Page 60 of 134 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 3992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Altidore seeking 6M a pop. Ouch. I wonder what kind of relationship he has with Bradley and if Bradley is pushing this along. Also, I honestly don't see Portland splashing that kind of cash.
    In the ESPN series chronicling the USMNT trip to Brazil there was a scene with Bradley (albeit jokingly) trying to recruit Jozy to TFC to play up top with Defoe. Wouldn't be shocked if he's ushering this along to an extent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6M a year? he has lost his marbles.
    We have a Dike alreaedy to run the other team into the ground
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 01-08-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-wei...ource-1.177981

Leiweke has spent recent weeks addressing issues with TFC. Star player Jermaine Defoe won't return to the team next season and Leiweke has been trying to get MLSE the best return for him, and plotting a plan to replace him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd laugh in his agent's face. No way he should get what Bradley's getting. Plus, Sunderland's going to want a transfer fee.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposedly Paulson has been given the go ahead from to sign a 5M player.
    Paulson owns the team, he can do whatever he wants.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I'd laugh in his agent's face. No way he should get what Bradley's getting. Plus, Sunderland's going to want a transfer fee.
    If he had decided to parlay his impressive success at AZ into a MLS deal at the time he left the Dutch league would these demands been looked at in a different light?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Timing and personnel needs to be right though and therein is the rub. My staff has a green light to sign a guy on $5M or less a year at their discretion (and more if I approve)…
    Can we land a U.S. Men's National team player? Like Mix?
    MP: Hopefully. With Mix been there done that. We tried and had we landed him Valeri wouldn’t be here (I make that trade any day of week and twice on Sun). There is a USMNT guy on our radar now.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/portl...55062733765554

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he had decided to parlay his impressive success at AZ into a MLS deal at the time he left the Dutch league would these demands been looked at in a different light?
    Yes they would. But:
    a) He didn't.
    b) He has demonstrated that in physically defensive leagues where he has to find space and create his own chances, he is a mediocre-to-poor striker at best. I like him as a person, but in Holland he played on a cohesive team that served up assist after assist on a platter. Yes, he scored a butt-ton of goals. But very few of them would have been scored in England, or Spain, or France -- or anywhere but Holland. The eredivisie produces some good defenders but for the most part is an open and free-flowing league; MLS isn't. We're a physical league where the lack of technical prowess forces individuals to make great plays. That's not, to me, the environment in which he'd perform best.

He had close to a one-in-two rate in MLS when he was 18 years old, playing with Juan Pablo Angel. But he's older now and has not show much improvement in the base skills he lacked at that point; that doesn't bode well.

My sense is that it might be a lousy buy, unless we also pick up a substantial playmaker, someone like Higuain or Valeri who can open up defenses with his own movement, then dish into space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No he can't.
    He doesn't sign players. MLS does.

Think back to TFC's interest in signing a certain bearded, Swedish defender...
    MLS has final approval on all deals.

(Not saying MLS would ever veto bringing a USMNT star home... but they still need to approve it)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    No he can't.
    He doesn't sign players. MLS does.

Think back to TFC's interest in signing a certain bearded, Swedish defender...
    MLS has final approval on all deals.

(Not saying MLS would ever veto bringing a USMNT star home... but they still need to approve it)
    I just think it's a very different environment now, you have essentially each team in the true sense owned by individually , no one owns 3,4,5,6 teams anymore.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is not going to stop Portland from wanting to spend the money. They would be quite happy to see a USMNT return to a team currently without a major headliner DP (sorry, Valeri isn't it).

Please take him - this is not our need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JA was scoring goals for fun in the Eredivisie. He parlayed that into a return to the Prem. He could have parlayed that into a top money move back to MLS or probably anywhere else. The thing is, the time at Sunderland can't be ignored. It shows that he is a risky player. For him (or his agent) to think there is not a cost to that risk is foolish.

I have the same concern that TFC doesn't have the right players to maximize JA's utility. Gertjan Verbeek unlocked something special, I'm skeptical that we can.

Having said all that, I have a fear now that we are going to get caught short of staff up front. If it is a choice between JA or other prospects, I'm inclined to look at others. If it is a choice between JA or not bringing anyone to replace Defoe and also possibly Gil, it may be worth the risk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    MLS is not going to stop Portland from wanting to spend the money. They would be quite happy to see a USMNT return to a team currently without a major headliner DP (sorry, Valeri isn't it).

Please take him - this is not our need.
    If it is between PTFC and TFC, offering same money, the league will pick PTFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    If it is between PTFC and TFC, offering same money, the league will pick PTFC.
    Player choice will be taken into consideration, just like they did for Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Player choice will be taken into consideration, just like they did for Bradley.
    TFC paid more for Bradley. He wanted to be here but they did pay more for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    How would they even use altidore in marketing he's scored 3 goals in 53 games for sunderland in all competitions
    Maybe refer to the fact that he scored 39 in 67 appearances in the Eredivisie or 15 goals in 37 appearances in the MLS as an 18/19 year old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    Maybe refer to the fact that he scored 39 in 67 appearances in the Eredivisie or 15 goals in 37 appearances in the MLS as an 18/19 year old.
    Or the 25 goals in 76 appearances for the yanks. That includes goals ageist Germany, Spain and most recently the winner against Columbia. Anyone judging his ability on his time at Sunderland is not very smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    In the ESPN series chronicling the USMNT trip to Brazil there was a scene with Bradley (albeit jokingly) trying to recruit Jozy to TFC to play up top with Defoe. Wouldn't be shocked if he's ushering this along to an extent.
    Wait, with Defoe? Did he explicitly say that? Man, does he have a problem with Gilberto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Or the 25 goals in 76 appearances for the yanks. That includes goals ageist Germany, Spain and most recently the winner against Columbia. Anyone judging his ability on his time at Sunderland is not very smart.
    According to Twellman, Jozy has matured a lot. He wants to be in MLS because he wants to regain his form and be a key player for the USMNT. He has 2 serious options in Europe but they may be loan deals and he may want something more permanent. I recommend the listen to Extra time Radio where he was interviewed. Enjoy listening to this guy. I wouldn't be opposed to TFC landing him.

He mentions we are definitely the front runner if New York really is backing away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Twellman, Jozy has matured a lot. He wants to be in MLS because he wants to regain his form and be a key player for the USMNT. He has 2 serious options in Europe but they may be loan deals and he may want something more permanent. I recommend the listen to Extra time Radio where he was interviewed. Enjoy listening to this guy. I wouldn't be opposed to TFC landing him.

He mentions we are definitely the front runner if New York really is backing away.
    I really don't care for this move. If he wants to come back to MLS for all the right reasons, then why does he need to be paid more than his market value. I understand if it was a US-based team that the hype surrounding him would make it worthwhile to overpay.. but for us that is just stupid. Think of the other strikers we could get for that kind of money and it is embarrassing. Basically cost us the same as Defoe did.

What does Altidore bring that Moore doesn't?
    Because Alt is not a pure goal scorer. Don't say this crap about him being a prolific MLS player, experienced player. This league is COMPLETELY different then when he was a teenager. His success back then would mean nothing here. Maybe it proves he can handle the traveling and culture lifestyle, but that is it.

Bottom line is, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a hold up striker. We can't rely on him for goals, boys. Why wouldn't we invest in someone who gets ball and delivers it to back of net. Defoe was great in that way, just a shame that his mom was a .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to take the good with the bad and when the bad is the most recent part of his resume coupled with him asking Defoe money, it paints a very risky picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be equally unwise to assume TFC is more like the US national team than it is Sunderland. Sunderland are awful. TFC are awful. Sunderland have trouble creating chances for their striker; TFC ... etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is so priotrized with the "big names" We don't know what will happen with Defoe, but at least we know we have Bradley and Gilberto. We need to find more guys like ishizaki Junihio,, Zardes etc and fill out the roster. I do not want or expect TFC to make a splurge for a name like Altidore and pay him 5 million.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Everyone is so priotrized with the "big names" We don't know what will happen with Defoe, but at least we know we have Bradley and Gilberto. We need to find more guys like ishizaki Junihio,, Zardes etc and fill out the roster. I do not want or expect TFC to make a splurge for a name like Altidore and pay him 5 million.
    Damn you and your logic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Wait, with Defoe? Did he explicitly say that? Man, does he have a problem with Gilberto?
    No he was just joking around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5puL3xYKME8#t=644

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It would be equally unwise to assume TFC is more like the US national team than it is Sunderland. Sunderland are awful. TFC are awful. Sunderland have trouble creating chances for their striker; TFC ... etc etc.
    I don't think you can ignore the USMNT form or cast it off as irrelevant. There's no premier league level defending here and anyone who has a decent combination of size-speed tends to give MLS CBs a lot of problems.

The numbers being tossed around just sound like MLS being America-centric and I don't see why TFC should give a crap and pay that inflated price. We could find much more exciting options elsewhere for those numbers. But for a moderate figure, I think he'll be an asset to a MLS team and it's worth the look (providing we still have room to spend real money on an AM).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    phew, I am so paranoid with all these rumours going around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm....

Sunderland want $10M and Jozy wants $6m a year...
    We're selling Defoe for $10m with a salary of $6M a year...

Trade? I'd take a hungry Jozy over a disinterested Defoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Hmmmm....

Sunderland want $10M and Jozy wants $6m a year...
    We're selling Defoe for $10m with a salary of $6M a year...

Trade? I'd take a hungry Jozy over a disinterested Defoe
    Though I would prefer to spread the money out, yes. Defoe is better but the extra games and age difference would make it worth it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Though I would prefer to spread the money out, yes. Defoe is better but the extra games and age difference would make it worth it
    I don't think there would be anything to spread out. A DP salary at $1M or $500M hits the cap the same.

As for transfer fee I highly doubt that the league would let anything we get back for Defoe for allocation (unless we manage to profit from it). If they did then a wealthy owner (like Saputo) could buy a kid one year into MLS and then sell him the next year to another team he owned and build up allocation to skirt the cap.