Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1593
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be an interesting development.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sure would be interesting on all kinds of levels.

The only thing that makes this soap like drama more interesting is a Danny Koevermans type career ending injury between now and QPR.

TFC thus forced to buy him out or else lose the DP slot.

It couldn't happen... could it? I mean really how much drama should befall any one team? There isn't a curse or anything..... that scenario won't happen... right?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Sure would be interesting on all kinds of levels.

The only thing that makes this soap like drama more interesting is a Danny Koevermans type career ending injury....

Thinking an injury would be "interesting" indicates that you have crossed the threshold from discussing reality to thinking of this all as a video game.

There is nothing "interesting" about a career ending ACL injury.

That's like saying "Well it would be interesting for my workplace if that guy who is doing so well got hit by a bus." That's not "interesting". That's "unable to seperate theory from humanity".

I hope you meant "Well I suppose it could get worse if this happened."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I examine the squad we have this season and the one we had last season and thus disagree.

Nobody is happy with this.

But we were going nowhere with Nelsen.

As for Vanney, I don't think he can turn around this ship that quick. The mentality is too fragile. But, under Nelsen, we'd be in a death march right now.

Nelsen had us in third. Firing him WHEN he was fired made the uncertainty caused by Tim L's departure worse, and it appears Vanney can't fix it. We were awful versus Philly and not much better for the first 65 minutes versus Chicago, two mediocre teams. As I have said elsewhere, it isn't fair to Vanney but the timing of all of this was nuts. It turned instability into a potential crisis. Oh please let us make the playoffs.....
    Last edited by MightyDM; 09-16-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Nelsen had us in third. Firing him WHEN he was fired made the uncertainty caused by Tim L's departure worse, and it appears Vanney can't fix it. We were awful versus Philly and not much better for the first 65 minutes versus Chicago, two mediocre teams. As I have said elsewhere, it isn't fair to Vanney but the timing of all of this was nuts. It turned instability into a potential crisis. Oh please let us make the playoffs.....
    plainly, there was just no coming back from the 3-0 revs game. I've watched a lot of lacklustre TFC teams over the last 8 years, but that was by far the most disappointing. All indications are that nobody respected Nelsen or his staff in the locker room either. We'd likely be in the same position with Nelsen at the helm atm. at least with Vanney the team seems galvanized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    That would be an interesting development.
    TFC need Defoe to have a shot at making the playoffs. TFC need to make the playoffs in order to not watch STH's drop tickets en masse. I'm guessing that is why they did not sell Defoe. And I'm guessing they told him to come back, finish the season, and they'll let him go in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    plainly, there was just no coming back from the 3-0 revs game. I've watched a lot of lacklustre TFC teams over the last 8 years, but that was by far the most disappointing. All indications are that nobody respected Nelsen or his staff in the locker room either. We'd likely be in the same position with Nelsen at the helm atm. at least with Vanney the team seems galvanized.
    Not as bad as when we missed the playoffs after getting blown out by a very bad NYRB team. That was the lowest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    TFC need Defoe to have a shot at making the playoffs. TFC need to make the playoffs in order to not watch STH's drop tickets en masse. I'm guessing that is why they did not sell Defoe. And I'm guessing they told him to come back, finish the season, and they'll let him go in January.
    Yeah, this was my take on the situation all along. It makes the most sense for all parties involved, and allows both sides to save face.

At least Defoe has finally come out of hiding and confirmed his intentions.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thinking an injury would be "interesting" indicates that you have crossed the threshold from discussing reality to thinking of this all as a video game.

There is nothing "interesting" about a career ending ACL injury.

That's like saying "Well it would be interesting for my workplace if that guy who is doing so well got hit by a bus." That's not "interesting". That's "unable to seperate theory from humanity".

I hope you meant "Well I suppose it could get worse if this happened."
    Interesting in the form of hoping the mess couldn't be worse and it's a huge gamble.

Of course a career ending injury isn't being wished on anyone. Defoe's medical history though would indicate that his career will most likely be shortened. I am commenting on our bad luck in that what would be the odds that it happens over the next 6-7 games?

That would be unfortunate for Defoe, though on the plus side for him he would still be compensated. It would be horrible for the team as they would be saddled with a huge contract and buyout if they ever want to use the DP slot. Given the huge amount, that may effectively kill the 3rd DP slot until that is paid off.

If anything, I want him healthy for the next few months so that the sale can go through. Whether he has an impact on playoffs is really up to however he plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galvanizing under Vanney, not yet.
    we have been dire so far, yes we pushed on against Chicago in last few mins and drew a game we should have lost, but we had similiar performances under Nelsen also, such as Columbus.
    Hopefully we can push on from here, but we still have looked a mess under him. I have said before, Defoe earlier in season merely papered over the cracks in this team. Any manager coming into this club will struggle, I don't care what formations you like etc, the personnel just isn't there. Defence is a mess, no creativity in mid from any areas, either centrally or from wings. Bradley doesn't know what role he is playing, agaisnt Chicago we were told he would be playing a more attacking role, yet he was still at times in 2nd half deepest player back picking up ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best outcome (at this point, I guess) for everyone is that JD has a decent end of the season performance, maintains some value in the January window and gets off the books, opening the DP slot.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    we have been dire so far, yes we pushed on against Chicago in last few mins and drew a game we should have lost,
    I agree we haven't galvanized but we should've won that game as much as lost it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/in...-old-tfc-r4859

No discussions about the new assistant coach? I hope this wasn't the guy he was rumored to be bringing in to help with defence.. how is this any different from O'leary. I understand that he may well be a good coach, but doesn't leave me with much confidence to hear that as with the old, it's someone with limited experience at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its been confirmed. Here is the entire coaching team: http://t.co/l6hkOdsRyb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have been dire so far, yes we pushed on against Chicago in last few mins and drew a game we should have lost, but we had similiar performances under Nelsen also, such as Columbus.
    Hopefully we can push on from here, but we still have looked a mess under him. I have said before, Defoe earlier in season merely papered over the cracks in this team. Any manager coming into this club will struggle, I don't care what formations you like etc, the personnel just isn't there. Defence is a mess, no creativity in mid from any areas, either centrally or from wings. Bradley doesn't know what role he is playing, agaisnt Chicago we were told he would be playing a more attacking role, yet he was still at times in 2nd half deepest player back picking up ball.
    but the team is playing there hearts out, which is something that wasn't happening under Nelsen. being unfamiliar with new tactics and retaining old habits is what has set the team back under the Vanney, not a lack of effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Its been confirmed. Here is the entire coaching team: http://t.co/l6hkOdsRyb
    have to say, looks like a pretty good group.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    respectfully I think Defoe , unless he just laughs it off and goes for it will do us more harm than good . If he takes away from Dero playing we're done , If he doesn't run back at all times he'll kill the heart Gilberto always gives us . Has anyone actually watched Defoe on the pitch , a lazy sod unless he gets his 'perfect' feed . He can helpus but only with a complete turnaround from his past 'don't want to be here' attitude. Right now the team is mad and that is thew best place this team has ever been in this year . No drama , just backs to the wall now and finally thats were it is always supposed to be not fabricated as it was under Nelsen . I don't know what it says, but I'm looking forward to watching and seeing the reaction from the players Sunday . I was NOT looking forward to any games after the New England fiasco ! ..If we don't rely on the guys with heart in these last games , we might as well flip the page . Dero and the likes have earned it . And NOT last min subs either, I'd like 45 mins . If Vanney is smart ,(and I say he is), he is already talking to those he knows who he can count on to pull the team . But (respectfully) , I say here we don't need Defoe to make the play-offs . Yes we could probably use him IN the play-offs , but that will be ? , another bridge .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is very sensible , and sadly true however again , thru some kind of chaos theory I think everyone will find a way , and it won't be pretty . Most importantly Bradley now has to find a way to get out of his comfort zone and attack . At the end of Chicago I could have sworn Dero and Bradley started playing off one another .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have to say, looks like a pretty good group.
    The "director of cognitive development" was actually hired in March:

http://www.ahwatukee.com/sports/arti...a4bcf887a.html

Wonder if Nelsen had a problem with that, i.e. use of analytics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Bez's quotes from the long weekend definitely made it sound like he most certainly did.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the feeling that in about 10 years, we will look upon Nelsen as a slightly more long serving version of Carver.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Yup, Nelsen did not use analytics or tape even. They didn't study opponents, just practice the same formation and style. A lot of the players were frustrated with the lack of 'coaching' going on. As well, the systems being adopted should reduce injury as they will be measuring players 'load' or workrate through training and games. Right now the team is far below optimum 'game shape'.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Initially i was skeptical of the 'director of cognitive develpment' title but then i realized it was foolish of me, especially as I work in mental health. I suspect that the role of the director will be somewhere between a therapist and a motivational coach

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Initially i was skeptical of the 'director of cognitive develpment' title but then i realized it was foolish of me, especially as I work in mental health. I suspect that the role of the director will be somewhere between a therapist and a motivational coach
    every team should have a sports psychologist of some sort
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Yup, Nelsen did not use analytics or tape even. They didn't study opponents, just practice the same formation and style. A lot of the players were frustrated with the lack of 'coaching' going on. As well, the systems being adopted should reduce injury as they will be measuring players 'load' or workrate through training and games. Right now the team is far below optimum 'game shape'.
    Makes sense, and would explain why our strategy under Nelsen was figured out in relatively short order by most teams in the league as the season progressed. If it were not for an opportunistic offense earlier in the season, this team wouldn't even be within sniffing distance of a playoff spot right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shouldn't this have been discussed with Nelsen in detail ie coaching strategy, use of analytics etc the minute the Tim's came to the club. They knew he was a rookie, the club were investing millions, shouldn't part of their due diligence have been to ensure the manager was on board with their vision.
    If true, and I have to say I am sceptical of anything coming out of the club officially or from "sources" at the minute, then Nelsen should have been let go a long time ago. He was playing PL not that long ago where the most modern coaching practices are commonplace, why was he so adverse to adopting them, surely this reluctance just didn't happen overnight.
    This could be a case of the Tim's throwing him under the bus so to speak, it could be complete failing on Nelsen's part, and maybe we need to hear his version also, but whatever it is both Tim's are both have to shoulder their blame also in this mess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mindblowing on so many levels.

How a man that played the game for as long as he did and such a high level could think that simply training was enough.
    How anyone could hire a coach that had no ability nor motivation to learn to coach.
    How after signing big-name players such as Defoe and Bradley, they didn't think there'd be a mutiny at some point.
    How they could risk their investment on a coach that doesn't coach.
    How he lasted as long as he did.

If this is the case Leiweke was simply using Nelsen for his connections and it really goes to show how short-sighted the strategy was, and how bound to fail from the beginning this team was. Leiweke's strategy was simply trying to out-buy everyone. Ironically, a QPR approach (something Nelsen was familiar with).

I mean, I've had men's league teams that were more tactically adept!

Bush league stuff. I'd be pissed if I was Bradley, and I'd want to go home if I was Defoe. About sums it all up actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Felix Magath out at Fulham. Too bad, he was a great example of how well it usually works to fire your manager late in the season.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingvikingstad View Post
    Mindblowing on so many levels.

How a man that played the game for as long as he did and such a high level could think that simply training was enough.
    How anyone could hire a coach that had no ability nor motivation to learn to coach.
    How after signing big-name players such as Defoe and Bradley, they didn't think there'd be a mutiny at some point.
    How they could risk their investment on a coach that doesn't coach.
    How he lasted as long as he did.

If this is the case Leiweke was simply using Nelsen for his connections and it really goes to show how short-sighted the strategy was, and how bound to fail from the beginning this team was. Leiweke's strategy was simply trying to out-buy everyone. Ironically, a QPR approach (something Nelsen was familiar with).

I mean, I've had men's league teams that were more tactically adept!

Bush league stuff. I'd be pissed if I was Bradley, and I'd want to go home if I was Defoe. About sums it all up actually.
    One quote that caught my eye was that Tim B gave Nelsen the full year that Tim L promised. I wonder how tied the hands were with that commitment coming from the CEO was.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shouldn't this have been discussed with Nelsen in detail ie coaching strategy, use of analytics etc the minute the Tim's came to the club. They knew he was a rookie, the club were investing millions, shouldn't part of their due diligence have been to ensure the manager was on board with their vision.
    If true, and I have to say I am sceptical of anything coming out of the club officially or from "sources" at the minute, then Nelsen should have been let go a long time ago. He was playing PL not that long ago where the most modern coaching practices are commonplace, why was he so adverse to adopting them, surely this reluctance just didn't happen overnight.
    This could be a case of the Tim's throwing him under the bus so to speak, it could be complete failing on Nelsen's part, and maybe we need to hear his version also, but whatever it is both Tim's are both have to shoulder their blame also in this mess
    The fact that the players quit on the coach tells me there were some major divisions in the room and the general feeling was one of disdain for the entire coaching staff. If they were not allowed to play or challenge yourself as a player in training or game prep then you are going to tune the coach out. I would bet this is what happened.

CoachGT and I drove home after the NER game and pointed out that the team has giiven up on Nelsen. It was that obvious to us. We speculated on when the club would act on it, the only surprise was how fast Tim B moved on it. That is not the normal Toronto way and I think a lot of emotional shock was spent on that item alone. This whole thing happening now is the team doing everything it can to salvage playoffs.