have him going to LA, can't see him going anywhere else.
    Yeah. Still thought someone would make something up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And another note:

Why? The Cyprus team owns him. It's a transfer between them and West Ham.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Contractual clause when he was sold to Cyprus. TFC is owed a predetermined percentage is there is a future sale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Contractual clause when he was sold to Cyprus. TFC is owed a predetermined percentage is there is a future sale.
    But that has no bearing on who currently owns the player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Cause, oh I don't know, he's a TFC academy kid, he just played for us a few months ago, or maybe Its just a good news story for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

West Ham haven't officially announced it yet either and won't until the 3rd as that's when the English window opens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    West Ham haven't officially announced it yet either and won't until the 3rd as that's when the English window opens.
    Spurs already announced Yedlin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Spurs already announced Yedlin.
    He was already their property - he signed with them in August. They could have let their intentions be known at any time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cause, oh I don't know, he's a TFC academy kid, he just played for us a few months ago, or maybe Its just a good news story for TFC.
    Sure but they've already wished him the best playing overseas. I just feel it's not that important to announce moves they aren't complete tied to. I have more of an issue of them not announcing the Cyprus move than this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we don't know the "portion" Bez says we're getting from Henry's move, we don't know whether to care or not.

This is a turning point for me. I can watch La Liga in HD for $15/month and not be subjected to these insults.

Bez treated us like idiots in the Laba thing, and he is doing it here. We should know this "portion". Or receive a much better explanation of why he cannot tell us. He should do all this without asking. Instead of the utterly empty pablum he's been spewing in those PR puff pieces TFC have been putting out.

Player moves are properly disclosed in serious sports because they take their fans seriously. It's the "traded for allocation" thing all over again. I am sick of it, it's affecting me interest in TFC and in the league. It is a lack of respect. As good fans our part in this is not being acknowledged.

MLS need to look at this, right now. The supposed benefit they get from this in player negotiations is being exagerrated, it always has been. The ability to secretly "help" teams via mysterious extra allocation is past its best by date, given the increases in DPs.

Not disclosing allocation, transfers, or the cost of player moves, is totally mickey mouse and is stifling the game. Instead of helping the league get talent more cheaply, it is simply allowing the self-protective secrecy of insecure execs in this league to kill fan interest that would otherwise be there.

You want to be a real league? Time to start acting like one.

In the absence of anything else to go on, I have to assume that the "portion" is embarrassing, ie laughably small, and that Bez bungled this whole thing.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-02-2015 at 08:37 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Since we don't know the "portion" Bez says we're getting from Henry's move, we don't know whether to care or not.

This is a turning point for me. I can watch La Liga in HD for $15/month and not be subjected to these insults.

Bez treated us like idiots in the Laba thing, and he is doing it here. We should know this "portion". Or receive a much better explanation of why he cannot tell us. He should do all this without asking. Instead of the utterly empty pablum he's been spewing in those PR puff pieces TFC have been putting out.

Player moves are properly disclosed in serious sports because they take their fans seriously. It's the "traded for allocation" thing all over again. I am sick of it, it's affecting me interest in TFC and in the league. It is a lack of respect. As good fans our part in this is not being acknowledged.

MLS need to look at this, right now. The supposed benefit they get from this in player negotiations is being exagerrated, it always has been. The ability to secretly "help" teams via mysterious extra allocation is past its best by date, given the increases in DPs.

Not disclosing allocation, transfers, or the cost of player moves, is totally mickey mouse and is stifling the game. Instead of helping the league get talent more cheaply, it is simply allowing the self-protective secrecy of insecure execs in this league to kill fan interest that would otherwise be there.

You want to be a real league? Time to start acting like one.

In the absence of anything else to go on, I have to assume that the "portion" is embarrassing, ie laughably small, and that Bez bungled this whole thing.
    I agree with this. Its incredibily frustrating to have the MLS looked at as some kind of capped / evenly footed leauge and really have a hidden monitary system that can ultimatly be the balance of power shifter and the fans have no idea of that mechanism or how it works.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but lets not forget how big European teams love to trot out "undisclosed fee" when it comes to transfers.

Player moves are properly disclosed in serious sports because they take their fans seriously

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...indow-deadline

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ good point. I do like that when you get face to face with Bez he typically clears up a fair bit when asked directly. Its just you can't put it on the internet. The issue is with the MLS, they love this grey area and as supporters we are going to hate it. Its an inmesurable we can't rate on and it needs a lot of trust, something this franchise has lost the ability to maintain.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but lets not forget how big European teams love to trot out "undisclosed fee" when it comes to transfers.

I will gladly accept a big Euro league level of deception about these things.

Because of the media coverage over there, and the interests of agents and teams, most every fee leaks anyway.

The argument about whether Man Utd paid GBP24M or 28M for Fellaini bears no resemblance to the Laba or Henry fairy tales, in the degree of magnitude or the impact on the future competitive situation of either Man Utd or Everton. Whereas we, a perennial losing team, have literally no idea whatsoever what we got for our two best young assets this year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    ^^^ good point. I do like that when you get face to face with Bez he typically clears up a fair bit when asked directly. Its just you can't put it on the internet. The issue is with the MLS, they love this grey area and as supporters we are going to hate it. Its an inmesurable we can't rate on and it needs a lot of trust, something this franchise has lost the ability to maintain.
    I do not care about whether Bez is a good guy or not. Reminds me of the Anselmi defence that went on for years.

Respect means putting it on the record, and nothing less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but even then you know a ballpark number. I remember Bale wasn't disclosed but everyone knows it was a world-record fee. The point is that if you really want to know, you can find out. In MLS you will never EVER find out the allocation a team got for player x

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I do not care about whether Bez is a good guy or not. Reminds me of the Anselmi defence that went on for years.

Respect means putting it on the record, and nothing less.
    Totally get that, and I still echo your point and have been raising the issue with the league since at least 2010. Bez is following the rules set by the MLS regarding this type of disclosure. I can only offer my own personal expierience with some of these guys. You are justified in your statement Ensco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just throwing out a name, but Nigel De Jong is available on a pre-contract from Milan. Would be a great 4th DP if the CBA ends up adding one.
    Obviously would prefer Atiba from a Canadian perspective, but Nigel would be the type of feisty guy (see: karate kick to Xabi Alonso's chest) we could use next to Bradley in a 4-2-3-1.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Totally get that, and I still echo your point and have been raising the issue with the league since at least 2010. Bez is following the rules set by the MLS regarding this type of disclosure. I can only offer my own personal expierience with some of these guys. You are justified in your statement Ensco
    This is BS (not by you, by Bez).

Every team seemingly follows whatever the hell practice they feel like on allocation/transfer disclosure - I can find 20 links where other teams disclose more. He says it's the league, but that cannot be true. Is it the league for TFC only?

We don't know what the rules are, Bez gets to interpret this any way he feels like. The league is allowing GMs to protect their asses in the name of "upholding a policy" that is not a policy whatsoever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In relation to Ensco's previous point, I did a little bit of digging to try and get an idea of what we may have received/what info is out there to hazard a guess.

LABA
    TFC paid $1.5m to Argentinos Juniors to acquire him initially - http://www.wakingthered.com/2013/4/9...ion-argentinos
    It’s been reported that TFC would get a portion of the original fee as a payment from the Caps for Laba –
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/tf...ver-whitecaps/
    So what size portion we don’t know but it will be % of $1.5m

Henry
    Sold to Apollon Limassol at start of 2014 MLS season for around $500k
    Brian Straus ‏@BrianStraus Oct 29
    Hearing Doneil Henry sold to Apollon Limassol of Cyprus at start of MLS season for bit > $500K. Unclear on loan terms. But it's something.

Then sold from Limassol to West Ham and it’s been acknowledged that TFC will receive a portion of this fee. The question here is it a pre-determined % or are the funds coming to TFC strictly from the FIFA regulations around solidarity payments + training compensation for clubs that develop players? Or both?
    FIFA state that 5% of the transfer fee must be set aside to cover the solidarity payments.
    It’s been reported that West Ham are paying 1.5 pounds for Henry - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...Allardyce.html
    5% of the 1.5m pounds = $153,241.93
    As for the training compensation, if we go off the figures here http://www.jetlaw.org/2014/06/20/gue...-on-the-table/
    TFC would receive $50k for every year he was with the club. He signed with the academy in 2008 and was sold to Limassol at the start of 2014. 50k for 2008,09, 10, 11, 12, 13 would equal $300k.
    Brampton Bullets may also be in line for some compensation too.
    So roughly guesstimating from the figures out there TFC would have/will receive $950k for Henry.

The fact that I had to do that shows how ridiculous the whole thing is but you get an idea.
    LABA = A % of $1.5m
    Henry = $950k EST
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 01-02-2015 at 12:08 PM.