Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He has to be lying about some/all of this. Why the silence for 5 weeks otherwise?

Doesn't really matter. He wants out, he'll get out. Real question is whether he'll give his all for 5 weeks, or hold back to avert being injured in January.

Only Defoe knows.
    His denials were pretty emphatic and comprehensive, though it still seemed like all info pointed to him wanting out. Maybe they'll work a deal for him to stay for at least another year, but go on loan in the offseason so he can go play for Redknapp?

I dunno. Frankly, part of me doesn't care any more. Like you said - if he wants out, he'll get out.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't watched the presser yet (thanks for the updates though), but still have a few thoughts on what I'm hearing.

*Almost no-one in England comes out and says they want to go. It's either radio silence, or totally commited the cause. Then boom, they are gone. Standard procedure, I don't read anything into it. I remember when Ronaldo spent two seasons saying he wasn't going anywhere, but the move to Madrid was already in place.
    *QPR's situation has changed since the window, and they are staring down the barrel of relegation to the conference if they do not pay of a large chunk of debt. It is possible that Defoe is now looking at a loan instead of transfer there as a result of that.

Finally, I really don't care about the rumors or drama this stage. He's back, he is a TFC player, and a damn good one. As long as he gives it is all for the rest of the season I will be happy. And then whatever happens in the offseason happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Finally, I really don't care about the rumors or drama this stage. He's back, he is a TFC player, and a damn good one. As long as he gives it is all for the rest of the season I will be happy. And then whatever happens in the offseason happens.
    I'm in the same boat. He's plays for TFC now, so I'll support him until the day he leaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I think if you read between the lines. QPR came calling, and he said he was willing if the club was willing, because of the coach. I think he is honest when he said, he didn't think it was going to happen though.
    I think the genesis doesn't matter too much. Whether it's him or them that got the ball rolling he's willing to leave. Hanging out in London for weeks in a cloak of silence doesn't look particularly favourable either for someone who claims he's still 100% behind what's going on here.

But whatever. We need him to make the playoffs, I think that's pretty clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    His denials were pretty emphatic and comprehensive, though it still seemed like all info pointed to him wanting out. Maybe they'll work a deal for him to stay for at least another year, but go on loan in the offseason so he can go play for Redknapp?

I dunno. Frankly, part of me doesn't care any more. Like you said - if he wants out, he'll get out.
    Agreed. I mean, what else can he say for the time being? "Yeah I really wanted that move to London, but it's not on til January!" He'd get savaged in the press until he leaves. One of those cliches in professional sports, we expect everyone to put on their happy face for the press and keep it all behind closed doors. Real, honest, interviews on high stakes stuff like this are rare and make too much noise (eg: Leiweke at Ryerson being too candid).

I don't care. He's good, but there are others. For the time being he can buckle up and help is make the post season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has to be lying about some/all of this. Why the silence for 5 weeks otherwise?

English players rarely talk to the press.

This press conference would be unheard of in the UK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    English players rarely talk to the press.

This press conference would be unheard of in the UK.
    The day to profess undying love for TFC was Sep 2. That's how they do it.

The fact that he didn't for 3 weeks thereafter, well, if it seems "normal" to you, to each his own. Nobody can say for sure. I say he was pissed, he had a deal, and someone reneged.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that he didn't for 3 weeks thereafter, well, if it seems "normal" to you, to each his own.....
    There are a number of indications that Defoe has been surprised how much he has to talk to the media here.

And if anybody has seen a press conference like this, where somebody like, oh I don't know Suarez, for example, have to sit there expressly for the purpose of taking questions from a bunch of reporters about whether he is staying or going, that would be cool to know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact that he didn't for 3 weeks thereafter, well, if it seems "normal" to you, to each his own. Nobody can say for sure. I say he was pissed, he had a deal, and someone reneged.
    To be fair he did tweet out support for the team Sep 6. That's about as much as he could do considering he was in England at the time. Unless you think he should've called in a press conference from London to address transfer rumours...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There are a number of indications that Defoe has been surprised how much he has to talk to the media here.

And if anybody has seen a press conference like this, where somebody like, oh I don't know Suarez, for example, have to sit there expressly for the purpose of taking questions from a bunch of reporters about whether he is staying or going, that would be cool to know.
    In today's age I don't think the limited direct access the media has to the players has much relevancy. Especially when we're comparing cutthroat European Soccer Tabloids desire for information compared to a timid group of Toronto reporters, who rarely ask a real question.

If Luis Suarez flew to Barcelona in the middle of last years transfer window while being linked to a certain local club, you would bet people would be beating down his door looking for a statement, tweet, or some kind of comment. It's be a hell of a lot more ugly than that press conference, that's for sure. Marca would probably have people stalking him 24-7

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    To be fair he did tweet out support for the team Sep 6. That's about as much as he could do considering he was in England at the time. Unless you think he should've called in a press conference from London to address transfer rumours...
    doesn't take much to give a phone interview.

hell, even Vanney had trouble getting hold of Defoe for whatever reason. if your boss has trouble getting hold of you... something's up
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didnt SkySports Deadline Day have Redknapp on who said they agreed personal terms with the player[Defoe] but not the club [TFC]?

EDIT - Sorry it was Tony Fernandes, the QPR owner and chairman, I forget.

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/sta...61079942471680
    Last edited by zeelaw; 09-24-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    doesn't take much to give a phone interview.

hell, even Vanney had trouble getting hold of Defoe for whatever reason. if your boss has trouble getting hold of you... something's up
    Maybe he didn't feel the need to give a phone interview just for transfer speculation that happens every window. Maybe to him it was just something normal that he didn't need to go out of his way to clear up.

Sure Vanney not being able to reach him isn't a good sign, but sometimes shit happens and you miss some calls. It doesn't have to mean Defoe was sulking in England with Vanney desperately leaving voicemails. Can't read into every little thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Didnt SkySports Deadline Day have Redknapp on who said they agreed personal terms with the player[Defoe] but not the club [TFC]?

EDIT - Sorry it was Tony Fernandes, the QPR owner and chairman, I forget.

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/sta...61079942471680
    Becauee owners have never been caught making up stories to show there trying to do something to keep a fan base happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Well I learned the bit about tape, but that isn't the point, I framed it wrong. I see its all under the microscope for you.

Its great we have a place to discuss and share our points of view with respect. I am glad you have your opinion and we can talk about it. Sometimes I can't get into the nitty gritty of how I learn pieces of information, but if you believe that the club sits me down and just dumps all this in a canned presentation one evening, you would be wrong. It accumulates over months and in some cases years. It comes from industry insiders, guys working with the team, players, coaches and ya, sometimes the gm.

Its all good though, believe whom ever you want, I will continue to discuss and try to understand the team with my fellow RPB's and those that visit the board.
    I am baffled by the way you and the moderator treat my comments. Is it the rule on the boards that statements from RPB bosses are not allowed to be questioned? And, just to be clear, I don't believe they sat down and gave you a presentation, that's not how it's done, unless you are unsophisticated. And MLSE isn't that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Ridiculous. To perpetuate your "what if" scenario so we could have the stability (which btw I support. I would've liked to have seen him see out the season) it would mean supplanting his assistants with ones chosen for him by who? Bez? How would that've helped their relations.

Live in the past and lay blame all you like for all it will do. There's a difference between using it as a reference and rehashing it to yell at clouds.
    You shouldn't be moderating if you are going to take that kind of approach to reasonable comments. Your point is remarkably nonsensical, Ill judged and not based on facts, at least not on the observable facts on the pitch, but I can't say that because you are the moderator, even though you attack me personally.

Go ahead, drink the MLSE kool aid. They know far more about football, as do you, than people like Alex Ferguson, who preach stability. Very very few clubs succeed with constant manager turnover, unless you have the wealth of Chelsea.

firing Nelsen before the season is not the same as firing him with a few games left. Surely you recognize that. And If you think the team has been anything but inept under Vanney, you must have missed the games. I hope Vanney succeeds and is the coach for years, but that isn't the evidence before us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Nelsen's run of poor games and firing can be traced to two events earlier in the season: the Warner trade and the World Cup break. It was during those 2 weeks Nelsen decided to completely change the way we play, swapping the counterattacking football that was successful in the beginning of the season to a more possession based system but still relied on a quick transition to create chances. Nelsen never ironed out the issues and teams ultimately exploited us again...

...and again...

to name a few.
    interesting, and more consistent with the results and the play. Something definitely happened then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    No, objective fact is something that is known to be true. Saying "he coached them to third place" does not make it fact. Them being in third place does not make his coaching responsible by extension. Maybe we were in third despite his coaching. Given that we got progressively weaker with almost every game of the season, that would be a more likely of the two scenarios.

And Lumpy, no one has attacked his right to express himself, so why are you taking offense?
    well, the Moderator did say my comments were ridiculous. Not really for him to say.

objective fact: Nelsen was the coach. We were in third. There you go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Says under Vanney "training has been a lot harder, which is good."

THat says a lot, given that he'd already said he respects Nelsen.
    he hasn't been at training under Vanney. Spin, spin, spin.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually gobsmacked that their are people out there who find Defoe's performance today credible. This "the culture of talking to the press is different here" line is beyond belief.

That was a total farce. I mean it doesn't really matter, but holy smokes, I hate it when people treat me like I just fell off the turnip truck, I don't start making excuses for it.

Hope he scores 10 goals before he leaves. No need for any more public statements from him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I am baffled by the way you and the moderator treat my comments. Is it the rule on the boards that statements from RPB bosses are not allowed to be questioned? And, just to be clear, I don't believe they sat down and gave you a presentation, that's not how it's done, unless you are unsophisticated. And MLSE isn't that.
    You can question all you want. It's a discussion board and having different views than others encourages discussion. As for all this stuff about moderators,they are allowed and encouraged to join the debate. When doing so we ask that they don't moderate the thread they are engaging in. So you will notice they don't dangle that in front of you. I would appreciate that you don't hide behind it.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he hasn't been at training under Vanney. Spin, spin, spin.
    If I recall correctly he was saying that he had spoken to some teammates who told him that, and he commented that it was good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    You can question all you want. It's a discussion board and having different views than others encourages discussion. As for all this stuff about moderators,they are allowed and encouraged to join the debate. When doing so we ask that they don't moderate the thread they are engaging in. So you will notice they don't dangle that in front of you. I would appreciate that you don't hide behind it.
    Phil, I truly don't get why you and the moderator have to take personal digs every time you respond to my posts. But perhaps you are right, I should move on and not post anymore about Nelsen is a thread entitled "Nelsen out".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If I recall correctly he was saying that he had spoken to some teammates who told him that, and he commented that it was good.
    Yep people claiming spin while putting there own spin on the comments. Its amazing what happens when you listen to the player.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil, I truly don't get why you and the moderator have to take personal digs every time you respond to my posts. But perhaps you are right, I should move on and not post anymore about Nelsen is a thread entitled "Nelsen out".
    I don't know how many times I can tell you to post and believe what you want...and to feel free to discuss it here. My moderator comment was in response to you directly calling out the integrity of the mods. I gave you a quick run down that the mod title does not inhibit their engagement and we have accountability in place. I just saw a number of posts bringing up moderators and questioning it and I asked you please not use that as a defence mechanism going forward.

It's getting way off topic now let's be done with this back and forth please.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually gobsmacked that their are people out there who find Defoe's performance today credible. This "the culture of talking to the press is different here" line is beyond belief.

That was a total farce. I mean it doesn't really matter, but holy smokes, I hate it when people treat me like I just fell off the turnip truck, I don't start making excuses for it.

Hope he scores 10 goals before he leaves. No need for any more public statements from him.
    He was carefully avoiding lying until he talked about his hernia. But he was being very careful in what he said, as well; he said a team came in for him; he never said he would have turned it down. He's coming from a culture where players are never fully straight about this stuff and have little compunction in setting the stage they'd like.

I got the sense he's committed to the rest of this season and the playoffs, which again is what he talked about; that doesn't mean he won't be gone in January if he'd prefer to live in London and play in the Premiership.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not taking personal digs. He's just stating a direct fact, which is that he doesn't want the argument of mods being unfair repeatedly brought up when they aren't do so.

People disagreeing with you, even vehemently, does not constitute attacking you dude. YOu've said lots of things on here over the last few months that I've agreed with, too. This issue just isn't one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"the business of business is 'business'".....basically Defoe had some cleanup work to do and thats all there was to it....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And, just to be clear, I don't believe they sat down and gave you a presentation, that's not how it's done, unless you are unsophisticated. And MLSE isn't that.
    You realize that Phil as the head of a supporters group gets private meetings with the club all the time? These are not the PR "spin" meetings that ordinary schmucks like you or I would be invited to.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fort York is not moderating this thread because he is involved in the discussion, so it is inappropriate to keep pointing out his moderator status, he isn't one for the purpose of this thread.

As a currently non-involved moderator (except to moderate the situation), I need to draw your attention to the board rules that you read when you signed up. Attacks on the moderator team is a bannable offense. If you have a problem with how a moderator is "moderating," you need to take it offline and PM another moderator, or Phil or Wagner, not throw it out on the board. Now please go back on topic.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doesn't really matter what he said in the press conference. Truth or not he really couldn't say anything other than what was said.

What matters is what is said behind the scenes.

Based on QPR public quotes about him wanting to leave and TL saying he doesn't think he will be back in January and the infamous get the hell out... It's pretty clear that a lot has been said behind the scenes.

The only question is whether there is a handshake agreement between the buyers and sellers. In which case, I suspect Defoe's injury will be closely monitored and he may not see much action at all. Each side will want to guard against losing what they all have agreed to.

If it's all up in the air and no understanding has been reached then he may play more.

All that is left to do is wait and see