View Poll Results: Given up on post-season play?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 47.62%
  • No

65 38.69%
  • Dunno

23 13.69%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Have you given up on this post-season?

8 games left, still in the mix but a long losing streak. How do you feel?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we're going to recover from this tailspin so I've given up hope for it. Still going to come out and try to enjoy myself, but my expectations are nil.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said 'No' because I haven't given up on it completely. Do I feel good about our chances? No but I haven't given up since we are still points away from a spot. If the gap starts to grow in the next few games I would like to update my answer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what if we back into the 5th spot?
    will people be satisfied?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it went from thinking, "we have to avoid the 4/5 if we want to be rested for a deep run" to "we will be lucky to get into the 4/5 and if by some miracle we get out, we won't win another game."

A least before I could suspend my disbelief. It's such an important part of sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Canadian Championship title is enough to keep me cheering. Although this is an easier accomplishment, playing hard for this may result in a sneaky play-off entry. So, still seein' red...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    The Canadian Championship title is enough to keep me cheering. Although this is an easier accomplishment, playing hard for this may result in a sneaky play-off entry. So, still seein' red...
    Canadian Championship lol This team has done nothing since 2007 apart from a small run in champions league ..

Worst franchise in MLS history .. On field that is

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I don't think we're going to recover from this tailspin so I've given up hope for it. Still going to come out and try to enjoy myself, but my expectations are nil.
    pretty much this for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    If we sneak in or not, we're not going to make any noise. We'll very likely be one and done anyways. The team will still pat itself on the back for finishing 5th and achieving it's goal of being mid table with winning nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our chances are slim.

I don't even know who to be upset with anymore. I certainly can't fault ownership or management, especially this season.

Maybe we are cursed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voted no. Don't think we will make it based on the performances we have put in so far, but no point in giving up on it yet. One good result (ideally very soon) could turn things around quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inheavensince07 View Post
    Canadian Championship lol This team has done nothing since 2007 apart from a small run in champions league ..

Worst franchise in MLS history .. On field that is
    Yeah, that was my # 1 moment. And still living it hahaha doh! Where is R.J. and D.K....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We agree with Bradley -

"We’re not even close to giving up" . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigredone View Post
    But we didn't win the Canadian Championship this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not out yet. we don't look good but the East is not strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put "Dunno" and that's honestly how I feel...

My heart says they can do it - with the effort & the guys we have on the roster...

My head says 'give up' after seeing the last 2-games / if that's how Vanney wants us to play...

I'm honestly really down in the dumps about this team right now...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not looking that far ahead. If I raise my gaze up too high, then I get the shit down my throat, instead of on top of my head.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see how they look after having a week straight to prepare. Looked like a lot of things were slowly evolving out there on Saturday... Think 2 games in a week made it difficult to do the changeover.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    not out yet. we don't look good but the East is not strong.
    compared to the West, sure. but it feels like every team in the East is gaining form (except SKC for some reason) except us. even Montreal has been putting in more of a fight lately

if we don't get at least a point in Chicago and a win vs Chivas USA at home, we're toast
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to be proven wrong, I really, really do, but I voted Yes. I just can't see us getting in.

As for stumbling our way to 5th, I might have been okay with that at the start of the season but after some of the promising moments earlier in the year I'd consider that a big let down (I mean not as big as not making it at all, but still pretty disappointing) - I just really wanted a home playoff game.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a good discussion could actually be had about which is better, making it or not.

If we make it, there's the obvious...we made the playoffs. But this team probably isn't going to do all that much if they do. It might get some fans back on board, but if we're 1 and done with no home game, then probably won't do much at all. The worst part about it, would be management patting themselves on the back with a "we said we'd make the playoffs, and we did" speech. Gross. Ticket prices would likely rise.

If we don't make it, there's again the obvious....we missed the playoffs. Perhaps another shitkicking to the teeth would do this club some good? Not that the previous ones have, but this one would be the biggest IMO. Would probably see tickets remain the same price.

Overall, I think missing out might serve us best in the long run, but I'm really not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at each game left, there are some points to be had but not enough I'm afraid. Last shred of hope for achievement this season is somehow topping our previous pts record of 39 in 2009.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After year after year of futility not making it is not acceptable. There will be nothing good about it. This team knows how to lose, it needs to learn how to win. Now is the time to do it. It has a good squad and for it to make the play offs it just needs to win half its game. They need to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once and a while the sun shines on a dog's ass. Our ass is due for some sun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Last shred of hope for achievement this season is somehow topping our previous pts record of 39 in 2009.
    This is where I am now. I think we can just manage to beat this but I am not 100% sure of that either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I think a good discussion could actually be had about which is better, making it or not.

If we make it, there's the obvious...we made the playoffs. But this team probably isn't going to do all that much if they do. It might get some fans back on board, but if we're 1 and done with no home game, then probably won't do much at all. The worst part about it, would be management patting themselves on the back with a "we said we'd make the playoffs, and we did" speech. Gross. Ticket prices would likely rise.

If we don't make it, there's again the obvious....we missed the playoffs. Perhaps another shitkicking to the teeth would do this club some good? Not that the previous ones have, but this one would be the biggest IMO. Would probably see tickets remain the same price.

Overall, I think missing out might serve us best in the long run, but I'm really not sure.
    I think the worst thing we could do is pull a 2013-Montreal post season. Luckily I can't picture players like Bradley letting it get to that point, but if not making it vs imploding without a home game are the choices, I'd rather our season ends at NE.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the schedule, the only game I don't think they can win is the LA game. I think it's still possible, though how likely I'm not sure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    s'funny.

A couple of years back I was taking calls from my ticket rep and exchanging emails w/ Tom Anselmi. I told them I was pissed off at what they were doing at the club and i wouldn't be renewing. I was of the mind that Anselmi, Mariner and Cochrane had to go.

Then they replaced 2/3 with Payne and Nelsen, with Anselmi getting the boot shortly thereafter. The phone rang again, but I still didn't want any of it.

In no time at all Lieweke comes in, gets rid of Payne, Brings in Bez, Defoe, Bradley, et al and announces he's fucking off. Then Bez fires Nelsen and Defoe looks for all like he's leaving.

All of this in I think about two seasons.

I understand the spirit of the question, and I'm not being snarky, but what am I supposed to be satisfied with ?

This club is jokes from day one. End to end futility, as far as the eye can see.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not based on recent performances.

My mind may change after the game this Saturday. We will see how this team responds to the changes once they have had a full week under the staff, time to plan for their opponent, and had some time to recover between games.

The team is a shambles right now. We look as bad as we ever have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    s'funny.

A couple of years back I was taking calls from my ticket rep and exchanging emails w/ Tom Anselmi. I told them I was pissed off at what they were doing at the club and i wouldn't be renewing. I was of the mind that Anselmi, Mariner and Cochrane had to go.

Then they replaced 2/3 with Payne and Nelsen, with Anselmi getting the boot shortly thereafter. The phone rang again, but I still didn't want any of it.

In no time at all Lieweke comes in, gets rid of Payne, Brings in Bez, Defoe, Bradley, et al and announces he's fucking off. Then Bez fires Nelsen and Defoe looks for all like he's leaving.

All of this in I think about two seasons.

I understand the spirit of the question, and I'm not being snarky, but what am I supposed to be satisfied with ?

This club is jokes from day one. End to end futility, as far as the eye can see.
    that is what I'm wondering.
    if the club clears the smallest hurdle and takes the 5th seed...only to get bounced...
    will that have been enough?
    maybe in year 1 or 2...
    but with the expectations so high, and the solid start that we had...
    I personally don't think it will be enough.
    and I'll be pissed if the team touts a 5th seed playoff appearance as a reason to jack up ticket prices in 2015.