View Poll Results: Given up on post-season play?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 47.62%
  • No

65 38.69%
  • Dunno

23 13.69%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    s'funny.

A couple of years back I was taking calls from my ticket rep and exchanging emails w/ Tom Anselmi. I told them I was pissed off at what they were doing at the club and i wouldn't be renewing. I was of the mind that Anselmi, Mariner and Cochrane had to go.

Then they replaced 2/3 with Payne and Nelsen, with Anselmi getting the boot shortly thereafter. The phone rang again, but I still didn't want any of it.

In no time at all Lieweke comes in, gets rid of Payne, Brings in Bez, Defoe, Bradley, et al and announces he's fucking off. Then Bez fires Nelsen and Defoe looks for all like he's leaving.

All of this in I think about two seasons.

I understand the spirit of the question, and I'm not being snarky, but what am I supposed to be satisfied with ?

This club is jokes from day one. End to end futility, as far as the eye can see.
    Satisfied with playoffs. That's what was promised.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^That's the point. It is not about hope, it is about demand, playoffs were promised, the team has the players. It has to be done.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They have to make the playoffs. There is no try.

Nothing good comes from them missing the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    compared to the West, sure. but it feels like every team in the East is gaining form (except SKC for some reason) except us. even Montreal has been putting in more of a fight lately

if we don't get at least a point in Chicago and a win vs Chivas USA at home, we're toast
    agreed. Tho New England was on that terrible run of form for a while and then went on that streak. We need to rack up the W's tho.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Satisfied with playoffs. That's what was promised.
    Well, no then. I wouldn't be satisfied with the playoffs. Simply because if TFC gets there, it'll be in spite of everything they've done this year - and not because of it.

And what does playoffs this year even mean ? There are no guarantees ahead.

What I want is consistency and stability. Gimme some of that so I can identify with this club, and then move forward.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't given up on the post-season, or this roster. It will be tough and my realist side says the odds aren't great.

But I believe this roster is playoff-capable; there are enough games left and Vanney could rally them by making a relatively few small tactical changes. So the possibility is there.

My cynical side notes that there are things going on behind the scenes, quite evidently, that we aren't privy to, and these things are demoralizing the team. Maybe it's interactions between rich players and poor, or Canadians and Americans, or veterans and veterans, or maybe just players and management.

But we're not going to get the whole story, as usual.

I think they have the potential to do it. We have some really good players. They just need to think, focus, be hungry again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    They have to make the playoffs. There is no try.

Nothing good comes from them missing the playoffs.
    I disagree......something good does come from it.......namely, free Raptors tickets with renewals .....

In all seriousness, imo I would be satisfied with playoffs, FOR THIS YEAR......in the full scope of things, this team has never been there, so making the playoffs this year is notable......imo, Defoe has played his last game for TFC and is gone in January, so it is all about how he is replaced, which will form the next path this team goes on.......that is if he's replaced at all.....maybe the way to go for next season is with Gilberto leading the forwards and using Defoe's money to finally bring in a proper AM......add in a few MLS vet types to shore up the back line first, then other positions......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll also add that there's a lesson to be learned from fucking with what's working; when we were winning earlier in the season, we got rid of guys whose "Personalities" didn't fit the room Nelsen wanted: Rey, and Nakajima-Farran were both quirky characters and had defensive liabilities a mile wide. But we were producing offensively and defensively at that point; we had balance between our players' characters and their production. And we threw that away in favor of getting allegedly better players who really haven't contributed much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we lose against Chicago the margin for error to make the playoffs becomes extremely slim. If it comes to that we'll have also lost three straight under the new coach so it's unlikely the team will be able to turn it around at that point. That's when I give up hope and start looking to next year.

A win, on the other hand, puts us right in the middle of the playoff race.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they paste Chivas 3-0 on Sunday, does anyone doubt that this thread would immediately go to 90% "no"?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're still in the race, but the team will have to SERIOUSLY step up in Chicago, and also in the following games as well, otherwise we'll be consulting our calculators once again to see how it's possible for us to make the play-offs. I honestly can't even imagine us not making the play-offs. It would be a big disaster. Why would anyone in their right mind trust this club again after this season? Nah, I'm going to stick with my hope that we'll turn the tide this Saturday and find a way to make it into the play-offs. Honestly, I don't even CARE at this point what happens after we make the play-offs. Just do it! Gotta get that monkey off of our backs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a couple of starters back would make a massive difference. Is Morrow close? Caldwell sounded pretty close. Those two would add a lot this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If they paste Chivas 3-0 on Sunday, does anyone doubt that this thread would immediately go to 90% "no"?
    We do have that going for us. They're the two most vulnerable teams. Two straight wins might turn things around a bit. Mix in a week or two for Vanney to get them focused and moving off the ball again and maybe things pick up.

Man, my one fear is that Defoe blew up in the dressing room or something and precipitated all of this. I know your perspective is that Lieweke went first but it actually makes as much sense the other way. His entire sales package here goes down the drain if Defoe walks.

PLus, who knows how demoralizing any kind of blow up might have been to the other players? It's one thing to have a buttmunch like Darren Mattocks dress down his teammates; it's another when it's a player with the talent to back it up.

Just kind of fits the whole thing. If so, I wouldn't give us a snowflakes chance in hell.

But if it really was just that Nelsen had lost the room and was feuding internally with Bez, maybe Vanney had a shot. I like what he's said so far; he's talked straight up, tactically, honestly. A nice change. In the past, you always got the sense the manager was either a) a weasel or b) being directed by weasels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But how fun would it be to have our last 2 games be the deciding factor and we make it?

Come on boys, chin up and let's kill it!
    WE DID IT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll take being more than 3 points out of a playoff spot for me to give up on playoffs

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perhaps a better question is whether we have belief that TFC can do anything in the playoffs if they happen to stumble in

Getting in 4/5 would result in a one game playoff. Success means home and home. I know "anything can happen" but what are the odds that anything good would happen?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will never forget that in 2009, going into the final weekend, RSL had a 3% chance of making the playoffs, and went on to win the MLS Cup.

It's a weird league with a lot of parity. Nobody knows nothing.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going in with low expectations, voted no.

Sure I want them to make it, but there's no sense getting hopes up at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    After year after year of futility not making it is not acceptable. There will be nothing good about it. This team knows how to lose, it needs to learn how to win. Now is the time to do it. It has a good squad and for it to make the play offs it just needs to win half its game. They need to do it.
    That is my feeling exactly. pre injuries, under Nelsen, they showed real potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Not based on recent performances.

My mind may change after the game this Saturday. We will see how this team responds to the changes once they have had a full week under the staff, time to plan for their opponent, and had some time to recover between games.

The team is a shambles right now. We look as bad as we ever have.
    sadly true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I haven't given up on the post-season, or this roster. It will be tough and my realist side says the odds aren't great.

But I believe this roster is playoff-capable; there are enough games left and Vanney could rally them by making a relatively few small tactical changes. So the possibility is there.

My cynical side notes that there are things going on behind the scenes, quite evidently, that we aren't privy to, and these things are demoralizing the team. Maybe it's interactions between rich players and poor, or Canadians and Americans, or veterans and veterans, or maybe just players and management.

But we're not going to get the whole story, as usual.

I think they have the potential to do it. We have some really good players. They just need to think, focus, be hungry again.
    Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'll also add that there's a lesson to be learned from fucking with what's working; when we were winning earlier in the season, we got rid of guys whose "Personalities" didn't fit the room Nelsen wanted: Rey, and Nakajima-Farran were both quirky characters and had defensive liabilities a mile wide. But we were producing offensively and defensively at that point; we had balance between our players' characters and their production. And we threw that away in favor of getting allegedly better players who really haven't contributed much.
    Don't agree here though. Warner filled a real need, particularly over the world cup break. It is weird that the team has deteriorated since then, and he and Bradley are not a fit, but when Bradley was away he was excellent. Also, I NMHO Oduro is heads and shoulders over Rey. Everything stopped with Rey.

Oddly, given the hoofball criticisms of Nelsen, I think our problems began when he tried to play too offensively - for example putting Oso on the wing where Jackson had been a lock, defensively. Add that to the defensive injuries and it is when we started shipping goals.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They just gotta make the playoffs for me this year. That's it. I don't care if we squeak in by a single point - crossing that line is all that matters for me right now. Obviously I'd love us to advance past the first round, but I gotta be realistic.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 09-10-2014 at 01:13 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm of the opinion that our season is slowly swirling down the toilet - but you gotta have hope right? Making the playoffs, even if we're one and done, would be a welcome change, no matter how short-lived it might be, in our dreary existence as a club to this point. And it would fulfill a promise at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick a fork in us. We're Done. I want to be proven wring but I voted Yes. Looking forward to 2015 and the expected changes to DP rules and salary cap. Then we'll be the team we dreamed of being, because we will outspend everyone else.

On a positive note, I snagged a TFC ball cap in the discount bin at Shopper's Drug Mart for the low, low price of $3.25! Season saved!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    s'funny.

A couple of years back I was taking calls from my ticket rep and exchanging emails w/ Tom Anselmi. I told them I was pissed off at what they were doing at the club and i wouldn't be renewing. I was of the mind that Anselmi, Mariner and Cochrane had to go.

Then they replaced 2/3 with Payne and Nelsen, with Anselmi getting the boot shortly thereafter. The phone rang again, but I still didn't want any of it.

In no time at all Lieweke comes in, gets rid of Payne, Brings in Bez, Defoe, Bradley, et al and announces he's fucking off. Then Bez fires Nelsen and Defoe looks for all like he's leaving.

All of this in I think about two seasons.

I understand the spirit of the question, and I'm not being snarky, but what am I supposed to be satisfied with ?

This club is jokes from day one. End to end futility, as far as the eye can see.

It's pretty embarrassing, not much to be proud of with the continuing circus which I had really thought was behind us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see no evidence to indicate we will make the playoffs this year. The fact that teams walk all over us at home is a big reason. We had flashes of decent soccer this season, but not a playoff team in my opinion. Never really got the first team to gel, partly due to world cup and injuries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the Chicago game is pivotal but how many times has TFC won in Chicago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I agree the Chicago game is pivotal but how many times has TFC won in Chicago?
    Based on what I see on Soccerway.com, we've lost 4 times, tied 4 times, and won 0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Based on what I see on Soccerway.com, we've lost 4 times, tied 4 times, and won 0.

Looks like we are due for a win then....