Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defoe out also?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Well jesus. We're not even going to have enough time to get a replacement (not necessarily a striker, but anyone).

Fuck man. This sucks. Leiweke leaving torpedoed this club, or at least the current plan.

edit: Still talking about how "if things change" about Defoe... yup, he's gone.
    Well, technically… Defoe isn't playing in September so quite a big chance that he isn't here… even if he's here… you know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well, technically… Defoe isn't playing in September so quite a big chance that he isn't here… even if he's here… you know?
    Would've been nice to squeak into the playoffs and ride him as long as possible. Gonna have to wait a while for the next DP now.

We all need to pray Gilberto stays healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question:

Does this ruin our chances of landing a 'marquee' name? Even with all the bloody marketing it didn't turn into a bloody big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro is reporting an $11 million bid from QPR has been made.

Given the circumstances... take that money and fucking run. We paid $10 million for him.

Christ. This team man. Running out of things to say.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Question:

Does this ruin our chances of landing a 'marquee' name? Even with all the bloody marketing it didn't turn into a bloody big deal.
    On the pitch? It didn't last. In the media and stands? It did the job. I can't believe where we would be if the majority of fans didn't stick around or come back to see if this team finally turned around. In most of the public eye we just admitted a season failure until we make the playoffs.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Molinaro is reporting an $11 million bid from QPR has been made.

Given the circumstances... take that money and fucking run. We paid $10 million for him.

Christ. This team man. Running out of things to say.
    Yeah, that turns out to be very punitive from a financial pov.

But brand wise TFC look terrible. They are going to have to explain (yet again), to a lot of people why they are pulling the plug on something they marketed non-stop.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, that turns out to be very punitive from a financial pov.

But brand wise TFC look terrible. They are going to have to explain (yet again), to a lot of people why they are pulling the plug on something they marketed non-stop.
    Not to me they won't

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put that 30,000 seat stadium on hold! ahah. oh man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In MLS you can't use 2 dp's on strikers. I would sell defoe and bring in an Attacking mid to help ease the ball possession placed on Bradley. Gilberto has played well and I think we can better use that money for a guy that can flat out pass and create

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    In MLS you can't use 2 dp's on strikers. I would sell defoe and bring in an Attacking mid to help ease the ball possession placed on Bradley. Gilberto has played well and I think we can better use that money for a guy that can flat out pass and create
    Agreed. Pedro Morales right now would make our team dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    So which attacking mid is available next season?? Laba's transfer money is still owed. I say we ask for Morales, and abit of money and call it a day and bang, we finalize the Laba transfer and TFC gets there attacking midfielder. Or they could continually scour Europe and South America and get into another big fight with AFA over trying to lure a promising attacking midfielder from there club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    On the pitch? It didn't last. In the media and stands? It did the job. I can't believe where we would be if the majority of fans didn't stick around or come back to see if this team finally turned around. In most of the public eye we just admitted a season failure until we make the playoffs.
    Who will still want to come here if it wasn't good enough for Defoe (it being the city, the team or the league.) Was Defoe upset that he wasn't receiving as much attention as he thought he would with all the marketing? And if that's the case will that help or hamper our pursuit of big names.I mean Frings liked that he wasn't bothered here but for a mid level intl player maybe they want tp be the big fish in the3 small pond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From today's presser: "Defoe is still a Toronto FC player"

God if I worked in media I might not be able to resist baiting him to say it, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to bring this shit up again but now it looks like we got rid of Laba so that we could loan Defoe for 3/4 of a season (which for the time he played was only 1/2 a season).

If we don't make the playoffs it's all for nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Question:

It took TL convincing the Board with the $$s couple with Nelson contacts to get Defoe...don't think any of that will occur in a hurry again. Combined with brainless management, Defoe and Nelson mostly likely bad mouthing us to all in sundry in Europe we will be look at MLS players going forward me thinks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    It took TL convincing the Board with the $$s couple with Nelson contacts to get Defoe...don't think any of that will occur in a hurry again. Combined with brainless management, Defoe and Nelson mostly likely bad mouthing us to all in sundry in Europe we will be look at MLS players going forward me thinks.
    If Gilberto was an avg striker in Brazil, and with the rise of Latin America, why do we waste time hunting for players in the UK? Anybody on that Costa Rican NT would be welcome here. Defoe leaving might be a good omen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never liked bringing in players from Europe...too pricey,caldwell 350k odea in that range,got to look to SA and AFRICA to find those gems.
    if DEFOE goes got to get a #10 type player like morales.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Higuain from Columbus available, even for the short term?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure we should say we spent lots of money brining in players from "europe". We all know where the money was spent and why.

I'm with Chevy on this one. Go find players in parts of the world where they're less expensive and more talented.

This makes me miss guys like Guevara and Laba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Is Higuain from Columbus available, even for the short term?
    I'd love him. Not sure his style would be well accepted here though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not mad if we replace Defoe with a player of comparable calibre in an attacking/creative position

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I'd love him. Not sure his style would be well accepted here though.
    Is this cause he's British? It's cuz he's British isn't it.

Seriously more people would have more of an issue with him than Oduro coming from Columbus.

Not to say I wouldn't have to be on board as soon as he'd sign but I'd prefer another "British" player from outside our league.

And if I'm off base from where you're coming from what style of Higuains would be unacceptable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold your horses?

Molinaro: Bez: "I believe [Defoe is] going to stay but there’s still time between now and the end of the transfer window.” #TFC

https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/sta...08694594711553

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    If Gilberto was an avg striker in Brazil, and with the rise of Latin America, why do we waste time hunting for players in the UK? Anybody on that Costa Rican NT would be welcome here. Defoe leaving might be a good omen.
    We don't. We use contacts we already have in the UK. Hunting is for SA and this "rise of Latin America" has been pretty much decades long. You make it sound like no one watches the world cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer laba over defoe anyway.....I still fantasize of the day we play Bradley alongside Laba

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Is this cause he's British? It's cuz he's British isn't it.

Seriously more people would have more of an issue with him than Oduro coming from Columbus.

Not to say I wouldn't have to be on board as soon as he'd sign but I'd prefer another "British" player from outside our league.

And if I'm off base from where you're coming from what style of Higuains would be unacceptable?

Hahaha..I'm not sure our fan base (and those in this country in general) like the type of player as Higuain. A little dramatic yes he is. Not the quickest which people don't like. But I love his vision. His direction of his entire team. The way he links his back line and his goal scorers and the way he determines the pace of the game.

He's also very good on dead ball service. I love players like him. I don't think the whole team should be like him cause they'd look like old men and just get run by hahaha.

But a guy of his style is what we've almost never had. Guevara was close but not quite.

Think…a poor mans Pirlo. Slow but brilliant. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if my dream came true (I know it's not possible but I'll say it anyway lol) I'd go after a kid like Bryan Cristante.

Let me say of course that I'm totally biased because AC Milan is the other team I love but imagine this.

We get 11 million for Defoe and use it to get a 19 year old central midfielder who is kinda like Pirlo. Can be the deep laying central guy in a 4-3-3 (imagine him being the link between our defenders while he serves Bradley and Osorio) with the skill and technical ability to dictate the pace of the game.

Is a big kid and fast and strong too. Oh and don't forget. His pops was born in Canada and he has dual citizenship with Canada and Italy.

I know its a pipe dream but I would literally freak if they acquired him on loan for a couple years. Problem is that Milan would never do it. Not because of any reason other than the fact that he just wouldn't grow in to a better player here. He'd be the best player on the team.

Ok…my weird dream is over.

I hope they use the Defoe money well…if he leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pookie after finding out defoe is leaving:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    And if my dream came true (I know it's not possible but I'll say it anyway lol) I'd go after a kid like Bryan Cristante.

Let me say of course that I'm totally biased because AC Milan is the other team I love but imagine this.

We get 11 million for Defoe and use it to get a 19 year old central midfielder who is kinda like Pirlo. Can be the deep laying central guy in a 4-3-3 (imagine him being the link between our defenders while he serves Bradley and Osorio) with the skill and technical ability to dictate the pace of the game.

Is a big kid and fast and strong too. Oh and don't forget. His pops was born in Canada and he has dual citizenship with Canada and Italy.

I know its a pipe dream but I would literally freak if they acquired him on loan for a couple years. Problem is that Milan would never do it. Not because of any reason other than the fact that he just wouldn't grow in to a better player here. He'd be the best player on the team.

Ok…my weird dream is over.

I hope they use the Defoe money well…if he leaves.
    Kills me that we wait until the end of the transfer window to start looking.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If we can get 11 million for a 31-year-old with bad hamstrings and groins, it's not a bad thing. I love his goal-scoring, but he had missed a lot of time this season and his injuries will get worse as he gets older, especially with the MLS schedule and playing surfaces. Going with Gilberto up front and bringing back Laba would be alright in my book, as would bringing in someone more creative. That said, we could probably get more out of Oso's creativity. I'd like to see a three-man mid with Osorio and Bradley in front of Warner as the destroyer, Gilberto up top between Moore and Oduro. I hope Bez can turn this situation into something positive.

I have to look at this in a positive perspective because holy fuck.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy