Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope it was Gilberto that busted up Defoe. Defoe now injured and can't play. Gilberto gets the boot for doing something so terrible. #tfc!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    I hope it was Gilberto that busted up Defoe. Defoe "now injured" and "can't play." Gilberto gets the boot for doing something so terrible. #tfc!
    Defoe "now injured" and "can't play."

Fixed it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Defoe "now injured" and "can't play."

Fixed it.
    What I was thinking...haha. How many times have we seen that in the sports world....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crap, just came to me who Defoe has reminded me of all season. Anyone remember Morris Day and the Time doing the bird dance????

Last edited by FRANKIE65; 10-17-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    What I was thinking...haha. How many times have we seen that in the sports world....
    He might be really injured. Just seems pretty convenient in terms of protecting him against an injury with essentially nothing to play for as the sale goes through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rewatch this video. That wasn't a soccer ball they were ripping back and forth.

That was our hearts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    thing about Keane and Henry is they had both been captains before they came here. Both had leadership qualities as well as ability. Neither Gilberto or Defoe have that leadership aspect to their game. Defoe is moody as we know. Compare Gilberto's movement to either Henry or Keane, there is an ecomony to their movement, in that they don't gallop all over the pitch as Gilberto does, but when they make a run, it is significant, impactful. Not saying Gilberto doesn't make good runs at times, but there is a headless chicken aspect at times to his game. It might seem cruel to compare him with Keane and Henry, but he's a DP, he's in with the big boys now. Some might say Henry doesn't move as much now due to age, and there is probably an element to that, but he was never as rampant with his runs as Gilberto. Keane has never been a big runner even when younger. I appreciate Gilberto is a big fav on here with the majority, and I do like him, I just don't think we've got enough out of him for the outlay and I think some of the praise he gets is way OTT. Service has been poor to him in fairness and it's his first season in a new league also. Next season he may well excel and at that time he'll get my praise wholeheartedly, but for this season, he's done okay.
    You're kidding right? I had season tickets to Coventry when Keane was there, and he was all over the park, and not chicken with his head cut off. Was pure class and one of the best players I have ever watched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ukpubboy View Post
    You're kidding right? I had season tickets to Coventry when Keane was there, and he was all over the park, and not chicken with his head cut off. Was pure class and one of the best players I have ever watched.
    Didn't say he was a chicken with his head cut off- read the post.
    I'm Irish and I have been following Keane since he played in Irish schoolboy teamss, he had 1 season at Coventry if I recall correctly. Of course he is class, he's my countries record goal scorer, that was the gist of my post. He hasn't though been a big runner, I wasn't criticising him for that, I was actually praising him in how his runs are effective, in comparison with a lot of, not all Gilberto's running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An interesting comment on Doug Smith's sports blog at the Star. He's saying that Defoe is probably one of the biggest busts in Toronto sports history, just behind Hakeem Olajuwon of the Raptors. Can't say I fault his logic. Here's the link:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...ur_no__1_.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the thing that makes him the biggest bust is the feeling of disappointment that he gave up on the team and wants/wanted to leave. It's not based on his play or fitness. Injuries happen, and he played well for the most part. He comes across like a bit of a prostitute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats unfair.
    Biggest bust still top scorer.....
    Who said he wants to leave?
    Did Defoe say he wants out?
    This bullshit ripping on Defoe is a joke and probably something that will drive him away....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    the thing that makes him the biggest bust is the feeling of disappointment that he gave up on the team and wants/wanted to leave. It's not based on his play or fitness. Injuries happen, and he played well for the most part. He comes across like a bit of a prostitute.
    Jermain DeHoe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    Thats unfair.
    This bullshit ripping on Defoe is a joke and probably something that will drive him away....
    I have to agree... Jermain Defoe, as is, the player, & his production personally, is NOT the biggest bust, or even one of, the biggest busts in Toronto sports history...

Now, the entire 'BLOODY BIG DEAL' being Defoe, Bradley, 3rd DP Gilberto, Dero returns, promise of playoffs, $100 million, why can't we be great proclamation = that entire product together definitely IS the biggest bust in Toronto sports history...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he did sign a 5 year contract right? Not even completing one full year on the term and missing more than 50% of games makes him sort of a bust hype wise.
    Last edited by Richard; 10-21-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats unfair.
    sorry was it not almost common knowledge that he would have preferred to go back to England? It was also reported that QPR had agreed to terms with Defoe only to have TFC (or MLS who really knows) not to let the transfer go through.

Also what the hell was the whole 'rehabbing in England" bullshit? Don't tell me he couldn't have rehabbed his injury properly here in toronto. Besides it was such a crucial part of the season for the team that just having him with the rest of the team for moral support would have probably made a huge difference.

Did defoe say he wants out? Lol. Did he say he doesn't? Rumours were abound and rampant and he didn't say one reassuring thing about his future here. I think it's pretty obvious he's driving himself away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    Now, the entire 'BLOODY BIG DEAL' being Defoe, Bradley, 3rd DP Gilberto, Dero returns, promise of playoffs, $100 million, why can't we be great proclamation = that entire product together definitely IS the biggest bust in Toronto sports history...

Carts...
    no last years Blue jays were the biggest bust by that criteria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't link it because it's blocked at work, but there is a Gilberto video up with a pretty decent denial he's looking to leave. His first answer in the video about looking to build for the future and not looking at just this year was fairly unprompted. Who's the douche who asks questions to the translator instead of talking to Gilberto, and is always trying to dig up controversy? That guy is annoying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-m...fc-toronto-fc/

He doesnt seem to be too committal in this interview by John Molinaro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's from the same interview. Watch the video and it comes across in a totally different context (paraphrasing):

Reporter 1: Was this a disappointing season, both personally because of injuries, and because TFC not making the playoffs?

Gilberto: It was only one year, we just put this group together, and there are lots of positives to take into next season. I like it here and hope we do better next year.

John Molinaro: There are reports he wants out? Does he want out?

Gilberto: No. Happy here.

John Molinaro: But I heard he wants out. Does he?

Gilberto: The season isn't even over. Screw off.... err, I mean it's not up to me if I stay, (I already told you I like it here) if the management wants me out, I don't get a choice.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question worth asking; but not a second time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats unfair.
    From today's Star:
    >Defoe, whose future with the club has been up in the air since Toronto turned down a club-record transfer bid for him at the end of the last transfer window, declined to speak to reporters Tuesday.

If he wanted to stay, I struggle to believe he wouldn't happily talk to reporters .... and share this with them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats unfair.
    Dude, he wants out. He signed personal terms with QPR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    no last years Blue jays were the biggest bust by that criteria.
    Good call... Forgot about all that hype, the Vegas odds, SI pumping their tires etc...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Dude, he wants out. He signed personal terms with QPR.
    he cant sign anything as hes under contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and my point is, hes not a bust. How can he be?
    Hes the top scorer on this team...he scored goals.
    he may be unhappy, he is probably homesick....you may be angry at that, but a bust?
    Come on.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he may be unhappy, he is probably homesick....you may be angry at that, but a bust?
    Come on.....
    Not a 100% Mista level bust but I would expect more than 11 goals for $6M. Add in the unrest, pouting, transfer crap, and now him likely leaving after just 19 matches played and yeah, I say bust too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come on.....
    bust is not the right word.

But he has been a clear disappointment if for no other reason than his poor character.
    His play has been fine, but when it's pretty clear he doesn't want to be here, then signing him has been a failure and that's his own doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His behavior disrupted the entire team and probably led to both Tim L and Nelsen being canned. Yes, he's a bust. Enormous. You can score eleven goals and be a bust if you do more harm than good. Even fans of other teams are telling him to Fuck off online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    His behavior disrupted the entire team and probably led to both Tim L and Nelsen being canned. Yes, he's a bust. Enormous. You can score eleven goals and be a bust if you do more harm than good. Even fans of other teams are telling him to Fuck off online.
    Lolz. Funny that you (not only you) recognize his disruptive behaviour now but God forbid i make a thread on it during the actual disruption.

Anyway, bust in terms of goals/game maybe not even tho his last 2 games he didn't give a shit but probably the biggest major DP bust in MLS. He's here for half a season and wants out - bloody big bust..gtfo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bust was the entire season and promises that came with all the season tickets purchased. Lets see how may people buy again. Personally I had great hope early on as did most others but was concerned about depth. I hope he stays and we get some workable parts including a reliable CB