Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    First he says they planned this yet Vanney hasn't considered one thing related to staff, etc. This happened last night.
    I don't think they planned to fire him until after the game yesterday after Nelsen's comments. I really think Nelsen is the reason the boys were effected by Bez words. I'm willing to bet that he went in there and said shit he shouldn't have and just left the players blah. Nelsen gave up. And he was canned.. I'm betting someone in the locker room isn't happy with him, and said so after the game to Bez.

Be it Bradley, or DeRo or someone else... it was not great.

My hope is that Bradley has been unhappy with Nelsen, and his lackluster play has been a result of that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

5pm transfer window tomorrow.

I speculated that the Defoe situation wouldn't play out until the end of the season. I recant that. Sorry folks. I was wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the more i think about this the more i think that bez brought in vanney 6 months ago knowing that he would take over from nelsen as soon as he had a reason

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love an experienced head coach who's a proven winner, takes responsibility for losses, is a strong personality and doesn't talk shite. Is that that hard to find? Vanny is none of those things. Very disappointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we'll see a reshuffling of playing time after this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Because that's never happened before in professional sports right?

Vanny is basically undressing Nelsen's tactics right now and he's right. Now he's not the person I want replacing him - would rather have someone experienced - but at least this expresses an understanding of the way football has been played in the last 25 years.
    Nelsen's fucking around with Warner and Bradley basically lost him his job.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney understands tactics, much more than Nelsen has. He also has actual coaching experience, although not at this level. That being said, I would prefer first team experience.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    I'd love an experienced head coach who's a proven winner, takes responsibility for losses, is a strong personality and doesn't talk shite. Is that that hard to find? Vanny is none of those things. Very disappointed.
    How do you know he's none of those things except highly experienced? Yet again, made up negative facts rule the narrative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good riddance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Nelsen's fucking around with Warner and Bradley basically lost him his job.
    Agreed.

Vanney just addressed having "more defined roles" again. Nelsen definitely did not get the middle of the park sorted. They pulley system was garbage and yesterday was just another example of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Vanney understands tactics, much more than Nelsen has. He also has actual coaching experience, although not at this level. That being said, I would prefer first team experience.
    So would I. I just don't think there's anyone out there right now. On the upside, somoene working in tandem with a very capable guy like Bez can't be a bad thing. Vanney and Bez are definitely on the same page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought we should have signed Gila anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    That's what he says. You really think the Defoe conversation hasn't been on for weeks now?
    I think you're conflating some things. I get that you wanted Defoe out, that's fine. But doing you think this coaching change was even remotely thought out? That they were so impressed with Greg Vanney as a coaching saviour that they just had to get him in charge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, I'm cautiously optmostic about Vanney. He could see very clealry what the problems were with this team under Nelsen and said a lot of good things about how to improve this team. In the long-term, he also sees the importance of a good academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I always thought we should have signed Gila anyway.
    We need to stop buying into somebody else's brand and picking up guys on the back end of their career. You can go to South America or middle rung european leagues and pick up very high quality players who have 6-8 years of high level football left, don't have the same level of injury risk, and can perform in this league.

I don't want anybody I've heard of before they show up here. I want people coming to watch TFC, not "guy from my country that used to be good".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you're conflating some things. I get that you wanted Defoe out, that's fine. But doing you think this coaching change was even remotely thought out? That they were so impressed with Greg Vanney as a coaching saviour that they just had to get him in charge?
    There is no way he gets approval to let Nelsen go unless he's walked the more senior people through it or kept them up to date about what expectations are. He's too new to have the ability to pull the trigger on it himself.

I'm surprised they did it this quickly but Nelsen unloading yesterday after the presser makes more sense in the context that he knew he was done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not because he was the other option, but because it seems as if he would have been a better fit with Gilberto. We all knew the Defoe-Gilberto partnership wasn't going to work. We had heard Gilberto liked to play up top.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have to think that since Bez didn't hire Nelsen there was always an element of "proof" that RN had to exhibit. TB did hire Vanney though so there is a level of trust and don't think that he didn't contemplate the idea that this day would eventually come.

Most new GMs will come in and eventually replace staff with their own.

Not to oversimplify it but there is a cycle and it all relates to buying time. Sports management always carries an element of self preservation.

New GM gives the existing staff time because it is a no lose situation. If the existing staff wins, everyone is happy. If they lose, they can be moved, the GM says that it wasn't his guy and replacements happen. More time is given.

Bez is now on the clock though. In not making Vanney interim, he is hitching his ride to Greg. He might be able to squeeze one more coaching change out of it but with Defoe leaving, I suspect his clock will be skipping ahead a few hours.

I don't think for a second that Bez felt RN was his coach forever. I suspect he was tired of "excuses" as he noted in his press conference and seized the corner backing situation that RN put him in to put his own plan into play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is easier to talk the talk on tactics..the issue is theses players have not demonstrated consistently the ability to do what is required and especially Brady post-op. Current he is going nowhere as I suspect on current form no one may want him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe Vanney will get a true DP CAM in the next window. Could be interesting. Mean time survey says we implode down the stretch this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This move is cover your ass shite. Things aren't going well, fire the coach (which shifts blame to him), hire a new one (to show you are doing something) and if things don't end well you can't be called a "do-nothing manager" which means you are totally to blame. This move is the second worst move in TFC history. It is right behind Aron Winter and the hiring of Paul Mariner. This new guy is too full of clichés for my liking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    To me, I'm cautiously optmostic about Vanney. He could see very clealry what the problems were with this team under Nelsen and said a lot of good things about how to improve this team. In the long-term, he also sees the importance of a good academy.
    I'm thoroughly convinced that my beer league coach can run a team better than Nelsen. Vanney must be an upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Jermain has left to have his injury checked out.
    They have received many offers but one they are discussing over the next 24 hours.

Writing meet the wall.
    And Harry Redknapp is looking to add to his team before the transfer window ends tomorrow.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because of how he came across in the conference and because he's got no high level experience to speak of. Bez talked about results being what matterd but new coach hasnt won anything of significance according to wiki. He's an experiment. Good luck to him. Its my sense he will fail, I hope i'm wrong, but seems to me he's a "yes man" for Bez.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*SIGH*

Sometimes I think the soccer gods hate Toronto with a white hot passion.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
    This move is cover your ass shite. Things aren't going well, fire the coach (which shifts blame to him), hire a new one (to show you are doing something) and if things don't end well you can't be called a "do-nothing manager" which means you are totally to blame. This move is the second worst move in TFC history. It is right behind Aron Winter and the hiring of Paul Mariner. This new guy is too full of clichés for my liking.
    Brendan Rodgers is more full of cliches than a Death Wish movie.

I don't see how this was a bad hire. Something had to be done. After yesterday, Nelsen just wasn't going to cut it. what did you want them to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed.

Vanney just addressed having "more defined roles" again. Nelsen definitely did not get the middle of the park sorted. They pulley system was garbage and yesterday was just another example of it.
    Right. Everybody with a little bit of tactical sense understands that we needed a designated holder. Yet, Nelsen and his coaching staff couldn't figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by speckles View Post
    It is easier to talk the talk on tactics..the issue is theses players have not demonstrated consistently the ability to do what is required and especially Brady post-op. Current he is going nowhere as I suspect on current form no one may want him.
    That's all on Nelsen's tactics. Bradley can be better if Nelsen hadn't leashed him.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

QPR reportedly offering $11M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man. I would've taken Aron Winter back in a heartbeat pre season. At least the guy understood tactics and was trying to implement a system, from the bottom up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since he is not an interim, when is Vanney contract will run to?

I wonder if Bez repeating Paynes mistake here with rookie coach?

He could have had Laudrup, who ended up in Qatar.