Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's important here is that it wasn't a promise for the playoffs, it was a guarantee. Promises are easily broken. Guarantees have some type of incentive or repercussion if the guarantee is not met. You apologies for a broken promise; more is required for a guarantee.

PS, funny Simpsons reference.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I disagree.
    Sure, it hasn't resulted in playoffs, and the season could be considered another failure.
    And it seems like we're back where we started.
    But the journey was much different.
    There was a huge energy when we signed Defoe, Bradley and brought in Cesar
    That opener in Seattle provided more excitement than any TFC game in years.
    There was an energy (at times) in BMO this season that was almost extinct.
    Given what TL had to start with, what more could we expect?
    Groundhog Day
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    does anyone actually believe that?

that's ridiculous. ....
    Its painful, but if you take a gander around the mls discussions, that's pretty much the feeling being thrown out there. It usually comes coupled with some idea Bogers has not changed things from what the Teacher's Pension Plan did. I don't think Bogers is stupid enough to hire an Anselmi type here again. Or let Tanenbaum choose the next TFC president.

Mild PTSD?

Nowhere near what people who have faced war and/or death and/or assault have to deal with.

But, its is psychological for some of these people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming the board drove him away.

Say what you will about Lieweke but the upper brass at MLSE have been producing both money and failure long before he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Is there a chance the track will bend...?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its painful, but if you take a gander around the mls discussions, that's pretty much the feeling being thrown out there. It usually comes coupled with some idea Bogers has not changed things from what the Teacher's Pension Plan did. I don't think Bogers is stupid enough to hire an Anselmi type here again. Or let Tanenbaum choose the next TFC president.

Mild PTSD?

Nowhere near what people who have faced war and/or death and/or assault have to deal with.

But, its is psychological for some of these people.
    I hope you're right, but if you look at the content of their TV networks they create themselves it's not very inspiring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everyone here needs to know if they do not know already is that Tanenbaum , bell and rogers do not care about there sport teams they make to much money to care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is, he only has the two major failures. That's Makes KC "Brockton", and us "Ogdenville."

Where's "North Haverbook"? Someone's in for disappointment any day now!

If others of his ilk are any measure, he'll go into movie production. It's one of the easiest ways to use essentially valueless inter-state stock sales (boiler room sales) to raise money quickly from retirees. It's also how a fair swath of hollywood got rich -- they make movies guaranteed to lose money and pay themselves out first for production roles, before writing the whole thing off. It's almost impossible to pursue these cases across state boundaries with criminal penalties (they usually get a public scolding at worst) and the victims have already been suckered out of their savings, so they have no money to pay for civil recourse.

I'd write a book about a few examples I could give you but frankly, digging up stories and dealing with corporate scumbags became exhausting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I hope you're right, but if you look at the content of their TV networks they create themselves it's not very inspiring.
    You can never go wrong underestimating the intelligence of many corporate executives.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    everyone here needs to know if they do not know already is that Tanenbaum , bell and rogers do not care about there sport teams they make to much money to care.
    And, as discussed already, a content provider like Bogers makes more money from a successful team then from a middling one. Tanenbaum is in it for the jollies, and the money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Big name DP did generate the buzz, but Leiweke took the easy way IMO.

He thought 3 expensive DPs would be enough to get wins. It worked in LA, and that means it should work in Toronto, right?
    Depending on what his next move is, I would say he did the all in, Bloody Big Deal thing to make a buzz, get in the playoffs, and be king for a spell because he new he was only here until June 2015 (when his next move starts I guess) and fixing the Hindenberg that is TFC in a short time would look good on any portfolio. He is all about ego and self-advancement after all. Make no mistake about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And, as discussed already, a content provider like Bogers makes more money from a successful team then from a middling one. Tanenbaum is in it for the jollies, and the money.
    Sure, and if they could just buy an already-successful American team the way they buy their already-developed content they could provide us with that. But so far it looks like they are no more successful at developing sports teams than they are at developing any other content on their own.

They are, as you say, content providers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    it took a while for the joke to sink in. thanks for the subconcious inspiration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    Yes, and you didn't feel the need to start your own thread just to make it.
    Your comment probably wasnt necessary. But I'll take it as friendly advice to look through the board before i post something new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He gets A 0 out of 10.....he blew a shit load of money and guaranteed playoffs. Well no playoffs.
    I now believe losing Kevin Payne in liu of Lieweke was a big mistake.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    I'm assuming the board drove him away.

Say what you will about Lieweke but the upper brass at MLSE have been producing both money and failure long before he did.
    I don't know what to think anymore. You could be right. Heck, I sorta want you to be right because I've said that about several past coaches and managers and probably for at least some of them it's completely true.

Maybe we need to stop fighting it. Maybe we need to stop telling ourselves that TFC is different than the Leafs and Raptors. Perhaps it's better to just accept the fact that we are an MLSE team. And because of that, we're going to continue on that proud MLSE tradition of just being run by a bunch of incompetent stooges that may have the resources and fan support to put together a winning team but are simply hamstrung by gross institutional ineptitude.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give Lieweke a 5/10. He had the guts to clean TFC's management house as it really needed a complete makeover. But he was all smoke and mirrors and thought pulling an LA Galaxy type team in T.dot that fans will wanna stay. Getting Defoe shouldn't have been a priority, but aftet somebody leaked Forlan coming to TFC, and than not coming anymore, seems he got over zealous and realized that he needed a big star to get the Forlan negative news outta the media. I think he should've not let go of Payne. Payne was slowly building the team with Laba and Urutti and now seeing them both succeed out West means Kevin Payne would've made TFC a contender eventually, had they been patient. Nelsen should've never been hired. TFC should've risked a chance with Robbo who was Rennie's assistant at that time. Alot of things would've fallen into place slowly, but now MLSE will maybe tighten the purse strings and now it'll be harder to get quality DP's if required.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Your comment probably wasnt necessary. But I'll take it as friendly advice to look through the board before i post something new.
    Yeah - sorry - no harm meant.

It's just that there are so many threads on the same topic spinning around here.

Rate this era. Rate that era. Let's think of different ways of expressing TFC's uncanny ability to snatch failure from the jaws of less failure.

It's all the same and could probably all fit in the same thread.

One really big "We're shit, and we know we are" thread.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will leave things in a worse state of momentum than when he came with his big fail.

After the hard sell to the Board by TL, which has not delivered, I think we are being way to optimistic that the Board will consider continuing the high dollar investment of the past season. There is no one of credibility to set that agenda and influence them going forward into the off season. Nelsen was involved in a lot of the transactions, his relationship with Gilberto agent is a key reason we had a look in, as an example. I think you will see player churn as many are not at ease with what went down this season. I have been told many are weary of Bradly who has more influence than his contribution on the pitch justifies in their eyes. Naturally he is the larger investment. It is not simply a case of dollars, if you are good there are many opportunities. Gilberto may move in and MLS players currently do not want to come here of they have a choice. They all talk and now the culture is considered toxic, no improvement where it matters from TL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    You can't judge Lewieke until 2017 at earliest to see his impact.
    Really????? Are we still holding to the "five year" plan theory????? To me this seasons ended up in disappointment but was a step in the right direction. BUT when I read things like this, I feel like we are back in 2009. We need results and improvement ASAP, not two years from now.

We deserve BUTTER.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Really????? Are we still holding to the "five year" plan theory????? To me this seasons ended up in disappointment but was a step in the right direction. BUT when I read things like this, I feel like we are back in 2009. We need results and improvement ASAP, not two years from now.

We deserve BUTTER.
    BUTTERS?

Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rate him very high on delivering entertainment and excitement. I'm disappointed in the season, but that doesn't take away from the fact that TL made me excited about TFC again. I pretty much figured getting me excited about this team was mission impossible after 2013.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post

We deserve BUTTER.
    Well question was more about TL work overall not just on-field product alone. Yes, TL gets blamed for keeping Nelsen, but TL did delivery big signings and give all resources needed for TFC FO (both on-field and off-field) to succeed.

I believe if we had better a coach, we will be in the playoffs right now. If you look at talent on this team, they're good enough to at least make it to the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    Yeah - sorry - no harm meant.

It's just that there are so many threads on the same topic spinning around here.

Rate this era. Rate that era. Let's think of different ways of expressing TFC's uncanny ability to snatch failure from the jaws of less failure.

It's all the same and could probably all fit in the same thread.

One really big "We're shit, and we know we are" thread.
    Dude, if I was hip and young enough to be able to figure out how to put a sig on my posts, I'd probably have a new one from you weekly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    BUTTERS?

hahahahhaha. They been doing it too us for a while.
    Last edited by trane; 10-16-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointed and disillusioned, Feeling sucker punched by a Snake Oil Salesman

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did someone say butter??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    did someone say butter??
    Nope, BEER...

WE DESERVE (free) BEER!!!!
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those first few months starting with the big announcements were fun, though. Felt good to be a TFC supporter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

without playoffs - it will be a overpromised and underdelivered era - big promises, big deals and a huge budget to get ppl in the stands

sold tickets for the season with LA type moves, but without seeing that TO is its own entity and that MLSE owns/is involved in all the sports franchises here - where does the discretionary money come from? Galaxy taking from the NFL or NBA or MLB is all good, but that does not work here

I was excited because you could see the cross selling/culture with Leafs, Raptors and celebrities at BMO Field - but that went away fast as the Win Loss column left me with a WTF moment at horrid calls, Defoe woes and the slaughter of Bendik - sooo tired of seeing Goal of the week against him and Save of th week featuring our shots on net - but I digress -Leiweke Leid to us