Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think Richard Peddie pimped this guy, John Cassaday, behind closed doors at the MLSE board room? If so, then we should be very, very worried about this as TFC fans.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Given how much more media exposure there's going to be as a MLSE boss, do you think he can even handle it when he couldn't handle CFL strike properly?
    Cohon played the CFL 'strike' perfectly. He got the owners what they wanted and there wasn't a single day lost. It was the PA that was caught completely off-guard and Cohon schooled the CFLPA on a number of occasions. The 'strike' never happened, so how can you criticize how he handled the 'strike'?

Yet, the other major league sports missed time due to a CBA issues, you criticize one of the few who had his season start on time with no games cancelled. Jeepers.

It's been pretty clear the CFL won the this round of the CBA. Strike vote failed, players making themselves look foolish on social media, no time lost, owners got pretty much all they asked for.

The next round of CBA talks are going to be interested, I 'wouldn't be surprised' if the PA builds up a war chest over the next few years.

Other than that, the CBA was a massive victory for him and the league, and fans\media across the CFL know it.
    Last edited by Mulder; 10-28-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Cohon played the CFL 'strike' perfectly. He got the owners what they wanted and there wasn't a single day lost. It was the PA that was caught completely off-guard and Cohon schooled the CFLPA on a number of occasions. The 'strike' never happened, so how can you criticize how he handled the 'strike'?

Yet, the other major league sports missed time due to a CBA issues, you criticize one of the few who had his season start on time with no games cancelled. Jeepers.

It's been pretty clear the CFL won the this round of the CBA. Strike vote failed, players making themselves look foolish on social media, no time lost, owners got pretty much all they asked for.

The next round of CBA talks are going to be interested, I 'wouldn't be surprised' if the PA builds up a war chest over the next few years.
    PR wise, Cohon took a hit especially in Toronto. Cohon pretty much destroy his credibility when he said league was doing great before strike happen (CFL and players lost good chuck of their preseason I believe) then change his tune about league's health during the strike. If he can't handle PR battle (huge deal for MLSE top job), then how in the world is he going to survive in Toronto dealing with Maple Leafs media circus which is 24/7?

I personally believe CFL players will never earn what they deserve because most of players (especially American players) in CFL are only there in short term. They don't care too much about benefits and other issues like some of players (Mostly Canadian players) do who are in it in the long term. This is why Cohon "won" not because of his performance, but division between players.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PR wise, Cohon took a hit especially in Toronto. Cohon pretty much destroy his credibility when he said league was doing great before strike happen (CFL and players lost good chuck of their preseason I believe) then change his tune about league's health during the strike. If he can't handle PR battle (huge deal for MLSE top job), then how in the world is he going to survive in Toronto dealing with Maple Leafs media circus which is 24/7?
    Didn't take near as big hit as being suggested. And winning the CBA battle helped more than this hurt.

I personally believe CFL players will never earn what they deserve because most of players (especially American players) in CFL are only there in short term. They don't care too much about benefits and other issues like some of players (Mostly Canadian players) do who are in it in the long term. This is why Cohon "won" not because of his performance, but division between players.
    There were also many american players who were for the strike as there was Canadians against. I happened to have a front row seat to all of it. (i'll pm you details if you'd like) But I agree, the CBA is always about Canadian players, seeing that they are protected under league rules and each team requires at the least 20 of them, (7 starters) they will almost always be paid higher than their american counter-parts.

This upcoming free agency will be the tell-tale sign as there is a couple of very good Canadian o-linemen up for grabs who I wouldn't be surprised command upward of $200,000 - $250,000 per season, while their American counterparts make $80,000

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    You think Richard Peddie pimped this guy, John Cassaday, behind closed doors at the MLSE board room? If so, then we should be very, very worried about this as TFC fans.
    I remain unconvinced about somebody until MLSE announces.

"Talked to" is not the same as hired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    worried about what...can it be any worse then the last 8 yrs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, who gives a crap about who these clowns hire. Tired of how people off the field are just as much a story as the people on it in this city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cohan would sink TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hat tip to barticusz who I think first spotted this and put it elsewhere

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-wei...ource-1.177981

If Leiweke is leaving because he hates Larry ....

Sounds like maybe the end of Larry.

I am amused at the Tod Leiweke suggestion, which I floated in this thread months ago.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-08-2015 at 05:06 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its about time they bought that goof out, he hasn't contributed anything productive and is only looking to put his buddies in charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Hat tip to barticusz who I think first spotted this and put it elsewhere

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-wei...ource-1.177981

If Leiweke is leaving because he hates Larry ....

Sounds like maybe the end of Larry.

I am amused at the Tod Leiweke suggestion, which I floated in this thread months ago.
    Thanks for the placing it in the right spot!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke isn't CEO anymore, he's just a consultant, according to this!

What a mess

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-hires-firm-to...essor-1.192878
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke isn't CEO anymore, he's just a consultant, according to this!

What a mess

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-hires-firm-to...essor-1.192878
    Bigger story here is that no one wants to work for MLSE. Since Tim Lewieke is leaving on bad terms, a lot of CEO's are taking notice and staying away from the job.

I will be surprised at this point to see someone experience and successful wanting to take this job.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bit in that about Tannenbaum being the issue has to be coming from Bogers. Setting up a buyout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The bit in that about Tannenbaum being the issue has to be coming from Bogers. Setting up a buyout?
    Larry T leaving MLSE? No way, he loves owning part of MLSE and takes an active role (unlike other shareholders) running company.

I think Larry T is still upset about Lewieke getting rid of his friend Bryan Colangelo (I wouldn't surprised if he apply for MLSE CEO position, he will get it with support of Larry T).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't really a personality problem (although it might be that too).

As part of the Bogers deal, Tanenbaum negotiated that he would get the Leafs seat at the NHL Board of Governors for 15 years.

Which, given the importance of the Leafs to MLSE, should have been a dealkiller for Bogers. They thought it was symbolic (I did too) but it clearly has enabled Larry to meaningfully thwart Leiweke somehow.

One endgame is that Tanenbaum gets bought out, and Leiweke stays. Another is that Bell sells out to Rogers (as part of Bell getting an expansion team in Markham), and Larry gets to influence/pick the CEO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    HA!!!

No way does Tie Domi and Scumbag Steve Simmons's bud sell his shares in MLSE. He seems to like being the decider in that organization. The teams in MLSE are doomed with Tannenbaum having a big say in that organization.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't really a personality problem (although it might be that too).

As part of the Bogers deal, Tanenbaum negotiated that he would get the Leafs seat at the NHL Board of Governors for 15 years.

Which, given the importance of the Leafs to MLSE, should have been a dealkiller for Bogers. They thought it was symbolic (I did too) but it clearly has enabled Larry to meaningfully thwart Leiweke somehow.

One endgame is that Tanenbaum gets bought out, and Leiweke stays. Another is that Bell sells out to Rogers (as part of Bell getting an expansion team in Markham), and Larry gets to influence/pick the CEO.
    Do you think Bell and Rogers have a shot gun clause in their partnership agreement? Also do you think Bell and Rogers have the power to force a buyout of Larry even with him kicking and screaming?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Do you think Bell and Rogers have a shot gun clause in their partnership agreement? Also do you think Bell and Rogers have the power to force a buyout of Larry even with him kicking and screaming?
    No and no.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No and no.
    So if one wants out, how do you see that happening, Bell or Rogers buying the other out?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a Mexican standoff. No obvious way out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likely have a form of reciprocal right of refusal. Make an offer to buy out the other, but recipient then has first right to buy out the other at the same price as the original offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of them getting an expansion team in the GTA sounds like a good idea. Kind of like the Gunds getting San Jose for giving up the North Stars.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would have been fun if a shot gun did exist. If you remember it was a shot gun that led us to the MLSE that we have today.