I'm not sure about this at all.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I echo that statement.

Change is always hard, but this seems like its trying to be different for the sake of being different.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like it.
    the old logo was dated.
    this simple shield is fine.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we've gone from this:

Which reminds us of this:

To a logo which reminds us of this:

Maybe it shows more confidence? Personally, I don't see the need for a rebrand.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i might be the only person that kind of likes it...
    comments aren't very kind on SportsLogos.net

http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/09/...g-20th-season/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CLUB VERSIONS OF THE CREST

Last edited by nascarguy; 09-18-2014 at 08:16 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it will grow on me, but reading the explainations for 'why' it reeks of trying too hard.

That being said, I didn't ever like the old logo. Looks cheesy for sure. New logo is a miss so far with me.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CONCEPT = GOOD... Simple and clean etc...

MULTIPLE LOGO IDEA = INNOVATIVE... No other NA league has it, so it's different... Nothing wrong with being different...I like it...

EXECUTION = TERRIBLE... It looks like clipart / MS Paint...

If you used this concept, but used a proper 3D GFX design with some depth & finesse, it could look really good. But it's just TOO FLAT! Simply & subtle gfx design & rendering could have made this a really big, stand out, pop, of a logo & re-brand...

Carts...
    Last edited by Carts; 09-18-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge improvement.

Crest means a league to me. The other was juvenile and too obvious. Every time I see it I think of someone at a boardroom table saying

"Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.....the ball is great but what do they DO with the ball? They kick it with their feet! So let's add a foot to the brand logo!!!"

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't like it until I saw the club versions, now I kinda did it except I wonder why my country has to be repped by a star I want a maple leaf!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The blank space is a bit of a puzzle to me (representative of expansion teams to come?) but the rest I like.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually like it. I never liked the old crest. Thought it was goofy looking and dated. As far as what all the aspects of the crest mean....every company seems to do that these days. Doesn't bother me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely despised the old logo. Any change would have been welcome.

Though this one is simple.. It's good in my books. Standard soccer sheild and add in the variety for each team and it's a big win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it. Simple, crisp and perfectly timed state of intent.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its better than the old one, I disliked the ball and foot for sure.

The justification of it is a little to much marketing tripe for me though:

WORDMARK: MLS stands for Major League Soccer.

SLASH: The slash refers to soccerÃĒâ‚Žâ„Ēs speed and energy. The slash begins outside the perimeter and drives upward at a 45-degree angle to illustrate both the nonstop nature of our game and the rising trajectory of our league. It bisects the crest to create a ÃĒâ‚ŽÅ“first halfÃĒ₎ and ÃĒâ‚ŽÅ“second half.ÃĒ₎

STARS: The three stars represent the pillars of our brand: For Club, For Country, For Community.

PERIMETER: The perimeter represents the lines that mark off the field of play.

FIRST HALF AND SECOND HALF: The first half contains MLS and the three stars. The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Definitely could have gone without the contrived BS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stars: The three stars represent the pillars of our brand: For club, for country, for community.

usa!! Usa!! Usa!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate it.
    Why let teams "adapt it" to their own colours?
    Many may disagree, but England has the right idea. One colour for everyone bar the holders, they get a gold one.
    The blank space makes it look like half a logo. "We only paid half the design bill, we get the other half of the sheild when we pay the graphics company in full".

(To be fair I did hate the old logo vehemently. This one I hate a little bit less.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone hear in the early comments "we'll have a new strategy for Canada..."??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world.

This made me laugh. Wtf does that mean?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blank space can be possibly used by affliate team

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world.

This made me laugh. Wtf does that mean?
    We couldn't cram shit in there so our hired design team came up with that. Oh and the line outside....so renegade. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    We couldn't cram shit in there so our hired design team came up with that. Oh and the line outside....so renegade. LOL
    You know what they say "think outside the box, errr, I mean shield, think outside the shield!" =)
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Maybe it's a transporter that literally sends you to the MLS world?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The design is the type of modern reductionist stuff that seems to be in vogue among some designers these days. To me, the new logo is a lost opportunity to have something truly forward looking.

Imagine if they had taken the approach that NYCFC did in crowdsourcing suggestions to get a sense of the vibe, keep the design elements that appealed to them and announce it as a product generated by the masses. But instead they spent a lot of money (in that, they spent money) with 3 NY design firms.

I do like the club colors, which will sit well on the shirts. Of note, the FIFA 15 screens shown in the presentation have the MLS badges on both sleeves. I don't know if that means they intend to discontinue using the national flag patches. I'd be ok with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, hothousing the design process because of the FIFA 15 release date seems like a bad idea for a logo you might have for 10 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The design is the type of modern reductionist stuff that seems to be in vogue among some designers these days. To me, the new logo is a lost opportunity to have something truly forward looking.

Imagine if they had taken the approach that NYCFC did in crowdsourcing suggestions to get a sense of the vibe, keep the design elements that appealed to them and announce it as a product generated by the masses. But instead they spent a lot of money (in that, they spent money) with 3 NY design firms.

I do like the club colors, which will sit well on the shirts. Of note, the FIFA 15 screens shown in the presentation have the MLS badges on both sleeves. I don't know if that means they intend to discontinue using the national flag patches. I'd be ok with that.
    The interesting thing with the blank space is people are filling it in with whatever they want. Some is goofy obviously, but it's created a bit of an engagement with fans in itself. So maybe the blank is actually smart, even if their designers' description is kind of lame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The interesting thing with the blank space is people are filling it in with whatever they want. Some is goofy obviously, but it's created a bit of an engagement with fans in itself. So maybe the blank is actually smart, even if their designers' description is kind of lame.
    According to this article by SI, the design was driven by wanting something simpler for the digital and broadcast platforms. That empty frame is going to get a lot of use, with broadcast logos, fly apart graphics, etc etc.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futb...-league-soccer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's better than what we had, but, like others have said, I feel it's a missed opportunity.

On the plus side, the club versions will see that it stands out less. That, and I think it's a neat concept to symbolize being a supporter of both your club AND the league (connecting the two, in a way).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    According to this article by SI, the design was driven by wanting something simpler for the digital and broadcast platforms. That empty frame is going to get a lot of use, with broadcast logos, fly apart graphics, etc etc.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futb...-league-soccer
    That description makes way more sense than "The second half is an open white space that brings you in and out of the MLS world."