View Poll Results: Given up on post-season play?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

80 47.62%
  • No

65 38.69%
  • Dunno

23 13.69%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was a call from higher end,after all our new coach is their puppet.

Our weakest link since 2007 was always a head coach,it is interesting that we had only 2 coaches with previous head coaching experience,Johnson and Preki,all other coaches TFC hired were at best assistant coaches, some of them academy coaches and in case on Nelsen,no coaching experience at all. Keeping Gilberto out for tonights game is another prove that our coach has no integrity and he bent over for sake of making TL and Defoe happy.

We need a good experienced MLS coach,get out and find one,pay the fine for taking him from another club,who cares,Seattle did with Ziggy,we can do it too. Enough with experiments,we can't afford that shit,clubs that went to playoffs and won MLS Cup(RSL, DC, NER) can afford new young coach and give him 2-3 years to turn around ,we can't, it's time to get good coach and get rid of Defoe,ASAP.

As far this season goes,as much I would like to see TFC going into playoffs,realistically we don't stand a chance,with performance like last night we will lose next 3 games easy,there was no fire from a get go,we had to go down 1-0 in order to get our players pushing forward.
    Well put , sadly, I'll have to agree 100% , the only real answer left for us I guess and it seems many on this board have had this opinion for a while . But the only coach that will work is one that tells mgmt to butt out . Is there anyone crazy enough to want to live in Canada with huge media criticism, cold winters, AND of course MLSE to deal with.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East York View Post
    Not only will we make the post season, we are going to win the WHole Dam thing........... i have also had a lot to drink today
    How can you NOT love this guy.

Shout out to East York, man; used to live in Greektown, myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not giving up on this season, until it's over. Of course, it's not like I'm delusional about the odds, either.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Well put , sadly, I'll have to agree 100% , the only real answer left for us I guess and it seems many on this board have had this opinion for a while . But the only coach that will work is one that tells mgmt to butt out . Is there anyone crazy enough to want to live in Canada with huge media criticism, cold winters, AND of course MLSE to deal with.
    We have media criticism of TFC in Toronto?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    We have media criticism of TFC in Toronto?
    No it's usually just media indifference and irrelevance but every now and then, like when we're close to something notable like the playoffs or another of our otherworldly failures, the media's questions generally border on embarrassing ignorance.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

True. And the commentary on game telecasts by some not named Nigel are difficult to listen too.

You know, TFC is only 3 back of Vancouver in the race for the 2015 CCL birth.

I personally don't care about MLS playoffs anymore. Being in the 50% isn't an achievement and as others have suggested this team is far from being a top club (or Superclub) as some referred to it. I wouldn't expect the playoffs to last long if they do happen to squeak in.

Consider the irony though if they do manage to overtake Vancouver in the final picture. A team that basically quit on earning a CCL birth this year to focus on the MLS Playoffs might miss that but end up getting in the CCL?

I wonder if that would be the ironic spin on the season?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so weary that not sure if anyone falls on their swords exactly where will that get us ? I am glad I'm not running this organization . How many directions can one team take . I genuinely feel for Baz . I think he is sincere and his learning curve just hit a snag . Hate to bring it up because I was as excited as anyone last year but if we progressed slower with Laba et all , would we have been at this same point ? Wish we did but that was simply to easy and not available , I guess? Would we be atrocious without Bradley ? Is he a detriment to our success ? Or do we need BIG names to attract the TO market . Lost and not found I am.
    I want stability as much as the next guy.

But with Bez, he's part of the crew that promised playoffs. If he doesn't deliver, there is no confidence in him. You just can't let someone that has no credibility with anyone in charge of anything.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider him more of bean counter then find a player gm..the fact that he did not bring in any help at the deadline was a big fail for me and the fact that we were 3 players under the imports limit for most of the season was a huge fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I consider him more of bean counter then find a player gm..the fact that he did not bring in any help at the deadline was a big fail for me and the fact that we were 3 players under the imports limit for most of the season was a huge fail.
    I wonder if instability in the organization blinded Bez to the on-field needs of the team.

I don't get why we need a "capologist" - or whatever Leiweke called him - as a GM. Why not have a guy like that in your bean-counting department and have a really knowledgeable soccer guy in the GM position?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Larson indicated they tried to get a CD in. Vanney also indicated that bringing in a player at that position this late would be difficult for all.

The failure was in not getting a better second CD last January. This seems to have been a calculated bet that Henry would continue his upward curve in quality and become an MLS quality starting CD, which has not occurred. If we hadn't drafted Hagglund (who is not bad for a rookie CD), we'd be even worse at the back.

Bez had a good draft and got in some decent enough attacking players who are far more threatening then what we had before.

Morrow is the best player acquisition this year IMHO.

i.e. If we are going to judge Bez, it needs to be on his whole body of work.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-10-2014 at 10:55 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    I wonder if instability in the organization blinded Bez to the on-field needs of the team.

I don't get why we need a "capologist" - or whatever Leiweke called him - as a GM. Why not have a guy like that in your bean-counting department and have a really knowledgeable soccer guy in the GM position?
    Obviously we are all forgetting about the massive hole the previous GMs (excluding Payne) put us in. Bez has such intimate knowlege of all the contracts in the MLS, huge asset to have a guy like that fitting things together. There are a lot of coaches who were working on getting player ideas and contacts made, it is up to Bez to make them fit. TFC switched to a collectively run team on player aquisition, decisions are made by committee now. Someone to oversee and ensure we can fit the players into the team is essential.

If we change that structure then a capologist might not be needed. I do think that the MLS is overly complex with its hidden funds and contract complications though.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I just think his skill set, while good for what it is, is quite limited in comparison to the level the league is moving to. For every one Osorio in Canada's camp, there are about a hundred who don't get a look in the U.S. camp and who don't start on MLS teams, guys who can beat one or two guys to hold onto the ball, but don't have the next gear to move into the space between defensive lines, pull defences out of shape and thread pinpoint passes over more than ten yards.

In MLS now, to be a key player, they need a complete package for their position. Not for other positions, or flexibility. But to start in their position. If you're a winger, you have to have speed, dribbling skills, decent crossing abilities. If you're an AM, you have to have acceleration, pinpoint passing control, a cannon for a long shot.

Consider that Andrew Driver is an across-the-board stronger technical player than any winger we have, and in fact is stronger than any midfielder we have other than Bradley. And he doesn't usually start in Houston. He's a bench player because he's behind a DP.

We made some major steps this year, but the roster was far from done, and is still far from done. Is Vanney the guy? He's doing a lot right, but he's had some tactical stumpers, too, like trying to use Oduro to add urgency to a game where the other team is bunkered in, and he can't get behind them with his speed. And his faith in Bekker is stupefying; maybe he's just giving him a chance to prove he has something before next season.
    I agree with you. To clarify, when I say CM I mean as a two way, box to box mid, not an AM or a DM. I agree with you that he does not have enough to me an effective AM. He is not good enough defensively or physical enough to be a DM, and even to be a better two way player he needs more in terms of physicality. As an AM he has some vision and passing but not enough of anything else ( pace, attacking aggressiveness, inventiveness, shot, dribbling skills)) to be an effective as an AM. When he is on the pitch he is a very neutral, he is not so ineffective to be a liability but he does not rely influence the game either, which to me means he should be a bench player at best. He is someone you can bring on when you need a midfield body because he will not fuck up. Bekker I see in a similar fashion but a step bellow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Henry can be overaggressive but other then that he has the makings of a great cb. In some ways if we had someone who could mentor them and protect them I would like to see Hagland and him be allowed to play and become and effective pairing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The season was lost when we fired Nelson. Immediately after the firing we were shutout twice by Philadelphia. Those losses against a weak team may ultimately be the deciding factors in why we missed the playoffs. Vanney and management promised attacking football but we have been shutout in 4 of Vanney's first 7 games. Nelson was shutout in only 4 of his 21 games. Do the math. The attacking football line was bought by some of us because it sounded exciting versus the rather boring plodding football under Nelson. Crank up the time machine and let us go back to the day of the firing and have Bez swallow his pride and we would now be in a playoff position.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    The season was lost when we fired Nelson.

You do remember that 3-0 loss to NER and how clueless the team was, right?

Was going nowhere.

Had been found out tactically.

If he hadn't been fired then, he would have been fired after we lost twice to Philly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The season was lost before it started. None of our non-DPs would be a starter on a playoff team. Not one.

Really, no team wins the wooden spoon by ten points, and then makes the playoffs. Even by spending $100M. It's only Leiweke with his stupid guarantee that expects otherwise. I was hopeful, it was fun to cheer for a winning team midseason, but in the end, no dice. Face it, in lots of those wins we were lucky, many of us knew it, it caught up to us.

I appreciate that the team gave us some hope this year, that was great. I really like quite a few of our players, we have some great depth guys.

I expect that the team will get killed tonight by NY, and it' s OK.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Hagglund runs look awkward when moving forward. Also, Hagglund doesn't look a soccer player to me and he's actually hurting us more than helping us. I can't believe Henry lost his starting job over Hagglund. Henry is a lot stronger, faster and better defender (as long he doesn't play too aggressive) who based on stats is our best player this year.

Another poor choice by Vanney to not start Henry who could have match speed and physical play from Houston players yesterday.
    Agreed. Surprising he has vanished. I like Hagglund, he has great potential, but Henry is further ahead IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen was fired for telling Bez to butt out. That's what "lost a power struggle" means. Like his coaching skill or not, he clearly knows the game and felt he should have the final call on who should play, acquisitions, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The season was lost when we fired Nelson. Immediately after the firing we were shutout twice by Philadelphia. Those losses against a weak team may ultimately be the deciding factors in why we missed the playoffs. Vanney and management promised attacking football but we have been shutout in 4 of Vanney's first 7 games. Nelson was shutout in only 4 of his 21 games. Do the math. The attacking football line was bought by some of us because it sounded exciting versus the rather boring plodding football under Nelson. Crank up the time machine and let us go back to the day of the firing and have Bez swallow his pride and we would now be in a playoff position.
    Bingo bingo bingo bingo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The season was lost before it started. None of our non-DPs would be a starter on a playoff team. Not one.
    K.
    I dunno Ensco, Morrow for one, and to be fair even playoff teams have players with limited skill sets - they hide them. It's why LA has always been beatable if you attack them - they are hiding some weaknesses at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the big issue is that we haven't been able to figure out how to use Bradley. As skilled as he is (and I love his toughness) we played our best team football in some ways when he was away at the World Cup. Certainly, we have struggled afterwards, and haven't been able to find the right players to play with him or the right role for him either. And he was culpable on all three goals against New England. I actually think Bradley Orr might have been the best player on the roster to sit deep in front of the back four and play with MB. Certainly would not have to worry about him getting caught up the field....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Henry can be overaggressive but other then that he has the makings of a great cb. In some ways if we had someone who could mentor them and protect them I would like to see Hagland and him be allowed to play and become and effective pairing.
    Funny you should say that, as I always felt the same way; seems like the two balance each other out, even: Henry being a bit of a loose cannon (mind, he's mellowed out/matured a fair bit) & Hagglund, the happy-go-lucky beast.

I disagree, here; as ensco has said, we were quite lucky to escape with wins, on a fair many occasions.. and, whilst I think it's still worth noting that we got the result, it's always a risk that sort of play get's found out and catches us up. Further to this point, I think it's worth highlighting that you can have a high-scoring game that's not played in an attacking fashion, versus a nil-nil game that's end to end. Those being the two extremes, I think you can look at our attempted shots for a good read on this; just because we were clinical and nicked our 1/2 of relatively few chances in a game, doesn't mean we play an attacking brand of football.

I'm not all the way sold on Vanney, either, and I keep saying that I desperately wanted Nelsen to make a name for himself, here.. but, I think that the former has a bit more about his approach to suggest he's got a higher ceiling. I don't think Nelsen should have been fired when he was, to be clear; it was either at the end of last season, when we decided to commit to a $$$ approach, or once we were mathematically out of the playoffs. Having said that, Nelsen doesn't cover himself in glory, with all his excuses (the GM saying it needs to be better, after a couple poor performances, should not be a problem).

Really, no team wins the wooden spoon by ten points, and then makes the playoffs. Even by spending $100M. It's only Leiweke with his stupid guarantee that expects otherwise. I was hopeful, it was fun to cheer for a winning team midseason, but in the end, no dice. Face it, in lots of those wins we were lucky, many of us knew it, it caught up to us.

I appreciate that the team gave us some hope this year, that was great. I really like quite a few of our players, we have some great depth guys.

I expect that the team will get killed tonight by NY, and it' s OK.
    I agree with the post, except for where you say none of our non-DP players would start for a playoff side. When more than half the teams make playoffs, surely some of them will have a few weaker players. Perhaps on a side like LA or Seattle, but even they have one or two limited players.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Bingo bingo bingo bingo
    LAUL

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I think the big issue is that we haven't been able to figure out how to use Bradley. As skilled as he is (and I love his toughness) we played our best team football in some ways when he was away at the World Cup. Certainly, we have struggled afterwards, and haven't been able to find the right players to play with him or the right role for him either. And he was culpable on all three goals against New England. I actually think Bradley Orr might have been the best player on the roster to sit deep in front of the back four and play with MB. Certainly would not have to worry about him getting caught up the field....
    bingo bingo bingo bingo

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen squandered all the games in hand and was tactically found out, but he didn't adjust. Just kept rolling out the same lineup and hope his players win through individual skill pretty much. TFC was the most predictable team to play against. And it's not like TFC is so stacked that we can overrun every team with sheer player talent. If insanity is keep doing the same thing but expect to get different results everytime...

Nelsen might have been fired when TFC was 3rd in the East, but TFC was just 3 points above the 6th place team at the time.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have given up on time machines. Mighty hand Lumpy please be careful when time travelling. I've seen that meeting oneself in the past can cause rifts and its one kind of blowup we don't need ever.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I have given up on time machines. Mighty hand Lumpy please be careful when time travelling. I've seen that meeting oneself in the past can cause rifts and its one kind of blowup we don't need ever.
    LOL. We like it back here.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Obviously we are all forgetting about the massive hole the previous GMs (excluding Payne) put us in. Bez has such intimate knowlege of all the contracts in the MLS, huge asset to have a guy like that fitting things together. There are a lot of coaches who were working on getting player ideas and contacts made, it is up to Bez to make them fit. TFC switched to a collectively run team on player aquisition, decisions are made by committee now. Someone to oversee and ensure we can fit the players into the team is essential.

If we change that structure then a capologist might not be needed. I do think that the MLS is overly complex with its hidden funds and contract complications though.
    I wonder what the expiry date is on that contract knowledge? It's gotta be good for a few years but I wonder if it goes beyond that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hyperbole.

Morrow and Osorio would for sure. Jackson, Bloom, Caldwell, and Oduro probably. Bekker would start on half the teams in this league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hyperbole.

Morrow and Osorio would for sure. Jackson, Bloom, Caldwell, and Oduro probably. Bekker would start on half the teams in this league.
    Disagree about every name on that list ex Morrow. Pretty violently in some cases.

I think Creavalle and Morrow are maybe starters for good teams. Maybe Warner too. But they're all maybes.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrow is a starter on most MLS teams. I can't think of many who are significantly better than Morrow. he's just as good as most starting LBs in MLS, if not better

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Predicting it now. We tie the Red Bull, beat Montreal and lose to New England. That loss to Houston was the season. Maybe we pull a tie out in new england, but only if they are resting players for the playoffs. For me, them and DC are the best in the east by a bit.