Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Please, please, please let's finally hire an experienced coach. No more experiments with rookies.
    This x 1000!

I've always thought Nelson was a terrible coach so this is great news for me. But please for the love of God let's hire someone who's actually coached and had success with first team football before. Someone whose right hand man isn't a NCAA Div 3 coach.

I've been a fan of Bez's personnel moves over the last year. And good on him for getting rid of Nelson who's been continually outcoached and looked at a loss for ideas all year. But it's crucial to get the next hire right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I totally get this POV and I don't think Bez should be getting a free pass on anything.

However, I question who wanted to go out and get the likes of Oduro and company. That did not make the team better IMO, it just steered us more towards the direction of playing with athleticism and without much skill.

Yes, our team needed to get more pace and athletic but that shouldn't have been done at the expense of football IQ. Our ability to break down a set defence currently is basically nil, because we don't have enough guys who make smart runs into space or have the skill on the ball to hit passes into the right places. We rely entirely on the counter attack, which is flawed.

Oduro is a massive upgrade over Rey.

I don't think you should but the ability to break down teams on the players. Tons of players have had difficulty doing so before they've gone to teams with good coaching in this league. Kamara at SKC, Neagle at Seattle. both were just sort of aimless athletes until they went to teams who new how to work off the ball. I'm sure the same thing could happen to Oduro if he was in the right hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this press conference going to be on TV?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez is an idiot. He's a 30 year old lawyer who decided all of a sudden he is a sports psychologist and that he can motivate better than the coach who has played in high pressure before. Complete BS what he did. And now to show he has some balls he's firing Nelsen. BS. He's an amateur and he's gotten us in a mess. Firing a manager at this stage never works. Typical TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be the asshole and say this.

I'm glad he's fired.

I hope Defoe leaves

I don't care about where we finish in the standings cause it has nothing to do with our future.

I wish we had stayed with the Total football idea that we brought it and never let it get backstabbed. I wonder where we'd be right now.

This club is a mess…just like its been since day 1.

Every single person….from top Executive at MLSE right down to the supporters (myself included) should take some of the blame. We get what we pay for and demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Bez is an idiot. He's a 30 year old lawyer who decided all of a sudden he is a sports psychologist and that he can motivate better than the coach who has played in high pressure before. Complete BS what he did. And now to show he has some balls he's firing Nelsen. BS. He's an amateur and he's gotten us in a mess. Firing a manager at this stage never works. Typical TFC.
    Canary- I agree that this never works and brings us back to square one. Nelsen wasn't great but we could win with him as the manager...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we don't really know that the progression of events was that linear do we? Without context and more back story it may certainly seem that way. Currently I am leaning to this was building up and yesterday's game could have been the tipping point to accelerate the process. However I don't think bez alone fired his head coach and all assistants in a gut reaction type of thing. Idk tho. Multiple angles as always.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    This x 1000!

I've always thought Nelson was a terrible coach so this is great news for me. But please for the love of God let's hire someone who's actually coached and had success with first team football before. Someone whose right hand man isn't a NCAA Div 3 coach.

I've been a fan of Bez's personnel moves over the last year. And good on him for getting rid of Nelson who's been continually outcoached and looked at a loss for ideas all year. But it's crucial to get the next hire right.
    Agreed. The early season victories were often the result of opposition failing to mark Defoe, much like we failed yesterday with Nguyen. In those games, Nelsen favoured tactics which allowed the other team to control the game. We were lucky to have the Brazilian in goal, and were lucky Defoe was brilliant. Now, Defoe is either sitting, or not effective (defenders arent fooled anymore by those long passes), Our keeper is average, and Nelsen's team formation and tactics are costing us wins. We need a leader not a student at the helm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armen Bedakian@ArmenBedakian 21s
    Pictures of entire coachiny staff removed from Kia Training ground. #TFC #MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fine to have as an opinion but it carries little weight to me because the guy you're defending was never a coach. We hired a player.

He's not even an amateur coach (someone who retired and coached much lower levels like Dichio)

So if you don't like Bez as an "amateur" that's totally justified. But maybe you should apply that level of expectation and evaluation to the central defender we named as a "coach".

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So put yourself in Bez' shoes. Assume that there wasn't a rift leading into this.

What exactly do you do when your coach makes front page headlines with his comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I'll be the asshole and say this.

I'm glad he's fired.

I hope Defoe leaves

I don't care about where we finish in the standings cause it has nothing to do with our future.

I wish we had stayed with the Total football idea that we brought it and never let it get backstabbed. I wonder where we'd be right now.

This club is a mess…just like its been since day 1.

Every single person….from top Executive at MLSE right down to the supporters (myself included) should take some of the blame. We get what we pay for and demand.
    THANK YOU.
    I agree.... 100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit of rumour that Defoe is being loaned to QPR???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in regards to bez being somewhat responsible i dont know what to think

i defintely side with nelsen in that bez shouldnt have stuck his nose in the first teams business so publicly, he is a gm when a move needs to be made or contracts need to be reorganized hes our guy but what does he know about "must-win games" from playing 15 odd matches in uslpro???

this is why i hate the two tier management system with a coach and a gm because a certain amount of cohesion is lost between management and coaching staffs

bottom line is we dont know if nelsen has asked for personnel upgrades so we dont know if bezs inactivity is a lack of ability or nelsen not wanting to disturb the dressing room

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we could overpay and steal current MLS coaches right now, who would you want?

I want Porter or Vermes or Heaps.

Who would you want?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotiarae View Post
    Bit of rumour that Defoe is being loaned to QPR???
    Yes, and its more than rumour. Defoe hates MLS, wants out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont like vermes or porter..

pareja or robinson

arena would be the penultimate imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    So put yourself in Bez' shoes. Assume that there wasn't a rift leading into this.

What exactly do you do when your coach makes front page headlines with his comments?
    Hey Pookie, how was the game yesterday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Thanks for the concrete statement, but do you have any source.. where does this info come from that he just hates it? Like the lack of quality? playing times? media? Pretty general statement.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why is the concept of a GM asking more from his team and players so foreign?

It happens ALL the time in sport.

Nelsen didn't get upset at Bez when he said that making the playoffs wasn't necessarily going to cost Nelsen his job. He didn't get upset when Tim L promised the playoffs. Here are some other fun Ryan Nelsen quotes:

On the pressure of playing in Toronto and the expectations of playoffs:

“I don’t have to tell them anything, they love it,” said Nelsen said Tuesday. “They thrive under it. This is what professional football is all about.” - Feb '14

“You want to push the limits,” added Nelsen. “You want to try and win every game. You want everybody to go after you and that’s how it’s going to be.” - Feb '14

"It doesn't matter who you put out on the field, the club's got to learn how to win ... we know we've got a long way to go…. I say that with one side of my face. The other side says if there's a group of guys that can live up to any expectations, I feel like these guys will really enjoy it and will enjoy the pressure."

"It will be different for them because we will have a target on our back. Everybody will want to beat us. Everybody wanted to play us because they knew they could beat us in the past. Now they'll want to play us because they will want to try to prove a point to beat us.

"It's a different mentality and it's going to be difficult. But it's a lovely challenge to be in." - Jan '14

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey Pookie, how was the game yesterday?
    I watched it from my couch. Beer was good. you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez did that by thinking his Toronto Sport and Social Club playing qualifies him to be an expertly motivator.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was one of the tickets I sold you Pookie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mcolvy View Post
    Canary- I agree that this never works and brings us back to square one. Nelsen wasn't great but we could win with him as the manager...
    Agreed as well. This could deep six the entire season and it also gives the impression (which might be true) that the GM is thin-skinned and if you don't haul the party line, you're deep sixed. Doesn't bode well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bez did that by thinking his Toronto Sport and Social Club playing qualifies him to be an expertly motivator.
    Well, hopefully the new guy doesn't come in and agitate anyone by suggesting that they need to try and win a few games.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It was one of the tickets I sold you Pookie.
    Sorry dude. Whoever you sold it to wasn't me. I was no where near the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isn't this all based off this tweet?

Neil Davidson
    Verified account@NeilMDavidson
    #torontofc fires Ryan Nelsen and entire coaching staff. Jermain Defoe could be next to go -- to QPR -- in fallout of Leiweke departure.

And that tweet is pure speculation. "Could" doesn't sound concrete.
    If this is not where you are getting your evidence from, then where is the evidence that it is more than a rumour as you say?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not his job to motivate the players, but it is his job to set a standard for this team to be at. Can you honestly say that this team has been playing to it's full potential since the world cup? IMO we got found out tactically. If Bez as GM doesn't think we are where we need to be right now then all power to him.
    Side before self, every time - The one and only Billy Bremner
    Supporting TFC and Leeds United : Never a dull moment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry dude. Whoever you sold it to wasn't me. I was no where near the game
    Wrong Pooky, sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    isn't this all based off this tweet?

Neil Davidson
    Verified account@NeilMDavidson
    #torontofc fires Ryan Nelsen and entire coaching staff. Jermain Defoe could be next to go -- to QPR -- in fallout of Leiweke departure.

And that tweet is pure speculation. "Could" doesn't sound concrete.
    If this is not where you are getting your evidence from, then where is the evidence that it is more than a rumour as you say?
    Agreed, just rumour, let it go, where I heard this is not verifiable. Wait until 4pm.