Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Except... we're not contending for the playoffs. Contending means we're actually playing in a way that means we could make it. We aren't. We haven't for most of the season.

I can't disagree more than with this sentiment. This team is, on roster, good enough to make the playoffs if coached properly. Lots of other teams have done it within 18 months of a new coach. This ongoing "rebuilding" statement is a fiction.

I don't think people are reacting like Real Madrid has crumbled; I think they're reacting like the "middle of the Pack" team you describe has crumbled, and it has. We're NOT a middle of the pack team right now, we're bottom of the barrel. Left in the state Nelsen has left them in tactically and in morale, it's a bloody big mess. And yes, hiring a guy like Defoe might have been part of that.

I'm not saying don't take him back, or even that Vanney is the wrong guy -- he certainly understood the tactical errors in the last game -- but the only accurate narrative right now is that a half-decent team has been turned into a shit team once again, by hiring the wrong guys above them.

This team is legitimately maybe three pieces away from contending for a title in this league: another rock-solid CB, an attacking midfielder with explosiveness and maybe one more wide player. If we had that, our other pieces would click a lot easier.

I think people have a right to be upset. Should they have expected Nelsen to flame out ten games before the playoffs? Maybe, as he had no experience. But we were a better team than this earlier this year; this is NOT settling to the middle, this is falling off the pace.
    Tactics are a mess but morale is obviously up to the players and high with Nelsen's departure. Its their own performances have let them down, morale-wise.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Tactics are a mess but morale is obviously up to the players and high with Nelsen's departure. Its their own performances have let them down, morale-wise.
    Maybe, yeah. Hasn't translated yet though because of the aforementioned mess. Certainly, they were about as low as we've seen during the last Nelsen game against New England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still waiting to see if his 10mil dollar paint job was worth it.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Except... we're not contending for the playoffs. Contending means we're actually playing in a way that means we could make it. We aren't. We haven't for most of the season.

I can't disagree more than with this sentiment. This team is, on roster, good enough to make the playoffs if coached properly. Lots of other teams have done it within 18 months of a new coach. This ongoing "rebuilding" statement is a fiction.

I don't think people are reacting like Real Madrid has crumbled; I think they're reacting like the "middle of the Pack" team you describe has crumbled, and it has. We're NOT a middle of the pack team right now, we're bottom of the barrel. Left in the state Nelsen has left them in tactically and in morale, it's a bloody big mess. And yes, hiring a guy like Defoe might have been part of that.
    This sums up my feelings as well. TFC started this season off rather strong. We all remember the big 2-1 win in Seattle to start the season, as well as beating Columbus both home and away. But at the moment we're winless after 5 games - and the teams we faced weren't world-beaters by any stretch. Our last win was against Columbus and that was over a month ago!

The fact is, TFC played pretty solid first half of the season. Definitely not top-rate, but trending well and in a way that would have us make the playoffs with no real trouble. Now, playoffs are still attainable but slowly moving out of our grasp.

To address Pookie's original question, I had always thought the purpose of Leiweke coming in was to revamp MLSE's culture and change it's operating methods. If that was the case, him leaving shouldn't have that much of an effect on the organization. I mean, if a person is brought in specifically to install a new system of how to work and succeed, then them leaving should be of little consequence as long as the aforementioned system is still in place, yes?

The only problem is that at least for TFC, things may be starting to unravel but Leiweke hasn't even left yet. All said, though, I'm still not going to rush to any decision about his tenure until we know we've either made a playoff berth or are sitting out for yet another season.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    This sums up my feelings as well. TFC started this season off rather strong. We all remember the big 2-1 win in Seattle to start the season, as well as beating Columbus both home and away. But at the moment we're winless after 5 games - and the teams we faced weren't world-beaters by any stretch. Our last win was against Columbus and that was over a month ago!

The fact is, TFC played pretty solid first half of the season. Definitely not top-rate, but trending well and in a way that would have us make the playoffs with no real trouble. Now, playoffs are still attainable but slowly moving out of our grasp.

To address Pookie's original question, I had always thought the purpose of Leiweke coming in was to revamp MLSE's culture and change it's operating methods. If that was the case, him leaving shouldn't have that much of an effect on the organization. I mean, if a person is brought in specifically to install a new system of how to work and succeed, then them leaving should be of little consequence as long as the aforementioned system is still in place, yes?

The only problem is that at least for TFC, things may be starting to unravel but Leiweke hasn't even left yet. All said, though, I'm still not going to rush to any decision about his tenure until we know we've either made a playoff berth or are sitting out for yet another season.
    That's assuming he was around long enough to make much of an impact. I don't think you can change an organizational culture like MLSE's overnight.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gate7 View Post
    still waiting to see if his 10mil dollar paint job was worth it.
    It has already been worth it. Does anyone care to imagine attendance without these moves?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has already been worth it. Does anyone care to imagine attendance without these moves?
    I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread. He basically revived the interest in the team with the "Bloody Big Deal". Attendance and interest would have been at an all time low had we not made the big moves we made in the off season.

If we fail to make the playoffs, and Defoe leaves, and we see the people that bought into the Bloody Big Deal walk away en-masse, are we really in any different state that we would have been if it had never happened? I'm not so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. ST renewals would have been well south of 10K. He spent a lot to do it but from a multiple pockets perspective, $2M in ST sales cash flow in operations would have been lost otherwise.

That's what is so staggering about TL's (forced, I guess, due to the press leaks) departure announcement. If he was in place through ST renewals, at least there would be the hope he would make some more magic happen. I doubt he'll leave before ST renewals at this point but as a lame duck, he's done spending money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good that we're adding 10,000 seats right at the time nobody will show up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    That's assuming he was around long enough to make much of an impact. I don't think you can change an organizational culture like MLSE's overnight.
    He's on record as saying the culture has been changed and his tenure was a wonderful success in doing just that.

Our culture pre-Lieweke? Rotate managers, front office circus, and a team that no one really knows what they're about.
    Our culture so far post-Lieweke? (since announcement) Rotate a manager, front office circus and a team that no one really knows what they're about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we fail to make the playoffs, and Defoe leaves, and we see the people that bought into the Bloody Big Deal walk away en-masse, are we really in any different state that we would have been if it had never happened? I'm not so sure.[/QUOTE]

If this were to happen I would call his time here a hallucination. I can't imagine he has too much influence on decisions right now. Perhaps the clarity comes through the new management team and how aggressive they are on improving the team and carrying on what he started.
    Last edited by rowjimi; 09-10-2014 at 09:34 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people are seriously comparing this team to the one from 2012, they are not actually comparing.

Look at the players we had starting at the beginning of last season and who we have now.

We are VASTLY superior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ But are we superior to the team from 2009?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I feel like Leiweke sold us a monorail.
    Nice !

I'll add that it feels like you've stood in line hours for a ride on the best rollercoaster at your lcoal theme park - and it was great - but that was it. It's over. And you've just realised your wallet fell out of your pocket somewhere along the way.

That's what it feels like.

Best just to keep thinking about when you were in the middle of it, all upside-down and screaming and laughing and shit. That was Leiweke... but so's this.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    ^ But are we superior to the team from 2009?
    Absolutely. But because TFC and the league doesn't exist in a vacuum, most MLS clubs are also playing better football than 5 years ago. The overall level of talent playing in the league has steadily increased since then. Because of that, I sorta try to stay away from comparisons of our our current club against previous incarnations of TFC. We don't play against the TFC of 2009 - we play against the Houston Dynamo, Real Salt Lake, and Sporting KC of 2014.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If the TL legacy is about stadium expansion for the Leafs winter classic and as a result BMO sits 5-10k seats empty every game, we can effectively judge that as a failure from the soccer team's perspective. MLSE might count it a success if they make hundreds on every seat for outdoor games and Grey Cups. But we would call it a fail.

As for Leiweke's impact on TFC, I think the best thing he gave us was Bez. An MLS insider who needs to be given time to make this work. Connections and knowledge of the inner workings of the structure are significant pieces that we can't throw away.

If they miss the playoffs, I will rate it as a fail. Only because he said it would be easy and sold people tickets based on his guarantee

His legacy on the roster will be short lived once Defoe goes away. The fact he or Bez didn't trade draft picks is a positive... a big positive... but the results won't be known for years. I call that neutral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke's legacy with TFC could very well end up being an epic disaster.

Defoe wants out after less than one season. Leiweke saddled his hand picked GM with an inexperienced coach that was out of his element. TFC is projected to lose a considerable amount of money for the foreseeable future, particularly if the stadium renovation project moves forward.

However, Bez was a solid hire, and if this team can turn things around and make the playoffs, it will mitigate some of the damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Did Leiweke sell us a mono rail?

Did MLSE get bamboozled by Lieweke?

It seems little has changed in the way of culture.
    TFC is going to have an empty stadium (all we needed was a roof)
    The leafs were off to a bad start looking ill prepared. Too soon to tell.
    The raptors may have a chance, not sure how if the the fake culture they are creating with we are north is sustainable (not to mention poor gramar). Still missing a superstar that wants to play in Toronto

Doesnt feel all too diferent from past efforts at TFC, except it has alot more jazz.

Sad part, it feels like everything is falling apart as Tim L leaves to bigger better warmer things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Did MLSE get bamboozled by Lieweke?

It seems little has changed in the way of culture.
    TFC is going to have an empty stadium (all we needed was a roof)
    The leafs were off to a bad start looking ill prepared. Too soon to tell.
    The raptors may have a chance, not sure how if the the fake culture they are creating with we are north is sustainable (not to mention poor gramar). Still missing a superstar that wants to play in Toronto

Doesnt feel all too diferent from past efforts at TFC, except it has alot more jazz.

Sad part, it feels like everything is falling apart as Tim L leaves to bigger better warmer things.

Maybe only to those that actually believed things could be changed within a 2 year period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's an excellent and hilarious simpsons reference.

Yes he totally did as far as TFC is concerned.

Now i am not saying that many here actually believed that we had a top team on our hands, but the way Tim Liewike talked about the team after the Defoe and Bradley signings he sounded just like Lyle Lanley.

I wish we still had Payne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This talk of the world ending and TFC in worse shape then it was 3 seasons ago is so over the top, its becoming farcical in and of itself.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Credit bro. Shame on OP! lol jk

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we sing the monorail song Saturday?

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, and you didn't feel the need to start your own thread just to make it.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree.
    Sure, it hasn't resulted in playoffs, and the season could be considered another failure.
    And it seems like we're back where we started.
    But the journey was much different.
    There was a huge energy when we signed Defoe, Bradley and brought in Cesar
    That opener in Seattle provided more excitement than any TFC game in years.
    There was an energy (at times) in BMO this season that was almost extinct.
    Given what TL had to start with, what more could we expect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the next guy in charge won't have the distraction of the NFL-to-Toronto and be able to just run the teams that are actually here.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    This talk of the world ending and TFC in worse shape then it was 3 seasons ago is so over the top, its becoming farcical in and of itself.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big name DP did generate the buzz, but Leiweke took the easy way IMO.

He thought 3 expensive DPs would be enough to get wins. It worked in LA, and that means it should work in Toronto, right?

Little did he realize that LA was blessed that their DPs played at least 80% of the games. TFC? not so much. Problem with putting all your eggs in one (well, 3) baskets. You hope that your DPs are injury free and don't get called away too often. USMNT fans may hate Klinsmann for not calling up Donovan for WC, but for Galaxy, that was an incredible blessing as Landon now needed to prove something and went on beast mode.

It's always a risk when your roster is too top heavy, and you need an astute manager to be able to manage the DPs and the rest of the squad properly.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    does anyone actually believe that?

that's ridiculous. however it doesn't change the fact that Liewike was bragging about how he fixed the team a short time ago and i don't know about you guy but i don't see any evidence of that.