Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Just wanted to point out to anyone that remembers (and to the few people that took me up on it), that I won my bet: Urruti scored more goals than Gilberto (10 to 7). How Gilberto escapes peoples' wrath on here is beyond me. Way over paid for his production. We could have taken Chad Barrett if we wanted that level of production, and still have the DP slot for Laba. He doesn't have the killer instinct in front of goal, and he isn't a leader of the line. He's a second striker at best.
    People only remember that run of games where he justified his price tag. It was way more fun shitting on my editorialized thread title than owning up to the reality of the situation. What was the bet for, anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    People only remember that run of games where he justified his price tag. It was way more fun shitting on my editorialized thread title than owning up to the reality of the situation. What was the bet for, anyway?
    I bet that Urruti would score more goals than Gilberto. And he did, 10 to Gilberto's 7.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to point out to anyone that remembers (and to the few people that took me up on it), that I won my bet: Urruti scored more goals than Gilberto (10 to 7). How Gilberto escapes peoples' wrath on here is beyond me. Way over paid for his production. We could have taken Chad Barrett if we wanted that level of production, and still have the DP slot for Laba. He doesn't have the killer instinct in front of goal, and he isn't a leader of the line. He's a second striker at best.
    Escapes wrath? Like from anyone, right? You're asking why it isn't every single poster here not raging on him?

Because if you want to try and say that Giberto escaped wrath entirely this season have I got a forgotten thread for you, buddy.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Escapes wrath? Like from anyone, right? You're asking why it isn't every single poster here not raging on him?

Because if you want to try and say that Giberto escaped wrath entirely this season have I got a forgotten thread for you, buddy.
    Ha ha. Touche.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of our younger, cheaper players that fit in those slots, like Aparicio, Bloom, Hagglund, Weideman, Hamilton, Roberts, Becker, Lovitz, Morgan, Mannella and whatever draftees or prospects Bez manages to dig up in the off-season. Maybe even add DeRo on that team to provide veteran leadership/mentoring. I'm assuming Henry is gone and Oso is good enough to stay up. The remaining players that are starters (Oduro, Warner, Jackson) will be either traded, released, or shoved down into the 12-20 slots while TFC uses the increased cap space to get quality players from South/Central America and better MLS journeymen that are out of favour with other clubs. Removing Moore, Caldwell, and Defoe should leave about 6 international slots open - those slots should all be top starters, considered almost like DP slots. TB has to make those signings count.
    That is asking an awful lot from an accountant, I don't think he has the football mind to evaluate good football talent, he can however work with the number. I don't really trust Tim B anymore. I really think he is just a numbers man. thoughts
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 10-28-2014 at 07:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet that Urruti would score more goals than Gilberto. And he did, 10 to Gilberto's 7.
    I won the over under bet that was set at 5.

What do I win?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I won the over under bet that was set at 5.

What do I win?
    Was that a real bet? Pints were the other bet, so why not...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    That is asking an awful lot from an accountant, I don't think he has the football mind to evaluate good football talent, he can however work with the number. I don't really trust Tim B anymore. I really think he is just a numbers man. thoughts
    Well, there's one way we'll find out for sure - the Re-entry Draft is coming up in 7 weeks. It is crucial that Bez picks the best players available. Look at how well DC did last year, picking up Franklin and Boswell to completely revamp their backline and Espindola to provide goals. I'm curious to see if TB can work similar magic though being further down the table. If he pick players whose advanced stats seem like a steal, but then prove to be a cancer in the locker room, then we'll know Tim's just a numbers guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was that a real bet? Pints were the other bet, so why not...?
    Ah, i'm just messing around.

The guys that took under are quiet though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bez is a stats man, he probably should take a look at the assist leader chart for the year... LD = 19, Valeri = 14, Keane = 14, Henry = 14, Martins = 13, J. Morales = 12, P. Morales = 12, B. Davis = 11, Maidana = 11, Sarvas = 11, Rosales = 11, Dempsey =10

He started the year saying that 2 DP strikers were essential for success - ummmmm, no. If neither can link all that well, you better have a creative element in your midfield

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Derko;1703228]
    I think Tim, like any GM should be working closely with the coaching staff to identify and get target players that fit their style. Nelsen did that and Tim used their networks to get their targets in under the cap. I think Vanney being assistant GM and now coach has a pretty good idea of what he wants and again (yes its a broken record with TFC) didn't get a window to properly get the players he needs to play his style. Now if they strolled along and said Vanney is not the guy, then I am fine, not sold on anything right now.

I do think we have a good core to build with. Some good talent to move for players that will fit our system, or retain to play what it is the team will be playing. From all I hear Nelsen was a good guy but out of his depth, couldn't hold the room, didn't adjust tactics and didn't scout teams. Its also clear that people with agendas were putting themselves ahead of the club, something that I can bet frustrated Tim B in the end.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very interesting, the most constructive thread like this I have ever seen on these boards. Good, thoughtful discussion, and a pretty consistent view (only real discussion is on whether to keep Caldwell).
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Derko;1703228]
    He played professionally and in college. EDIT: He was also in the U.S. Olympic team pool as a teenager.

I think Caldwell still has plenty in the tank. We can probably find someone to compete with him for a starting role. We certainly need at least one more experienced central defender.
    Last edited by jloome; 10-27-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Random thoughts about the shitshow that was this season. Probably going to be several random posts throughout next couple of weeks.

1. Michael Bradley

On the pitch and tactically, this ended up being TFC's biggest issue. Just where to play Michael Bradley and how? Both Nelsen and Bradley tried to figure this out, but didn't come up with good enough answer.

The biggest issue with Badly, errr... Bradley is that he thinks he's a combination of Messi and Busquets and tried to do everything at once. Ever notice how TFC played better through midfield if Bradley is not on the pitch? Far more organized with people knowing their roles better. Put Bradley in the pitch and the midfield plays like basketball. Pass the ball to Bradley like he's Kobe Bryant and just watch for things to happen and react to it. Passing the ball to Bradley means you're no longer responsible for the ball, and it's an easy way out. Frustrating.

Bradley has potential to be the best midfielder in MLS, but this season, he was far from being one. Not even close. Average at best. He can do a lot of things, but not all of them at once. So, Vanney needs to make a decision and pick a role for Bradley. Is he a box to box midfielder? Probably his best role. Or is he a DM with deep playmaking role, which seems to be Bradley's preferred role. Whichever one Vanney decides is the best use of Bradley, he needs to pick one for him, and more importantly, make Bradley stick with that role only. If he is playing B2B role, don't let him drop back too deep, because he won't be supporting the attackers if he's too deep. If he's playing DM, make him understand that he cannot allow the defence to get exposed on the counter, so he cannot venture too far up the pitch. Bradley needs to be more disciplined.

Bradley may be a high paid DP and he is a competitor who wants to win. But he needs to realize that he cannot carry the team alone, and he needs better understanding of his role within the team and not take on too much.
    News today that Bradley is having another surgery to correct a nerve issue in his foot. Same issue that he had a procedure on shortly before leaving for the World Cup. Evidently he's been playing with whatever issue it is all season essentially. I really wonder if it limited his ability to cover ground on the pitch like he showed in the first 3-4 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    News today that Bradley is having another surgery to correct a nerve issue in his foot. Same issue that he had a procedure on shortly before leaving for the World Cup. Evidently he's been playing with whatever issue it is all season essentially. I really wonder if it limited his ability to cover ground on the pitch like he showed in the first 3-4 games.
    his problem was covering too much ground, although perhaps some of his defensive lapses (NE game, for example) were due to this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    his problem was covering too much ground, although perhaps some of his defensive lapses (NE game, for example) were due to this
    Covering ground and trying to do everything are very different. Watch the opener vs. Seattle again to see the former. One of best MLS performances I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Covering ground and trying to do everything are very different. Watch the opener vs. Seattle again to see the former. One of best MLS performances I've ever seen.
    Yeh, he's just being overextended -- trying to do it all, and, in the end, sometimes doing nothing to any great affect. Needs a proper DM and AM, in particular, both to give him confidence to know he can pick his moments, more, and the team will be alright, as well as giving him better passing options/movement to work with, in exploiting his quality vision/read of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely think Caldwell needs to be in this team next year. He has a ton of character and leadership. The team really flagged when he was out. We looked quite a bit better at the back with him. If we can find him a solid partner I think we'll be ok.

Also think it's nuts to talk about dumping Oduro. Against Montreal the team looked like it had gone to sleep until he came in. Out and out speed is a huge asset, and you can't teach it. The guy is the fastest player in the league. That's worth a lot. Remember the KC home game? He turned Seth Sinovic, who is a top MLS defender, into a pretzel so many times he eventually had to be red carded to stop him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely think Caldwell needs to be in this team next year. He has a ton of character and leadership. The team really flagged when he was out. We looked quite a bit better at the back with him. If we can find him a solid partner I think we'll be ok.

Also think it's nuts to talk about dumping Oduro. Against Montreal the team looked like it had gone to sleep until he came in. Out and out speed is a huge asset, and you can't teach it. The guy is the fastest player in the league. That's worth a lot. Remember the KC home game? He turned Seth Sinovic, who is a top MLS defender, into a pretzel so many times he eventually had to be red carded to stop him.
    Agreed and agreed. That doesn't mean we don't need a wide player, as Lovitz isn't ready and Jackson isn't a starting winger, in my opinion. I'm not sure where you play him, to be honest. He does offer speed and strength and he's a great athlete in terms of reacting to avoid problems, but he doesn't have great technique or passing ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oduro is a headless chicken and at best a situational player rather than an every day starter. We need a winger who actually has a brain and can consistently provide service and can move off the ball. Our central mids might go on strike of they have to deal with Oduro's idiocy for another season. A simple triangle is beyond him.

Caldwell is getting older / expensive / not as good as others around the league who are counted on to do the same thing. I'd heavily think about it before committing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Oduro is a headless chicken and at best a situational player rather than an every day starter. We need a winger who actually has a brain and can consistently provide service and can move off the ball. Our central mids might go on strike of they have to deal with Oduro's idiocy for another season. A simple triangle is beyond him.

Caldwell is getting older / expensive / not as good as others around the league who are counted on to do the same thing. I'd heavily think about it before committing.
    I agree Oduro makes poor decisions but he offers a lot in terms of penetrating the other end quickly and creating space, can score the odd goal, beats his defender. Yeah, he's not the ideal starter but he's a decent role player. I think you're overstating his inadequacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really need to have a definitive stick to beat Bez with, is he just a lawyer or an accountant?

From Rollins piece today...

When it comes to the draft they did a lot right. Despite drafting at a spot where not much should have been expected, TFC managed to select a player in Nick Hagglund that actually had the most appearances of anyone drafted in the 2014 draft.

That's the potatoes of TFC's draft. The gravy was Daniel Lovitz. Simply put, the second round of the draft is next to useless. The median appearances of players drafted last year in the second round is actually zero (ave is 3.3). Lovitz had 17 appearances.

Lovitz was a useful player that added creativity and width off the bench. Hagglund looks like a guy that's going to be a replacement level MLS defender for the next 5-6 years. That's a home run in the context of a MLS draft in 2014. It's a grand slam home run from the 11th pick.

When you factor in that the draft was very much Tim Bezbatchenko's baby this past year -- Ryan Nelsen basically parachuted in at the combine after most of the work was done -- you have to have some hope that something useful can come out of Toronto's selections in next year's draft where they have four first round selections, including three in the first 11 picks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    We really need to have a definitive stick to beat Bez with, is he just a lawyer or an accountant?

From Rollins piece today...
    It's one of few reasons to keep Bez. He's already done the homework on superdraft more or less. Put in a new guy, and he doesn't know the needs of the squad compared to what's available at the draft.

TFC can't afford to make a hash out of the next draft. TFC has to pick up at least 2 depth players who can make immediate contribution, with all 4 picks looking to make contributions in 2016
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would consider moving Oduro to a regular striker, ideally not a starter. Those 12 and 13 goal seasons didn't come when he was on the wing. He could fill in there when necessary but if he's playing up top he can use his speed to get in behind the back line, something he was rarely able to accomplish on the wing. If we sign a DP AM, he'll be getting a lot of through balls to run onto, and coming off the bench against tired defenders only makes him more threatening.

That's when he becomes a real weapon. See Moore's goal against Montreal when Bradley played a long through ball and Oduro took off, whoever was marking him was out of the play as soon as the ball was played because of Oduro's speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's won all four of his trades and drafted well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    he's won all four of his trades and drafted well.
    Much of the vitriol towards Bez seems to ignore that he's doing the "job" part of his job pretty well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laba was not replaced.

Unless he and Nelsen thought Bradley was a DM, that is on Bez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Much of the vitriol towards Bez seems to ignore that he's doing the "job" part of his job pretty well.
    Don't get me wrong, he is doing his job as you put it 'Pretty Well' but I just think he should be the numbers guy who facilitates contracts within the salary cap, which is what he was brought in to do, not panic and fire the entire coaching staff when the team is in 3rd place, and having a losing streak. Better teams than TFC go through dry spells, but by god does the coaching staff get fired. And I am not saying Nelson would have kept TFC in a playoff position, but does it just appear to be the usual panic move, by an inexperienced GM. in my opinion. And I don't ignore that fact and take offence to your conjecture that some folks on here. don't look at things with an open and objective mind. I do respect your opinion and insight.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong, he is doing his job as you put it 'Pretty Well' but I just think he should be the numbers guy who facilitates contracts within the salary cap, which is what he was brought in to do, not panic and fire the entire coaching staff when the team is in 3rd place, and having a losing streak. Better teams than TFC go through dry spells, but by god does the coaching staff get fired. And I am not saying Nelson would have kept TFC in a playoff position, but does it just appear to be the usual panic move, by an inexperienced GM. in my opinion. And I don't ignore that fact and take offence to your conjecture that some folks on here. don't look at things with an open and objective mind. I do respect your opinion and insight.
    that's the thing. it wasn't a panic move. Bez planned to be the guy in charge for a long time. noticed that Bez pretty much had the new coaching staff on standby the entire time, by hiding them in TFC academy?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    that's the thing. it wasn't a panic move. Bez planned to be the guy in charge for a long time. noticed that Bez pretty much had the new coaching staff on standby the entire time, by hiding them in TFC academy?
    It's true. He had the performance coach hired in March but he was never introduced publicly.