RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Certainly Not a Quiet Day in the News

Larson`s Piece
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Larsun's "story" on Defoe ... it could be true, but that is one shoddy hatchet job of unsourced innuendo, as written

More broadly, I mean who cares WHY, he acted the way he acted, he is responsible for his actions and decisions.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This story was leaked to Larson because TFC management doesn't want anything to do with Defoe any longer. Defoe is definitely gone Jan. 1st.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well from everything I heard and saw, Larsons article is bang on for what the issues are.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the reason this season went to shit for Defoe (and us) was because he didn't trust TFC's medical staff and get surgery that would've kept him out of only a few games. Instead he chose to just rehab his injury but he kept getting re-aggravating it and ended up missing 14 games. And that was it for our season really.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a lot put off with Defoe defending himself saying:

So, yes, I can understand that but at the same time I think what people need to realize is I never once came out publicly and said I want to leave the club.
    Sure, but you also never came out publicly and said that you wanted to stay, and are committed to the club. With all the noise, both here and in the UK, about him going back in the summer window, not saying anything was almost as good as saying you wanted to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    I'm a lot put off with Defoe defending himself saying:

Sure, but you also never came out publicly and said that you wanted to stay, and are committed to the club. With all the noise, both here and in the UK, about him going back in the summer window, not saying anything was almost as good as saying you wanted to go.
    In my opinion not saying anything was actually worse!
    If he had come out and admitted he wanted to go, at least there would have been some clarity, and the rest of the team could have moved on with the rest of the season.

Instead the rumours and uncertainty hung around as a MAJOR distraction, dragging this team further down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to think I almost, at one point, bought a Defoe jersey....this is a good reminder again of why I don't want to get a name on my jerseys. Actually I have a Frei goalkeeper kit but I am good with that since I still have respect for Frei. All other shirts are blank.

Definitely not saying anything and letting everyone's imagination run wild back here in Canada was a huge mistake. He even says in his interview he was reading all of the press about people speculating here. My view on it is he never bothered to answer his critics here because he never thought he was going to have to come back and was going to join QPR. I would have to look for it but there was even a British article I think about him shopping around for a home while he was there too. When he found out the QPR deal was squashed he took extra time to come back thinking oh shit how am I going to cover my ass on this one and he hasn't said anything convincing since. As soon as we looked to be out of the playoff picture his "injury" flared up again. That kind of crap has to really emotionally crush a team desperate to make it especially when so many guys on the team don't have the "Defoe" type of name to go elsewhere...this is their life and livelihood Defoe is also pissing around with.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We don't need players like Defoe on this team. He hides his intentions behind the cover of silence.
    Sure his talents are top notch and that is what this team needs but we need "Bradley" type players.
    Guys who just lay it on the table. He's not afraid to say it as it is, but still sticks up for his team.

Fuck even Gilberto - the guy I was not 100% behind to start the season - seems more the type of player we need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They knew what defoe was when they brought him here, they even used that info to get to him so I don't think they should be whining about it now when history repeats itself. I can't wait for the guy to leave but there are others that need to be jettisoned too

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought it was weird that his mom had to be wined and dined here before Defoe ever came over to Toronto but now it makes more sense going by that article. I was happy to hear he was coming back in January and now I will be happy if he leaves. Never thought I would think that so many months ago. Don't want TFC to be a circus show or big attraction....I just want them to be a contender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I always thought it was weird that his mom had to be wined and dined here before Defoe ever came over to Toronto but now it makes more sense going by that article. I was happy to hear he was coming back in January and now I will be happy if he leaves. Never thought I would think that so many months ago. Don't want TFC to be a circus show or big attraction....I just want them to be a contender.

Interesting story. Sure there is some truth to it. But Joe Kool, you captured out thoughts exactly . . .
    We just want TFC to be a contender!
    J&M