Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a range of possible explanation but I prefer one that is simple - the move was more about getting on the England squad than everyone thought, including Defoe. After the WC, with things not going well and constant inquiries about coming back to PL, the project just didn't seem as compelling. Throw on top of that TL leaving, that was probably enough. He may have assumed that if MLSE got their money back in the transfer, they wouldn't care if he left.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Although I was just as ecstatic as everyone else when the Defoe signing was confirmed, the current situation is precisely why I initially had reservations about Leiweke's all or nothing approach in the off season. I'm sure Defoe helped sell tickets, but practically speaking, I think the club would be better off with a lesser known young DP that is durable and capable of scoring goals in this league.
    Attaboy. Welcome to my team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm....the Daily Mail?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ummm....the Daily Mail?
    Hey a broken clock is right at least twice right? We are TFC after all, if the mail is going to get a rumor right its going to be for us.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-05-2014 at 07:02 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Harry Redknapp and Defoe have a relationship that goes way back, so when he says Defoe wanted out, I tend to believe him.

So let's ask the question: what if defoe's request came BEFORE we heard about any of this? What if he was refusing to play?
    This is the puzzle that has me raising an eyebrow.

Reports from QPR is that they… QPR… had a deal in place and backed out of the deal when they found out that Defoe wasn't going to be released. They wanted him now.

Presumably, they made they deal with full knowledge of his "injury" situation including the speculations from Bez that Defoe might need surgery.

A guy who may need surgery doesn't fit into the "now" category.

Related, IF the reports today are true in that Defoe is looking to become a free agent and buy himself out of his TFC contract to force a move now… again, those aren't the actions of someone who might need surgery. There would be no value in forcing a contract buyout out of his own pocket when he needs time to recover.

Both of those revelations… IF TRUE… big IF…. would seemingly suggest a player that is ready to play or at least ready to play soon.

Those puzzle pieces start to look like a hold out situation. Again, if true are the big words in this equation. QPR's statements are taken directly from HR. The most recent thing seems to be speculation but we haven't heard from Defoe in a few days now so it's hard not to give it some weight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    This is the puzzle that has me raising an eyebrow.

Reports from QPR is that they… QPR… had a deal in place and backed out of the deal when they found out that Defoe wasn't going to be released. They wanted him now.

Presumably, they made they deal with full knowledge of his "injury" situation including the speculations from Bez that Defoe might need surgery.

A guy who may need surgery doesn't fit into the "now" category.

Related, IF the reports today are true in that Defoe is looking to become a free agent and buy himself out of his TFC contract to force a move now… again, those aren't the actions of someone who might need surgery. There would be no value in forcing a contract buyout out of his own pocket when he needs time to recover.

Both of those revelations… IF TRUE… big IF…. would seemingly suggest a player that is ready to play or at least ready to play soon.

Those puzzle pieces start to look like a hold out situation. Again, if true are the big words in this equation. QPR's statements are taken directly from HR. The most recent thing seems to be speculation but we haven't heard from Defoe in a few days now so it's hard not to give it some weight.
    When this all first broke, I really wondered if Defoe was actually injured or not. Wouldn't be the first time an injury was faked under such circumstances, won''t be the last. I also don't think we will ever see Defoe in a TFC jersey again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Defoe was looking for fame. Came to T.O and realized he wasn't going to be the big shit Beckham was and also realized the quality of football was nowhere what he was sold. He's not a family guy with wife and kids, so unlike a Koevermans, he's not looking to settle down. So he really has nothing to be here for.
    This is it. The marketing that went into this signing gave Defoe huge expectations. Then he shows up at BMO and regardless of the announcements it's not exactly a full house. Like I said before..he saw the Lieweke-Beckham connection and wanted to be the big fish in the little pond here. Unfortunately he didn't realize just how small and shitty the pond really is and now he wants out.

As for when all this happened - after the world cup break when we saw that drop in form (coupled with Gilberto starting to score - around the time I started my much despised 'Is Defoe disruptive?' thread and then we saw the team start to play like they didn't actually wanna play anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    There is a range of possible explanation but I prefer one that is simple - the move was more about getting on the England squad than everyone thought, including Defoe. After the WC, with things not going well and constant inquiries about coming back to PL, the project just didn't seem as compelling. Throw on top of that TL leaving, that was probably enough. He may have assumed that if MLSE got their money back in the transfer, they wouldn't care if he left.
    He just didn't like being outscored by Bradley Wright-Phillips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    He just didn't like being outscored by Bradley Wright-Phillips.
    I'm sure he's not the only one.