Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question MLS tells FIFA it wants to be first to experiment with in-game video review

Hello all,

so I noticed that it doesn't look like this hasn't been mentioned or talked about on here. Sorry if this is a repost, but looks like replays are going to be part of MLS according to this SI article.

"Major League Soccer has told FIFA that it’s interested in becoming the first pro soccer league to experiment with a video-replay system that would allow coaches to challenge referee decisions, league commissioner Don Garber told SI.com in an interview on Thursday. Earlier this week, FIFA president Sepp Blatter renewed his support of a video challenge system, calling for it to be tested in 2015 in one of the world’s domestic leagues and/or the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand. Blatter said coaches would have the right to challenge a refereeing decision once or twice per half, but only when the game is stopped.
    Once the challenge is made, Blatter said, the referee and the coach would watch the replay on a nearby monitor, whereupon the referee would uphold or change the decision."

Rest of the article is here: http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futb...p-blatter-fifa

Personally I'm all for it, and would hope it'll deter divers, but I don't think we'll have this in place for the next round of qualifiers sadly. I don't see why it wouldn't be doable. I mean just have 2-3 guys looking at videos ahead of time (assuming the challenge isn't made on the spot) to speed it up for the ref somehow.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the logic for those in support and recognize I am probably in the minority, but I would prefer the status quo in terms of this department. My concern is that video replay would introduce more stoppages and delays (though arguably if it deters diving, we might end up having less?). I have also long accepted that officiating isn't perfect, and in fact, at times, enjoy the drama and intrigue introduced to the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this, because it is instant learning for the Refs, and will result in a higher level of officiating, and prevent monumentally blown calls that can effect the out come of games. If only because it gives a ref a chance to catch something they missed or say opps my bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like the idea of stoppage play. It would lead to much more and slow the game down. I would rather have something like refs and coaches can review plays after the game is over. Any player who does blatant diving calls can be suspended and fined for the next game. If caught again suspended for the next 3 games and again higher fine. And a 3rd time caught for diving leads to 5 game suspension, and so on. It may not affec the game in which the player does the diving but will affect the games that are to follow. It will cut down diving and you won't have to stop any flow of the game. I don't want stoppage play like in NFL.
    Last edited by james; 09-13-2014 at 01:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I don't like the idea of stoppage play. It would lead to much more and slow the game down. I would rather have something like refs and coaches can review plays after the game is over. Any player who does blatant diving calls can be suspended and fined for the next game. If caught again suspended for the next 3 games and again higher fine. And a 3rd time caught for diving leads to 5 game suspension, and so on. It may not affec the game in which the player does the diving but will affect the games that are to follow. It will cut down diving and you won't have to stop any flow of the game. I don't want stoppage play like in NFL.
    MLS discipline committee does review serious incidents including diving after every game.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    They (FIFA) say it would only be done once/twice per half. It's not going to be all the time like throwball.
    Even hockey with instant replays doesn't have it very often. Sure there are more stops in plays with penalties and faceoffs, etc, but a replay during a play isn't too common.

I mean if the play is going to stop during a goal celebration or while a guy is rolling around on the pitch (either real or faked), hasn't the play already been disrupted? That;s the chance to check the replay. IMO they should leave it to the 4th official to check things and if warranted he can then suggest/look it over w/ the main ref.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    MLS discipline committee does review serious incidents including diving after every game.
    +1
    Hungry Suarez comes to mind, but doesn't FIFA do this as is anyways? There would be no change for serious stuff after the fact anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    They (FIFA) say it would only be done once/twice per half. It's not going to be all the time like throwball.
    Even hockey with instant replays doesn't have it very often. Sure there are more stops in plays with penalties and faceoffs, etc, but a replay during a play isn't too common.

I mean if the play is going to stop during a goal celebration or while a guy is rolling around on the pitch (either real or faked), hasn't the play already been disrupted? That;s the chance to check the replay. IMO they should leave it to the 4th official to check things and if warranted he can then suggest/look it over w/ the main ref.

+1
    Hungry Suarez comes to mind, but doesn't FIFA do this as is anyways? There would be no change for serious stuff after the fact anyways.
    the 4th ref checking it sounds a little bit better. While game play continues. raise attention to the main ref if warrant it.

There is still something that I don't trust about stoppage play. Could always see them some how sneaking in a commercial during the time they are checking the play. And that will only lead to more in the future. Just don't trust them, lol. The other question is why would you say stop to review calls 1 - 2 times a half? what happens if the half has a whole pile of questionable calls to a coach? what does the ref say sorry, you already had 2 plays in the first 5 mins that you checked, can't check anymore?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not suprised Garber is all over this. Networks hate soccer because there aren't breaks in play to insert commercials. This would be welcomed by the networks. Get ready for beer commercials mid game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with the argument against it, unless it could be used in a way to avoid further stoppage play. All you need to do is watch NFL football in the last 8-10 minutes of play in the final quarter to see what kind of slow, plodding track of play this could produce. What is so wonderful about MLS and soccer in general is the flow and constant action.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Not suprised Garber is all over this. Networks hate soccer because there aren't breaks in play to insert commercials. This would be welcomed by the networks. Get ready for beer commercials mid game
    FCUK video replay in MLS.

Only reason why MLS s doing this is commercial break,this has absolutely nothing to do with fair play,diving etc.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be better to use the CFL approach and have somebody at head office with all the options make the decisions while on field staff wait.

Except that would cost broadcasters money and some of the chearper ones have only 3 cameras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    FCUK video replay in MLS.

Only reason why MLS s doing this is commercial break,this has absolutely nothing to do with fair play,diving etc.
    100% agree

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, MLS would be in favour of this, wouldn't they? Just say NO to video replay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Would be better to use the CFL approach and have somebody at head office with all the options make the decisions while on field staff wait.

Except that would cost broadcasters money and some of the chearper ones have only 3 cameras.
    That's why I said have the 4th official check it to speed things up. If it's questionable or obvious, he can bring it up to the main ref who might have missed something.

If a ref has to put up with a coach that questions everything the ref could give the ref a warning or 2 and if need be, eject him.

I do admit that I didn't think about the commercial potential, but hockey doesn't break away from controversial calls to go to commercial from what I can remember. It's a dramatic moment! I do see where others are coming from though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody want to complain about having video replay as an option now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha - I didn't think it would take that long after such a brutal officiating display for someone to comment on this thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I approve of this. MLS refs make far too many game changing mistakes regularly in the heat of the game. I rather their be a re-examination of whatever occurrence during the course of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is the best solution to a league that is starting to get a bit more technical skill on the player front, but remaining par for the course on the refereeing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I only see video review being implemented to help with goals. Incidents like red cards or diving could be handled post game with suspensions (or not). I don't see this helping at all with in game fouls, including last nights alleged foul by Gilberto.

No league in the world allows fouls to be reviewed, in any sport.

Practically speaking, take last night as an example. Gilberto's alleged foul on the disallowed goal.

Ref could have blown the whistle prior to the ball crossing the line. Let's just assume that is what happens as it happens on corners all the time. Play is blown dead when a foul is perceived.

At which point GK argues he gave up. Ball crosses line. Maybe he saves it if he didn't give up.

Weak argument but one that could be made.

Ref reviews it and realizes it wasn't a foul. Then what?

A goal? Can't. Play was blown dead therefore stopped the moment the whistle went.

A free kick from the spot with a line of 10 Chicago defenders in the net? Hardly fair to Gilberto who had a one on one chance.

It's not a PK since Chicago didn't foul him.

MLS would be insane to be the only league, in any sport to allow review of perceived fouls even those leading to goals/touchdowns.

The NHL doesn't review for interference. It looks to see if the puck crossed the line, whether it was kicked/batted/gloved in etc. Penalty calls are outside the scope.

Same with NFL. Holding, pass interference and all penalties are non reviewable.

In baseball, it's all about the outs and home runs. There is nothing reviewable about subjective calls like balls and strikes or interference.
    Last edited by Pookie; 09-14-2014 at 07:33 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The model should be rugby, based on the affect of decisions in open play, as against the continuos stop start aspects of baseball, gridiron and hockey. It won't be, unfortunately.

We are going to see penalties awarded and goals called back. I agree though - this call would not be reviewed.

I suspect that video replay would put a lot of heat on refs to get the call right and to have a reason to make a call in the first place. Ganter didn't, as he called cause he saw somebody fall down as against seeing a foul occur.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I suspect that video replay would put a lot of heat on refs to get the call right and to have a reason to make a call in the first place. Ganter didn't, as he called cause he saw somebody fall down as against seeing a foul occur.
    I'd have thought that knowing the entire game was on video from multiple angles would have put that same heat on refs.

Ganter clearly thought this was the correct call. Given the game-changing nature of the mistake, this is something that video review is going to have to cover.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With respect to the incident on Saturday night. How about they do this:

They allow the goal to stand and then review it (quickly) to see if there is a foul or not. It's akin to goal line review that we saw once or twice during the world cup. No more than 2 min to review, time gets added on to the half. This takes the onus off of Ganter (in this case) to make the call and he can confer with the 4th official and the assistants.

But that's in this particular case.

Up until Saturday night I was against any kind of review - the game has gone on this long without technology, why should we introduce it now? Now, I don't know.

I fear that with the MLS starting this kind of thing, it will be like the glowing puck on Fox hockey coverage - you know, North Americans can't follow the game because it is too quick and need to slow it down.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm against video review of any kind.

Debate and outrage are as much a part of the fabric of the game as are mazy runs and thunderbolt goals.

The referee is part of the field and may as often as not affect the outcome of a match. If there is evidence of corruption or inexperience, then that is dealt with separately.

That is all.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is about beer commercials, fuck no, this will put an end to me watching MLS on TV. It's already a fucking mess of crap as is.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fergiejr View Post
    With respect to the incident on Saturday night. How about they do this:

They allow the goal to stand and then review it (quickly) to see if there is a foul or not. It's akin to goal line review that we saw once or twice during the world cup. No more than 2 min to review, time gets added on to the half. This takes the onus off of Ganter (in this case) to make the call and he can confer with the 4th official and the assistants.

But that's in this particular case.

Up until Saturday night I was against any kind of review - the game has gone on this long without technology, why should we introduce it now? Now, I don't know.

I fear that with the MLS starting this kind of thing, it will be like the glowing puck on Fox hockey coverage - you know, North Americans can't follow the game because it is too quick and need to slow it down.
    How do you allow the goal to stand when technically the play is to be blown dead at the moment the perceived foul occurs?

If you perceive a foul you have to blow the whistle. Play ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    How do you allow the goal to stand when technically the play is to be blown dead at the moment the perceived foul occurs?

If you perceive a foul you have to blow the whistle. Play ends
    if its borderline you let the play go and if it needs to be overturned thats what replay is for. The NFL does this where they call it a turnover when its borderline so it can be reviewed afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    if its borderline you let the play go and if it needs to be overturned thats what replay is for. The NFL does this where they call it a turnover when its borderline so it can be reviewed afterwards.
    I know nothing about NFL, but I have question here. Do teams make changes in personal and/or tactics as a direct response to an event that could be overturned?

My number one issue with this is in soccer that tactic changes and substitutions are often done as a direct result of events in the game.

For example if a questionable goal is allowed, one or both of the teams make a substitution as a result, then the goal gets called back? Now you have to look at letting substitutions be undone on top of that. Or maybe you get a go ahead goal near the end of the game, go into a defensive shell as a result and get scored on.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    Perhaps but...

All turnovers are treated the same. Unless you let all borderline fouls go and review them, it's a mess. We could limit it to fouls in the box but what about fouls at the top of the box or in mid-field that took away a counter attack? Sometimes is the build up from your own 1/3 that leads to a goal.

Turnovers are not really a subjective call like a foul or diving. Either he lost the ball or he didn't. A dive? Some are obvious some are not.

Perhaps most difficult with this is that by doing so you are asking MLS Refs to make the distinction between foul - yes or no and foul - borderline let it go. I don't see that making the problem better.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I know nothing about NFL, but I have question here. Do teams make changes in personal and/or tactics as a direct response to an event that could be overturned?
    Sure. Subs happen on every play and many times dependent on the down and yards to go.

There were 2 moments in the Miami Buffalo game that could have been pivotal but even with video review, weren't called.

Miami had a 3rd down situation where their tight end jumped early. It wasn't called and wasn't reviewable. Miami made the first down and continued their drive instead of being forced with a 3rd and long situation which likely would have resulted in a punt.

Later on that same drive, their receiver caught the ball and went to the ground. He wasn't touched. He got up and continued to the end zone but the whistle had blown. Not reviewable but certainly a game changer in that it was a legitimate touchdown that wasn't allowed to stand.

Point is that in game decisions hinge on getting the calls correctly and even the NFL with all its money and technology cannot eliminate errors that fundamental could have an impact on the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think before this can be implemented football in general should look into establishing the position of time keeper who controls the clock and stops time whenever the ref blows their whistle because of a foul or injury or the ball goes out of play. When time runs out game is over, no more added time. I think this would help stop much of the fake injuries and general time wasting. After this is established then we can incorporate video replay since some might try and use it to kill time. Plus the ref who made the call should not be the one who reviews the play on a video replay request. Their opinion is biased into making themselves not look stupid.