Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Seattle was having a MF link up problem early on (similar to ours) they went out and signed Pineda for 80K and he was a major part of their success up front this year.

Not recognizing that we needed to do something like that, and instead sticking with Bekker, was a huge gaffe this year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a big effort guy, but Bekker leaves plenty to be desired.

Not sure if the football iq thing rings true. Looks more to me like not giving a shit / a lot of teammates who are really bad at moving off the ball, particularly the wide players. You see Osorio and Bradley waiving their hands at guys pretty consistently because they have no understanding of where to be. Those wide spots need upgrading, badly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not a big effort guy, but Bekker leaves plenty to be desired.

Not sure if the football iq thing rings true. Looks more to me like not giving a shit / a lot of teammates who are really bad at moving off the ball, particularly the wide players. You see Osorio and Bradley waiving their hands at guys pretty consistently because they have no understanding of where to be. Those wide spots need upgrading, badly.
    Off the ball movement has been an issue and a reason for our futility for years and years now. Not been addressed by any of our recent managers including Vanney. I expect more static play next season until, but probably still after, manager #10 arrives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a word for those who think we need an upgrade on Bendik... take a look at Kronberg's mistake which just eliminated SKC from the playoffs. That's what an actual 2nd tier keeper looks like.

Bendik is plenty good enough for us to be successful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Just a word for those who think we need an upgrade on Bendik... take a look at Kronberg's mistake which just eliminated SKC from the playoffs. That's what an actual 2nd tier keeper looks like.

Bendik is plenty good enough for us to be successful.
    true but Bendik is barely able to provide that for us... he's no where near the quality of a steady keeper like a robles or a ousted.

if we see an opportunity to improve upon him then y not i dont think anybody truly believes that he should go unprotected in expansion or that he should be on the trade block

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's easily as good as both those guys if not better.

Robles for instance does things like this every so often:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik has had moments of brilliance this season, but he has also struggled with inconsistency. Given his young age, that is to be expected. I expect he will improve next season with another full season under his belt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Bendik has had moments of brilliance this season, but he has also struggled with inconsistency. Given his young age, that is to be expected. I expect he will improve next season with another full season under his belt.
    I think Bendik is the least of our problems right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I agree with this. Bendik is a serviceable MLS keeper.

We need to figure out our CB situations asap and add quality in the midfield (DM and CAM) to fit around Bradley.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like any decent young keeper, Bendik is a five year project. He`s only done 2 years so far, neither of which saw him as the probable starter entering the season. Needs 2 more years as `the man`to make a call on how good he will get.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Perhaps but if I was Bez I would take the highest ranked GK in the draft with one of my lower picks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chivas dispersal draft is December 1st.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CB watch: Montreal announced they will decline Matteo Ferrari and Futty Danso's contract options. Ferrari is an interesting case. Up there in age at 34 (same as Caldwell), but had a decently healthy season, playing 25 games and 2148 minutes (by comparison, Caldwell played 21 games and 1774 minutes). Led Montreal in interceptions and clearances per game, and was their 4th best player by WhoScored's ratings.

Issue with Ferrari is cap related, and that is the reason cited by Montreal for not re-signing him. He was on 355k according to the latest players' union numbers (Caldwell earned 364k). As a player over 23 years old with 3 years of MLS experience, Ferrari qualifies for the Re-Entry Draft and would be available at whatever his option salary is set at in his contract. Since Montreal did not pick it up we can assume it's probably hefty and likely around the 355k he earned last year.

Danso made 87k last year and also qualifies for the Re-Entry Draft. I wouldn't be interested in him though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick Sabetti says that Ferrari has called his own press conference for Saturday 1 pm. Either he's going to retire or he's going to vent about IMFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Nick Sabetti says that Ferrari has called his own press conference for Saturday 1 pm. Either he's going to retire or he's going to vent about IMFC.
    Matteo Ferrari@Matteo27Ferrari · 5h 5 hours ago Thank you all for your support. This is the nature of the sport. Tomorrow I will properly address the media regarding this situation..

Matteo Ferrari@Matteo27Ferrari · 5h 5 hours ago

..because I believe this is the right way for it to be done.

ya, I think something is up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bednik is a top keeper in terms of shot stopping, average at command of his box, dead-dead-dead last when it comes to distribution of the ball. That could be an issue under Vanney because he might want someone who can sweep the backline and provide a safe outlet (two things he's not great at). For a Nelsen type system he was fine, our backline played sooo deep there was no way the keeper would have been counted on to sweep up anything and playing out of the back was never a primary strategy.

Agreed, not the first area you change, but this new system will be asking a lot more out of Bednik than Nelsen's did. It's just like Adrian Cann from Preki one year to Winter the next. Everyone was raving about our defensive play but it was covering the fact we played with 9 men behind the ball most of the time. Style of play opens up, all of a sudden the defending goes from looking good to atrocious. So I'd tread with caution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone else notice in the year end interviews that Henry called the coaches "Ryan" and "Vanney" and DeRo did the exact opposite? Revealing about who was close to whom.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal cuts Ferrari for next year because he doesn't want to play for a losing club. Well he sure isn't coming here, then.

Niagara Region. Anywhere the RPB are Supporting TFC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    I agree with this. Bendik is a serviceable MLS keeper.

We need to figure out our CB situations asap and add quality in the midfield (DM and CAM) to fit around Bradley.
    This right here, we need like 3 MLS vets that can be starters .. CB, Wide, CAM even to go as far as 2 CBs 2 Wide and a striker as well