Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...st-announced-0

complete list of players available for Wed's expansion draft
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confused by the link above as it shows:
    Homegrown Players exempt from selection
    Aparicio, Manuel
    Delgado, Marco
    Hamilton, Jordan
    Henry, Doneil
    Manella, Chris
    Morgan, Ashtone
    Roberts, Quillan

Not on list on TFC website
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/12/toronto-fc-protects-11-players-expansion-draft

hmmm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    confused by the link above as it shows:
    Homegrown Players exempt from selection
    Aparicio, Manuel
    Delgado, Marco
    Hamilton, Jordan
    Henry, Doneil
    Manella, Chris
    Morgan, Ashtone
    Roberts, Quillan

Not on list on TFC website
    http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/12/toronto-fc-protects-11-players-expansion-draft

hmmm
    He isn't a Toronto FC player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    He isn't a Toronto FC player.
    who knows? Maybe he has been loaned back again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That one with Henry also showed Brad Orr.
    They technically still haven't been sent back to their clubs yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRo Fan #1 View Post
    That one with Henry also showed Brad Orr.
    They technically still haven't been sent back to their clubs yet.
    Are you sure? Orr is back in England and tweeted something about a game tomorrow. I thought the team returned both players last week?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Are you sure? Orr is back in England and tweeted something about a game tomorrow. I thought the team returned both players last week?
    I think even if they have returned, Toronto FC still own their rights for future signing, so the new teams may see some value in owning this right because they see a future signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark Bloom probably wants to play closer to home in Orlando and Orlando wants hime, therefore, TFC does not protect him and Orlando picks him up and TFC will get something in the future, otherwise protecting Bekker over Bloom makes no sende.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pendrith View Post
    Mark Bloom probably wants to play closer to home in Orlando and Orlando wants hime, therefore, TFC does not protect him and Orlando picks him up and TFC will get something in the future, otherwise protecting Bekker over Bloom makes no sende.
    If Orlando wants Bloom so much, why do not we trade him there instead, might at least get some allocation at least ?
    Otherwise we are better off sticking with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    I think even if they have returned, Toronto FC still own their rights for future signing, so the new teams may see some value in owning this right because they see a future signing.
    The rosters are probably as of some date and don't include known upcoming changes. For example, Thierry Henry is on RBNY's unprotected list, despite him already announcing his departure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bekker to Montreal is the only reason I can figure he is being held.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bekker to Montreal is the only reason I can figure he is being held.
    Is it entirely impossible that some people at TFC think Bekker can be a good player in MLS? He's a fairly decent passer of the ball, he's pretty calm on the ball, he's still young. He did reasonably well for us when Bradley was away at the World Cup, stepping into a role he probably wasn't even really read for. I think it might be too early to just write him off. Some players need 3 or 4 good years in the league before coming into their own. Sometimes I think Bekker's haircut doomed him forever with the fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Is it entirely impossible that some people at TFC think Bekker can be a good player in MLS? He's a fairly decent passer of the ball, he's pretty calm on the ball, he's still young. He did reasonably well for us when Bradley was away at the World Cup, stepping into a role he probably wasn't even really read for. I think it might be too early to just write him off. Some players need 3 or 4 good years in the league before coming into their own. Sometimes I think Bekker's haircut doomed him forever with the fans.
    lol no. lack of composure and decision making is Bekker's biggest fault
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably needs a preseason under Vanney. He was good against New England when he was in a more advanced position finding pockets of space in front of back four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    The rosters are probably as of some date and don't include known upcoming changes. For example, Thierry Henry is on RBNY's unprotected list, despite him already announcing his departure.
    I think Henry is likely on there as a technicality. I believe his contract will expire at the end of the year and the draft is tomorrow, so he would need to be included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    For a kid his age, I'm surprised at how willing he is to hold on and try to play out of trouble. To say composure is his biggest fault? Wow, just don't agree. Work ethic would be higher on that list for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a kid his age, I'm surprised at how willing he is to hold on and try to play out of trouble. To say composure is his biggest fault? Wow, just don't agree. Work ethic would be higher on that list for me.
    The dudes 24.... I think you mean to say inexperienced considering the lack of professional game time he has.

I think he needs a full 30+ games at some other lower league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are both correct, really. Bekker gives the impression of being composed, however that also means his decision making isn't quite quick enough. If he was ACTUALLY composed on the ball, he would be able to make those decision quicker, play himself and the team out of trouble. Outwardly he appears composed, but his play doesn't really show that natural composure at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    If Orlando wants Bloom so much, why do not we trade him there instead, might at least get some allocation at least ?
    Otherwise we are better off sticking with him.
    This ensures, however unlikely, that nycfc doesn't take two players and allows us to protect an additional one. Trade doesn't allow that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I agree with Yohan. No composure whatsoever; or, more to the point, no decision making skills. It's not that he looks flustered, he just makes a lot of bad decisions which, later in the game, translates into rushing his decisions and either playing a safe outlet or losing the ball.

He also doesn't track the play defensively, doesn't hustle back to cover his zone.

Bekker has tons of technique so I can see Vanney thinking he's a worthwhile project. But he's done nothing to show it so far; he plays arrogantly, like he's a lot better than he is, and that doesn't usually bode well for future development. Look at Mattocks, who is a physically dominant player with Olympic speed and a three-foot vertical jump, and actually looked worse last season than in his first year. Same basic problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    You are both correct, really. Bekker gives the impression of being composed, however that also means his decision making isn't quite quick enough. If he was ACTUALLY composed on the ball, he would be able to make those decision quicker, play himself and the team out of trouble. Outwardly he appears composed, but his play doesn't really show that natural composure at all.
    This!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's really composed passing that ball back to Henry to hoof up to Defoe to have no chance to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This!
    hes deer in the headlights.

he needs a reality check then to build on some real confidence, not arrogance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Have to disagree there, he's miles ahead of the average MLS prospect in that regard. No game intensity, lack of urgency, poor defensive effort... That's what's keeping him off the field.

It's not slow decision making or deer in headlights, it's a end product of a former grinder coach with defensive minded (and low footy iq) wingers not showing for the ball where they should. Bradley and Osorio had to suffer through the same crap all year as well. If I had a quarter for every time someone chewed out Jackson or Oduro for making outstanding stupid runs taking them selves out of the play, I could have paid Defoe's salary. Movement off the ball has to be better and the play more dynamic out wide. That's why all these guys are on the block.

And this isn't to say Bekker is a perfect player attack wise, but wow there really wasn't much for our central mids to work with.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-09-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Have to disagree there, he's miles ahead of the average MLS prospect in that regard. No game intensity, lack of urgency, poor defensive effort... That's what's keeping him off the field.

It's not slow decision making or deer in headlights, it's a end product of a former grinder coach with defensive minded (and low footy iq) wingers not showing for the ball where they should. Bradley and Osorio had to suffer through the same crap all year as well. If I had a quarter for every time someone chewed out Jackson or Oduro for making outstanding stupid runs taking them selves out of the play, I could have paid Defoe's salary. Movement off the ball has to be better and the play more dynamic out wide. That's why all these guys are on the block.
    true,
    and to be fair, Kyle's passing options werent always in abundance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kyle Bekker is an attacking midfielder with zero goals and zero assists in 1452 pro minutes (over 16 games equivalent). Whoscored had him ranked about the same as Jeremy Hall in effectiveness last year. His one above-average skill is that he can hit free kicks and corners well, but he's below average in all other parts of the game. If he wasn't Canadian and a high draft pick, he would probably be getting cut this offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

And this isn't to say Bekker is a perfect player attack wise, but wow there really wasn't much for our central mids to work with.
    I tend to agree with this. And to the someone else's point, yeah, I mean for a player with the amount of MLS game experience he has more than age. I totally hear what Jloome and Yohan are saying too, but I don't think composure is his biggest flaw.

Anyway, I don't have a horse in the race here, just musing about why we might protect him. I think as fans we all give up on players way too easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    This ensures, however unlikely, that nycfc doesn't take two players and allows us to protect an additional one. Trade doesn't allow that.
    Mathematically this make sense, even though our scrap heap is vastly overvalued.
    Think club should have protected Lovits and Bloom/Jackson, instead of Bekker and Moore though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by starter View Post
    Mathematically this make sense, even though our scrap heap is vastly overvalued.
    Think club should have protected Lovits and Bloom/Jackson, instead of Bekker and Moore though.
    I think it's possible Bloom asked to be unprotected and some handshake deal is in effect with Orlando to let him go to live with his new family.

As for Bekker and Moore, Vanney sees something there I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, if Henry's protected due to being a homegrown despite the fact that his loan is up, does that mean we still own his MLS rights?