Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red I View Post
    If everyone but Morrow from that list was not on this team by the start of the season, i would not lose sleep over it... for the sake of continuity, that would be a tad dramatic, but I expect to see some turnover amongst that group - There are better MLS hardened, veteran players in their positions, and we may have to sell/trade some youth and potential for some veteran talent, especially considering the ludicrous amount of draft picks Toronto has this year
    NVM, misread your post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I tend to share the same approach as others here, which is to assume the worst and have no hopes for the season. However, if I did worry about such things, if there is one area I wish we had seen some movement, it's at centre half. Some good MLS vets have already gone. It's a position you can get immediate contributors from the draft, but not likely. And foreign players have tended to need a bit of MLS experience to get their feet under them. I would really have preferred we pick up someone in the league with some experience there.
    Fair enough, I can understand the centre half concerns. I just can't wrap my head around the shouts for guys like Wynne to be brought back.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Soooo where does this leave DeRo?
    Free agent, but given that every team turned him down twice, in reality he is probably retired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough to see it go down this way for Dwayne. He should start the next stage of his career in the game outside of being a player. Time catches up to everyone eventually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Tough to see it go down this way for Dwayne. He should start the next stage of his career in the game outside of being a player. Time catches up to everyone eventually.
    I say have him as a player/coach for the USL team and have him act as the ambassador for all the young Canadians boys. He'd be the right guy to have around and perhaps he would be down to do it to then transition into Bent's staff...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then we can call him up for a game so he can get his standing o

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So NER pulls a player from the garbage heap and people get upset we don't do likewise while LAG doesn't and we laugh about the accompanying twitter pic.

Meh...show me the team in February.

If we don't get a second starting CD

or

we don't get support for Bradley in the midfield

or

we don't get some better wing options

then Bez has failed.

Until then, holding fire on yelling and jumping.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he's been in denial for some time. Really his play last year should have let him know his days as a player at this level is over. I know it's even hard for those of us who have respected him as a CMNT player or remember the miracle in Montreal to come to terms with it, it must be really difficult for him.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think he's been in denial for some time. Really his play last year should have let him know his days as a player at this level is over. I know it's even hard for those of us who have respected him as a CMNT player or remember the miracle in Montreal to come to terms with it, it must be really difficult for him.
    The guy has zero self-reflection skills, so it's not a surprise he doesn't realize how far he's fallen.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The guy has zero self-reflection skills, so it's not a surprise he doesn't realize how far he's fallen.
    Its a tough sport to prolong your career. In Baseball you simply move to an American League team, DH and spot fill your natural position throughout the season to get a few more years. In football its impossible to do the same, nowhere to really hide.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Its a tough sport to prolong your career. In Baseball you simply move to an American League team, DH and spot fill your natural position throughout the season to get a few more years. In football its impossible to do the same, nowhere to really hide.
    Agreed. Probably no harder sport to keep going. And he keeps himself in good shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be surprised if DeRo actually retires with some dignity. This past year it was painfully obvious to everyone that he had lost a number of steps and would pretty much be a sub, but he kept insisting that he wanted to play every minute and rejected suggestions in interviews that his role would be a locker room leader and super-sub. Now who knows whether that was him being politically correct in that every player needs to fight for their minutes and that's what he was going to do, but at a certain point it's okay to accept that your role has changed and I don't think he was willing to accept that change in role. So I'll be surprised if he now says that yes, it's time for me to retire. I think he'll be one of those players who will have an unofficial retirement after carrying the title of "free agent" for a while. Or he'll sign for an NASL team and play there until he can't get off the bench in that league either

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I will be surprised if DeRo actually retires with some dignity. This past year it was painfully obvious to everyone that he had lost a number of steps and would pretty much be a sub, but he kept insisting that he wanted to play every minute and rejected suggestions in interviews that his role would be a locker room leader and super-sub. Now who knows whether that was him being politically correct in that every player needs to fight for their minutes and that's what he was going to do, but at a certain point it's okay to accept that your role has changed and I don't think he was willing to accept that change in role. So I'll be surprised if he now says that yes, it's time for me to retire. I think he'll be one of those players who will have an unofficial retirement after carrying the title of "free agent" for a while. Or he'll sign for an NASL team and play there until he can't get off the bench in that league either
    Romario http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rom%C3%A1rio who in his prime was one of Brazil's best ever strikers kept moving down from higher leagues to lower leagues. Played in USL for Miami. He last played at age 41, but kept trying and two years later was signed by America Football Club in Rio for one year, but didn't play at all. I hope Dwayne gives it up long before then, it was kind of sad how it ended for Romario.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto