Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1593
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    well, the Moderator did say my comments were ridiculous. Not really for him to say.

objective fact: Nelsen was the coach. We were in third. There you go.
    Speaking of objectivity, you'll notice in the same post you reference I agree with an opinion you have. You keep on simplifying your message to obvious facts and ignoring any convo on debatable points you make. That's called deflecting.

I took something you said you would have preferred to have been done and asked you a question about how it could have been possible. Instead of answering or asking me to clarify you took the entire post as an insult and dismissed it as nonsensical.

I believe you are baffled, as you say, but just dismissing people or opinions that disagree with yours doesn't help.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure anymore about this. QPR are getting relegated this season, don't care what anyone says, they face a huge fine from FFP and demotion to Conference if they don't pay. I could see Defoe maybe going to another club, but he will get nowhere near the wages he is getting here, and any club taking him is probably only looking at him short term, as his injury probs and age mean you can't be building any future plans with him in it. I could see a mid table or slightly higher club maybe with an injury crisis moving for him in Jan. Pay as you play deals aren't unheard of in PL with older, injury ridden players- see Michael Owen at Utd.
    If he comes back and scores goals then leaves in Jan, that's football. Both Ronaldo and Suarez made it perfectly clear they wanted to leave their respective clubs, then both having record breaking seasons in their last season. Hopefully we can get a similiar response from Defoe should he decide to leave in Jan.There's a few more twists and turns in this story, don't completely write him off yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The day to profess undying love for TFC was Sep 2. That's how they do it.

The fact that he didn't for 3 weeks thereafter, well, if it seems "normal" to you, to each his own. Nobody can say for sure. I say he was pissed, he had a deal, and someone reneged.
    Even with the tweet on the 6th, it's hard to argue with the above and impossible to doubt what these rumours did. They could've been quashed much quicker with a little more effort.

I am actually gobsmacked that their are people out there who find Defoe's performance today credible. This "the culture of talking to the press is different here" line is beyond belief.

That was a total farce. I mean it doesn't really matter, but holy smokes, I hate it when people treat me like I just fell off the turnip truck, I don't start making excuses for it.

Hope he scores 10 goals before he leaves. No need for any more public statements from him.
    I thought some of the feedback on the interview was informative and not entirely one-sided to the positive on here. I don't tune in for the very frustration you're experiencing.

And if I may keep agreeing with you this circus around the interview really is so far away from what we all find important right now and that's the goals he'll score for us while he's here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Doesn't really matter what he said in the press conference. Truth or not he really couldn't say anything other than what was said.

What matters is what is said behind the scenes.

Based on QPR public quotes ...

The only public QPR quotes were from Harry - he's not exactly into truth.

The TL and the TB quotes are a bit more revealing.

Base ur narrative on sold ground, not English footie talk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have no interest in hearing his interview. I hope they never put another mic infront of him until Christmas. Let's just get on with it and make the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The only public QPR quotes were from Harry - he's not exactly into truth.

The TL and the TB quotes are a bit more revealing.

Base ur narrative on sold ground, not English footie talk.

Nope. Tony Fernandes made comments on Sky Sports News on deadline day "We came close, we agreed to player terms and Toronto pulled out last minute. We'll be back in January" also refered to us as "the Americans'

https://audioboom.com/boos/2441402-t...ain-in-january

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all defoe has too do is score some goals and get us into the playoffs - instant legend despite all this noise. lez go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't believe any word coming out of Arry's mouth. That's what I learned following Spurs for those years. He also had no interest in being the England manager....And that goes for the whole QPR camp too.

I get that people are angry with him (I had the same reaction to MeRo, so I'm not about to tell people they are wrong to be pissed). But we are far more dangerous a club, and far more difficult to play against with him in the lineup. We have something like 1.8 points per game with him, and somewhere around 1.1 without him. If we make the playoffs it'll be in large part because of him. We badly need to make the playoffs. We still have a good chance if he is playing. I don't think we have much chance if he isn't. Bottom line to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Don't believe any word coming out of Arry's mouth. That's what I learned following Spurs for those years. He also had no interest in being the England manager....And that goes for the whole QPR camp too.

I get that people are angry with him (I had the same reaction to MeRo, so I'm not about to tell people they are wrong to be pissed). But we are far more dangerous a club, and far more difficult to play against with him in the lineup. We have something like 1.8 points per game with him, and somewhere around 1.1 without him. If we make the playoffs it'll be in large part because of him. We badly need to make the playoffs. We still have a good chance if he is playing. I don't think we have much chance if he isn't. Bottom line to me.

Old 'Arry up to his tricks again. He thought Remy was leaving for Liverpool in the summer then they backed out. Harry said Remy would remain a QPR player and the fans were happy enough with that, but then he goes to Chelsea. QPR didn't bring anyone in, I think at last min they may have panicked and tried as Harry does and buy another of his old players- didn't pan out. Other alternative is they had no intention of bringing in another striker and in an affort to appease their fan base, claim the "Americans" as we referred to backed out at the last minute- a hard luck story. They knew Remy wanted out long before transfer window. Charlie Austin is a good championship player, not a PL player for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie Austin reminds me a lot of a younger Andy Johnson. I bet he'll do fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    all defoe has too do is score some goals and get us into the playoffs - instant legend despite all this noise. lez go
    Exactly, I just want Defoe to play as if he means it, and if January he moves on, he moves on.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Becauee owners have never been caught making up stories to show there trying to do something to keep a fan base happy.
    Considering the QPR manager talked about how close they were to a deal it sounds pretty likely to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Considering the QPR manager talked about how close they were to a deal it sounds pretty likely to me.

....except that the QPR managers name is Harry....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    I understand that, the same manager who has bought Defoe twice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Charlie Austin reminds me a lot of a younger Andy Johnson. I bet he'll do fine.
    probably more Rickie Lambert in terms of background and physique. He needs help up front, they have Zamora and Vargas at QPR as the other strikers so you an see why they are being linked via media with a "big" name striker. Hard to see any of their current strikers hitting 20+ in the league, which a club who'll be fighting for their lives needs.
    Service from mid will be a big factor for them re goals scored, and that hasn't looked too great so far, although early days and all that.......

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Well don't forget their Chairman Tony Fernades also confirmed Defoe's interest in leaving TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well don't forget their Chairman Tony Fernades also confirmed Defoe's interest in leaving TFC.
    Fernandes is probably less reliable than 'Arry.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Believe whatever you like.

It doesn't make for a happy puzzle regardless of whatever spin is needed for ticket resale time.

Don't care really. Quite happy to shed his contract if we can. Will miss the goals... maybe if no one else scores but the team needs more than Defoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fort York Redcoat: Here is your reply: I don't know how Aston Villa did it, and possibly Nelsen wouldn't have agreed, but if the Tims said "Ryan this isn't good enough, you need to upgrade Fran and Duncan" it would have been possible.

You agree that Nelsen should have seen out the season. Good.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 09-25-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny thing is that, for all the talk of how TFC operates on an English model, the management turmoil here reminds me a lot more of Italy.

In Serie A, managers get canned midseason, with the team in OK form, all the time. (Same for Russia and Turkey and probably a lot of other countries I don't know, btw)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny thing is that, for all the talk of how TFC operates on an English model, the management turmoil here reminds me a lot more of Italy.

In Serie A, managers get canned midseason, with the team in OK form, all the time. (Same for Russia and Turkey and probably a lot of other countries I don't know, btw)
    Or Leeds United.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Nope. Tony Fernandes made comments on Sky Sports News on deadline day "We came close, we agreed to player terms and Toronto pulled out last minute. We'll be back in January" also refered to us as "the Americans'

https://audioboom.com/boos/2441402-t...ain-in-january
    Maybe that's got to do with the fact that both Tim's are Americans and we play in American soccer league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great interview with Vanney on Extratime Radio. More tactical insight in 15 minutes than the last 18 months with Nelson.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime Starts at 25:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Great interview with Vanney on Extratime Radio. More tactical insight in 15 minutes than the last 18 months with Nelson.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime Starts at 25:00.
    Listened to this myself earlier. Very interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney sounds confident and clear in his thinking. I hope things work for him. Nelsen sounded confident and clear in his thinking, but came from the school of giving little to the media. Winter sounded confident and clear in his thinking, as did Preki, Carver, etc.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney sounds confident and clear in his thinking. I hope things work for him. Nelsen sounded confident and clear in his thinking, but came from the school of giving little to the media. Winter sounded confident and clear in his thinking, as did Preki, Carver, etc.....
    Winter never sounded clear nor confident.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fort York Redcoat: Here is your reply: I don't know how Aston Villa did it, and possibly Nelsen wouldn't have agreed, but if the Tims said "Ryan this isn't good enough, you need to upgrade Fran and Duncan" it would have been possible.

You agree that Nelsen should have seen out the season. Good.
    Appreciate it.

I reckon it would've soured relations between Bez and Nelsen to replace his assistants but to flip the "what if" towards Nellie staying - If Bez had done it outside the media and show respect by keeping it in house, leaving it to Nellie to give the reason for the replacement the relationship between manager and coach could've been smoothed over.

Both possibilities now fall in the realm of fantasy now so no reason to get too ruffled about it but its absolutely justified to be extra critical of Vanney or any new coach in the present situation. I'm sure we can agree that we hope the situation gets more relaxed over the next week with a win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Winter never sounded clear nor confident.
    Agree. Neither did Nelsen. He was always awkward in public, there were continual apologies for him (along the lines of "he is way better in person, it doesn't come through on camera")
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree. Neither did Nelsen. He was always awkward in public, there were continual apologies for him (along the lines of "he is way better in person, it doesn't come through on camera")

see Fergie and Dalglish for the very same criticisms, that was an image they wanted to create in front of the media. Clean cut well spoken managers also work, there is no right or wrong way. But I wouldn't discount any manger re his rehearsed answers to questions from media

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually thought Nelsen's press conferences were professional and appropriate, albeit in the style of "I am not going to say anything meaningful". But I didn't put my main point very well: good interview by Vanney, yes, but that doesn't mean that he is a good coach or that he can come in in these circumstances and keep us in the play off position he inherited. I hope he does, but nothing in the play of the team since he started suggests he will.