Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Matchday 25: Toronto at Philadelphia, Wed 3 Sept 7pm

TV: TSN2

I don't even know if Vanney will have an assistant with him for this game. Philly had Sat off and rested, plus they are coming into form. I'm curious to see if TFC will respond to Vanney or not.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro · 42m

Looks like #TFC academy coaches Jon Conway and Nick Thesolf working with Vanney and the players on the field at practice this morning.

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro · 38m

Jason Bent staying on as #TFC assistant coach. Theslof and Conway are also assistant coaches, we're being told.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Theslof

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be interesting to see how aggressive we come out and who is even in the lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll find out what this team is made of over the next few games. At the very least, I expect a total team effort from the opening whistle, which has been lacking for quite some time.

I am also curious to see if Vanney's changes to the deployment of our formation will generate more offensive opportunities.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T-F-C clapclapclap ACADEMY clapclapclap...

I'll be at Joe's for this one. With Canada tix as well.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're playing in Philly with a new coach and only one day of practice and a slap-dash backline. I say Union wins 3-1. The only bright spot in the lineup will be if Morgan gets one final chance to prove he belongs/doesn't belong in MLS. If he performs well, then I'll have to question Nelsen's past judgement.
    Last edited by Initial B; 09-02-2014 at 01:29 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd really like to see us run a 4-3-3. I think our players have the skills for it and it fits with our lineup, but it's probably a tough call at this stage of the season.

When we have the ball, I'd try to play it this way:

Osorio, Gilberto and Moore play an inside-out game, where they make diagonal or horizontal runs that pull defenders with the others running into the space created. This would give Moore and Oso lots of options for passing and they'd have support from Bradley (inside), Bloom (outside) or Gilberto (up front) providing the triangle for passing. Moore does a good job of getting into the mix, knocking balls to Gilberto and they would be welcome to swap positions when they saw fit, with Osorio filling in behind.

Bradley provides the push up the middle, supporting Oduro's mad dashes down the right or giving the Oso/Moore/Gilberto trio a great option to switch back around. He can also, as he has shown, arrive late after the front trio has taken the ball deep. Him and Osorio both have the passing vision for this and having Warner mopping up would allow Bradley a bit more liberty to push up, although he would still very much have a key defensive role. Bloom has the legs to get up and down the pitch, and although I much prefer him on the right, he's probably our best option on the left until Morrow gets back, unless Ashtone Morgan somehow makes a triumphant return. Hagglund would have to be a bit more defensive on the right side, given that Oduro is going to be going forward with freedom and Bradley is going to be the one running into that channel behind him if play goes down the right.

By drawing defenders toward the potent trio of Osorio, Moore and Gilberto on the left, it gives Oduro the space he needs to run at defenders and pull them out of position, opening up space for said trio or for a trailing Bradley. If the ball stays on the right, Osorio then comes over to support toward the middle, Hagglund and Warner keep a relatively high line and act as an outlet if the cross isn't on, but also guard against a quick counter. In that scenario, Moore is the far post man and Gilberto either shows for low passes or drives toward the penalty spot for the cross.

Defending, we rely on high pressure from Moore and Oduro, as well as Gilberto's ability to run forever and drop back to help the midfield. Bradley drops back in front of the D to help Warner and Osorio fades left to support on that side. Given the speed of Gilberto and Oduro, this would also allow us to recover balls with the option of Oso or Bradley using their vision to spring the counter.

Anyway, maybe I play too much Football Manager, but I see this as a fairly dynamic system that would work with the talent we have, give us more options and still have good shape without the ball, provided the players play their roles. Am I off base with my assessments of any of the guys? I've watched a lot of the matches on MLS Live, but not every single minute of every single game.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack; 09-02-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Paragraphs and spelling
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two BIG matches with the Union:
    - we have only one game in hand
    - we are only three points ahead,
    TFC must get their act together starting this Wednesday!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting observations Jack, and I agree, but Vanney has already stated that he is going to implement a modified 4-4-2 with our midfielders pressing forward to create more offensive channels.

I would go with this lineup tomorrow:

---------------Bendik---------------

Bloom--Hagglund--Henry--Morgan

Oduro--Bradley---Osorio--Jackson

----------Gilberto--Moore----------

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney indicating we will see new players on Wednesday. Morgan and?

Roberts?

Richter?

Does DeRo count as new?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really want Morgan to be playing after missing the entire season? I'm very very curious to see what Vanney does. I told myself right after the NER loss that I'd be skipping the next couple of matches out of sheer frustration. But now of course I"ll be watching.

Vanney talked about using his Canadian talent. Is Morgan the best option at LB currently (possibly)? Bekker or DeRo get a sniff? I'm not sure who they'd replace to be honest.

I've always said that I thought Nelson did a good job of judging his talent and available options. I guess I'll soon find out if he was right and if I was right in supporting him or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TBH, I'd totally give Roberts a chance. But a this point in the season I dont' know.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Interesting observations Jack, and I agree, but Vanney has already stated that he is going to implement a modified 4-4-2 with our midfielders pressing forward to create more offensive channels.

That lineup, with Bradley and Oso pressing forward, should help us create more, but if they get caught upfield, that backline doesn't really inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Vanney indicating we will see new players on Wednesday. Morgan and?

Roberts?

Richter?

Does DeRo count as new?
    Morgan's development has really gone sideways, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget that Becker, Roberts and DeRo are with the Canadian team and are not available for either Philly game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney already said he'll be playing 4-4-2 because that system fits the players we have (which I agree with).

I just want to see something different tomorrow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-1 tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    4-1 tfc
    3-0 TFC - Goalberto with 2, Bradley with the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...rtin-confident

Somewhat encouraging that they'll have some absences too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson reports that Bradley will be playing more up the field. Vanney like's his ability to close down, make the final pass and arrive late to the box (aka at the right time). Who is our DM at the back then? Does Orr slide in to that position with Warner being taken out? Is Oso still a winger with freedom to move (he's looked very good late, when given the ability to roam)? I'd have to think that Morgan is going to get a shot, otherwise Vanney's "Canadian Player" comments are all for naught.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Vanney already said he'll be playing 4-4-2 because that system fits the players we have (which I agree with).

I just want to see something different tomorrow.
    I guess it depends on which players you select. With Oduro/Bradley/Osorio/Jackson in the starting lineup, 4-4-2 fits the players. If you go with Warner over Jackson and push Oduro further up the wing, then it changes the shape. That said, I'd be happy with those four across the middle, but I am concerned about our backline without Morrow and Caldwell. Especially if he wants Bradley and Osorio to push up and create more chances, those guys could end up exposed on the counter. That said, Philly doesn't have the most speedy front line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I was thinking the same thing Jack... With who we have available - pushing forward could really open us up at the back...

That being said, I always prefer a pressing, close'em down attitude on the pitch. That doesn't mean we need to send 10-men rush forward into the box, but just close down the opposition and take away their time and space...

This match boils down to a phrase that is OVERUSED SO MUCH. That being MUST WIN. Technically 'must' we win this match or the season is done - no. But the shit-storm will be HUGE if we don't...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

If that lineup is true...we are going to get MASSACRED on our left.....Morgan, Henry and Jackson.....not ONE of them are even COMPETENT defensively.....I see a 4-0 Philly win.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    3-0 TFC - Goalberto with 2, Bradley with the other.
    3 Defoe - 0 Philly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    If that lineup is true...we are going to get MASSACRED on our left.....Morgan, Henry and Jackson.....not ONE of them are even COMPETENT defensively.....I see a 4-0 Philly win.....
    Except for Jackson and Henry...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Except for Jackson and Henry...
    LOL, I love how people continue to shit on Henry for the odd boneheaded younger player play when he's so dominant so often. Look up his ratings on the online stat databases; some have him at over 7 a game and our best player. I'm not going that far but if people don't recognize what we've got with him yet, they'll wonder what the fuss is when he goes overseas. He's still young, but he's becoming a dominant central defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listening to Vanney's interview after practice today, I think we will see a more aggressive squad that will try to dictate play as opposed to sit back and wait for the opportunity to counter.

I think that style of play suits our personnel far more than Nelsen's strategy, and myself and many others have echoed those sentiments many times this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad for Vanney in a way, because if we lose this game badly, then everybody is going to say: why did we fire Nelsen for this? BUT if we win the game then Vanney will be a hero!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    LOL, I love how people continue to shit on Henry for the odd boneheaded younger player play when he's so dominant so often. Look up his ratings on the online stat databases; some have him at over 7 a game and our best player. I'm not going that far but if people don't recognize what we've got with him yet, they'll wonder what the fuss is when he goes overseas. He's still young, but he's becoming a dominant central defender.
    I love what I see from him, but man, his boneheaded moves sure are spectacular

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be interested to see how / if Morgan plays. The league certainly found him out after a while (no right foot, can be forced into bad decisions when put under pressure) but he did play a heck of a lot better under certain systems/coaches than others.

If they invert Osorio and actually run Morgan into space he does put in a good cross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I feel bad for Vanney in a way, because if we lose this game badly, then everybody is going to say: why did we fire Nelsen for this? BUT if we win the game then Vanney will be a hero!

Yup, and as fans we need to realize neither of those two scenarios will be true.

He isn't the second coming of Christ based on one game and he sure isn't worse that the previous coach based on one game either.

Hopefully as a group we can play it level headed and watch all ten games out before getting into a frenzy one way or the other.