Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching Tim Bez interview today, I truly believe he has no idea what he is doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched Vanney's clips and I am impressed with his delivery and also his content. One thing about him is that he is the first manager at TFC that I recall ever giving honest or correct critiques of the squad and/or match. It is refreshing to hear him identify problems that we all see and discuss on these boards and offer solutions even if it is just words. It's better than the manager saying we were the better team after losing 2-0 at home or blaming a ref for everything. Things we've done too much of.

But, I still am in the experienced name manager camp as I don't have faith in Vanney's longevity here and having another mid-season coaching staff change will just about do it for me. With Vanney as he is, combined with Bez who is looking a bit weasley these days, will Bez really give Vanney a season of growing pains and wait until 2016?

Vanney's TFC finished 2-6-2 in his 10 matches in charge and we all know that wasn't good enough. Now with our first 7 matches being away fixtures next year it's not unreasonable to suggest we could match that or even do worse. If we roll out of the gate with 8 points in our first 10 matches does Vanney survive? Does he get the benefit of a shitty schedule or does the GM do what he has to do to save his own job? I guess we'll see but history leads me believe and expect the worst as this is a road we've stumbled down many times before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney's interview was excellent, but it only confirms what we know - that he is a good communicator - and doesn't say much new about his ability to translate his clear thinking into good play.
    i was most interested in his knocks against Nelsen: lack of fitness and locker room culture. Nelsen made exactly the same points when he began! Also, "sources" were recently quoted as saying Nelsen worked the players too hard (two a days)..... Which is actually consistent with Vanney's earlier comments about over work causing injuries, but not with his suggestion that players weren't fit enough.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 10-30-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Well.. I'm not sure there's much to say about this, when you take pains to cut out the context of my post, which directly answers the implied question of why I would suggest his time at Chivas could be particularly useful here.

Anyway.. Yohan, you're posting the first, then last, then second video. There's still a third, if you watch on the TFC website, versus their YouTube channel, and not watching them in sequence takes a bit away from the impression he makes on you.

Here are the videos, in order, as from the TFC site:

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/1...ctober-29-2014

Well said. It makes a difference to finally, for the first time in eight years. listen to a coach who clearly understands what we're not doing on a technical level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished watching the the interviews. Really like how Vanney mentions doing things the MLS way and building with experienced MLS players but after watching the bez clips I'm wondering if its an approach that will be allowed to take flight. Bez talks about the ownership wanting to be a big brand on a global scale, being in the conversations for the big names. The ownership wants the big sell, the big name, the big marketing opportunity where as Vanney is saying he doesn't want the guy doing the step overs. When Lampart, Villa, Kaka start taking the headlines does ownership allow the MLS build or do the go out and get another big name for a marketing pissing contest?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, Vanney has said that he values both (DP's & MLS players); he highlighted DC as exemplary, for their success using MLS-hardened players.. whilst making clear that he doesn't aim to copy them, entirely. Rather, he wants to take bits from all the more successful league sides into account, as he puts his team together.
    might be reading too much into his comments, but I think Vanney will copy Bruce Arena his mentor's model, though with different formation
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Just finished watching the the interviews. Really like how Vanney mentions doing things the MLS way and building with experienced MLS players but after watching the bez clips I'm wondering if its an approach that will be allowed to take flight. Bez talks about the ownership wanting to be a big brand on a global scale, being in the conversations for the big names. The ownership wants the big sell, the big name, the big marketing opportunity where as Vanney is saying he doesn't want the guy doing the step overs. When Lampart, Villa, Kaka start taking the headlines does ownership allow the MLS build or do the go out and get another big name for a marketing pissing contest?
    To be fair, Vanney has said that he values both (DP's & MLS players); he highlighted DC as exemplary, for their success using MLS-hardened players.. whilst making clear that he doesn't aim to emulate their approach, exactly. Rather, he wants to take bits from all the more successful league sides into account, as he builds the team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    might be reading too much into his comments, but I think Vanney will copy Bruce Arena his mentor's model, though with different formation
    As you say this, now, and in light of Arena going out of his way to sing Vanney's praises, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this turns out to be the case.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...eady-back-work

Bob Bradley doesnt sound like he's going anywhere. But his contract with Staebaek ends end of next season
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...eady-back-work

Bob Bradley doesnt sound like he's going anywhere. But his contract with Staebaek ends end of next season

Too bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you say this, now, and in light of Arena going out of his way to sing Vanney's praises, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this turns out to be the case.

Bruce Arena coaching the team remotely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is interesting. Looks like Houston is having, you know, an actual process to name their next coach:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2...aching-search/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our process always reminds me of that one ladder in Snake and Ladders that takes you from 3 up to 80.

Soon to be followed by the coach landing on the big snake that takes him back down to 7.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Bruce Arena coaching the team remotely?
    lool

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good article that says it all regarding coaches/tfc for me
    http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/in...ffseason-r4961

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Not really. If he thinks the "death spiral via nelsen" is the sole explanation, he's not very imaginative. For one, Vanney started the rebuild before the season was over. so the team was starting from fresh. Was that a smart decision, rather that staying tactically status quo? He didn't have much other choice; they'd been found out under the existing system and were getting hammered by any team that wasn't crap. There are numerous scenarios, from things in the dressing room to Bradley's foot to blah blah blah.

The sole explanation. Preposterous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its CSN.

Imagination is not as important as curmudgeonness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Not really. If he thinks the "death spiral via nelsen" is the sole explanation, he's not very imaginative. For one, Vanney started the rebuild before the season was over. so the team was starting from fresh. Was that a smart decision, rather that staying tactically status quo? He didn't have much other choice; they'd been found out under the existing system and were getting hammered by any team that wasn't crap. There are numerous scenarios, from things in the dressing room to Bradley's foot to blah blah blah.

The sole explanation. Preposterous.
    I said for me J
    People are welcome to agree or disagree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said for me J
    People are welcome to agree or disagree
    LOL, you got me in curmudgeon mode.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    LOL, you got me in curmudgeon mode.
    HAHAHAHA
    hard to avoid when dealing with TFC these days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is another article on MLS.com that says they are looking for someone who has played in the league, analytical, etc etc. just like what Bez says about Vanney. Must be a league directive, or at least discussion in the league office. Perhaps it is part of developing US coaching talent (in the same way the league was set up to develop playing talent). Not sure but the quotes are virtually identical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Says it all for me too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Says it all for me too.
    Yeah me too. He hit the nail on the head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley's situation in Norway doesn't look all that settled

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-talks-fall-th
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id be livid if we fired Vanney and Bez at this point (we would be firing the latter essentially as Vanney is his hiring).
    Even if it was for Bradley. We'd be doing just more of the same as the previous years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta say that the article doesnt mention his own aspirations in there, which im sure havent changed any.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta say that the article doesnt mention his own aspirations in there, which im sure havent changed any.
    Yeah, he turned this down because it's too sideways of a move. Goteborg has more money but therefore more to prove; if he gets them into Champions' League, it's not that big a deal because they're one of the teams expected to compete for a spot. But Sogndal was expected to be relegated, thus the interest in the first place.

If he gets the Norwegian team into a euro slot next season, he'll be seen as a chronic overachiever and have bigger suitors, and he probably knows it. Whereas at Goteborg he has no upside in terms of proving ability; if they win, they were expected to. If they come second.... they get fired, like their last coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those interested in seeing TFC hire an experienced manager instead of the MLS norm of ex-MLS players, we may have a guinea pig to see how things go: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ubs-next-coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good hire by hire by Houston - Coyle is an experienced manager. I'd take him seriously vef Vanney any day.