Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Toronto FC President Discussion Thread

Not a discussion about Vanney or Bez, or who should be the next manager or GM.

Here is the start of a list:

Bob Bradley - for obvious reasons, if Michael stays.

Bruce Arena (especially if LAG win MLS Cup) - he's 63, maybe he'd like to get away from the grind of coaching

Could either Dominic Kinnear or Garth Lagerway be enticed somehow?

Is Greg Anderson from the Whitecaps possible?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If BB comes, Michael can't stay because the same charges of nepotism will rear their head just like they did in New York.

BA plays 4-4-2 and I think TFC's players would be better played in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. I don't think he's the right choice since MLS is changing, especially with the raised Salary cap. Same goes for Kinnear.

I'd go with Garth Lagerway in a second. He gave Jason Kreis a chance and I bet he'd be able to tell if Vanney has the same potential.

I don't know Greg Anderson, how much influence does he have in Vancouver. I thought it was mostly Robinson who had the influence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradely rubs me the wrong way as a person. BUT I think he would be the perfect coach for this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the purpose of a president in this case? To insulate the manager from the board?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Bob Bradely rubs me the wrong way as a person. BUT I think he would be the perfect coach for this team.
    He's not going anywhere. They love him in Staebek and he figures he can get them into European competition within a few seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    What's the purpose of a president in this case? To insulate the manager from the board?
    It should be to articulate a consistent vision for the club, oversee hiring and firing of managers, and basically provide expertise in house regarding the game.

It prevents things like short term thinking ruining your academy or a desperate manager at the end of his rope blowing up your salary cap situation.

The names above sound more like GMs or English style managers to me, as opposed to a president, who should be hands off for the most part and dealing with the big picture, as opposed to roster decisions and other daily matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need outsider with solid reputation that will get both players (especially DP's) and coaches respect. Also, we need president to set the tone by creating a vision/culture how he wants the club to play and operate.

I personally don't think guys like Bradley and Defoe have any respect or take guys like Bez and Vanney seriously. If that's case, then we're doom to fail as a club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Not a discussion about Vanney or Bez, or who should be the next manager or GM.

Here is the start of a list:

Bob Bradley - for obvious reasons, if Michael stays.

Bruce Arena (especially if LAG win MLS Cup) - he's 63, maybe he'd like to get away from the grind of coaching

Could either Dominic Kinnear or Garth Lagerway be enticed somehow?

Is Greg Anderson from the Whitecaps possible?
    Kinnear is more than likely going home to San Jose. Houston has already given permission for talks and Kinnear is from there - all his family have been waiting for him to come home for a while.

Arena prez, Bradley coach. That's the only way they make up for the past with me 😃

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am scared of the concept of a President. I am not sure what they do.

The Leafs hired Shanahan as theirs. He has no experience as a "President", he reviewed and dished out suspensions and played the game. That's about the extent of his experience. If that's the case, I guess we are looking at Dichio, Brennan and Ricketts as our potential new President.

I personally don't think TL has any business in deciding a President considering his resignation. Therefore think that the season should start without one or until such time as he leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I would say yes, that is essentially the president's role. My vision of the president of this team is to basically have a similar role to Tom Anselmi (appoint managers and stay relatively uninvolved in day to day operations), except someone who actually knows what they're doing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The President and GM can be the same guy (that made sense with Payne), but aren't necessarily.

The President's main function is to unite the soccer and the business side - either to do the hiring and firing of the GM, or to do that job himself in exceptional circumstances, and to run the business side.

Bez cannot be a candidate, he really wasn't even a GM until Leiweke announced he was leaving, regardless of what the org chart said (the GM here was half Leiweke and half Nelsen, functionally, which is why Nelsen did what he did)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped this in another thread, but it belongs here ....

MLSE should reach out to Alan Rothenberg, ask him to put together a short list of suitable candidates for President of TFC.
    No one in North American soccer is better connected to the business of soccer than he.
    Bring in the likes of a Bob Gansler, and/or Tony Waiters to help MLSE hire the best candidate.
    Start at the top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sure there's some greenhorn in MLSE who needs some training. just hire him and be done with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I don't know Greg Anderson, how much influence does he have in Vancouver. I thought it was mostly Robinson who had the influence.
    The manager is not the man in most setups (although he can be, but Alex Ferguson was the exception)

They have a good setup out there in Vancouver, whatever you think of Lenarduzzi.

Anderson does the work, has for years. Lenarduzzi does the press conferences. Ownership (Kerfoot) is involved, but behind the scenes only. (Southsiders seem pretty happy with the setup and with Anderson)

Robinson is just the manager, not part of the power structure.

I'm intrigued by Anderson. These guys have picked our pockets multiple times (Teibert, Hassli, Laba). Plus Anderson knows Canada.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-13-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLSE can entice Greg Andersen, that would be a good setup. How about Caleb Porter as president?? Or Sigi from Seattle. Sigi may want a higher position as i don't see him being a coach forever. Doesn't Toronto have a Bobby L equivalent?? There must be a Mr Soccer Ontario that can do be the president. For a coach next season, why doesn't TFC chase Martin Rennie. He at least guided the Caps to the playoffs. Seems like this off-season alot of issues need to be addressed. Lieweke's high price band-aid didn't work. Why not try getting journeyman players next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have similar reservations about hiring a manager as a president as I would with appointing a player as a coach. It might be hard for some of these guys to go from being the guy who calls all the shots to being the boss of the guy who calls the shots, and not get too involved. And by that I mean are they able to give the manager the freedom he needs to do his job?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I would have similar reservations about hiring a manager as a president as I would with appointing a player as a coach. It might be hard for some of these guys to go from being the guy who calls all the shots to being the boss of the guy who calls the shots, and not get too involved. And by that I mean are they able to give the manager the freedom he needs to do his job?
    Very true.

The other knock on this move is that these guys really have the skill set for the business side, which is why they need a Bez.

I might be OK with a new President/GM keeping Bez, so long as he quietly took away Bez' newly found fire/hire authority over managers.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes. But what about the President / GM after the next one ? And the one after them ? Who will they be ?

Let's keep those turnstiles clicking folks.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Very true.

The other knock on this move is that these guys really have the skill set for the business side, which is why they need a Bez.

I might be OK with a new President/GM keeping Bez, so long as he quietly took away Bez' newly found fire/hire authority over managers.
    Bez is not going to be just a bean counter. TFC will have to fire Bez and get someone else with Bez like skills
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano