Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Competing for playoffs: The Other Team's Games thread

Here are the next few critical games for TFC's competitors for a playoff spot:

Oct 2, 8PM Philly vs. Chicago. On TSN 5.
    We want Chicago to win, or for them to tie. Philly is just behind TFC in the standings and could pull ahead with a win.

Oct 4 6PM NYRB vs. Houston. MLS Live.
    A NY loss would be best, a tie may be acceptable.This is the most important game by another team.

Oct 4 7:30PM, Revs vs. Columbus. MLS Live.
    A Columbus win or a tie would be bad. We need the Revs to win.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job on starting this thread...I've certainly been finding myself more interested in other league games the past few weeks, and especially those that impact our playoff chances.

That time of year when you try not to feel guilty for rooting for other teams

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/schedule?mo..._schedule_form

lots of intriguing games this week
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

That time of year when you try not to feel guilty for rooting for other teams
    I will never feel guilty for cheering against the Krew.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sept 30

Eastern Conference

# Club PTS GP PPG W L T GF GA GD HG HGD RG RGD
    1 D.C. United 51 30 1.7 15 9 6 46 34 12 26 15 20 -3
    2 New England Revolution 45 30 1.5 14 13 3 44 42 2 25 12 19 -10
    3 Sporting Kansas City 45 30 1.5 13 11 6 45 37 8 23 4 22 4
    4 Columbus Crew 43 30 1.43 11 9 10 43 36 7 25 11 18 -4
    5 New York Red Bulls 41 30 1.37 10 9 11 48 46 2 33 14 15 -12
    6 Toronto FC 40 29 1.38 11 11 7 42 45 -3 23 2 19 -5
    7 Philadelphia Union 38 30 1.27 9 10 11 45 44 1 25 4 20 -3
    8 Houston Dynamo 36 29 1.24 10 13 6 35 50 -15 25 5 10 -20
    9 Chicago Fire 31 29 1.07 5 8 16 37 45 -8 20 1 17 -9
    10 Montreal Impact 24 30 0.8 6 18 6 34 54 -20 21 0 13 -20
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Western Conference

# Club PTS GP PPG W L T GF GA GD HG HGD RG RGD
    1 x - Seattle Sounders FC 57 30 1.9 18 9 3 57 46 11 29 14 28 -3
    2 x - LA Galaxy 57 30 1.9 16 5 9 63 31 32 39 27 24 5
    3 Real Salt Lake 49 30 1.63 13 7 10 50 38 12 29 15 21 -3
    4 FC Dallas 48 30 1.6 14 10 6 52 40 12 31 12 21 0
    5 Vancouver Whitecaps 40 30 1.33 9 8 13 38 40 -2 24 5 14 -7
    6 Portland Timbers 39 30 1.3 9 9 12 54 51 3 31 3 23 0
    7 Colorado Rapids 32 30 1.07 8 14 8 41 54 -13 25 9 16 -22
    8 San Jose Earthquakes 29 29 1 6 12 11 34 42 -8 20 1 14 -9
    9 Chivas USA 24 30 0.8 6 18 6 25 58 -33 10 -19 15 -14

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would I be correct in assuming that the team finishing 4th plays at home against the 5th place team in the one game knock-out?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Would I be correct in assuming that the team finishing 4th plays at home against the 5th place team in the one game knock-out?
    yes

MLS Cup Playoffs 2014, presented by AT&T schedule:
    Conference Knockout Round

• Wed-Thurs, Oct. 29-30

Conference Semifinals

• Leg 1, Sat-Sun, Nov. 1-2
    • Leg 2, Sat-Sun, Nov. 8-9

Conference Championships

• Leg 1, Sat-Sun, Nov. 22-23
    • Leg 2, Sat-Sun., Nov. 29-30

MLS Cup Final

• 3 pm ET, Sun., Dec. 7

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is the scoreboard watching thread ... Don't forget the CCL race.

Oct 4

Whitecaps FC v
    FC Dallas

Oct 10

Sounders FC v
    Whitecaps FC

Oct 18

SJ Earthquake v
    Whitecaps FC

Oct 25

Whitecaps FC v
    Colorado Rapids
    Last edited by ensco; 10-01-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can certainly use some help from the out of town scoreboard, but at least the players have put themselves in a position wherein they control their own destiny. If we take care of business the rest of the way, everything will fall into place.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Oct 4 7:30PM, Revs vs. Columbus. MLS Live.
    A Columbus win or a tie would be bad. We need the Revs to win.
    Would a draw really be so bad? Other than Columbus getting points of course...

If we win our game in hand, we're level on points with the Crew and only 2 back from the Revs who are sitting in 2nd. And with our final game of the season against the Revs a draw between these 2 could give us an outside shot at 2nd in the conference and the home field advantage that comes with it at least for the conference semis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    We can certainly use some help from the out of town scoreboard, but at least the players have put themselves in a position wherein they control their own destiny. If we take care of business the rest of the way, everything will fall into place.
    Agreed! Those three points against Portland were key!!!

Strap yourselves in boys and girls, this is going to be one hell of a ride

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Would a draw really be so bad? Other than Columbus getting points of course...

If we win our game in hand, we're level on points with the Crew and only 2 back from the Revs who are sitting in 2nd. And with our final game of the season against the Revs a draw between these 2 could give us an outside shot at 2nd in the conference and the home field advantage that comes with it at least for the conference semis.
    If the Crew draw and we win, they will be 1 point ahead of us, which could end up shutting us out of the playoffs. Yes, it's a problem, let's not worry about second place advantage, let's just get in.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-01-2014 at 11:32 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Hey, I recognize that gunning for top 2 isn't as much a priority as making the playoffs. I'm just pointing out that is we win our game in hand we're just 2 points off of 2nd place, so at the end of the year this game ending in a draw may end up being the best result we can ask for (or, like you pointed out, could be the point that kills us).

Also might be a good time to remind everyone of tiebreaking procedures, just in case we're level with anyone after the last whistle.

1. Most wins
    2. Goal differential (GD)
    3. Goals for (GF)
    4. Fewest disciplinary points (foul - one point, first yellow card - three points, second yellow card (resulting in red card) - five points, straight red card - six points, disciplinary committee suspension - six points)
    5. Road goals
    6. Road goal differential
    7. Home goals
    8. Home goal differential
    9. Coin toss (two teams) or drawing of lots (three or more)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    ^^ Hey, I recognize that gunning for top 2 isn't as much a priority as making the playoffs. I'm just pointing out that is we win our game in hand we're just 2 points off of 2nd place, so at the end of the year this game ending in a draw may end up being the best result we can ask for (or, like you pointed out, could be the point that kills us).
    Hosting the second game is nice, but not really a huge deal. But it is worth it to get a top 3 seed to avoid the play-in game. Based on this we need to go at least 4-1 to have a shot at the 2nd seed, so that's going to be tough. But 3rd is within reach if we win 3 games the rest of the way.

By the way 2 wins and 2 draws pretty much guarantees us the playoffs. The crucial game will of course be against the Red Bulls. If we lose to them it's going to be very hard to make it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again a game in New York could be the decider. Not sure I like that....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Uh boy! Good point...

For all us superstitious folks out there - wherever you were watching that fateful NY game many years ago......WATCH SOMEWHERE DIFFERENT!

"...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    Uh boy! Good point...

For all us superstitious folks out there - wherever you were watching that fateful NY game many years ago......WATCH SOMEWHERE DIFFERENT!

Also do whatever you've been doing the last two home games. I quit wearing my shirt for a while, but have worn it the last two. That's why we've won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“This is one of those weeks where you have to look at three games," Vanney said. “We have a game in hand, and the Galaxy is our one Western Conference foe in the upcoming matches, so for me, it’s not the most critical match out there. For me, this is a game where we go and we have nothing to lose. We take our chances and see what we can come away with. The games that we really are looking at that we need to win are our Eastern Conference games down the stretch. If we do that, we’ll be in good shape.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/10/01/jermain-defoe-close-ready-playoff-hopefuls-toronto-final-month-season-begins

Vanney seems to writing off the LA game due to the amount of games coming up.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    “This is one of those weeks where you have to look at three games," Vanney said. “We have a game in hand, and the Galaxy is our one Western Conference foe in the upcoming matches, so for me, it’s not the most critical match out there. For me, this is a game where we go and we have nothing to lose. We take our chances and see what we can come away with. The games that we really are looking at that we need to win are our Eastern Conference games down the stretch. If we do that, we’ll be in good shape.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/10/01/jermain-defoe-close-ready-playoff-hopefuls-toronto-final-month-season-begins

He's managing expectations in case we lose IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“ For me, this is a game where we go and we have nothing to lose. We take our chances and see what we can come away with. http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/10/01/jermain-defoe-close-ready-playoff-hopefuls-toronto-final-month-season-begins

I like the part of his quote that I left in here. Go in with guns blazing!! Everybody expects us to lose, so, attack. It's when the lads sit back, piss around in their own half, and, play scared that they run into defensive trouble.
    On the other hand, look at the last ten minutes of the Chicago game, and, the second half of the Portland game. That is how they need to START this time!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh boy! Good point...

Well even if you were at that disappointing rainy evening at the Meadowlands like and are attending the game on October 11th, it will be somewhere different, Red Bull Arena. Giants Stadium is a distant memory.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also do whatever you've been doing the last two home games. I quit wearing my shirt for a while, but have worn it the last two. That's why we've won.
    B'ahahah I slacked off with going to the gym; my return has coincided with our last couple wins (been keeping it going).

Sorry, guys. I'll keep on that. xD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh.. for me, he recognizes how potent a threat they pose, and he knows that, if we're too weary, it will show, with every touch.

This just deflates the pressure, a bit, as you say; they can play with freedom, and I think that's when we're at our best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be interesting if New England were so far ahead and clinched by the final game, that they rested players.

A boy can dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cahill, Miller and Oyongo called up for internationals next week. NY in negotiations but seems likely all 3 will miss the game against us. This would be very welcome if correct.
    And while we are searching for anything that would help us, a yellow card for Ricardo Clark against the Red Bulls would mean he would be suspended for the game against us a week today. And 3 of Houston's midfield have been called up for the internationals too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got really drunk both games - so I guess I'm gonna have to do the same from here on out!

TOUGH! But for the team - I'll do it!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got really drunk both games - so I guess I'm gonna have to do the same from here on out!

TOUGH! But for the team - I'll do it!
    It would be wrong and selfish of you to not get trashed at the rest of our home games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8PM tonight, Oct 2! This is the first of these matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    8PM tonight, Oct 2! This is the first of these matches.
    If Philly lose they are all but out.