RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin d
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    fixed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really need to make a push for the playoffs? Wouldn't that just give us a false sense of accomplishment? Whether DC, KC, RSL, and now the Galaxy, we can't compete with the best teams in the league. We scratch and claw to get any types of points against the weaker teams.

It's likely much better if we finish 6th in the East, and close the gap in the offseason. Finishing 5th and getting creamed in the playoffs just allows a few to pat themselves on the back for getting into the playoffs.

Prediction -
    Beat Houston
    Lose NY
    Tie Montreal
    New England game won't matter (tie at most anyway)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Do we really need to make a push for the playoffs? Wouldn't that just give us a false sense of accomplishment? Whether DC, KC, RSL, and now the Galaxy, we can't compete with the best teams in the league. We scratch and claw to get any types of points against the weaker teams.
    Agreed. There's no fucking point. Might as well pack it in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/in...waterloo-r4883

TFC USL team in Waterloo? Barry MacLean in charge? oh noes...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/in...waterloo-r4883

TFC USL team in Waterloo? Barry MacLean in charge? oh noes...
    How could they ever refuse ? It'll feel like they win when they lose.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's likely much better if we finish 6th in the East, and close the gap in the offseason. Finishing 5th and getting creamed in the playoffs just allows a few to pat themselves on the back for getting into the playoffs.

Prediction -
    Beat Houston
    Lose NY
    Tie Montreal
    New England game won't matter (tie at most anyway)
    So you'd rather they lose so they can focus on the offseason, because winning would just distract them from improving the team? Pretty sure we can do both win and work on the team in the offseason. Are you going to let them feel " Job Done " for getting in and dropping out of the playoffs first round?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beauty of playoffs............ Anyone who makes it can upset their way to an MLS Cup Championship...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    The beauty of playoffs............ Anyone who makes it can upset their way to an MLS Cup Championship...
    Houston made the two straight MLS Cup finals by catching fire at the right time.

If, say, we win or go undefeated in our next 4 games we'd be rolling in to the playoffs with some serious momentum.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I said

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    How could they ever refuse ? It'll feel like they win when they lose.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Houston made the two straight MLS Cup finals by catching fire at the right time.

If, say, we win or go undefeated in our next 4 games we'd be rolling in to the playoffs with some serious momentum.
    It is a BIG IF, however, we like your prediction.
    J&M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garcia and Garrido getting called to Honduran team ... (epic fist-pump)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    So you'd rather they lose so they can focus on the offseason, because winning would just distract them from improving the team? Pretty sure we can do both win and work on the team in the offseason. Are you going to let them feel " Job Done " for getting in and dropping out of the playoffs first round?
    I wouldn't prefer them to lose, they should go out and compete to win each game. My thoughts are that it might be best if they fall a tad short. If they're going to compete for this season in preparation for next, then start the guys that you expect to be starting next year. If that's Dike and Gilberto up top, then do that now. It's obviously not as black and white as that and there's plenty of counter points, but those are my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    It's shameful that it can happen that way. You're the 10th best team in a league of 19, been sloppy and inconsistent all year, and then win 4 in a row and you're the best? Not that college football is the greatest example, but having the conference champions (those that showed consistency and high winning percentage year long) compete for the top spot is the way to go... the best of the best only get to claim that prize. Again, just my thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont buy the best if they fall short.
    Even if we get a raw deal on a matchup at least they get a taste of the postseason and gives them that drive to go farther.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one am interested in extending our season at home by a match or two!! If things are going well, winning at home, at BMO, nothing beats it.
    RPB has Obama'ed me

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't prefer them to lose, they should go out and compete to win each game. My thoughts are that it might be best if they fall a tad short. If they're going to compete for this season in preparation for next, then start the guys that you expect to be starting next year. If that's Dike and Gilberto up top, then do that now. It's obviously not as black and white as that and there's plenty of counter points, but those are my feelings.

It's shameful that it can happen that way. You're the 10th best team in a league of 19, been sloppy and inconsistent all year, and then win 4 in a row and you're the best? Not that college football is the greatest example, but having the conference champions (those that showed consistency and high winning percentage year long) compete for the top spot is the way to go... the best of the best only get to claim that prize. Again, just my thoughts.
    These 2 responses seem counteractive to me. I've said elsewhere how much I don't need playoffs in my league for a large part for the reason you state but that would lead to a team to do their best till the end of the season. 11th is better than 12th and I want the players to feel that.

What you propose goes more with the NA playoffs system where the total games won in a season doesn't matter as much as "sneakin' into the playoffs" to "go on a run and win it all". Otherwise lose on purpose to get the awesome first round pick. What's the tired expression for that again? I know I've heard it a million times in reference to the Leafs...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bah.

a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha