Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Garber "new strategy for Canada"

He said it in his intro to the new logo. Canadians as domestics on US clubs?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's been rumours about that domestic change.

One other idea I'd like to see - maybe work together with the CSA to create a Canadian Shield trophy from games between the 3 teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

One other idea I'd like to see - maybe work together with the CSA to create a Canadian Shield trophy from games between the 3 teams.
    Get rid of that stupid artificial, manufactured trillium cup. Replace with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V's Cup is basically that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    V's Cup is basically that.
    Yep that's basically what the VCup is in its current format.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was suggesting do it within MLS games....like Cascadia. I know, Cascadia was supporter driven, as is VCup. But, I'd rather win a tin cup against the VC's and the Limpacts then a tin cup against the guys in yellow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost forgot how important this year is for finishing above Montreal and Vancouver.

Because there isn't the VC next year, we have to finish above the Whitecaps to gain entry into the CCL.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be tough to do with an unbalanced schedule. Vancouver would play two games: one at home and one away. Toronto and Montreal would (usually) play 4 games: 3 against each other and one against Vancouver. I don't know if the schedulers make sure that if (for instance) TFC plays the Limp-act twice at home and once away, it would also play the WhiteCraps away.

Another wrinkle is that we only play the Limp-Act twice this year.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if MLS will try to set up some sort of Canadian league before NASL does. I'm sorry for being cynical, but Garber's comments strike me as being more about beating down a competing league than helping Canada with their soccer development. He could have addressed this years ago if he really wanted to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I wonder if MLS will try to set up some sort of Canadian league before NASL does. I'm sorry for being cynical, but Garber's comments strike me as being more about beating down a competing league than helping Canada with their soccer development. He could have addressed this years ago if he really wanted to.
    If you read 24th minute article, it mentions CSA might team up with SUM's rival (Traffic Sports) to create Canadian NASL/1A league and bid for World Cup 2026.

So things might get interesting in next few years how this plays out. MLS/SUM is going to have some competition if CSA and Traffic Sports decide to team up.
    Last edited by TFC07; 09-19-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    I almost forgot how important this year is for finishing above Montreal and Vancouver.

Because there isn't the VC next year, we have to finish above the Whitecaps to gain entry into the CCL.
    There is a voyageurs cup next year but it qualifies you for the following years CCL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make Americans and Canadians domestic players leaguewide. This should have been the case from the day they decided to accept expansion fees from clubs outside the United States.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The big issue for attracting domestic talent is in ensuring that talented athletes stick with soccer and not choose hockey or other sports. Seems like all the "elite" programs require kids to choose at an early age as they have 10-11 month training programs.

Soccer needs to offer something more. We all know the starting MLS wages are very very low compared to other sports. But it is more than that. For every Morgan or Henry that makes it, there are hundreds or thousands that don't. Either because of skill, politics, injury or a combination.

The odds of making it in soccer or any sport are slim. So, what's the fall back? Baseball, Basketball and to some extent hockey have paths that go through a College Degree. A free ride so to speak that serves as an insurance plan.

Soccer is emphasizing Academies. Maybe some with NCAA partnerships maybe some without.

But as a non reckless parent, I wouldn't sign up for anything that didn't include an education.

Maybe the Academies need to operate like the Military. Get your education in enhange for time. Give us 4 years (starting at U14). We will give you a free University Education either upon your release at 18 or put the funds in a reserve account for you after you retire from professional soccer.

If the "cap" is going up by $1M or more a team per year a program like this is highly fundable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The big issue for attracting domestic talent is in ensuring that talented athletes stick with soccer and not choose hockey or other sports. Seems like all the "elite" programs require kids to choose at an early age as they have 10-11 month training programs.

Soccer needs to offer something more. We all know the starting MLS wages are very very low compared to other sports. But it is more than that. For every Morgan or Henry that makes it, there are hundreds or thousands that don't. Either because of skill, politics, injury or a combination.

The odds of making it in soccer or any sport are slim. So, what's the fall back? Baseball, Basketball and to some extent hockey have paths that go through a College Degree. A free ride so to speak that serves as an insurance plan.

Soccer is emphasizing Academies. Maybe some with NCAA partnerships maybe some without.

But as a non reckless parent, I wouldn't sign up for anything that didn't include an education.

Maybe the Academies need to operate like the Military. Get your education in enhange for time. Give us 4 years (starting at U14). We will give you a free University Education either upon your release at 18 or put the funds in a reserve account for you after you retire from professional soccer.

If the "cap" is going up by $1M or more a team per year a program like this is highly fundable.
    thats how major junior hockey works. You get a scholarship $ for university after you finish your junior hockey career. They had to provide this to compete against the Jr.A/NCCA route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    thats how major junior hockey works. You get a scholarship $ for university after you finish your junior hockey career. They had to provide this to compete against the Jr.A/NCCA route.

That is genius and exactly what needs to happen in MLS.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all good, Gentlemen. Talking about the future of the game in this country. The Academy system is one that prepares kids for NCAA unless they get signed to an overseas or MLS club. That's what it will remain until the long process of building the Academy system as the norm is solidified and re enforced with that CSA national league. The league, which does not and will not compare itself to an American counterpart in the pyramid would serve as a more successful replacement for Div 3 or 4.

The relationship between MLS and this league obviously hasn't really begun but I don't believe MLS could quash this idea if they wanted to -or- that this league would affect how many Canadians would end up in MLS or NASL. Those will be top banana's for kids here for another generation.

Let's get this league off the ground first. 8 teams means they need to be as competitive and entertaining as possible. We already see the challenge for authenticity another 8 team league has in this country...

This all taken in context with the CSA meeting a week ago. I'll let everyone know if it happens next year as they plan but it will be a busy summer...
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 09-21-2014 at 05:58 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do we need our "own league"?

Why not focusing on removing Canadians as internationals on American teams, and increase the number of quality professional teams in the NASL, and USLpro? (MLS is a longshot)

I honestly think this should be the main focus, with the emphasis on creating professional academies (as we have seen the affect it has on our YNT's and MNT). If not we'll create a league that will definitely have powerhouses and minnows and I couldn't see it lasting.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahinho_Guerro View Post
    Why do we need our "own league"?

Why not focusing on removing Canadians as internationals on American teams, and increase the number of quality professional teams in the NASL, and USLpro? (MLS is a longshot)

I honestly think this should be the main focus, with the emphasis on creating professional academies (as we have seen the affect it has on our YNT's and MNT). If not we'll create a league that will definitely have powerhouses and minnows and I couldn't see it lasting.
    Why? Well, if we take pride out of it, how about FIFA wants us to? If you ever want a game here (and I don't. I'd prefer a whole tournament but the same applies) FIFA want the country hosting its events to have it own league not competing in a foreign one.

Removing titles like international and domestic in somebody else's league is not a full time job and goes as far as a request, then what? Lobby for buyers of teams of leagues that aren't that big to begin with.

Your request on Academy level is precisely what they are looking to help bridge to the professional game with this league proposal.

It's only the uninitiated looking at this league as a possibility to rival MLS, NASL. This league will be aimed at the kids trying to keep playing after the academy age and stay competitive for the Top of the US soccer pyramid.

As to your misgiving on how unbalanced a league would be I'd point at the CFL numbers of teams and the model of MLS single entity stability that would prevent your scenario.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada needs their own league or very at least have all their major cities with pro soccer teams if we ever want to develop Canadian players and hope to qualify for World Cup one day.

Right now, lack of professional soccer league is killing Canada's player pool. The American way developing their players through college soccer isn't long term solution for Canadian players which many of them probably rather stay at home and make money playing soccer than get free education in the states.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Canada needs their own league or very at least have all their major cities with pro soccer teams if we ever want to develop Canadian players and hope to qualify for World Cup one day.

Right now, lack of professional soccer league is killing Canada's player pool. The American way developing their players through college soccer isn't long term solution for Canadian players which many of them probably rather stay at home and make money playing soccer than get free education in the states.
    Many, that is, most, still enter the American system NCAA. The academy system is working in tandem with it. Players want to play but Canadian kids agree with their parents who want them to get an education before they aim to get an entry level MLS job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Many, that is, most, still enter the American system NCAA. The academy system is working in tandem with it. Players want to play but Canadian kids agree with their parents who want them to get an education before they aim to get an entry level MLS job.
    That BS.

Only kids who aren't good enough to sign with first team or play in Europe end up going to NCAA. We all know that! I highly doubt most of talented kids will choose NCAA over professional soccer.

If Canadian league does form, except more Canadian kids to pick professional soccer over NCAA.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That BS.

Only kids who aren't good enough to sign with first team or play in Europe end up going to NCAA. We all know that! I highly doubt most of talented kids will choose NCAA over professional soccer.

If Canadian league does form, except more Canadian kids to pick professional soccer over NCAA.
    That not BS

If you think there are more Canadians in Europe than in the NCAA that is a world I'd like to live in. Please prove me wrong and give me some numbers on that and I'll celebrate it.

And forming a league of own is one of the primary initiatives to prevent the talent drain south. That's a given.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That BS.

really. you should ask Cyle Larin or Tesho Akindele why they chose NCAA over pro soccer at 18-19
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    That not BS

If you think there are more Canadians in Europe than in the NCAA that is a world I'd like to live in. Please prove me wrong and give me some numbers on that and I'll celebrate it.

And forming a league of own is one of the primary initiatives to prevent the talent drain south. That's a given.
    Again, Canadian players in NCAA aren't good enough to play in Europe or play domestically at home (MLS or NASL). That's reason why they go to NCAA! It has nothing to do with their parents forcing to choose NCAA over professional soccer. It has to do with quality of these players.

Once a pro league is form, then these kids would have another option where they don't have to go to NCAA to play after their academy careers are over. Not only that, but quality of these players will get better because they're playing more soccer under professional coaches than they will at college while making money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    really. you should ask Cyle Larin or Tesho Akindele why they chose NCAA over pro soccer at 18-19
    Did any of MLS clubs offer them contract before they decided to go to NCAA? If not, then that proves my point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, Canadian players in NCAA aren't good enough to play in Europe or play domestically at home (MLS or NASL)....
    Or are just making other life choices.

The idea that the best players always turn pro is a myth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or are just making other life choices.

The idea that the best players always turn pro is a myth.
    Care to give an example of Canadian kid turning down pro soccer contract over NCAA? I am sure there are some rare cases, but reality is that most of these kids decide to go to NCAA because they have no other option out there.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, Canadian players in NCAA aren't good enough to play in Europe or play domestically at home (MLS or NASL). That's reason why they go to NCAA! It has nothing to do with their parents forcing to choose NCAA over professional soccer. It has to do with quality of these players.

Once a pro league is form, then these kids would have another option where they don't have to go to NCAA to play after their academy careers are over. Not only that, but quality of these players will get better because they're playing more soccer under professional coaches than they will at college while making money.
    Yes it does. I talk from experience. There are examples around you. I don't like it any more than you do but to change it you have to at least acknowledge what is happening. Kids go to the NCAA because it's the North American standard for all sport. This country has been trying to change that. We are a long way off.

Did any of MLS clubs offer them contract before they decided to go to NCAA? If not, then that proves my point.
    Wow. You're putting a lot of faith and credit in MLS scouting.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Care to give an example of Canadian kid turning down pro soccer contract over NCAA? I am sure there are some rare cases, but reality is that most of these kids decide to go to NCAA because they have no other option out there.
    You say that like there are options for them. How many high school kids you see starting in MLS? MLS uses the NCAA system as an academy. Actual academies are a pretty young development here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Care to give an example of Canadian kid turning down pro soccer contract over NCAA?
    I know of one, and I am in no way connected to youth soccer. Not going to give name, sorry, but I don't need to prove to you that people actually choose an education over that particular dream.

Ur assumption that everybody has the same values is mistaken.