Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    so apparently multiple offers on the table for Gilberto OUTSIDE MLS
    sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I think it's pretty much impossible to know since the cap for next season might (probably?) not be decided on yet between the two parties. We also don't know how much DPs will count against the cap next year.
    Player Position Wage Special Considerations % of cap
    Altidore Jozy F 387,500 Designated Player 12.5
    Aparicio Manuel M -------- Home Grown Player (2 years left) 0
    Bekker, Kyle M 77,400 2.49
    Bendik, Joe GK 147,375 4.75
    Bloom, Mark D 48,825 1.57
    Bono, Alex GK -------- Generation Adidas (4 years left) 0
    Bradley, Michael M 387,500 Designated Player 12.5
    Caldwell, Steven D 364,166 11.74
    Chapman, Jay M -------- Home Grown Player (4 years left) 0
    Creavalle, Warren D 100,500 3.24
    Delgado, Marco M 77,500 May have been renegotiated in re-entry draft 2.5
    Dike, Bright F 63,575 2.05
    Findley, Robbie F 245,500 May have been renegotiated in dispersal 7.91
    Gilberto F 387,500 Designated Player 12.5
    Hagglund, Nick D 48,500 1.56
    Hamilton, Jordan F -------- Home Grown Player (3 years left) 0
    Jackson M 202,500 6.53
    Konopka, Chris GK 60,000 none 1.93
    Mannella, Chris M -------- Home Grown Player (3 years left) 0
    Morgan, Ashtone D -------- Home Grown Player (Expires this season) 0
    Lovitz, Daniel M 36,504 1.17
    Morrow, Justin D 169,562 5.46
    Osario, Jonathan M 142,599 4.59
    Qullian, Roberts GK -------- Home Grown Player (1 year left) 0

Player Position Wage Special Considerations % of cap
    Giovinco M 193,750 Midseason DP?
    Total Cap: $3,140,756 Allowed Cap: $3,100,000

made this up real quick, just to get an idea of where we are.
    like ajax said, there's going to be an update to the CBA that'll increase the cap and possibly the DP cap hit. i also know the percentage doesn't add up to 100%, i'm just too lazy to correct the decimals to even everything out, it's only being used as gauge.

the giovinco signing might mean bez knows something that we don't, or someone's gettin axed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know how to fix the formatting so there's not that huge space in between the tables?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow that's great work. thanks for posting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that table taught me that we need to cut ties with Caldwell ASAP 364k smh..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missing

Oduro.$251 667

Moore $128 334

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kurt larson is the source for my previous Gil post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we are right and truly over the Cap.

The Numbers listed is 94%
    add in
    12.5% (or 6.25) for Giovinco
    *8% for Oduro
    *4% for Moore

And that is 112%-119% Percent of the Cap

The Suggests either Gilberto is for sure going out before the season starts and Giovinco isn't coming till July... and no other players are coming in... Or the Cap being raised is a sure thing in the CBA and everyone already knows what the new number is... and it is at least 12-20%

Or we are going to use a truck load of allocation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    So we are right and truly over the Cap.

The Numbers listed is 94%
    add in
    12.5% (or 6.25) for Giovinco
    *8% for Oduro
    *4% for Moore

And that is 112%-119% Percent of the Cap

The Suggests either Gilberto is for sure going out before the season starts and Giovinco isn't coming till July... and no other players are coming in... Or the Cap being raised is a sure thing in the CBA and everyone already knows what the new number is... and it is at least 12-20%

Or we are going to use a truck load of allocation.

combination of all of these things I suspect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aparicio Manuel
    Delgado, Marco
    Hamilton, Jordan
    Konopka, Chris
    Mannella, Chris
    Morgan, Ashtone
    Qullian, Roberts
    Bekker, Kyle
    Edwin Rivas
    Wesley Charpie

all these i can see playing TFC2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto might be gone?

As has widely been suggested, that means Gilberto's TFC future largely hangs in the balance.The Brazilian Designated Player, who impressed TFC supporters with his work rate in 2014, will be the odd man out, the Sun has learned.

Talk of MLS adding a fourth Designated Player spot appears inconsequential as the Reds will look to move Gilberto for the right offer, according to an informed MLS source.

A potential transfer for Gilberto after a season or two with TFC has always been in the cards, with the Brazilian arriving in MLS as a means to get to Europe.

The Toronto Sun can also confirm the Reds already have multiple good offers in for Gilberto from outside MLS.

Source: http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/18...in-mls-history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    As much as I'd hate to have Gilberto leave, I feel as long as that was the plan all along to have him go after a year or two (one that Gilberto wanted) him leaving (not to within MLS) would be alright with me. I was worried that we further build our reputation of shipping people out before they can demonstrate their ability, but this looks not to be the case.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gate7 View Post
    fk.....I wish we had laba still
    Does anyone have the faintest clue what we got for him? $500k Garber Bucks?

It was apparently a high bar, but I think that if a whack of Garber Bucks is what it was, we didn't do terribly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    so we pay a 10 million dollar transfer fee for Defoe, then trade him and get Altidore, who is arguably not even as good as Gilberto? wow that's some serious miss-managing. The popular opinion will disagree, I think that's insanity. Why not just keep Gilberto and sell Defoe and net the return? I don't understand the need for any of this unless Gilberto has secretly told MLSE he wants out. Can't we keep any player for longer then a year? This is literally Laba V 2 if this happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I think you might be right, why would TFC sign a 4th DP, not knowing a spot would be available, you would assume they learned from the last fiasco!
    Yes I think 4th DP spot is inevitable but unfortunately I thinkGilberto is gone , with MLSE hinting they've had good offers . Not sure he would fit well with Giovinco , anyway.........they might get in each others way AND we desperately need a CB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    so we pay a 10 million dollar transfer fee for Defoe, then trade him and get Altidore, who is arguably not even as good as Gilberto? wow that's some serious miss-managing. The popular opinion will disagree, I think that's insanity. Why not just keep Gilberto and sell Defoe and net the return? I don't understand the need for any of this unless Gilberto has secretly told MLSE he wants out. Can't we keep any player for longer then a year? This is literally Laba V 2 if this happens.
    "arguably not as good as gilberto"

sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather sell Altidore to NYRB for 7.5 million and keep a similar forward Gilberto. It's mute though if G doesn't want to be here long term

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hieberrr View Post
    I sort of agree with you. I was a huge fan of Laba when he was here. His work rate and skill were amazing and hugely underppreciated by fans. I would rather have him than Bradley (based on last season's performances). I do hope that Bradley plays better this year and lives up to his nickname.
    In fairness to Bradley, he was a boss in the midfield prior to his injury. Hopefully, he will back in top form to start the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post

Or MLS sees a USMNT striker having an issue, and Altidore was forced on us, and as a result Gilberto is the odd man out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Or MLS sees a USMNT striker having an issue, and Altidore was forced on us, and as a result Gilberto is the odd man out.
    NYRB wanted him and the league wanted him there as well. We wanted him and wouldn't play ball.

The 4th DP slot is more or less guaranteed according to insiders. Twellmen is one of the most in the know guys, and he said it is done. It just depends on what it ends up looking like. Bets are on a 4th DP slot for domestics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, i don't think a 6million DP was forced on TFC...especially as a USMNT....good lord there are a lot of conspiracy theorists around here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best indicator at there being a 4th dp spot is that LA have traded up the allo order to presumably nab Kljestan. He aint coming back from Anderlecht for a few hundred grand.

My thoughts is that it going to have some weird designation that none of ours qualify for. So it's probably for the best to sell Gilberto and have the spot free so we can take advantage of it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this attacking umph we are adding won't mean that much if our defence barely improves from last season.

If we only get 1 more CD, we are going to be relying upon the drafted kids + Hagglund at some point this season. That's not good enough.
    I'd rather see us get the one signing everybody is talking about and either an MLS CD with some experience or an MLS DM who wants to be just a DM.

It seemed to me that last season we went into the season really relying upon Henry and Orr to work with Caldwell. That didn't work so well.

This season, we seem to be relying upon the probable new guy and Hagglund. That's still not good enough, especially if Caldwell gets injured again or slows down even more.

If we don't fix our defence, all this offensive firepower means nothing.

And don't get me started on how nobody but Bradley knows how to play central defensive midfield on this team - all the rest of the midfielders want to run forward like DeRo in his prime. Warner, Creavalle (I suspect Delgado too) - all of them prefer bombing forward. Osorio doesnt track back consistently enough and Bekker ball watches expecting the CD's to do the work.

I love what has happened so far. And the draft gives us potential for a few years from now.

But we are a LOOOONG way away from being a solid defensive team.

The goal this year is playoffs - this team, even with the expected changes, isn't good enough to get far in the playoffs - our defence just isn't that good.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-18-2015 at 11:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an exercise in futile to speculate on what the cap will be given the pending CBA. Everything is on the table and with TFC splashing out big money like they have, the players union is going to push hard for a cap increase that benefits the "regular" players. I'm willing to wager we'll see a fair bit more than the standard 5% annual increase + whatever they're going to do with the DP rule.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What i got from the Larson article was that we have back up plans for Gilberto IF we dont get the 4th DP slot, not so much that he's definitely going to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    NYRB wanted him and the league wanted him there as well. We wanted him and wouldn't play ball.

The 4th DP slot is more or less guaranteed according to insiders. Twellmen is one of the most in the know guys, and he said it is done. It just depends on what it ends up looking like. Bets are on a 4th DP slot for domestics.
    The discussion on Ives and Mlssoccer last week was that it will be for a "supermax" dp, a dp who cost less than one of the big ones i.e. sub 1 million.

I'd like to see DPs over 30 limited to two, at the least. Our "retirement league" rep is getting worse, not better, Giovinco notwithstanding. Say, three under 30 who don't count against the cap at all, at two over who do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    All this attacking umph we are adding won't mean that much if our defence barely improves from last season.

If we only get 1 more CD, we are going to be relying upon the drafted kids + Hagglund at some point this season. That's not good enough.
    I'd rather see us get the one signing everybody is talking about and either an MLS CD with some experience or an MLS DM who wants to be just a DM.

It seemed to me that last season we went into the season really relying upon Henry and Orr to work with Caldwell. That didn't work so well.

This season, we seem to be relying upon the probable new guy and Hagglund. That's still not good enough, especially if Caldwell gets injured again or slows down even more.

If we don't fix our defence, all this offensive firepower means nothing.

And don't get me started on how nobody but Bradley knows how to play central defensive midfield on this team - all the rest of the midfielders want to run forward like DeRo in his prime. Warner, Creavalle (I suspect Delgado too) - all of them prefer bombing forward. Osorio doesnt track back consistently enough and Bekker ball watches expecting the CD's to do the work.

I love what has happened so far. And the draft gives us potential for a few years from now.

But we are a LOOOONG way away from being a solid defensive team.

The goal this year is playoffs - this team, even with the expected changes, isn't good enough to get far in the playoffs - our defence just isn't that good.
    We're one decent center back away (or centre half, if you're a traditionalist).

Bloom is serviceable at the right, Morrow is a leader at left, Caldwell is a good center half. Delgado is a real talent and should be our new DM, I think. Covers turf excellently, shields the ball well, passes accurately and makes smart decisions. THey can groom Creavalle, who is athletically awesome but, like Sanyang and Henry, makes poor decisions and is undisciplined. Warner is also a decent backup/rotation player.

I dunno; we're putting the pieces into place. If we don't try to force it wide all the time and accept that wide offense is our weakest area in terms of potential production, i.e. play either a diamond or with inverted wingers, this is a team that is starting to actually come together.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado wants to get forward based on every indication from how he played with Chivas

He's not a DM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Delgado play as an RB most of the time or am I mistaken?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC and every bad football critic/pundit walk/talk Gilberto out of town like they have done to almost every promising "ethnic" player we have had, and have season after season killed our chances to play proper "attacking football" . So instead we can run around playing linear endless crosses into the box trackstar football and call the boys "Lads" .

Gilbert/Giovinco/altidore is the best thing to happen to this team attacking/creativity wise ever, anything else is irrelevant,

Players like this dont get in each others way, like someone mentioned. They play sexy football(Because they are creative). Sexy football fosters winning.

Now I am asking TFC and the pundits "can we stop playing Trackstar football, and play sexy football"?

We tried that blue collar lunch pale football approach where everyone is a good Samaritan but they lack real quality to compete.

TFC wont stop its mediocrity till the approach to football ( culture), and the type football we expect to see as the Toronto community changes.

If we cant keep all 3 do to league rules, then thats sad and another issue. But if thats not the case. I expect to see all 3 suiting up for Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    True, but it's going to be way more fun watching TFC lose games 8-7, 6-4, 7-6 than it will be 1-0, 2-1, etc. The confetti cannons might have to be reinforced though.