Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be surprised if we already spent it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    So looks like we have another $480k or so to spend with the new CBA in place. Where do we spend it?

Personally I'd go get a quality right back and a winger.
    Wait what.... Thats it???

I hope the cap increased by 1M atleast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is mickey mouse...we pay epl prices for a league that has 60k-150k and 6mil players on the same field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    lol that was a fun read and a good lesson to learn as a person who's shit at football and learning the fullback position in my mens league.
    Let him run himself out of the play; it's very rare that you'll be better used playing in tight and if you let him down to the touchline, he either has to beat you or try and cross; but the further you keep him from the box, the tougher it is to produce anything dangerous. A yard isn't usually enough for him to get a good cross in before you can block it, and it makes it hard for him to touch it by you while static then accelerate and beat you for speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    I think we have better depth in the forward and midfield positions , with defence being our "weak" spot.

My infatuation with the 3 in the back is that it's an attacking, attractive style of play.

I personally would rather have more of our attacking options be on the field than our defensive ones. I. E. Jackson over bloom

Goalkeeper is our weakest position. Bendik wouldnt be a starter in any other team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    that is mickey mouse...we pay epl prices for a league that has 60k-150k and 6mil players on the same field.
    We pay no where near EPL prices, let's get serious.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I'm paying $10/game. Where does that get me in the premier league exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i pay 60, i guess im a fool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude for what i pay for my season tickets 750 to 950 each,i can get season tickets for a lot of clubs in the epl....we hv a 3 mil cap and the epl have clubs that pay in the range of 50 to 150 mil on players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For lower-end EPL teams? I suspect we are a lot closer than you think. In fact, prior to the reduction in ticket prices a while back, I seem to recall someone showing we actually paid MORE than some EPL teams at the time, depending on the seats. No idea if that still holds.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our prices are higher than many EPL clubs. You could get decent season seats at Man United last season for $1,200, the same as TFC. EDIT: And I just checked; their cheapest season seat is only $50 more than ours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Goalkeeper is our weakest position. Bendik wouldnt be a starter in any other team.
    laughable.

the second part, not the first. The first is a valid opinion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPL sides also have massive stadia and must consider ticket prices against demand. Nearly every EPL side has to be concerned with another local side or sides (ex. London has what, like 10 teams in the top four divisions?). In Toronto, TFC is the only dog in the race. Also, as we've seen before, our team spends more per year on salary than nearly every Serie A team (other than the obvious). So TFC isn't the best example of 'I'm paying too much for a side that spends no money.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I'm paying $10/game. Where does that get me in the premier league exactly.
    Peering through the turnstile!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Our prices are higher than many EPL clubs. You could get decent season seats at Man United last season for $1,200, the same as TFC. EDIT: And I just checked; their cheapest season seat is only $50 more than ours.
    Can those tickets be had? Just curios, because I tried to get game tickets 2 years ago before I went to the UK, and I had to go on a standby list for single game tickets.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPL teams also have TV contracts and other revenue that dwarf what MLS teams pull in, so they don't need to make it up at the gate as much as TFC do. I'm too lazy to research it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the EPL rights on Canadian TV are worth more than the MLS rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    EPL teams also have TV contracts and other revenue that dwarf what MLS teams pull in, so they don't need to make it up at the gate as much as TFC do. I'm too lazy to research it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the EPL rights on Canadian TV are worth more than the MLS rights.
    For the US - NBC paid $250M for three years of EPL, or ~$83M/yr, the combined ESPN/Fox/Univision MLS deal is $90M per year for eight years but that includes US national teams broadcast rights (not including World Cup 2018 and 2022, that's a separate deal for which Fox paid ~$400M). If it was only MLS, it would be a fraction of that amount.

There is some thought that NBC may not be able to hold on to the EPL rights, the next contract is going to be crazy expensive. That's a shame, the coverage has been top shelf.
    Last edited by Detroit_TFC; 03-05-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Can those tickets be had? Just curios, because I tried to get game tickets 2 years ago before I went to the UK, and I had to go on a standby list for single game tickets.
    There's a wait list. Most are legacies but they free up a block every year as people pass on, don't renew etc. Then again, that's where we were for the first four seasons. Point is, same price even though their demand is higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to make too much of it, but from Football 365's Winners and Losers column this week:

Losers

Jermain Defoe
    Two goals in 757 minutes for Defoe at Sunderland, and now a measly five shots on target in six matches. It is more likely that the rotten form of QPR, Leicester and Burnley will keep Sunderland up than the signing of their £80,000-a-week striker.
    Daniel Storey

Recommended by

And yet... Jermain Defoe is still going to pronounce himself "gobsmacked" when he learns he hasn't made the England squad for the Euro qualifiers.
    - treeman1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird. Last post inserted a huge blank space, then wouldn't let me edit it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem for Defoe is how Sunderland are playing with him.
    They launch long high balls to him...hes a boderline midget and needs it at his feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    laughable.

the second part, not the first. The first is a valid opinion.
    he probably wouldn't start on any playoff contender in this league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    The biggest problem for Defoe is how Sunderland are playing with him.
    They launch long high balls to him...hes a boderline midget and needs it at his feet.
    This was the issue with Jozy wasn't it? he is a player that is best with the ball at his feet not in the air, even though he is big.

So if that is the case it is a good sign for Jozy doing well, particularly with the improved service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    This was the issue with Jozy wasn't it? he is a player that is best with the ball at his feet not in the air, even though he is big.

So if that is the case it is a good sign for Jozy doing well, particularly with the improved service.
    That team is run into the ground because its fans show up no matter what; loyal, marra (etc etc)

Having said that, they vilified Altidore even though Fletcher and Wickham were just as bad (and altidore took half as many shots while actually setting up the odd goal); now Defoe is in the same situation and hardly gets a look. But on the Sunderland boards? He's universally regarded as class. He may end out with five or six goals for them, and I'm not arguing Altidore is the same class of finisher (he's not) but reality is, no one at Sunderland sees much of goal. They're poorly motivated, spoiled players normally coached by ex-EPL players, instead of going out into the football world and finding a tactician/motivator. The fans there deserve better; but since most I've ever had the displeasure of talking to were small-minded xenophobes about North America in general (and if you've ever been to the Northeast, that's doubly staggering), I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. Might even get a bit of the old Schadenfreude off of it, to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he probably wouldn't start on any playoff contender in this league
    He's a good keeper; he makes the odd gaffe misplaying long balls and his distribution continues to be all power and no finesse; but his shotstopping is quite exceptional sometimes, especially for a big, strong guy. I'd liken him to a young Ricketts (i.e. he'll never really be top quality but second div like MLS? A good keeper.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the big problem I have with Bendik is that after virtually every goal against he springs up to his feet screaming at the defenders.......I understand that sometimes breakdowns lead to goals, but sometimes you just have to pick the ball out of the net and move on with it......I know if I was a defender for TFC, Bendik's "its never my fault" act would get thin pretty quickly. And it probably kills their confidence in game as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That team is run into the ground because its fans show up no matter what; loyal, marra (etc etc)

Having said that, they vilified Altidore even though Fletcher and Wickham were just as bad (and altidore took half as many shots while actually setting up the odd goal); now Defoe is in the same situation and hardly gets a look. But on the Sunderland boards? He's universally regarded as class. He may end out with five or six goals for them, and I'm not arguing Altidore is the same class of finisher (he's not) but reality is, no one at Sunderland sees much of goal. They're poorly motivated, spoiled players normally coached by ex-EPL players, instead of going out into the football world and finding a tactician/motivator. The fans there deserve better; but since most I've ever had the displeasure of talking to were small-minded xenophobes about North America in general (and if you've ever been to the Northeast, that's doubly staggering), I have a hard time feeling sorry for them. Might even get a bit of the old Schadenfreude off of it, to be honest.
    Hey as long as Jozy is actually better than his time there that is all that matters... He doesn't have to be better, just good enough..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a good keeper; he makes the odd gaffe misplaying long balls and his distribution continues to be all power and no finesse; but his shotstopping is quite exceptional sometimes, especially for a big, strong guy. I'd liken him to a young Ricketts (i.e. he'll never really be top quality but second div like MLS? A good keeper.)
    Better than Hamid, Clark, Penedo, M'Bohli, Sean John, Frei, Ousted, Rimando, Dan Kennedy, Ricketts, Marin, Robles, or hell even Shuttleworth? I think not.

Edit: By the way I just named thirteen teams with better goalkeeping than us
    Last edited by portu; 03-05-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better than Hamid, Clark, Penedo, M'Bohli, Sean John, Frei, Ousted, Rimando, Dan Kennedy, Ricketts, Marin, Robles, or hell even Shuttleworth? I think not.

Hard to argue with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's equally as good as Robles, Shuttleworth, Ricketts and penedo, which puts him about middle of the pack in this league. he won't win us a lot of games on his own but he won't make a significant amount of errors either.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 03-05-2015 at 05:22 PM.