Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coach/GM Shopping

Coach Shopping anybody?
    I dont believe vanney is going to take us to the playoffs.
    what are some viable options or damnit the best available coaches in the world.
    my first idea is to bring in mark watson. the canadian head coach of san jose who was just let go
    impressive record considering he never had a healthy roster and champions league record to boot
    assistant coach for canada since 04 and coached canada u20 2007-2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wa...dian_soccer%29

http://www.mercurynews.com/earthquak...akes-high-road

Steve sampson from LA, I dont know if he's been out of work since 06 or what
    the United States Soccer Federation (USSF) named Sampson as the interim coach in April 1995. But after leading the US to a surprising fourth-place finish at the Copa América 1995, including a 3-0 romp over Argentina, as well as a victory over arch-rivals Mexico in the quarterfinals, Sampson was promoted to full-time national team coach in August 1995.

Many of the players whom Sampson had brought into the team were absent from the Galaxy squad due to national team commitments for the US, Costa Rica, and Guatemala. Sampson was on the hot seat to be fired, but as the season continued the Galaxy improved and eventually won the U.S. Open Cup and MLS Cup double
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sampson

sorry if its messy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see them throw money at Lagerway to come in (that's not to say he would come of course) and allow him to pick everyone under him so we finally have a cohesive unit. Hopefully that would do enough to quell any hard feelings by players that were loyal to Nelsen and it would give us the needed experience to accommodate a coach that doesn't have the resume we would all hope for (I don't think Bruce or Sigi are coming).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No to Watson, god no.

Lagerway is interesting. Out of contract at the end of season and hasn't signed an extension. Rumored to want a president gig, if MLSE could get him id be fine with dumping Bez and Vanney.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 10-20-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No to Watson, god no.

Lagerway is interesting. Out of contract at the end of season and hasn't signed an extension. Rumored to want a president gig, if MLSE could get him id be fine with dumping Bez and Vanney.
    This would be the only saving grace for our squad that I can see. Still I doubt it. I think next year is a 'retooling' year and we have a regression from the 'success' of 2014.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No to Watson, god no.

It's not just that I disagree, as I see positives in Vanney that others evidently don't agree with, it's also that Lagerway is a GM, not a coach. Bez, he could replace; but we'd still need to find a coach at that point.

If we bring in another new outside influence, he'll bring in massive change, roster upheaval, starting over again etc.

ENOUGH. It never works. You have no faith in Vanney but there's no way ten games is enough to judge someone; if we did that, pretty much every other coach in the league would have been fired at some point.

Let's do what works in other towns: a veteran MLSer coaching, someone who knows the league as GM. In other words, what we have right now; no more primadonna former premiership stars, no more reinventing the f'ing wheel.

EDIT: And Mark Watson? Jesus Tapdancing Christ, no. He's one of the leaders of the "rebellion" that got Osieck tossed after he led us to the Gold Cup for being too tough on players at the confed cup. Anyone who has listened to the guy over the years knew exactly what was going to go down, just as Mo's background should have told people what would happen if given the reins here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's not just that I disagree, as I see positives in Vanney that others evidently don't agree with, it's also that Lagerway is a GM, not a coach. Bez, he could replace; but we'd still need to find a coach at that point.

If we bring in another new outside influence, he'll bring in massive change, roster upheaval, starting over again etc.

ENOUGH. It never works. You have no faith in Vanney but there's no way ten games is enough to judge someone; if we did that, pretty much every other coach in the league would have been fired at some point.

Let's do what works in other towns: a veteran MLSer coaching, someone who knows the league as GM. In other words, what we have right now; no more primadonna former premiership stars, no more reinventing the f'ing wheel.

EDIT: And Mark Watson? Jesus Tapdancing Christ, no. He's one of the leaders of the "rebellion" that got Osieck tossed after he led us to the Gold Cup for being too tough on players at the confed cup. Anyone who has listened to the guy over the years knew exactly what was going to go down, just as Mo's background should have told people what would happen if given the reins here.
    Yea I know he is not a coach but if he were to come in and appoint his own staff i'd be fine with it.

I'm in the Vanney/Bez camp unless a realistic proven MLS vet becomes available (which I don't see happening)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need an experienced manager to move upstairs in a few years. Osieck is available ( can not care less about his political correctness ).
    He also knows how to work with MLS kind of players, having worked in Canada and Australia. Keep Bez there to count MLS beans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh lets get an experienced manager like what Man U have done, oh erm, hold that thought a min as they are still 1-0 down at West Brom and not Top of the EPL

im in the Bez/Vanney camp for now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Some people are desperately seeking who won't come here. Vanney's record is based on a team he didn't build, playing a formation (4-4-2) that he doesn't like. With a DP who doesn't want to be here that he didn't pick.
    You just have to listen to the man, he is a decent tactician. Give him the right to make the few changes that are needed to play a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1 and you will see something quite different from these handful of games.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priceless, Fellainy put on at the half by Van H and scores within a minute Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leedsoronto View Post
    Yeh lets get an experienced manager like what Man U have done, oh erm, hold that thought a min as they are still 1-0 down at West Brom and not Top of the EPL

im in the Bez/Vanney camp for now.
    right after you posted that he brought on Fellani and he scored

EDIT: You beat me to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right after you posted that he brought on Fellani and he scored

EDIT: You beat me to it
    sods law rules again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless someone like Langerway can be hired as president with a coach such as Sigi-- Bruce--- Jason,then forget about any other possibility.
    Bez/Vanney is where its at.
    This league has so much parity even with the coaching.
    There are no Fergies or Wengers on this side of the ocean.
    Look at all the retreads even Preki is still around.
    Determination /Desire is what this club needs from TOP to BOTTOM until then enjoy the fact that we have a professional team at all
    I could coach this team to mediocrity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not too convinced about Bez/Vanney either, but I don't see a sure bet like Bruce Arena or Sigi Schmid available.

- The other experienced/recycled MLS coaches that might be available, have already "failed" somewhere else, and/or are unproven in the MLS 2.5 environment.
    - Guys with some combination of MLS playing, Academy/Assistant coaching, and/or NCAA coaching experience, are unproven as top-level professional coaches, just like Vanney. Going with them is just another spin of the turnstile.
    - Experienced international coaches have their own caveats -- can they deal with / survive / thrive in MLS, with all its peculiarities?

In any case, Tim Leiweke is on his way out. Who knows what the hell happens after he is gone. Better sit tight for now. Next year might be another write-off, as Vanney & Bez continue learning on the job (as per usual) -- and at some point, there will be a new Prez/CEO or whatever Bogers decides to hire. The new guy might want to have his own say RE the GM & coaching roles.

Pretty depressing, eh? I don't know what else could happen.

The only thing that would give me much hope, would be a change in ownership, i.e., TFC sold by MLSE. (Not just a change in ownership at the Bogers level.) Not happening though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically Arena failed in New York too. Add Cirovski and Zambrano to the list of potential candidates.

Overall I still think there are names, it's just as fans we can't come up with a big list because the sport isn't well covered here. Especially if we're talking about USL / NASL / NCAA talent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id like to see who we will be getting no matter how many wishful thoughts, Vanney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carlos Queiroz anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Carlos Queiroz anyone?
    Isn't he in jail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need someone that is good with tactics while players (especially DP's) respect him. I personally believe players (especially older ones) don't have respect for a guy like Vanney. Vanney seems like a great coach for a young team, but not a team that has some "world class" players.

We need establish coach who can handle pressure (coaching for TFC is probably most stress up job due to drama off-field and pressure of making it to the playoffs) which TFC never had before.

Also, this whole MLS/North America experience thing is overrate. End of the day, football is football. Hire best manager for the job who has a real track record of winning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Carlos Queiroz anyone?
    has a well paying gig with Iranian national team.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Also, this whole MLS/North America experience thing is overrate. End of the day, football is football. Hire best manager for the job who has a real track record of winning.
    pretty much every MLS team disagrees with you, and they know way more about MLS than you or me.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley do whatever needs to be done to get him here, if a guy like Bob Bradley can't change this club around then nobody can. Go get this guy I'm sure his son can convince his dad to come and coach, Bob Bradley will finally take this club to the promise land, let's go get him already please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    pretty much every MLS team disagrees with you, and they know way more about MLS than you or me.
    Here's a thing: how many experience MLS coaches with winning track record are out there? It's very small pool unless we steal MLS coach from another team like Seattle did back when they first came to the league.

TFC can't afford to wait and develop coaches anymore (like other teams in MLS) Given pressure and stress that comes with coaching TFC team, you need someone RIGHT NOW who can manage right out of the gate.

Time to try something different here! We need proper football manager who knows a thing or two about tactics and has done something in his career.

MLS isn't super unique league that football managers outside of NA can't mange unless you think non-NA are bunch of idiots. If you look at both Canadian and US national teams, they're both manage by foreigners not NA coaches.
    Last edited by TFC07; 10-20-2014 at 08:26 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a thing: how many experience MLS coaches with winning track record are out there? It's very small pool unless we steal MLS coach from another team like Seattle did back when they first came to the league.

TFC can't afford to wait and develop coaches anymore (like other teams in MLS) Given pressure and stress that comes with coaching TFC team, you need someone RIGHT NOW who can manage right out of the gate.

Time to try something different here! We need proper football manager who knows a thing or two about tactics and has done something in his career.

MLS isn't super unique league that football managers outside of NA can't mange unless you think non-NA are bunch of idiots. If you look at both Canadian and US national teams, they're both manage by foreigners not NA coaches.
    managing the national team is way different beast than a club team

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has a well paying gig with Iranian national team.
    What's a couple million to MLSE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

managing the national team is way different beast than a club team
    But they're managing NA players (at least half of them playing in MLS) who didn't have MLS/NA experience before being hired to manage their teams.

We don't necessary need "NA/MLS" coach, we just need a GOOD manager who can get most of his players right away especially amount of money TFC has invested. We need a coach with track record who can get players respect and buy into his plan.

TFC isn't like other MLS clubs, the amount of pressure of making it to the playoffs is going to keep on increasing until they finally make it.

Do you think inexperience coach can manage $100 million roster with pressure of making it to the playoffs in his first season? Why take that risk when you can hire someone who has been in similar stressful situation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To elaborate on my advocation for Queiroz I believe that he has the credentials to demand respect, the experience to work with players of such a wide spectrum of talent, intelligence and adaptability to understand the rules of MLS and the tactical nous to make average players look better than simply average. I'd also add that he's not the father of any of our players thus avoiding potential drama in the dressing room.

Also, if your going to spend 7 figures on a coach go big.

Edit: Vanney may also be able to develop as a coach under Queiroz immensely if he were to accept an assistant position.
    Last edited by portu; 10-20-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same Carlos Quieroz that managed the MetroStars and was awful for them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same Carlos Quieroz that managed the MetroStars and was awful for them?
    Of his 24 games he had there he still possessed a MUCH better winning % (50%) than Bradley (36%).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they're managing NA players (at least half of them playing in MLS) who didn't have MLS/NA experience before being hired to manage their teams.
    They don't have to deal with the rigours of MLS season with national teams. They only see their players like what, maybe few weeks every year?
    We don't necessary need "NA/MLS" coach, we just need a GOOD manager who can get most of his players right away especially amount of money TFC has invested. We need a coach with track record who can get players respect and buy into his plan.

TFC isn't like other MLS clubs, the amount of pressure of making it to the playoffs is going to keep on increasing until they finally make it.

Do you think inexperience coach can manage $100 million roster with pressure of making it to the playoffs in his first season? Why take that risk when you can hire someone who has been in similar stressful situation?
    I agree with you for most part. I'd be willing to give a proven foreign manager a shot, but with a GM who knows MLS well.

That's the thing. MLS is apparently so different a beast that most foreign managers who doesn't have MLS experience fail. It seems that the experience of managing an MLS club is so radically different that those who are already used to it end up faring better.

It's not just the tactics. It's the travel (and doesn't help that you're taking commercial most of the time). Time zone difference. Altitude. Climate. And it ends up with you have to be a very good man manager to get the best out of your players on the few training days per week that you do get. Not like hopping on a bus to go to a city few hours away. The traveling essentially eats up 2 days a week, and travel fatigue is different than game day fatigue.

Then you deal with the byzantine MLS rules, and unless you know them well, you won't be able to build your roster with the limit cap you have.

Hence why I think NA managers have an edge. They already know what it's like over here, and the culture shock of the league throw most foreign managers off. And why I think guys like Pareja and Carl Robinson will end up doing well, because they have the experience of playing outside MLS, but also have MLS experience as well.

If you can find a manager who is not only good tactically, but also adaptable and can tolerate a lot of shit, plus a good player manager, sure. Go ahead. But the odds are very, very slim.

-Eduardo Galeano